2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

Best of luck today!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I love it when the live scoring person gives him a triple when he actually made a par.. It's stressful enough watching live scoring but to have a big error like that.. Sheeesh

Wow. I was watching the scoring and thought those par 3's were really eating him alive.... a triple?!?! :) glad to see it was a mistake.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I love it when the live scoring person gives him a triple when he actually made a par.. It's stressful enough watching live scoring but to have a big error like that.. Sheeesh

Wow. I was watching the scoring and thought those par 3's were really eating him alive.... a triple?!?! :) glad to see it was a mistake.

Thankfully his gf is there as is my husband and some of his cousins so I got the scoop.

Glad to know it was an error on their part. Hopefully the second round goes better.. I bet thats hard for you to be watching live scoring rather then being there especially with the scoring errors.

Glad to know it was an error on their part. Hopefully the second round goes better.. I bet thats hard for you to be watching live scoring rather then being there especially with the scoring errors.

Its awful,l but having such a rough first round makes it (dare I say impossible) to make it, I won't be nervous anymore. Just hope he can play a good solid round before heading to Canada tomorrow. He is not a fan of either of those courses which is why he initially wanted to go to Ohio but so be it. Golf is hard.

Its awful,l but having such a rough first round makes it (dare I say impossible) to make it, I won't be nervous anymore. Just hope he can play a good solid round before heading to Canada tomorrow. He is not a fan of either of those courses which is why he initially wanted to go to Ohio but so be it. Golf is hard.

yes, it is a hard game. Gets quite annoying. I was making great progress then I fell in a HUGE slump. Trying to dig my way out of it now. lol

Nothing impossible :) He just made it a little tougher on himself to qualify. Hopefully he has a good round which sets him on the right path for the trip to Canada.

yes, it is a hard game. Gets quite annoying. I was making great progress then I fell in a HUGE slump. Trying to dig my way out of it now. lol

Nothing impossible :) He just made it a little tougher on himself to qualify. Hopefully he has a good round which sets him on the right path for the trip to Canada.

May your "slump" (I hate that word) be short lived... Golf is full of ups and downs which as a parent I have still not quite adjusted too..

But props to my kid for not being a quitter.. It would be so easy to just WD and use some excuse that he wants to rest for Canada or he is tired or whatever.. He has never been a quitter and I am very proud of that!!!! Go Matthew.. :)

May your "slump" (I hate that word) be short lived... Golf is full of ups and downs which as a parent I have still not quite adjusted too..

But props to my kid for not being a quitter.. It would be so easy to just WD and use some excuse that he wants to rest for Canada or he is tired or whatever.. He has never been a quitter and I am very proud of that!!!! Go Matthew.. :)

Looks like he is grinding away. Hopefully he can keep it going.

Well here is some info for the next event:

Here is the page to the course

http://www.golfbc.com/courses/gallaghers_canyon

And here is the score card:

http://www.golfbc.com/resources/webcontent/gallaghers_canyon/gc_scorecard.pdf

Not a long course by pro standards

Top 20 and in the following week! Go Matthew!

Is there a lot of conversation with your playing partners during the rounds on Thursday and Friday? What about the weekends?

Being that you don't have a regular caddy I would think that you would want someone to talk to.

Thanks for starting this thread. It is really eye opening.

Good luck with qualifying tomorrow.

If I know the guys I'm playing I usually talk with them. I'm not a big talker to my caddy since I just try to keep things simple. But there is always friendly chit chat even with the new guys I have on the bag week in and week out.

Ideally my full time caddy would be a quiet person who doesn't mind listening to my rambling sometimes and that has a calming and relaxed demeanor about them.

It sounds like there was some excitement (as in silly errors) during my rounds at US Open Sectionals Yesterday. For some reason, even though I know both courses well, I don't seem to play that particularly well on them. And usually it all comes down to putting. Through the first 7 holes I was 2 over par when in reality (if I didn't three putt from 18 feet, and if I made one of the three 9 footers) should've been one under par...and that feeling is deflating especially when I was playing the "easier" course and I had to shoot 6 under of less total. I missed 9 of 36 greens that day and had lots and lots of putts. Lake Merced went better.

Before I left for San Fran I had to be packed to go to Canada in case I got the call that I was in the event. The life of a conditional member is not the easiest. Sure enough, I got the call Sunday as I was driving. My mom helped with flights and other arrangements and this morning at 5 am, right after "the longest day in golf", I woke up and got on a plane and arrived in Kelowna BC.

Showed up, headed straight from the airport to the course, registered, went to the range and putting green to practice for an hour and then walked the back nine to scout before my practice round tomorrow.

