Whats your opinion of Jimmy Ballard?

Dan42nepa

Jimmy Ballard is THE man. I wish I could've taken lessons with him. He may be opinionated at times but his fundamentals are so solid. I guess because of his personality many people in the business don't like him, especially because he's developed a swing to teach he's never ever changed, like he says, "I wrote one book, why writing another if I'm going to repeat myself."

On the downside, I think you need to get supervision to get his swing right, otherwise it may be misleading when you're working on your own.

• Like 2

Jimmy Ballard is THE man. I wish I could've taken lessons with him. He may be opinionated at times but his fundamentals are so solid. I guess because of his personality many people in the business don't like him, especially because he's developed a swing to teach he's never ever changed, like he says, "I wrote one book, why writing another if I'm going to repeat myself."

On the downside, I think you need to get supervision to get his swing right, otherwise it may be misleading when you're working on your own.

Very good post! I would contend that all golf instruction can be misleading to someone without supervision. But Jimmy's is no different.

I remember reading Leadbetter's first golf book, The Golf Swing, where he talks about the dog wagging the tail and I realized then that this guy just ripped off Ballard's ideas and published it like it was his own. What a rip off artist he was.

Still is!!!

Have a great week Bro :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Very good post! I would contend that all golf instruction can be misleading to someone without supervision. But Jimmy's is no different.

This is so true regarding "supervision" or another set of eyes, with them hopefully being from the same school that you have read about and are attempting to ingrain.

Maddie's "lineage" is Tommy Armour through Pete Snead and to a lesser degree John Redman. She doesn't believe that she has ever had a student who has read Tommy Armour's or John Redman''s books and attempt to take those swings and make them their own do it correctly without changes having to be made because of misinterpretations.

It really really helps to find one of their proteges.

Have a nice day :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Ok all you Ballard students, I read his book when it first came out and bought his first video. His wife told me to hang on to the video because it is the first golf instruction video every made.

I have asked this questions many times but still confused about it.

What does springing the shaft mean?

Jimmy Ballard's wife tried to explain it to me but she went over my head. Can someone else take a shot at explaining what "springing the shaft means"?

• Like 1

I think if you change "springing" the shaft to "flexing and releasing the shaft flex" it's clear.

The act of flexing the shaft at the beginning of the downswing using a powerful leg drive while keeping the butt of the club pointed to the center nearing impact with arm/body connection. This initially loads/flexes the shaft, which is then released/unflexed when you hit against the left side. The body stops going forward but the flexible shaft continues the momentum built by weight transfer, ultimately unflexing.

The more powerful the forward weight transfer is, the more the shaft flexes and the more energy is stored in the shaft - eventually, the energy is powerfully released as the shaft springs back, recovering from it's flexed position.

A major key is maintaining the triangle of arms and body thru impact. If the arms are allowed to run ahead, speed is scrubbed off - the shaft releases but it's applied clubhead speed is decreased/offset by the speed of the forward speed of the arms thru impact. (Which has more clubhead speed at impact - a club swung at 100mph with the club butt anchored at the end or - a club swung at 100mph but the butt of the club continues to more at 10mph thu impact?)

It's also a matter of sequencing and timing - you can't get onto your front foot and rotate ahead before the arms near imact.

Henrik Stenson is the perfect example of the proper sequencing - check the impact position below - hands still pointing at center at impact.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=henrik+stenson+photo+at+impact&view=detailv2&id=FADE906AE289890B35482DB36DBDD398BCD024DE&ccid=ADzTyA%2FM&simid=607991156335444072&thid=OIP.M003cd3c80fcc56de7152fa04dca7cba1o0&ajaxhist=0&first=1&selectedindex=1

You want to fling the clubhead past the hands at maximum speed for maximum distance!

This is what Sam Byrd's "pull with the left hand and push with the right" is all about. Jimmy Ballard talks about the" inner and outer" forces - the inner force is the left hand pull - the outer force is the right hand push..... and why you need relaxed arms to perform the Ballard swing effectively!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I think if you change "springing" the shaft to "flexing and releasing the shaft flex" it's clear.

