2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

How do you combat slow rounds?

When the round is slow and there is no chance of the pace picking up I do a couple things. Instead of drastically changing my pre shot routine I walk slower, and just overall move slower to take more time. Over shots and once I'm over the ball my pre shot time is the same. I also make sure to sit down on tee boxes and just rest. Being on my feet all the time is tiring especially if there are many minute waits on each tee box. Basically slow rounds are a pain but they occur often in pro golf.

Headed to Houston Friday for the Shell Houston Open Monday Qualifier. Feel free to post any questions about the travel/tour you may have or are interested in knowing!

Good luck Matt! I hope you can get in there and get a start at the SH

Open.

You may have covered this before but on your conditional Web,Com

status do you get any guaranteed starts or are on an alternate list

for each tournament? I'm curious how that works.

Seems like it would tough to be on call for a last minute start though

I realize you would take any start you can get if you can get there

reasonably.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Headed to Houston Friday for the Shell Houston Open Monday Qualifier. Feel free to post any questions about the travel/tour you may have or are interested in knowing!

Open.

reasonably.

I am on the alternate for every tournament however my number is so bad I won't be getting into any events. If I happen to get into any event last minute I would be going for sure. Conditional status means no guaranteed starts.

Open.

reasonably.

I am on the alternate for every tournament however my number is so bad I won't be getting into any events. If I happen to get into any event last minute I would be going for sure. Conditional status means no guaranteed starts.

Thanks for the response. I hope you can catch some lightning in

bottle and get a start!

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Hi Matt, I wondered if you could give some insight into what you are feeling at impact in a full shot (woods and/or irons). More specifically the feeling in the hands. I read about pros almost letting go of the club at impact. Is that the feeling you have? Feeling tight and tense at impact I know is wrong but actually feeling the right motion and sensation is not often taught.

Whilst it has been said by others, getting some insight into pro golf the way that you and a couple of posters in this thread now provide is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time.

Hi Matt, I wondered if you could give some insight into what you are feeling at impact in a full shot (woods and/or irons). More specifically the feeling in the hands. I read about pros almost letting go of the club at impact. Is that the feeling you have? Feeling tight and tense at impact I know is wrong but actually feeling the right motion and sensation is not often taught.

Whilst it has been said by others, getting some insight into pro golf the way that you and a couple of posters in this thread now provide is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time.

I don't have the feeling of letting go. I try to keep the same pressure throughout the swing. Hands are something you shouldn't think about too much in the swing since the big muscles control the golf club. I believe the hands are just there to stabilize the club face and obviously can be used to hit slices or hooks if needed.

At impact I make sure to get my upper body through the ball and make sure I post up on my left side...and not too much thoughts about my hands.

Mattt, just curious about how you handle short pitches and chips etc. Do you find yourself using the same wedge all of the time, or do you like to switch clubs and if so how many clubs do you use around the greens?

Thanks

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Mattt, just curious about how you handle short pitches and chips etc. Do you find yourself using the same wedge all of the time, or do you like to switch clubs and if so how many clubs do you use around the greens?

Thanks

I usually switch clubs. I switch between my 60, 56, and 52 degree for the most part depending how much green I have to work with. I use the idea that a 60 degree normally flies the same distance it rolls out a 1:1 ratio (hit a 60 4 yards it will roll out 4 yards, on firm greens), a 56 is a 1:2 (hit a 56 4 yards it will roll out 6-8 yards), a 52 is a 1:3 (hit a 52 4 yards it will roll out 9-12 yards)

Thanks

I usually switch clubs. I switch between my 60, 56, and 52 degree for the most part depending how much green I have to work with. I use the idea that a 60 degree normally flies the same distance it rolls out a 1:1 ratio (hit a 60 4 yards it will roll out 4 yards, on firm greens), a 56 is a 1:2 (hit a 56 4 yards it will roll out 6-8 yards), a 52 is a 1:3 (hit a 52 4 yards it will roll out 9-12 yards)

Thanks for the info!

