2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Garmin S20 GPS Watch

Okay, I've been able to get a few round in with my S20.

Accuracy is really good, I've been using a Bushnell xs which can be a bit slow in updating yardages and occasionally is off by 10 or more yards.

The hazards can be really great with yardages to hazards and carry distances to clear the hazard. I've found all traps, water, and major ditches listed.

The bad for hazards: Some hazards when they are near another hazard do not separate the two hazards. For example I have seen fairway bunkers 20 or 30 yards in front of a water hazards and all you get is the front of the bunker to the back of the water hazard. Also some water hazards in front of greens do not have a carry distance if the water is only in front of the green by 30 or so yards.

Shot tracker is great except if you are playing a round with a friend in a cart and he keeps asking you yardages to hazards (if he is a shorter hitter than you he will hit before you get to your ball to enter the shot and club used. You have to hit ok and enter a wrong yardage for your shot to get to the hazard screen to give him the hazard info. Some have said go to your ball first but this is not practical when you are a lot further ahead or you are on the other side of the fairway or your cart partner or you have to look for a ball.

It's way too easy to forget to enter the shot info if you are looking for a lost ball (either yours or your cart partner) or if you get distracted when talking to others in your group, especially if you are playing on a slow day and have to wait for your next shot. Think about waiting if your cart partner is 40 yards behind you or you are on the other side of a wide fairway waiting for the group in front of you for 10 mins or so. You may have time to drive to your shot but driving back and forth while waiting is very distracting and annoying.

Unless you are a long hitter (I am a senior), its almost impossible to remember to stop at the back tee to allow the S20 to register the fact that you on a new tee box. I have found if you start on the back tee and then walk a closer tee you will always get the tee shot to register, but if you are in a cart where there is a ditch or water separating the very back tee from the reg or senior tees you probably won't get out and start at the back tee.

Overall a great golf watch but you have to pay close attention to use all of the functions. You have to play your own game and not allow others to ask you for info and you have to check your watch every hole and every shot. Probably more than most golfers want to do, especially if playing with friends (even more so if you are playing for money-too easy to get distracted).

If you set your individual pace distance (how big is each step you take) you can get a pretty accurate fitness tracker but I think there are better out there, especially if you want one to measure your heart rate monitor.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot tracker is great except if you are playing a round with a friend in a cart and he keeps asking you yardages to hazards (if he is a shorter hitter than you he will hit before you get to your ball to enter the shot and club used. You have to hit ok and enter a wrong yardage for your shot to get to the hazard screen to give him the hazard info. Some have said go to your ball first but this is not practical when you are a lot further ahead or you are on the other side of the fairway or your cart partner or you have to look for a ball.

It's way too easy to forget to enter the shot info if you are looking for a lost ball (either yours or your cart partner) or if you get distracted when talking to others in your group, especially if you are playing on a slow day and have to wait for your next shot. Think about waiting if your cart partner is 40 yards behind you or you are on the other side of a wide fairway waiting for the group in front of you for 10 mins or so. You may have time to drive to your shot but driving back and forth while waiting is very distracting and annoying.

Hmm.. The yardages for your shot doesn't get registered when you select your club, but when you hit your next shot (the watch then automatically calculate the yardages between those two shots to get the right distance). I always select my club right after my shot and and the autoshot function works just as expected.

As for times when you forget to choose club you can edit it manually after the round through Garmin Connect (the watch will register the shot as "unknown club").

Thx for all the information so far.

Does the S20 recognise the hole?

I noticed some devices just starting at hole 1, although I was on the teebox at hole 10 :(

Some say the S20 is more precise than other GPS watches, has someone really compared measurements with f.e. a laser?

It does, at least it does it for 1st or 10th, that's the only holes I've started on so far. But if you are standing in the club house when starting the round on the watch you should take a good look before your first shot. It won't change hole automatically until you have reached the green on the selected one.

• 2 weeks later...

I was using my S20 with a older software version and everything was ok as far as using the watch for a GPS and using the scorecard. I decided to update it before going to play a course I haven't played in a while and sure enough when I turned it on at the course the next morning it gave me the "no courses nearby" message. It was totally useless that round, but when I got home I called Garmin support and they did a reset and everything was ok after that. They also said I should not have any issues going forward. Hope this helps.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

So is the smart thing to buy it, update it and then have them reset your account and then go play?

Yupe. ;)

I also agree. It appears that the original firmware version had a glitch in it that they have since fixed. It would be nice if a Garmin rep would chime in and let prospective customers know if the watches would ship with a updated firmware. After resetting the watch, I was playing and walked off a green and the watch advanced to the yardage for the next hole before I could enter the score and stats for the previous hole. I was able to go back to the previous hole and enter the info. I don't believe I could do this before the reset (I had tried and finally gave up). So there may be other "fixes" in addition to the "no courses nearby" error.

Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Srixon z565 6 thru PW

I've had mine for a while now. Software v2.90 - no problems after customer service reset my account. Everything works well now except for the autoshot feature. it still misses random strokes here and there. Bit annoying when Connect says my drive went 530 yards. sometimes end up having to delete data for 2 holes to make everything else report correctly.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my s20 yesterday and tried to use it today. I also got "no courses found" even though on the Garmin connect app on my phone I was able to download the course. I did update the software when I got it. So from the posts above I understand I have to call Garmin and have them reset my account?

Edit to say that Garmin reset my account and it is now working.

• 4 weeks later...

I used my S20 for the first time yesterday and it worked perfectly for my quick 9 holes.

I'd connected it to my laptop the day before and updated the software and courses and it had no issues picking up the course when I first arrived and I found the Autoshot functionality a doddle to use. Hit a shot, put the club away and look at the watch and 9 times out of 10 it had suggested the right club so it just needed me to press the OK button to record it correctly. On the odd occasion it didn't suggest the correct club it was just a case of scrolling up or down at the press of a button to get the right club. Not an arduous task by any stretch of the imagination.

My 9 holes have uploaded to Garmin Connect without any issues to so for me, so far so good and I'm very pleased with the S20.

The one thing I've not spotted so far is if Garmin Connect or the S20 can show me average distances for my clubs. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be available or not. If not then it would be a useful enhancement to the Connect analysis.

I used my S20 for the first time yesterday and it worked perfectly for my quick 9 holes.

I'd connected it to my laptop the day before and updated the software and courses and it had no issues picking up the course when I first arrived and I found the Autoshot functionality a doddle to use. Hit a shot, put the club away and look at the watch and 9 times out of 10 it had suggested the right club so it just needed me to press the OK button to record it correctly. On the odd occasion it didn't suggest the correct club it was just a case of scrolling up or down at the press of a button to get the right club. Not an arduous task by any stretch of the imagination.

My 9 holes have uploaded to Garmin Connect without any issues to so for me, so far so good and I'm very pleased with the S20.

The one thing I've not spotted so far is if Garmin Connect or the S20 can show me average distances for my clubs. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be available or not. If not then it would be a useful enhancement to the Connect analysis.

You will find this under Equipment where you can configure your clubs. In the same place you will also see your average distances. I written a longer thing about this earlier in the thread where I go on about how the calculations could improve.

You will find this under Equipment where you can configure your clubs. In the same place you will also see your average distances. I written a longer thing about this earlier in the thread where I go on about how the calculations could improve.

Oh yeah, thanks Abertil I've found it now.

There's no average distance data as yet, just a list of clubs, but I'm guessing that's due to a lack of data as I've only used it for 9 holes.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my finger hovering over the order button for a week now, but this thread is certainly keeping me from pulling the trigger. It seems that the product is not even close to delivering what's advertised.

Bummer, as I was looking for a way to combine activity tracking and golf with one device and the s20 seemed perfect for that.