The act of flexing the shaft at the beginning of the downswing using a powerful leg drive while keeping the butt of the club pointed to the center nearing impact with arm/body connection. This initially loads/flexes the shaft, which is then released/unflexed when you hit against the left side. The body stops going forward but the flexible shaft continues the momentum built by weight transfer, ultimately unflexing.

The more powerful the forward weight transfer is, the more the shaft flexes and the more energy is stored in the shaft - eventually, the energy is powerfully released as the shaft springs back, recovering from it's flexed position.

A major key is maintaining the triangle of arms and body thru impact. If the arms are allowed to run ahead, speed is scrubbed off - the shaft releases but it's applied clubhead speed is decreased/offset by the speed of the forward speed of the arms thru impact. (Which has more clubhead speed at impact - a club swung at 100mph with the club butt anchored at the end or - a club swung at 100mph but the butt of the club continues to more at 10mph thu impact?)

It's also a matter of sequencing and timing - you can't get onto your front foot and rotate ahead before the arms near imact.

Henrik Stenson is the perfect example of the proper sequencing - check the impact position below - hands still pointing at center at impact.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=henrik+stenson+photo+at+impact&view=detailv2&id=FADE906AE289890B35482DB36DBDD398BCD024DE&ccid=ADzTyA%2FM&simid=607991156335444072&thid=OIP.M003cd3c80fcc56de7152fa04dca7cba1o0&ajaxhist=0&first=1&selectedindex=1

You want to fling the clubhead past the hands at maximum speed for maximum distance!

This is what Sam Byrd's "pull with the left hand and push with the right" is all about. Jimmy Ballard talks about the" inner and outer" forces - the inner force is the left hand pull - the outer force is the right hand push..... and why you need relaxed arms to perform the Ballard swing effectively!

Texsport

Nice explanation!!

Ya saved me from going off on one of my discombobulated esoteric responses, lmao

Here's a nice explanation from the Elk regarding springing the shaft....

http://vimeorpeat.com/play/bE9oaUVRempIZHc=/spring-the-shaft-2-episode-267.html

Have a great week Gents :)

Fairways & Greens Connection & Springing 4ever,

RP

http://www.bing.com/...selectedindex=1

Texsport

Springing the shaft. That must be one of those "deceptive feels".

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Texsport

It's not deceptive at all. "Springing the Shaft" is all about leverage. There's countless ways to describe it. "Texsport" did a fine job. It's similar to leveling or squaring up a baseball bat to impact. You don't pull the bat and hold your wrist c0ck to do it, you use your right side starting from the ground to square it up. Only way to hit with power. The sooner you begin to put leverage on the bat or the golf club in this case...the more power you'll store leading up to impact and shoot it through. Watch films of Jack Nicklaus and see how the shaft reacts. Nobody "sprung" it better than Jack in his prime.

Ok all you Ballard students, I read his book when it first came out and bought his first video. His wife told me to hand on to the video because it is the first golf instruction video every made.

Jimmy Ballard's wife tried to explain it to me but she went over my head. Can someone else take a shot at explaining what "spinging the shaft means"?

If you have a copy of Jimmy Ballard's first instructional DVD watch it over and over. It might be some of the finest instruction available. I've never seen the swing and the proper movements explained better. It's actual shot in Pell City, AL and not Doral as the video suggests. It's brilliant. After watching you'll realize why every pro from all over the world wanted Jimmy's eyes on their swing.

Texsport

Nice explanation!!

Ya saved me from going off on one of my discombobulated esoteric responses, lmao

http://vimeorpeat.co...pisode-267.html

RP

Yes "Forged4ever", the video of Elk and Jackie Burke is old-school brilliance. Leave it to Jackie Burke to simplify it. It'd be like swinging a shaft made of rebar...It's TOO stiff to spring. And the opposite would be swinging an alignment stick. It would be too whippy. You can't put any pressure on it. "Springing the shaft" is all about transferring your built up energy into the shaft. Do it correctly and the rest of the swing will feel effortless...

Ok all you Ballard students, I read his book when it first came out and bought his first video. His wife told me to hand on to the video because it is the first golf instruction video every made.

Jimmy Ballard's wife tried to explain it to me but she went over my head. Can someone else take a shot at explaining what "spinging the shaft means"?

If you have a copy of Jimmy Ballard's first instructional DVD watch it over and over. It might be some of the finest instruction available. I've never seen the swing and the proper movements explained better. It's actual shot in Pell City, AL and not Doral as the video suggests. It's brilliant. After watching you'll realize why every pro from all over the world wanted Jimmy's eyes on their swing.

Was that the video that came with his original V-Harness?

Have a great day :)

My Best,

RP

My Best,

RP

I know you're joking!

• Like 1

Texsport

It's not deceptive at all. "Springing the Shaft" is all about leverage. There's countless ways to describe it. "Texsport" did a fine job. It's similar to leveling or squaring up a baseball bat to impact. You don't pull the bat and hold your wrist c0ck to do it, you use your right side starting from the ground to square it up. Only way to hit with power. The sooner you begin to put leverage on the bat or the golf club in this case...the more power you'll store leading up to impact and shoot it through. Watch films of Jack Nicklaus and see how the shaft reacts. Nobody "sprung" it better than Jack in his prime.

You seem to be unaware that "loading the shaft" is a myth that has been disproved thanks to high speed cameras.

• Like 1

My Best,

RP

I know you're joking!

LMAO, now I feel like a real dick, lol.

I was serious, haha.

I won a V-Harness at an outing that Rocco had along with a swing video that was seperate from the V-Harness video(also a 30 minute phone "consultation" with Jimmy. It turned into a 75 minute bulls*** session, lmao. Nothing to do with his theory or the harness. He's a great Dude).

I've never watched it but still have it.

Maybe I should just STFU and say thst I was joking, LMAO

Stay well my Friend :)

My Best,

RP

Texsport

You seem to be unaware that "loading the shaft" is a myth that has been disproved thanks to high speed cameras.

"northgolf" you're so ignorant. Your comment alone proves just how ignorant you are. "Springing the shaft" has nothing to go with "loading the shaft". Watch the video posted by Forged4ever and see Jackie Burke explain it. A shaft doesn't bend on it's own. How do you think it bends??? It bends because of the tension applied during the change in direction of the swing. That's "springing the shaft"!

My Best,

RP

I know you're joking!

LMAO, now I feel like a real dick, lol.

I was serious, haha.

I won a V-Harness at an outing that Rocco had along with a swing video that was seperate from the V-Harness video(also a 30 minute phone "consultation" with Jimmy. It turned into a 75 minute bulls*** session, lmao. Nothing to do with his theory or the harness. He's a great Dude).

I've never watched it but still have it.

Maybe I should just STFU and say thst I was joking, LMAO

Stay well my Friend :)

My Best,

RP

That's hilarious. Yeah V-Harness had some merit but it was more of Rocco's thing.

Texsport

Nice explanation!!

http://vimeorpeat.co...pisode-267.html

RP

Yes "Forged4ever", the video of Elk and Jackie Burke is old-school brilliance. Leave it to Jackie Burke to simplify it. It'd be like swinging a shaft made of rebar...It's TOO stiff to spring. And the opposite would be swinging an alignment stick. It would be too whippy. You can't put any pressure on it. "Springing the shaft" is all about transferring your built up energy into the shaft. Do it correctly and the rest of the swing will feel effortless...

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant the video that I got with my V-Harness that was titled "A Lesson with Jimmy."

I just wanted to know if that was the video that you spoke of.

No, the Elk video is fantastic and in my saved library.

Sorry that I didn't make myself understood.

That's a common occurrence with me around here, LMAO

Take Care,

Richard

I think we ALL benefit from having somebody who knows what they are doing watch you and work with you; Ballard's stuff is no different in that regard.

That said, I also think the Ballard stuff is just a lot more natural and easier to repeat than most other golf instruction out there. If you have a lesson with somebody that has worked the Mr. Ballard, I think it is likely that you would play better immediately; no "one step back for two steps forward" stuff unless you have REALLY jumped the rails.