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Thanks

Pure gold right there. Stuff even the above average am rarely thinks about.

Hey man, ive combed through and didn't see this question asked, but how much easier would life be (while keeping the game fair) would rangefinders be? No slope of course, but wouldn't they have to speed up play? Since the slow play question is up on topic

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Hey man, ive combed through and didn't see this question asked, but how much easier would life be (while keeping the game fair) would rangefinders be? No slope of course, but wouldn't they have to speed up play? Since the slow play question is up on topic

Range finders in my opinion should be used. On the PGA tour when in the fairway or close to it the course is very well marked and yardage books are fantastic and have everything you can imagine marked. The time it would save would only be a couple seconds each shot (but that does help over time). Where I see rangefinders being a huge help for pros is when we are way off the fairway or in another fairway. I have seen tournaments where caddies are running 100+ yards to try to figure out a yardage to the hole. Maybe one day they will be allowed...

Range finders in my opinion should be used. On the PGA tour when in the fairway or close to it the course is very well marked and yardage books are fantastic and have everything you can imagine marked. The time it would save would only be a couple seconds each shot (but that does help over time). Where I see rangefinders being a huge help for pros is when we are way off the fairway or in another fairway. I have seen tournaments where caddies are running 100+ yards to try to figure out a yardage to the hole. Maybe one day they will be allowed...

Tens of millions of TV revenue could be lost due to quicker rounds

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

i can see that, ten-twenty seconds off every Kevin na shot would be amazing, though I do like the guy.

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour

Easily fixed by starting a bit later or increasing the intervals between groups. Plus only the afternoon rounds are televised anyway.

The bigger question is would it actually help or hurt pace as how many pros would switch to the rangefinder versus sticking with the yardage book or worse, combining both?!

Good luck in the qualifier. Cypresswood tradition is a good layout.

With Monday qualifiers what is the mindset going into the round? Is the plan to fire at every pin knowing you need birdies to post a good number? What's the prep work like, will you get a practice round in before?

Cypresswood is a fantastic course. I especially like how many cut holes (left to right) there are. It fits my eye.

Going into Monday qualifiers I know I must shoot between 5-8 under to have a chance, given no weird weather conditions. This means a lot of birdies are needed. I attack every pin location thats a 6 iron or less. Early in the round, tucked pins or longer irons mean a little safer play. Towards the end of the round if I'm not way under par then those same tucked pins and longer irons would be going right at the pin.

My prep work for this Monday went like this. Fly in and arrive in Houston at 11pm. Go to the course Saturday and practice for a bit, next I go out and walk the golf course, then I practice again after. Sunday is the practice round day followed by putting or range practice. Tomorrow I tee off at 110 pm.

Mattt, just curious about how you handle short pitches and chips etc. Do you find yourself using the same wedge all of the time, or do you like to switch clubs and if so how many clubs do you use around the greens? Thanks
Pure gold right there. Stuff even the above average am rarely thinks about.

I can say from the people I know who are above average ams they don't take the time to actually practice the shots with different wedges and get comfortable with a single club more than anything. The short game is and probably always will be a very individual approach as to how things are done and will also depend on what kind of course conditions you are typically going to play.

That all said, this is fantastic info to have assuming that you have the time to feel comfortable with each of those clubs as the every day player.

Solid golf will not get it done in any Monday qualifier. Great golf is needed to qualify.

Matthew,

Definitely agree with that statement and may take a bit to continue knocking on that door, once see a bit of an opening, you are going to kick that thing in! Just a positive reinforcement type of thought- place yourself in positions to more frequently hit shots you KNOW going to comfortably hit well even if not necessarily flag hunting, on days when your speed is great on greens, the slightly longer putts WILL start dropping! As you know, those are the days when go super low. Keep putting in the work and best of luck! Appreciate you sharing the journey.

Mitch

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu