The 6 Hybrid

cardoustie

A few comments:

I was one of the last to get on the hybrid train. Used to have to use them in steel shafts and hit some world class hooks with my 3h. Then I moved to a 7w. But now my swing is shallower and more from the inside and hybrids are just plain FUN & EASY (and less hook biased with heavier shafts for me anyways!

I recall Dana Quigley had a 6h when he was a top senior player. Obee beat Phil Mickelson straight up, and he carries a 6h, stud muffin right there. Soooo ...

I am just back from 7 days in Orlando / Myrtle Beach (followed by a detox in Eleuthera Bahamas) and I can't stop thinking about one thing .. How freakin' good I hit my 5h in MB!!

This Cally Apex 5h - with a NVS 105x shaft in it - is like cheating for me. I had many instances where I would hit MUCH better shots with my 5h vs my 7i. I was hitting greens all day down there with the 4h and 5h, It got to the point where I would rather be 200 out vs 175 out. (it was cold and wet and windy ... there were courses I played where I'd previously hit PW into a hole and I was 40 yards back of that 14 days back, felt like 6700 was 7300)

If the Apex came in a 6 .. I'd have to eat my man card and get one. Big single malt needed tonite to bring some manliness back in

That's all I got .. except I need to find a "players" 6h. Sort of an oxymoron I know. Any recommendations to test ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have evolved (aged?) to where I carry the 2h thru 6h. My 6h is a Callaway X Hot and a dream to hit - rarely am I not on the green or just off. Now at 64 years old the 6h is a good 140-145 club for me but I will choke down and use it from as short as 135. I can also hit my Nike Sumo 2h 200+ yards.

I would check the used market for the Callaway X Hot 6h - good luck!

A few comments:

I was one of the last to get on the hybrid train. Used to have to use them in steel shafts and hit some world class hooks with my 3h. Then I moved to a 7w. But now my swing is shallower and more from the inside and hybrids are just plain FUN & EASY (and less hook biased with heavier shafts for me anyways!

I recall Dana Quigley had a 6h when he was a top senior player. Obee beat Phil Mickelson straight up, and he carries a 6h, stud muffin right there. Soooo ...

I am just back from 7 days in Orlando / Myrtle Beach (followed by a detox in Eleuthera Bahamas) and I can't stop thinking about one thing .. How freakin' good I hit my 5h in MB!!

This Cally Apex 5h - with a NVS 105x shaft in it - is like cheating for me. I had many instances where I would hit MUCH better shots with my 5h vs my 7i. I was hitting greens all day down there with the 4h and 5h, It got to the point where I would rather be 200 out vs 175 out. (it was cold and wet and windy ... there were courses I played where I'd previously hit PW into a hole and I was 40 yards back of that 14 days back, felt like 6700 was 7300)

If the Apex came in a 6 .. I'd have to eat my man card and get one. Big single malt needed tonite to bring some manliness back in

That's all I got .. except I need to find a "players" 6h. Sort of an oxymoron I know. Any recommendations to test ?

LMAO. I really enjoyed reading this. near the end of the last golf season I was feeling the exact opposite. Irons were great... hybrid was pissing me off. One found its way into the forest and the other has been benched to the corner of the garage with the other delinquents waiting for the call up. In goes a 4 iron. RSI1 so a shovel according to most WRX'ers and then an R15 hybrid... only because I got it new for $40 Canadian... (about $3 US)

I can relate. Love me some high lofted hybrids…..

In 2014, I carried a 31* hybrid which replaced my 6i called the Reva made by Giga Golf. Big old honkin head with a steel shaft. Great club. Easy to launch and perfect to get back in play over top tall trees after an errant drive. Downside was playing in the wind. I lost too much yardage with it on headwinds. In 2015, switched to Cleveland Altitude irons starting with the 6i on down, which are essentially hybrid irons or hyrons if you will. The 6 hyron is a great club. I had two shots with it, (one on a par 3 and a 2nd shot on a par 4) both end up within less than a foot of the hole. Closest I have ever come to a hole in one or Eagle. And to think this offseason I thought of replacing it… I need to smack myself. Thanks for the this thread, lol talked me into some sense.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Hammy I used to swear by my rapture J long irons (I have the 3 to 6).

Now I swear at them!! They are not as easy to hit out of the rough and not as consistent as a Hybrid. Plus, for me ... I KNOW I KNOW .. I do not do well with SGI irons off of firm fairways.

A big miss with a hybrid will be worse, than say a 4i, but with the new anti-hook designs (like the Apex) the big misses are few and far between)

EvnRoll ER9

I used to make fun of my twin with his G25 6h, he would wear it out from 150-175. He loved that more than his 8 iron

Funny though in MB, he was loving my 5h. He normally plays stiff but tossed down a ball on the final hole at Prestwick. 177 into a two to three club wind (and it was 40*F out) ... he hit it 6 feet behind the hole. (His normal 5h goes 185)

EvnRoll ER9

I have a Maltby KE4 Tour 25° head that Golfworks Canada bent to 28° for me. The weight screw makes it easy to add weight so you can set it up shorter.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I carried 16* and 25* Alpha V5 hybrids last year, then a 26* 6 iron. I'll probably keep pretty close to the same setup again. But a few weeks ago at the range, one of the odd clubs sitting in the bin for non-golfers to swing was an Adams Idea Tech V3 33* 7H with a graphite A flex shaft. It was a gas -- I was just bombing it at a 175 target. Never thought I could hit it that far, that high, and that straight. It was gone the next week, but if I see one cheap somewhere, I'll give it some serious thought.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

I hit my 21 and 24 so well that I bought a 27 (twice) to replace my 6i. Can't hit it. The amount of loft that I can see on the face of that hybrid makes me do weird things. Demoing a Razr XF 6i at the moment. It is humongous! Nonetheless, so far so good.