If you get into a good setup position the way Ballard describes it, and then initiate the swing from the left foot up into feeling coiled on the inside of the right hip, you can turn the club loose without too much worry about turning, positions during the swing, the swing plane, and so on; there just isn't much that can go wrong. I know that sounds too simple to believe, but it's true.

It is the best way to hit the ball solidly shot after shot after shot that I've ever found. Neutral grip, level shoulders, and a "from the ground up" swing with the legs doing the work. Seems almost too simple, doesn't it?

• Like 1

I think we ALL benefit from having somebody who knows what they are doing watch you and work with you; Ballard's stuff is no different in that regard.

That said, I also think the Ballard stuff is just a lot more natural and easier to repeat than most other golf instruction out there. If you have a lesson with somebody that has worked the Mr. Ballard, I think it is likely that you would play better immediately; no "one step back for two steps forward" stuff unless you have REALLY jumped the rails.

If you get into a good setup position the way Ballard describes it, and then initiate the swing from the left foot up into feeling coiled on the inside of the right hip, you can turn the club loose without too much worry about turning, positions during the swing, the swing plane, and so on; there just isn't much that can go wrong. I know that sounds too simple to believe, but it's true.

It is the best way to hit the ball solidly shot after shot after shot that I've ever found. Neutral grip, level shoulders, and a "from the ground up" swing with the legs doing the work. Seems almost too simple, doesn't it?

Slicefixer (Geoff Jones) said here in the 9-3 thread that he was once a Jimmy

Ballard instructor and vouches that Jimmy's methods work. He eventually parted

ways with Jimmy because of some disagreements; one of them being level shoulders.

But then again, secondary tilt is controversial. :)

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Hey "bluedot", try hitting balls with a split-grip. Right hand about two to three inches lower than left. This drill really keeps the club in front of you and puts the elbows in the correct position, especially the left elbow. Left arm should just fold naturally on follow through. Jimmy says you can't do this drill enough. Once you start hitting it straight (you'll probably begin by hooking or pulling the ball at first) then try hitting it with normal grip. It'll be a new sensation.

• Like 1

Texsport

"northgolf" you're so ignorant. Your comment alone proves just how ignorant you are. "Springing the shaft" has nothing to go with "loading the shaft". Watch the video posted by Forged4ever and see Jackie Burke explain it. A shaft doesn't bend on it's own. How do you think it bends??? It bends because of the tension applied during the change in direction of the swing. That's "springing the shaft"!

That is exactly the myth which I was addressing. High speed (phantom) cameras have shown that the shaft does not bend in the manner those that talk of "springing the shaft" think it does. You need the very high speed cameras to address shutter effect and motion blur. The causes and effects of shaft bending during the later parts of the downswing are also different from the ones you assume Jackie Burke is correct about. I suggest you read chapter 19 Behavior of Golf Club Shafts in the book "How Golf Clubs Really Work and How to Optimize their Designs" by Frank D. Werner and Richard C. Grieg. It has several references which are relevant scientific studies of shaft behavior.

"Deceptive Feels" is a Jimmy Ballard concept and I used it with respect to "springing the shaft" because scientific studies have shown that what we feel the shaft is doing during the swing is deceptive as it does not match the reality. Burke does get the effect of too soft a shaft correct, he is just incorrect in his reasoning as to why and how - this argument is similar to the ones over the ball flight laws.

Finally, an aside to you. I wanted to understand how golf clubs work because I found myself deeply disappointed by club fitters, so I read several books and many scientific publications on their behavior and design. My way of addressing ignorance is through research, study, the scientific method, and directly addressing it when I see it.

Hey "bluedot", try hitting balls with a split-grip. Right hand about two to three inches lower than left. This drill really keeps the club in front of you and puts the elbows in the correct position, especially the left elbow. Left arm should just fold naturally on follow through. Jimmy says you can't do this drill enough. Once you start hitting it straight (you'll probably begin by hooking or pulling the ball at first) then try hitting it with normal grip. It'll be a new sensation.