Hi all,

I have been looking for a product that can tell me distance to the hole as well as information on how far I am hitting each club. I thought I found the perfect solution with the S20, but after reading this post, seems to be too glitchy. Is there anything else on the market that can provide what I'm looking for without having to pair two different products? (range finder with something like Game Golf)?

Thanks in advance

Even though Auto Shot is glitchy, you can still Measure your shots with the "Measuring a Shot" feature. To me the BIG advantage of the S20 over its peers is that it gives hazard detail. It also gives true near, center, far green distances, green shape and moveable pin-- all with no annual fee. Other pluses are score keeping and stats tracking. Combine that with an activity tracker, long battery life, stylish and it seems like a good product that is priced well regardless of Auto Shot.

I really don't know why I'd need Autoshot and why I'd want to look back shot by shot on a screen? Maybe I'm missing something about the importance of that. It kind of reminds me of other apps I use while skiing, hiking or running-- it's brief novelty to see your tracks superimposed on google earth, but all I really end up caring about is; how far I traveled, my top speed, average speed, calories burned etc.

If my Neo-X dies this year I'll probably jump on the S20 regardless of Autoshot working well or not.

I've had the S20 all season and you made a post that pretty much summed up my sentiments exactly (except I don't use the activity tracker). I also had been using a Neo-X for a few years and there is no doubt that the S20 watch updates my distance practically immediately where with the Bushnell I would arrive at my ball and had to wait to get a updated, accurate number. This happened with normal play as well as when using the shot measure feature and having to wait before I could press the button to give me distance to green. I hated the waiting (Garmin definitely has the edge over Bushnell on this). Another feature that may be overlooked with the S20 is the fit of the band. It has a bump on the band that after locking in the correct slot, you slide the sleeve over the excess part of the band and it stays in place. After using the S20 all summer I would buy it again.

Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Srixon z565 6 thru PW

I'm making this particular post with hopes that at some point a Garmin support person will log on and make notes and fixes to our issues concerning the S20.

The other day I was playing a hole and after hitting my drive I was approaching my ball to make my second shot into the green. As I approached my ball, I noticed on the watch that I was 75 yards from the center of the green. While looking at the 75 number the display changed to "record the score" mode. This is too far from the green for this to be happening. Garmin....please fix this. I have noticed this happening before. In case anyone is wondering, the tee box for the next hole is past the green I am referring to.

Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Srixon z565 6 thru PW

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking for some time and finally picked up an S20. Played two rounds with it and really liking it. FMB is great, but the one thing I really wanted was to be able to see distance to hazards. "Will I reach the bunker with a driver? How about 3 Wood?" This not only does that, but also layups (200yd, 150yd 100yd). So, on a long par 5 and I don't hit a great drive, I can now quickly see how far to the 150 or 100 marker instead of only FMB which could still be over 300 yds.

An example from a recent round where it really helped was this... Playing a course I had only played once before, so don't know distances. This one hole was a 347 yd Par 4 with a good dogleg right from an extremely elevated tee. You are able to cut the corner, but how much corner can be cut? I was able to quickly figure out a good drive would take me to the 100yd marker so that was my target. Standing over the ball I wasn't thinking about distance. I wasn't thinking about will I drive through the fairway or will I try and cut too much off? Do I swing full or take something off of it? Because I wasn't worrying about that stuff I swung normal and hit a great drive. The ball landed within 8 feet of the 100 yd marker and rolled to the far side of the fairway. Total distance was 281 yds and I was setup perfect for my second shot. If the S20 only showed FMB I would have no clue what to hit or where to aim on this hole and many others.

Other things I really like is the Shot Tracking feature. I haven't experienced any glitches and it is nice that it keeps track of "Fairways, GIR and Putts" as I used to keep this on my scorecard anyway. I haven't messed with club tracking yet, but always an option.

I think it is a perfect GPS for what I am looking to get out of it. I used to wear a Fitbit so I like the activity tracking and the watch itself is much better. The battery also lasts a much longer time compared to the Fitbit.