TM M3 440 - Tensei CK Blue 60S
Titleist TS2 3W - Tensei AV Blue 55R
Titleist 818H1 21, 25 - IRoD 95 
Callaway X Forged 18 - Recoil Proto 110 
Mizuno S18 - Recoil Proto 125
Evnroll ER2

A few comments:

This is so cool. In the old days of hickory, you built your play set one club at a time. If you had a club that your could hit full out, and also hit with something less than that for less distance, you had a great club if it worked for you all the time.

So, you found a 5H that works great for you. Fantastic! Never get rid of it - until you can't hit it anymore.

That next club in your bag, up or down, might be an iron, and it might be a fairway wood.

You have a 5 hybrid that you can depend on. That doesn't mean that you won't find a 4-iron that is money. And, it might mean that you will find a 6 hybrid that will be just wonderful, but maybe that spot in your bag will be taken by a 9-wood, or a Super Game Improvement 6-iron. Who knows?

What I am saying is that you have 14 slots in the bag (10 or less for me, because I chose to carry), and when you find a winner, you should embrace it. And, if you have a 5 hybrid that you can hit full and also 3/4, maybe you only need a 7-iron for the next club in your gapping.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Gvog's

I could do another post on my 4h !!

!6th ... I hear ya brother

EvnRoll ER9

I recently put a 5h (Adams 9031 Idea Pro) in my bag. I've found that I reach for the 5h and choke down instead of pulling out the 6i.

WITB Link

To be honest, I've never seen anyone hit a hybrid consistently and have any idea where it was going. They hit it high enough, and long, but all over the place.

I think most would be much better off hitting mid and long irons, all the way to the 3 iron. At least mis-hits will be on line but just short. Not OB, and in the trees or rough.

As recently as the '90's, everyone carried down to a 3 iron, and kept it in on line much better. Hybrid users, check your handicap, it's still the same as it was when you played long irons.

HIt em good

• Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

To be honest, I've never seen anyone hit a hybrid consistently and have any idea where it was going. They hit it high enough, and long, but all over the place.

I think most would be much better off hitting mid and long irons, all the way to the 3 iron. At least mis-hits will be on line but just short. Not OB, and in the trees or rough.

As recently as the '90's, everyone carried down to a 3 iron, and kept it in on line much better. Hybrid users, check your handicap, it's still the same as it was when you played long irons.

HIt em good

Mine isn't. It's much better now.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

HIt em good

I'm very good with my hybrids. Can't hit a long iron (3 or 4) to save my life. I'm guessing you may not play with that many different people. Very opinionated about something that is easy to disprove. Just because someone using a hybrid hits bad shots, doesn't mean they would be better off with a long iron instead.

I've never seen someone in person with a Scotty Cameron putter who was a great putter. Doesn't mean the putter is the problem.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero with Rogue Max
Cobra F6 Baffler
Ping g30 19*, 22*, 26* hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec 6i-GW
Ping Glide WS 54* and 60*
Evnroll ER7

i have the Adams V4 in 19* 3H, 22* 4H, 25* 5H, 28* 6H, 32* 7H and the forged irons 6-P.G,S and L....

the 6H and 7H are exactly the same length as the 6 and 7 forged irons...

i hit the 6H and 7H longer,higher and more consistently than their equivalent irons so those irons are just resting right now and occasionally see some range use..

i have the stock 55-gram mitsubishi rayon lite graphite shafts on mine and i don't see them being replaced anytime soon......

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

HIt em good

++

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

HIt em good

++

I see the opposite ... Guys that are so good with hybrids and can't hit 3,4,5 irons to save their life

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

• 1 month later...

HIt em good

It all depends on what kind of swing you have. If you are a "trapper" or a "digger," hybrids will almost certainly help your game. If you have a more neutral impact or are even the least bit "flippy" at the bottom, then stay away from hybrids. I have quite a bit of forward shaft lean at impact, and hybrids are a no-brainer for me. I'm simply a better golfer with them in my bag, no doubt.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

A few comments:

Just want to set the record straight: I did not beat Phil Mickelson, I tied him. And it wasn't "straight up," I had a 700 yard advantage! LOL

• Like 4

G30's come in a 6, probably G also, with the right shaft not hookers.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

HIt em good

It all depends on what kind of swing you have. If you are a "trapper" or a "digger," hybrids will almost certainly help your game. If you have a more neutral impact or are even the least bit "flippy" at the bottom, then stay away from hybrids. I have quite a bit of forward shaft lean at impact, and hybrids are a no-brainer for me. I'm simply a better golfer with them in my bag, no doubt.

Why would this be the case? Not in disagreement, just genuinely curious as I'm flippy and don't get much shaft lean.

• Like 1

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

6 hybrid?????

Come on guys. Put the 3 iron back in the bag and let's go play golf.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

Is 27* a 6H? Whether or not it is, I picked one up as an emergency club for when my lower back is crocked and I get shanky with my irons.

I have to say it is weird looking down at a hybrid with that much loft. I've had it in the bag the last 4 rounds, but only used it twice. Easy enough, but I really really like my z745 5I, so I cannot see it being a permanent addition to the bag.

That raises another question, how do you lotsa hybrid guys find anything with all those head covers in there? I actually went on eBay and found a seller who does custom basic coloured (with stripes and/or numbers) knit ones, and got a set of four done up in Canucks/Seahawks type colours. I like the old school knit look, so I reckon I'll try another order with numbers on them:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

27* well generally replace a five iron, not a six iron.