Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

I know you have touched on the financial aspects some but how do most guys play the smaller/mini tours? Do they have backers that expect some sort of future return? Just come from a wealthy family? Work seasonal jobs for part of the year and then play golf the other part of the year? I just don't understand how someone can invest like $1900 into a mini-tour event with a <$150,000 purse.

Friend of mine backs a fully exempt web.com tour player, has been for 3-4 years now. He pays for transportation, lodging, entry fees...maybe some spending $ too. He has it set up where he gets a certain percentage of his winnings up to a certain point, then that percentage changes. It is also in perpetuity. In simple terms, he gets 20-25% of all checks cashed forever (not sure if the exact percentage). If the kid makes it to the big show, it'll be a nice investment. If not...lots of money thrown away.

While Matt has responded that this isn't his situation, there are several guys from my club (myself included) who sponsor various guys who are trying to make it as well and we tend to have contracts that are much more similar to what is described here.

The guy I am backing gets everything covered as well as some spending money until he reaches a certain dollar amount in the account we have set up for him, regardless of tour he is on. We have various dollar amounts that the percentage of earnings that comes to us is less but we will forever be on the take regardless of level that he is on. The others have a similar agreement and know of 1 guy who is being backed that once he reaches a certain percentage of repayment (above investment) he is free and clear.

Just wanted to throw it out there so the question was answered from several angles for the original question.

I know you have touched on the financial aspects some but how do most guys play the smaller/mini tours? Do they have backers that expect some sort of future return? Just come from a wealthy family? Work seasonal jobs for part of the year and then play golf the other part of the year? I just don't understand how someone can invest like $1900 into a mini-tour event with a <$150,000 purse.

Friend of mine backs a fully exempt web.com tour player, has been for 3-4 years now. He pays for transportation, lodging, entry fees...maybe some spending $ too. He has it set up where he gets a certain percentage of his winnings up to a certain point, then that percentage changes. It is also in perpetuity. In simple terms, he gets 20-25% of all checks cashed forever (not sure if the exact percentage). If the kid makes it to the big show, it'll be a nice investment. If not...lots of money thrown away.

While Matt has responded that this isn't his situation, there are several guys from my club (myself included) who sponsor various guys who are trying to make it as well and we tend to have contracts that are much more similar to what is described here.

The guy I am backing gets everything covered as well as some spending money until he reaches a certain dollar amount in the account we have set up for him, regardless of tour he is on. We have various dollar amounts that the percentage of earnings that comes to us is less but we will forever be on the take regardless of level that he is on. The others have a similar agreement and know of 1 guy who is being backed that once he reaches a certain percentage of repayment (above investment) he is free and clear.

Just wanted to throw it out there so the question was answered from several angles for the original question.

what club are you a member at?

I have to jump in here on this to respond to this question because the story is too neat and I don't expect Matthew will choose to write all the details that make it special.

He did not grow up belonging to any club, its not in our budget, he grew up on a small 9 hole muni in our small town of Los Osos, no bunkers even on the course but the golf course family that owns it have always been amazing and supportive and let him basically grow up on the course. He picked up range balls and helped out with first tee and did other things to help out and now he is just able to practice and hit balls for free whenever he wants. There are a few other courses in the area that also let him do this as long as it is not at peak times. We have a very supportive golf community where we live.

But... to answer your question, Matthew is a member at The Olympic club in SF. How it happened was very special.

My dad lived in the bay area (about 3 hours north of us) and while growing up we would travel there for Matthew to play in junior tournaments as the competition here was just not going to make him better. We always would stay at my dads and shoot out from there. Matthew's senior year of high school he was playing in a tournament called the san francisco city. Its a big mens amateur event, my dad was also dying and on hospice at the same time. We were up there and not really sure what the best to do was but we both felt my dad would want Matthew to go ahead and play (he could not speak at this point anymore) and hospice said some people will want their loved ones there and some won't because they can somewhat control when they choose to go. They said to just talk to him and tell him what we are doing so he could be aware.

The morning of the first round I whispered to my dad that we were headed to the golf course for the first round. He died during that round, when I found out I had to stay really far away as a spectator so Matthew would not see me cry and I managed to do so. Of course after the round he knew and it was hard, even though you know this is coming, it is never any easier.

​We talked about what grandpa would want as far as the next day of stroke play and we both felt my dad would want him to play, Matthew did play although it was a very hard round for him to get thru. I could not even tell you how it went.