Thursday my tee time is 8:15 am and then Friday its at 1 something.

It sounds like there was some excitement (as in silly errors) during my rounds at US Open Sectionals Yesterday. For some reason, even though I know both courses well, I don't seem to play that particularly well on them. And usually it all comes down to putting. Through the first 7 holes I was 2 over par when in reality (if I didn't three putt from 18 feet, and if I made one of the three 9 footers) should've been one under par...and that feeling is deflating especially when I was playing the "easier" course and I had to shoot 6 under of less total. I missed 9 of 36 greens that day and had lots and lots of putts. Lake Merced went better.

Before I left for San Fran I had to be packed to go to Canada in case I got the call that I was in the event. The life of a conditional member is not the easiest. Sure enough, I got the call Sunday as I was driving. My mom helped with flights and other arrangements and this morning at 5 am, right after "the longest day in golf", I woke up and got on a plane and arrived in Kelowna BC.

Showed up, headed straight from the airport to the course, registered, went to the range and putting green to practice for an hour and then walked the back nine to scout before my practice round tomorrow.

Good luck at Gallagher's Canyon this week. It's a nice course and a good time of the year to be in Kelowna. Will be following online.

Matthew, any analysis of what went wrong the greens? At your ability level a 3-putt from that distance is pretty rare, yes?

Curious if you'll change what your practice regiment in regards to putting or if you identified anything particular that was troublesome?

Seems with putting some days we have it and some we don't. Funny, how having a few roll a little differently can make or break a round.

I know you have touched on the financial aspects some but how do most guys play the smaller/mini tours? Do they have backers that expect some sort of future return? Just come from a wealthy family? Work seasonal jobs for part of the year and then play golf the other part of the year? I just don't understand how someone can invest like $1900 into a mini-tour event with a <$150,000 purse.

I know you have touched on the financial aspects some but how do most guys play the smaller/mini tours? Do they have backers that expect some sort of future return? Just come from a wealthy family? Work seasonal jobs for part of the year and then play golf the other part of the year? I just don't understand how someone can invest like $1900 into a mini-tour event with a <$150,000 purse.

Friend of mine backs a fully exempt web.com tour player, has been for 3-4 years now. He pays for transportation, lodging, entry fees...maybe some spending $ too. He has it set up where he gets a certain percentage of his winnings up to a certain point, then that percentage changes. It is also in perpetuity. In simple terms, he gets 20-25% of all checks cashed forever (not sure if the exact percentage). If the kid makes it to the big show, it'll be a nice investment. If not...lots of money thrown away.

Matthew, any analysis of what went wrong the greens? At your ability level a 3-putt from that distance is pretty rare, yes?

Curious if you'll change what your practice regiment in regards to putting or if you identified anything particular that was troublesome?

Seems with putting some days we have it and some we don't. Funny, how having a few roll a little differently can make or break a round.

Speed was poor on all putts inside 30 feet. Funny enough my long range putts from 60 feet were very good. Slight change to practice to see what gets me putting well and then I stick with that until I need to change it up again.

Off the wall question but how many guys out there are dealing with any number of types of back pain?

Wouldn't know that exact number, but back trouble is common and it can lead to other injuries.

Family money, borrowing from friends or second family. Work and save and play each event one at a time. Get local companies to give some money in exchange for a logo spot. The successful golfers (more successful quicker) are ones who have financial backers. My setup is very good with my supporters because even though I am getting low on money my contract reads that all winnings go back into golfing account. Everybody's situation is different.

how closely do you follow stats to help determine strengths and weaknesses. some pga guys have stats guys that help review each year to get an idea on what to work on. do you use stats, are detailed stats at this level kept, or do you focus on weaknesses simply based on previous few rounds.

on same idea, i think you mentioned strengths, but what do you think needs to be improved on to get to next level, and what is the next level. obviously pga tour is end goal, but do you have short term goal to reach full status on web.com, or just play it by week and see where it takes you. if you had to pick one weakness, what would it be. distance, short game, putting, long irons, etc.. .just curious how you view your own game, not trying to put you on the spot. i find it insightful how guys at your level view their games when you are still trying to 'make it' yet you play at such a high level compared to most already.

last, do you see anyone you consistently play with who you look at to be a future pga winner. anyone out there who really stands out and is hitting it better than others and you think its just a matter of time, or do you think most guys on even playing field and its just going to be the guy who plays consistent good golf over multiple rounds. seems most guys can go low, its just the guys who can consistently stay under par without the bad round or two that end up moving on to larger tours. almost as if the bad rounds are the measuring stick between players. the best players have fewer and better bad rounds. would you agree?