I would recommend.

I've been using my S20 for a couple of months now and I've not had any issues with the Autoshot or any other feature of the watch.

I find the ability to review the distances I actually hit clubs pretty useful (both on the course by going Measure Shot and scrolling down to previous holes and on Garmin Connect back at home) as it just helps to get a more realistic picture of how far clubs are going under different conditions. The average distance measurement is useful too but you need to be careful to not associate bad shots or half shots to those clubs if you want an average of your solid hits for each club.

I've found the accuracy pretty spot on too and the hazards/layups functions are very handy. I miss having an graphical overview of a hole if I'm playing a new course, but you can't have everything at this price point.

All in all I'm a very satisfied S20 customer.

Worn the S20 daily since Feb of this year. Biggest annoyance now is a nasty smell from the wristband. Tried sanitizing multiple ways but the smell comes back very quickly. The watch did have any odor at all until recently. Thinking some wrist-band options would be nice at this point.

Also, when charging, the watch displays 100% battery so I disconnect the dongle. The S20 then displays 92%. I immediately reconnect for charging and it again shows 100%. Apparently 92% is the new 100%. This makes me suspect the life expectancy of the battery is drawing near. Another 6 months? Maybe 9? Wonder how much a replacement battery will cost...

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Worn the S20 daily since Feb of this year. Biggest annoyance now is a nasty smell from the wristband. Tried sanitizing multiple ways but the smell comes back very quickly. The watch did have any odor at all until recently. Thinking some wrist-band options would be nice at this point.

Also, when charging, the watch displays 100% battery so I disconnect the dongle. The S20 then displays 92%. I immediately reconnect for charging and it again shows 100%. Apparently 92% is the new 100%. This makes me suspect the life expectancy of the battery is drawing near. Another 6 months? Maybe 9? Wonder how much a replacement battery will cost...

Interesting. I have been wearing my daily since it came out, and have not noticed either of these issues. Do you shower with yours on? I do, and it seems to keep it clean enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I have been wearing my daily since it came out, and have not noticed either of these issues. Do you shower with yours on? I do, and it seems to keep it clean enough.

It's on my wrist 24/7. Shower, sleep, eat, etc. Like I said, didn't have any issues until recently. Perhaps a protective coating or something in the material has run it's course. Who knows?

Still like the watch, but it's annoying when you forget to turn it on before teeing off on the first hole. Why can't they revise the website to allow editing post-round?!

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Read through all the excellent reviews on here and very useful information. Decided to take the plunge as many of the issues seem to have been resolved with the software updates. Is anyone able to confirm if there is no longer a need to have Garmin express installed on pc in order to upload and sync scorecards, with this all now being able to be carried out via Garmin connect app? It seems to imply this on a recent upate to version 2.80 below. I would hope so given many people only use tablets these days.

• Added ability to initiate a sync with the device from Garmin Connect Mobile.

Yes, you can open Connect on your smartphone and sync from the watch. I like to do this sometimes right after a round to review stats and shots over a beer at the 19th hole. Then the info will also be there already in Garmin Express if/when you open it from a PC.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

My watch was working perfectly until this weeks update!

What brainiacs idea was it to change the auto shot function?!

Mine now registers a shot every time I stop walking. I have to stop walking so my playing partners can play! This function had been working perfectly for me.

Call Garmin. They have great customer support.

Any new updates on the functionality of the watch? I have been using this thread as a tool to see if I want to upgrade from my NEO XS. I see that Garmin is on software version 3.20. Are these updates noticeably better? Have they implemented a manual shot tracking function or plan to? If they do and give you the ability to edit rounds post uploading I will be buying this watch. Thanks to everyone who have been contributing to this thread it has been very informative.

Titleist 910 D3 Aldila Rogue Silver 60x
Titleist 915f Aldila Rogue Black 80x
Titleist 712u 2 iron
Titleist AP2 712 DGS300
Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
Vokey SM5 52 56 60