Here is the good part. The morning before the second round I met a man who was caddying for another guy in Matthew's pairing, he was an older gentleman, kind but somewhat gruff, I liked him. He told me how much he liked Matthew and gave me his card and said tell your son that if he wants to become a member at Olympic club I will make that happen for him.

WOW are you kidding me???? Of course Matthew was interested as he had never had access to anything so special. Matthew met the higher ups, had interview and the things he had to do while Marte (our angel) got people to back him. It happened amazingly fast and Matthew is still a member. He does not get to play there often but does when he can. During college when he could Matthew would get up super early on Saturdays and drive there to play in Marte's group.. they always played money games and it was fun for them and for Matthew.

Marte has been a friend and mentor to Matthew since that day and we are so grateful to him. He has also helped Matthew out in many other ways and I truly feel like he came into his life right at the time my father left. I know my dad would be thrilled how this all fell into place for Matthew and that he would approve very much of Marte. Marte always asked Matthew about his grades and how his degree was coming along. He actually graduated in 4 years with a degree in Econ.. Very few golfers get it done in 4 years. Its tough to balance.

Anyway sorry to answer for him but the story is too great to not share.. :)

As a parent of a young professional, I have to say thank you because without people like you, people like Matthew could not be doing what he is doing.

As a parent of a young professional, I have to say thank you because without people like you, people like Matthew could not be doing what he is doing.

I feel like it is damn near impossible to get the necessary reps in the early years of professional golf without people to back us up

I have to jump in here on this to respond to this question because the story is too neat and I don't expect Matthew will choose to write all the details that make it special.

He did not grow up belonging to any club, its not in our budget, he grew up on a small 9 hole muni in our small town of Los Osos, no bunkers even on the course but the golf course family that owns it have always been amazing and supportive and let him basically grow up on the course. He picked up range balls and helped out with first tee and did other things to help out and now he is just able to practice and hit balls for free whenever he wants. There are a few other courses in the area that also let him do this as long as it is not at peak times. We have a very supportive golf community where we live.

But... to answer your question, Matthew is a member at The Olympic club in SF. How it happened was very special.

My dad lived in the bay area (about 3 hours north of us) and while growing up we would travel there for Matthew to play in junior tournaments as the competition here was just not going to make him better. We always would stay at my dads and shoot out from there. Matthew's senior year of high school he was playing in a tournament called the san francisco city. Its a big mens amateur event, my dad was also dying and on hospice at the same time. We were up there and not really sure what the best to do was but we both felt my dad would want Matthew to go ahead and play (he could not speak at this point anymore) and hospice said some people will want their loved ones there and some won't because they can somewhat control when they choose to go. They said to just talk to him and tell him what we are doing so he could be aware.

The morning of the first round I whispered to my dad that we were headed to the golf course for the first round. He died during that round, when I found out I had to stay really far away as a spectator so Matthew would not see me cry and I managed to do so. Of course after the round he knew and it was hard, even though you know this is coming, it is never any easier.

​We talked about what grandpa would want as far as the next day of stroke play and we both felt my dad would want him to play, Matthew did play although it was a very hard round for him to get thru. I could not even tell you how it went.

Here is the good part. The morning before the second round I met a man who was caddying for another guy in Matthew's pairing, he was an older gentleman, kind but somewhat gruff, I liked him. He told me how much he liked Matthew and gave me his card and said tell your son that if he wants to become a member at Olympic club I will make that happen for him.

WOW are you kidding me???? Of course Matthew was interested as he had never had access to anything so special. Matthew met the higher ups, had interview and the things he had to do while Marte (our angel) got people to back him. It happened amazingly fast and Matthew is still a member. He does not get to play there often but does when he can. During college when he could Matthew would get up super early on Saturdays and drive there to play in Marte's group.. they always played money games and it was fun for them and for Matthew.

Marte has been a friend and mentor to Matthew since that day and we are so grateful to him. He has also helped Matthew out in many other ways and I truly feel like he came into his life right at the time my father left. I know my dad would be thrilled how this all fell into place for Matthew and that he would approve very much of Marte. Marte always asked Matthew about his grades and how his degree was coming along. He actually graduated in 4 years with a degree in Econ.. Very few golfers get it done in 4 years. Its tough to balance.

What a great story. I am sorry to hear about g-pa/your dad passing away.

Thats awesome that someone saw his talent and took him under his wing to help him along. Thats what this world needs more of!

One of the best stories that I have heard on here. Thank you for sharing!

Here comes a RANT!!!! Oh my gosh so stinking frustrated right now. Next week is Canada's 4th event, Matthew has had a spot in the field this whole time. The cutoff is 2pm today, as of 12:30 he was still in. But oh no some yahoo last minute Lucy's decided to sign up and bump him from the field. What really gets me though is I expect there is a good possibility that one or both of them don't actually go and decide to W/D thereby increasing the possibility of a phone call saying he is back in last minute. I mean seriously its just really hard for me to understand how people can just operate like that. Signing up the last hour when they have had months to do it????

We felt so certain we even booked him flights for both ways and he had a place lined up to stay with a buddy. Fortunately we booked in last 24 hours so it is fully refundable. I am annoyed and he is bummed. He loved that course last year and played well there.

Ugh I hope this whole situation gets better after the reshuffle. Mom rant over.. :angry22:

ps- young fellow who had a darling finance we met in Vancouver got bumped as well. Im sure he didn't expect that either.. He was in a different category.

Here comes a RANT!!!! Oh my gosh so stinking frustrated right now. Next week is Canada's 4th event, Matthew has had a spot in the field this whole time. The cutoff is 2pm today, as of 12:30 he was still in. But oh no some yahoo last minute Lucy's decided to sign up and bump him from the field. What really gets me though is I expect there is a good possibility that one or both of them don't actually go and decide to W/D thereby increasing the possibility of a phone call saying he is back in last minute. I mean seriously its just really hard for me to understand how people can just operate like that. Signing up the last hour when they have had months to do it????

We felt so certain we even booked him flights for both ways and he had a place lined up to stay with a buddy. Fortunately we booked in last 24 hours so it is fully refundable. I am annoyed and he is bummed. He loved that course last year and played well there.

Ugh I hope this whole situation gets better after the reshuffle. Mom rant over.. :angry22:

ps- young fellow who had a darling finance we met in Vancouver got bumped as well. Im sure he didn't expect that either.. He was in a different category.

This is the part of being a pro golfer that we never hear about. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure if I should give the rant a like or not!

This is the part of being a pro golfer that we never hear about. Thanks for sharing.

Not sure if I should give the rant a like or not!

No need to like, just airing the frustrating part of his situation, it makes it hard to actually plan or schedule anything with so much uncertainty.

if flights are booked, can he not try to Monday qualify ?

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

He was booked on a Sunday flight, would get in late and have no chance to even see course before trying to qualify and the cost of doing that is just more than he can afford. If he is "in" the event that's one thing but to spend potentially $1000 to try to Q is just not something that is doable right now..

He was booked on a Sunday flight, would get in late and have no chance to even see course before trying to qualify and the cost of doing that is just more than he can afford. If he is "in" the event that's one thing but to spend potentially $1000 to try to Q is just not something that is doable right now..

the qualifier is at my home course, not at the host course

if plans change, I'd be happy to caddy for him on Monday (I'm not scratch but play to a 2 there)

i know the place inside and out and to be honest its a pretty easy course thats wide open

id also be willing to pick him up in the am, take him there, make sure he's fed and watered ;) all day and basically take care of him for the day

just an option, but also understand the cost aspect may not be something he can do right now

shoot me a PM if something changes

the qualifier is at my home course, not at the host course

if plans change, I'd be happy to caddy for him on Monday (I'm not scratch but play to a 2 there)

i know the place inside and out and to be honest its a pretty easy course thats wide open

id also be willing to pick him up in the am, take him there, make sure he's fed and watered ;) all day and basically take care of him for the day

just an option, but also understand the cost aspect may not be something he can do right now

shoot me a PM if something changes

You are so kind... Thank you. I will let him know. We already cancelled his flights though and I expect he won't feel comfortable spending that much on airfare for a qualifier. It's not that he can't make it thru the qualifier, its more of that he is not one to want to take that much risk for something uncertain. If he is in the field that's a different situation altogether. He has seen too many of his buddies who he knows also can play miss out on Monday qualifying and just lost lots of money.

You are so kind... Thank you. I will let him know. We already cancelled his flights though and I expect he won't feel comfortable spending that much on airfare for a qualifier. It's not that he can't make it thru the qualifier, its more of that he is not one to want to take that much risk for something uncertain. If he is in the field that's a different situation altogether. He has seen too many of his buddies who he knows also can play miss out on Monday qualifying and just lost lots of money.

NP

keep us in the loop if he does make it in last minute, I was looking forward to watching him

Dakota is such an incredible course

NP

keep us in the loop if he does make it in last minute, I was looking forward to watching him

Dakota is such an incredible course

Yep thats why he is so upset, he played last year, and loved the course despite the smoky air that was happening..