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

how closely do you follow stats to help determine strengths and weaknesses. some pga guys have stats guys that help review each year to get an idea on what to work on. do you use stats, are detailed stats at this level kept, or do you focus on weaknesses simply based on previous few rounds.

on same idea, i think you mentioned strengths, but what do you think needs to be improved on to get to next level, and what is the next level. obviously pga tour is end goal, but do you have short term goal to reach full status on web.com, or just play it by week and see where it takes you. if you had to pick one weakness, what would it be. distance, short game, putting, long irons, etc.. .just curious how you view your own game, not trying to put you on the spot. i find it insightful how guys at your level view their games when you are still trying to 'make it' yet you play at such a high level compared to most already.

last, do you see anyone you consistently play with who you look at to be a future pga winner. anyone out there who really stands out and is hitting it better than others and you think its just a matter of time, or do you think most guys on even playing field and its just going to be the guy who plays consistent good golf over multiple rounds. seems most guys can go low, its just the guys who can consistently stay under par without the bad round or two that end up moving on to larger tours. almost as if the bad rounds are the measuring stick between players. the best players have fewer and better bad rounds. would you agree?

My coach and I pay attention to certain stats. Fairways for me is not as an important since I hit a decent amount and if I miss its only a yard or two off the fairway. Missing fairways matter when the ball is going in the trees or out of play. Driving accuracy is not a stat I pay attention to. Greens in regulation is high but I pay close attention to proximity to the hole. Chances of making birdie go up dramatically from 20 ft to inside 10 ft. I don't keep detailed stats but I can remember all my shots and analyze what went wrong or went right in a round.

My stats I pay attention to are proximity to the hole and putts from certain feet made. For example my poor first round yesterday in Canada, I hit enough greens but I averaged around 40 feet when I hit one. One top of having 30-45 footers all day my speed was horrendous and that led to three putts and not many easy chances at birdie. Even though I had three putts it wasn't all my putting that was bad, it was my ball striking and proximity to the hole. So after the round I focused on ball striking and speed putting in my practice. My goal at the end of two years was to have Web.com status and I only have conditional Web.com status, so I half reached my goal. I do set yearly goals of where I try to be, a goal this year is to win a PGA sanctioned tour event (Canada or Latin America or Web) and to do so I have to improve a few things.

A thing I need to improve to get to where I want is my confidence and ability to go really low. My struggle now is getting past the 6 under barrier consistently. Tour players shoot super low rounds to make up for an even par or 1 over round and thats what it takes to win. My putting is the biggest weakness I have...I have tournaments where I putt fantastic but then some tournaments where I lose confidence in myself and the hole looks tiny. Green reading has a part in this and thats why I use aimpoint express. To make it further and not just make cuts (which I can already do and I'm sure I can do at the PGA and Web.com level as well), I need to have no fear and turn off my brain to allow low rounds more often.

Some guys its surprising who make it based on there game but it shows with the right work ethic and head on their shoulders, anyone can make it. It's not about a good putting stroke or good ball striking. The confidence and slight cockiness of a player is important too. What separates guys from making it to the big tour is the abilities to make birdies. I can make birdies I just need to start making more of them and just trying to make birdies. I have a problem of just trying to make cuts sometimes and then go low on weekends, when I should be attacking out of the gate. Its always better to miss 8 cuts and win one event then make 7 cuts and finish 30th.

great response. your last sentence answered another question. on your tour, is a 1st place and bunch of missed cuts better than a bunch of top 20s. i assume it is on pga, but didn't know about other levels.

your opinion on ability to make birdies does reaffirm my initial thought of what separtes those who climb the ladder. seems that so many guys can go out and have a good round of -2, but if that round consists of 2 birdies and no bogies compared to another guy who had 6 birdies and couple doubles, the guy who can make birdies is the guy who can go low on those certain days when everything clicks while canceling out bogies on off days. guys who are consistent but can't rack up the birdies are in trouble if they have a bad stretch of holes.

i'd have to think maintaining confidence is really tough. you see ton of guys who can all play really good golf and think they all have the same dreams. maintaining confidence when things don't go as planned would have to one of the hardest aspects of life on tours.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Matt, I recently learned Aimpoint Express and I love it so far (was previously using Vector Putting). How do you practice discerning the various degrees of slope? Also, do you use the calibration strip? I was considering purchasing one but wasn't really sure if it was worth the cost (or rather really needed).