I like it! I'll give it a try; thanks!

Texsport

"northgolf", no disrespect man. You obviously know much more about the golf club and how it works than me. There's much I can learn from you. I'm all eyes and ears when it comes to learning from someone who knows more than me. Know that when Jimmy teaches "springing the shaft," he's more concerned with the student's proper change of direction and not so much with what actually physically happens with the golf shaft. He wants to see the student using the "inner and outer forces" of their golf swing in the correct manner. When done correctly, using Jimmy's instruction, the shaft will respond in a way that produces tremendous power through impact.

Texsport

"northgolf", no disrespect man. You obviously know much more about the golf club and how it works than me. There's much I can learn from you. I'm all eyes and ears when it comes to learning from someone who knows more than me. Know that when Jimmy teaches "springing the shaft," he's more concerned with the student's proper change of direction and not so much with what actually physically happens with the golf shaft. He wants to see the student using the "inner and outer forces" of their golf swing in the correct manner. When done correctly, using Jimmy's instruction, the shaft will respond in a way that produces tremendous power through impact.

Jimmy gets results and was definitely a leader in the 80's and 90's, we agree on that. Good in my book (if I ever write one).

I like it! I'll give it a try; thanks!

The split hand drill and the choked up practice swing with the butt of the club in the belly were favorite drills used by Curtis Strange when he worked with Ballard.

The Ballard Swing Shirt also does a good job of training the arms and swing sequencing.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Is this video basically Ballard lecturing to a class? If it is, I remember watching it and walking away saying "Wow". I think I learned more watching that video than I had in my entire golf life up to that point.

• Like 1

Is this video basically Ballard lecturing to a class? If it is, I remember watching it and walking away saying "Wow". I think I learned more watching that video than I had in my entire golf life up to that point.

Yes, that's the one. He's wearing a blue shirt in beginning and then a beige cashmere in the second part. His instruction and explanation have stood the test of time.

• Like 1

Jimmy's swing philosophy holds up - and I've never seen people hit the ball straighter. The possible downside: for the highest levels, I see a lack of traditional "coiling" that cold be argued to be THE KEY to big-time distance.

Does that matter for amateur golfers? Probably not. I'm 100% Ballard, and I certainly hit it by most people I play with.

So in my mind, it is THE way to learn how to swing the golf club. Get to your right side. Get to your left side. No flipping. No turning. Club face always square. Etc.

Easy stuff.

It IS easy stuff, certainly relative to "methods" that emphasize positions and big turns. I've been playing this way for 20+ years, and to me, it's a simple way to play good golf. Maybe the two biggest advantages are the simplicity and how easy it is on the body, especially the lower back.

As to the need for an instructor, I don't know that there is any difference in Ballard's stuff vs. anybody else in that regard; if anything, there is LESS need. Ballard's book, as books go, is pretty darn good as a way to learn what he teaches, and there are now a lot of videos on the web that are very good, too. But ANY golf swing, regardless of the theory behind what the player is trying to do, can and will go haywire at times, and will benefit from somebody looking at it who knows what they are doing. In that regard, there is no difference.

BTW, I moved from GA to NC last year, and no longer had access to the guy who had been looking at MY swing when it went haywire for the last 15 years or so. In July, I contacted the Ballard office, and asked for a referral to an instructor in NC. They steered me to a gentleman named Barry Walters at St. James Plantation in Southport, and I took a lesson with him just to get looked at. Great experience; I'd highly recommend him to anybody who's in the area and is looking for a top-notch Ballard instructor.

Hi may I ask - who did you work with in Georgia?

Slicefixer (Geoff Jones) said here in the 9-3 thread that he was once a Jimmy

Ballard instructor and vouches that Jimmy's methods work. He eventually parted

ways with Jimmy because of some disagreements; one of them being level shoulders.

But then again, secondary tilt is controversial. :)

Geoff would readily acknowledge that Jimmy Ballard's ideas/concepts have contributed significantly to Geoff's current beliefs about the swing, even though they are not 100% in alignment on all aspects.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball