What bag do you carry with your vintage/classic clubs?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My go to carry bag is my Mizuno Scratch Sac. It's light, balanced on the shoulder, and water proof. When the weather is dry I play a beautiful MacKenzie Walker, which I wouldn't dump large cash for but happened into a low auction on eBay and got lucky. If you have the opportunity to get lucky I highly recommend the MacKenzie.

For hickory play I use a Steurer Jacoby.... hand crafted, period correct, and a work of art.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

I have one small black bag that I bought new at a Roger Dunn 3 or 4 years ago for 19.99. It weighs next to nothing, is slightly bigger than an old school Sunday bag, and most importantly, has no logo. It has my hickories in it. I have another bag, a PING moon lite knock off for my modern gear. It helps that with hickory I carry nine and modern twelve.. This is as light as I can go since I like to walk, weight is key. Playing hickory with that little black bag and walking is so liberating. No big honkin' bag, no glove, not even tees, as you can use broken ones you find laying around. As simple as the game gets.

Of course it took almost 6 years to find the clubs in the bag...but that's another story.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

I've used Sunday type bags for over 15 years, since going minimalist. Currently in the stable, a Jones bag, a Sun Mountain Sunday X-strap, and a very little no name black Sunday bag I got years ago for $12.

I've used the Jones most of the year in 2015. I find it a really nice, period bag. However, with only carrying 5-6 clubs, it sometimes seem cumbersome. The X-strap (used as a single strap) also seems too big for 5 clubs. Like it gets out of balance. I really do like the bags, though.

Still in excellent condition, (a little fading) I was going to give the old no name bag away last year. I used it, though, and find it is perfect for 5-6 club play. It's probably the same bag as Kirasdad describes. Every golf store used to carry them, until all the expensive high tech stuff became mandatory.

Another good bag, if it can be found. Around 10 years ago, Dick's carried a Walter Hagen Sunday bag for around $30. It looked like a "modern" bag, two tone black and gray, no structure. The top and bottom were made of a pliable rubber or plastic. The top had molded clips, which I guess were for clipping the shafts in, but I used them to clip a lit smoking pipe, while laying it down, to eliminate bending to pick up the pipe. (The Sun Mountain top valuables pocket works as a pipe carrier also. The Jones bag is just too nice to risk burning a hole in.) I'd call the WH a perfect bag. I used it for 6-7 years exclusively until it just disintegrated. Of course, Dick's didn't carry it very long.

Play well!

I bought a Callaway Hyper-Lite 3.5 stand bag last year. It is a single strap 4 way top stand bag with discrete graphics and came in either hunter green or navy blue. Even though new, it looks the part with vintage kit (and appropriate headcovers of course) on board. It has structure so you can walk, ride or push with it. From a functionality point-of-view it is my favourite bag. You can see it in my linked WITB in my signature.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Being that you brought it up BK. Bought a Daiwa Coach bag for the Mrs. off eBay (really). When in hand, realized the opening was to small for effectively handling her clubs. Now repurposed as a ideal carry bag for the developing hickory play set. Even has this really neat little Coach pouch to carry stuff in. No wisecracks!

Stupid picture orientation problem.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Which S&J have you got Erik ?

I've got the 100 model. It's very well made, and since I purchased mine a few years ago they've made some nice improvements. Namely a wider shoulder strap with more wool and a club divider. I modified my original version to include both of those improvements myself. it carries well but looks even better, very period accurate for hickory. An advantage with the 100 model is that it has a thin rod for vertical support. It won't stand on its own due to soft bottom, but it doesn't collapse when leaning or in the hickory stick stand. Also if you ever ride (I rarely do) it works well in a cart. It's slightly wider than the 50 model. If you carry more than 8 clubs I'd recommend the 100. However if you carry 8 or less I'd probably go with the 50, it's cheaper, lighter, and self standing isn't all that necessary for me.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

Which S&J have you got Erik ?

I've got the 100 model. It's very well made, and since I purchased mine a few years ago they've made some nice improvements. Namely a wider shoulder strap with more wool and a club divider. I modified my original version to include both of those improvements myself. it carries well but looks even better, very period accurate for hickory. An advantage with the 100 model is that it has a thin rod for vertical support. It won't stand on its own due to soft bottom, but it doesn't collapse when leaning or in the hickory stick stand. Also if you ever ride (I rarely do) it works well in a cart. It's slightly wider than the 50 model. If you carry more than 8 clubs I'd recommend the 100. However if you carry 8 or less I'd probably go with the 50, it's cheaper, lighter, and self standing isn't all that necessary for me.

Cheers for the feedback Erik. I do like them ... and they are also very popular with the Swiss hickory players, who all seem to have these ...

One day I will treat myself to the Model 100 ... or possibly the 200 ... but British Tan and Chestnut leather combo for sure :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Wriggles, anther pipe smoker in the midst? Original Capt. Black is my go to blend. Not too mild, not too strong, not offensive, but with a good consistent flavor. Besides, it's harder and harder to find a tobacco shop that mixes their own blends these days.o

As for the bag, a sturdy little black Sunday bag that works well for up to about 8 clubs. Picked it up for a dollar at a local Goodwill a few years ago. Also a nice lightweight Ping with stands that I must say I am really pleased with. Have the same model Diawa-Coach in the pics above, Didnt know it was a Ladies. Don't care, it's a solid bag as well.

Those are the ones I walk with.