My coach and I pay attention to certain stats. Fairways for me is not as an important since I hit a decent amount and if I miss its only a yard or two off the fairway. Missing fairways matter when the ball is going in the trees or out of play. Driving accuracy is not a stat I pay attention to. Greens in regulation is high but I pay close attention to proximity to the hole. Chances of making birdie go up dramatically from 20 ft to inside 10 ft. I don't keep detailed stats but I can remember all my shots and analyze what went wrong or went right in a round.

My stats I pay attention to are proximity to the hole and putts from certain feet made. For example my poor first round yesterday in Canada, I hit enough greens but I averaged around 40 feet when I hit one. One top of having 30-45 footers all day my speed was horrendous and that led to three putts and not many easy chances at birdie. Even though I had three putts it wasn't all my putting that was bad, it was my ball striking and proximity to the hole. So after the round I focused on ball striking and speed putting in my practice. My goal at the end of two years was to have Web.com status and I only have conditional Web.com status, so I half reached my goal. I do set yearly goals of where I try to be, a goal this year is to win a PGA sanctioned tour event (Canada or Latin America or Web) and to do so I have to improve a few things.

A thing I need to improve to get to where I want is my confidence and ability to go really low. My struggle now is getting past the 6 under barrier consistently. Tour players shoot super low rounds to make up for an even par or 1 over round and thats what it takes to win. My putting is the biggest weakness I have...I have tournaments where I putt fantastic but then some tournaments where I lose confidence in myself and the hole looks tiny. Green reading has a part in this and thats why I use aimpoint express. To make it further and not just make cuts (which I can already do and I'm sure I can do at the PGA and Web.com level as well), I need to have no fear and turn off my brain to allow low rounds more often.

Some guys its surprising who make it based on there game but it shows with the right work ethic and head on their shoulders, anyone can make it. It's not about a good putting stroke or good ball striking. The confidence and slight cockiness of a player is important too. What separates guys from making it to the big tour is the abilities to make birdies. I can make birdies I just need to start making more of them and just trying to make birdies. I have a problem of just trying to make cuts sometimes and then go low on weekends, when I should be attacking out of the gate. Its always better to miss 8 cuts and win one event then make 7 cuts and finish 30th.

Matt, I recently learned Aimpoint Express and I love it so far (was previously using Vector Putting). How do you practice discerning the various degrees of slope? Also, do you use the calibration strip? I was considering purchasing one but wasn't really sure if it was worth the cost (or rather really needed).

Buy a Husky 9in Digital Level at Home Depot for about 20 bucks. Only thing you need. To practice, go out on a green and guess what you think the slope is and then check it with the level. It takes time to be able to feel and see the correct slope. Utilize the level in practice rounds to chart greens as well.

Buy a Husky 9in Digital Level at Home Depot for about 20 bucks. Only thing you need. To practice, go out on a green and guess what you think the slope is and then check it with the level. It takes time to be able to feel and see the correct slope. Utilize the level in practice rounds to chart greens as well.

Hi Matt,

I have been thinking about doing the aimpoint for quite some time now. Do you feel that it really did improve your putting? That is where my game is lacking the most. I had 9 birdie putts this weekend ranging from 6-10ft and missed them all (doesn't help that the greens sucked and were bumpy). Almost everytime I didn't read enough break.

Very interested to hear your view on how much it has helped you out. Seems like you can't go wrong with 50 bucks on the dvd. I don't have an instructor anywhere near my area so I would do the DVD for now and then later on find someone.

p.s. How did canada go?

Hi Matt,

I have been thinking about doing the aimpoint for quite some time now. Do you feel that it really did improve your putting? That is where my game is lacking the most. I had 9 birdie putts this weekend ranging from 6-10ft and missed them all (doesn't help that the greens sucked and were bumpy). Almost everytime I didn't read enough break.

Very interested to hear your view on how much it has helped you out. Seems like you can't go wrong with 50 bucks on the dvd. I don't have an instructor anywhere near my area so I would do the DVD for now and then later on find someone.

p.s. How did canada go?

It really helped my game. It gave me more confidence that the read was correct but it did take some time getting used to using it. When I had the correct percentage slope read and my calibration correct, the read was perfect every time. It also helped since I like to putt the ball a foot past the hole anyway and that's what the calibration is.

For inside 6-10 feet make sure that you are starting the ball on your intended line...but putt on non bumpy greens. DVD is a good idea, I just had a quick how to and then it was all up to me to practice and implement it.

Canada first round went terrible and I fought hard the second day to make the cut but my 3 over first round and 3 under second round was not good enough to make the cut.