What is Matt's schedule looking like for the following week? the Web.com tour will be visiting Wichita, KS my home town June 23-26th

We are still hoping he will get a call and get to go to Canada and play in Saskatoon. He said if he receives a call even Sunday or Monday he will go. If that doesn't happen he will just use the week to train at the UC Davis short game facility which is great.

A fun thing today - Nike stuff!!! Boxes just show up here and these had clothes and shoes. 2 pairs of the Nike FI Premier, see photo, one black one white/grey. Also there were 10 new shirts, a super sleek new all weather jacket for wind and rain and 3 other jacket/sweatshirt things. I expect pants and hats will come another day as that is usually what happens. They are so generous.. Blows my mind. I think its about 4 clothing kits a year. Out of curiosity I added up retail of the items that came and without tax it was over $1800.. I am glad he lets me open the stuff to peek, its fun.. :smilie_nike:

Fantastic for you guys from Nike. Makes me feel better about buying my kid Nike for his soccer stuff. May have to get him a new Nike ball for the Select AUSA team he just made.

I haven't been a big fan since I wore out my black Terminator kicks in the 80's. that may have just changed.

Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver<br />Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)<br />Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,<br />Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,<br />Scratch 50*DD wedge,<br />Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,<br />Odyssey #9 White Hot,<br />Snell My Tour Ball,<br />True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)<br /><br />TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick

Fantastic for you guys from Nike. Makes me feel better about buying my kid Nike for his soccer stuff. May have to get him a new Nike ball for the Select AUSA team he just made.

I haven't been a big fan since I wore out my black Terminator kicks in the 80's. that may have just changed.

^Nice^

I always make an effort to buy Nike products when I can due to how amazed I am at how well they take care of their players. Its really amazing..

wow great story, thanks for sharing.

UC Davis Alumni here as well.

I remember working at El Macero Country club while attending UCD. Some of those kids on the UCD golf team are great players.

What is Matt's schedule looking like for the following week? the Web.com tour will be visiting Wichita, KS my home town June 23-26th

Are you going to be out there? I'll be in the tents on 17 Friday/Saturday. I offered to help find him a place to stay and a caddy if he gets down here for it somehow. Going to be hot...

Are you going to be out there? I'll be in the tents on 17 Friday/Saturday. I offered to help find him a place to stay and a caddy if he gets down here for it somehow. Going to be hot...

You are in Kansas or Saskatoon? Sorry confused.. Either way, no I am not planning on going. If he is high enough on the money list to guarantee entry into the next events I was planning on going to the 6th Staal Foundation in mid July and the National Capital to support troops in mid Aug.. I would like to see parts of Canada I did not see last year. Very nice of you to offer to help him out. He is in bay area with his gf and her family before heading back to Davis, all while hoping for that phone call or text.

I think he has a place to stay if he gets in, his buddy Tyler has a friend or something and said Matthew could stay with them. Not sure but thought that was the case.

kdphan- Go Ags!!!! When did you graduate??

You are in Kansas or Saskatoon? Sorry confused.. Either way, no I am not planning on going. If he is high enough on the money list to guarantee entry into the next events I was planning on going to the 6th Staal Foundation in mid July and the National Capital to support troops in mid Aug.. I would like to see parts of Canada I did not see last year. Very nice of you to offer to help him out. He is in bay area with his gf and her family before heading back to Davis, all while hoping for that phone call or text.

I think he has a place to stay if he gets in, his buddy Tyler has a friend or something and said Matthew could stay with them. Not sure but thought that was the case.

I am in Wichita, KS. Was seeing if Matt would be trying for the Monday Qualifier for the Web.com event in Wichita next week, but you said he was waiting for a late call in Canada or staying home to practice :-)

Titliest 915D3 Diamana D+ White 70
Titliest 3W 915Fd 15*
Titliest Hybrid 915Hd 20.5*
Adams Pro hybrid 23* (2014)
Mizuno MP-69 irons 5-PW S300
Taylormade rac Wedges 52,56

^Nice^

I always make an effort to buy Nike products when I can due to how amazed I am at how well they take care of their players. Its really amazing..

If it helps, it's not just their players. They go the extra mile and beyond for employees, could tell you a story about our sons kidney transplant that will seriously make you smile. An all around good company.

I am in Wichita, KS. Was seeing if Matt would be trying for the Monday Qualifier for the Web.com event in Wichita next week, but you said he was waiting for a late call in Canada or staying home to practice :-)

Okay, that's what I thought.. Thank you for the offer though.. Very kind of you.