I always walk and I like light weight bags. These are all comfortable walkers. First I cant say anything about the Jones that you probably dont know already. Second is a Cobra / Greg Norman stand bag not sure of the vintage on this one, guessing late 90's? Last but not least is finally a bag worthy of carrying my Hogan's in style..

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

I always walk and I like light weight bags. These are all comfortable walkers. First I cant say anything about the Jones that you probably dont know already. Second is a Cobra / Greg Norman stand bag not sure of the vintage on this one, guessing late 90's? Last but not least is finally a bag worthy of carrying my Hogan's in style..

J

Always loved those Hogan red/white/blue bags. Total class

Wilson Spartan Backs, 3-SW, Peerless Pete driver, X31 3 wood, Wilson blade putter. For anyone wanting a great feeling forged blade/muscle back, for around 50 bucks they are available. I have 15 or more sets. They can still be found on eBay sometimes. Most under rated iron or all time.

Deet-

What year are your "Spartanback" irons?

Do they look like Old School rockers avatar- which would make them 1971.....and it is a clear "W/S" button crest.

A photo would help.

Wriggles, anther pipe smoker in the midst? Original Capt. Black is my go to blend. Not too mild, not too strong, not offensive, but with a good consistent flavor. Besides, it's harder and harder to find a tobacco shop that mixes their own blends these days.o

As for the bag, a sturdy little black Sunday bag that works well for up to about 8 clubs. Picked it up for a dollar at a local Goodwill a few years ago. Also a nice lightweight Ping with stands that I must say I am really pleased with. Have the same model Diawa-Coach in the pics above, Didnt know it was a Ladies. Don't care, it's a solid bag as well.

Those are the ones I walk with.

My last pouch has been Captain Black Royal. Pretty good, but my usual go to is Half and Half. Today's version is just not as good as the American Tobacco version in the 1970's, though. Sign up on the Scandinavian Tobacco Group website, and they'll send coupons for cash off. I don't smoke much, though, only a pipe full when golfing.

I had a plaid Gregory Paul bag just like the one pictured. It was in perfect condition, gotten from the Goodwill for $6. Just gorgeous, I gave it to my niece, for it was a couple pounds heavier than my Jones. She loves it. I, too, didn't know it was a ladies' bag.

Play well!

PS: I got a ladies' HotZ baby blue bag, that's a dead ringer for a Jones bag. It had been in the club's furnace room for the last ten or so years after a rummage sale. Beautiful, almost new condition. Light as a feather, I'll use it at some point, ladies' bag or not.

Now there's a dying pastime. I tried it myself for a while perhaps 20 years ago or so. Even then I recall it being tough to find a retailer that would carry a decent selection. As I recall, Erinmore was my brand of choice. It's a rare sight to see a pipe smoker these days.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yes it is a rare sight indeed these days. Started as a lark when a group of us on a submarine decided to take it up on a 3 month patrol. Since we worked in a cypher locked room with a iltered ventilation system that rarely required us to allow anyone in, we thought it would be an interesting thing to do.

That was 40 years ago, and I still enjoy a bowl every now and then.

Back in the day the old pipe was quite a wingman when on independent ops making runs on the opposite sex.

I use a srixon pencil bag. I was on vacation a few years back and while playing the local course saw it hanging in the pro shop. I asked if it was for sale and the guy said he was wondering if it would ever sell. I got it because it was perfect for 5 to 7 clubs and the balance is phenomenal. I sold my ogio stand bag that same day as it was overkill for the amount of clubs I carry. It cost me like 60 bucks.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I searched carefully online for a carry bag and decided to go with the Jones Player's bag. It's not vinyl, but ballistic nylon. Pocket set up is more like a MacKenzie, except it has the double-zipper smaller pocket.

GREAT shoulder strap. Light and balances well.

Complaints:

• New anti-slip material on the shoulder strap caused a seam failure. Also, it grips too well. It was better without it.
  • Ballistic nylon is too coarse if you don't tape the seams. My bag failed at two seams within a year, so I bought a new one.
  • Smallest of the double-pockets needs a liner. Putting tees and ball - markers (old-style plastic, smaller types) and spare spikes in it is ideal but they slip into the corners and it's sometimes hard to fish them out.
  • Velvet cover on the divider wears away pretty fast
  • Water goes right through it and stuff in the big pocket gets soaked. Ballistics nylon is some of the least waterproof out there.

I think some design improvements would make this the best bag out there and worth $250.

I'm probably going to buy an old wilson vinyl bag for winter. Want to keep my cardigan dry.

By the way, just because Coach is a popular purse brand these days doesn't mean those are ladies bags. None of them are, actually.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Oak-Hill-Country-Club-Rochester-NY-golf-bag-89th-US-Open-tag-collectible/351628657675?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33876%26meid%3D6b7b592b28624192bf3c1f24bb80dfd8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D141881433936

Coach makes saddles, and briefcases for lawyers. Breast-pocket wallets. All men's stuff.

A ladies bag would be shorter, and I've seen them with a floral embroidery fabric.

Thanks also Steve. I have been eyeing a Players' series-they look cool and seem to be as they say everything you need and nothing your don't- but can't bite the bullet on $159--yet.

The clubs in my sig are in a fairly new PING carry stand bag--that I bought at a thrift for $10!

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

I got mine for $130 from Amazon.

Also, I just ordered an old Wilson Staff vinyl bag - tired of soaking wet sweater after a game. Ballistic is not waterproof at all. Even when it has a heavy PVC coating that flakes off or abrades very quickly unless there is a full liner.

Old pack cloth was much more waterproof.