Garmin S20 GPS Watch

Finally received mine. Won't be able to test the golf side of things until at least Sunday, but so far, so good.

Really the only snag I've hit was that Connect claims I have an update available (The Americas course update) yet when I try to install, it tells me that I don't have enough room.

Mine arrived today and Im having the same issue.

Call them tomorrow. Mine just says "Error during Download", or something similar. I've not gotten the error about not enough space for an update. On my S4, it would say all courses were available for updates, but then when I selected to update all it would say not enough space so choose which region you want to update.

I'll also put it out there one more time, because I'm not sure everyone understands (I didn't at first!). Garmin Express and Garmin Connect are 2 separate platforms. Express syncs the data from your device, and Connect shows the results, in my layman's understanding. So you could have 50 rounds saved on your watch, but if you never sync through Express, you'll never see any of them on Connect. I'm sure this doesn't apply to you guys, but wanted to put it out there.

I was able to upgrade from ver. 2.20 to 2.30 tonight, but course updates still don't work.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to add, it seems this didn't go through a lot of testing prior to release, so it seems maybe one software fix will create new problems. I've seen it hundreds of times in my line of work, but they usually get it right, sometimes it just takes some patience.

I noticed they are holding off on the G10 release. I wonder if they use similar software and are using the S20 as the "beta" and if the G10 will work flawlessly on release, or if we'll see another thread about a bunch of problems with it?

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Just to say mine updated to Software version 2.30 last night. As a test I started a new round and just entered random scores on my drive to work. Synced up the S20 and its saved the scorecard!! Superb. . There are no stats regarding distances as I never swung a club but it does have putt stats etc. I will go out tonight for 9 holes and record everything and fingers crossed everything is as it should be.

Also, when I synced the watch it installed the course updates successfully.

Would also just like to say, thanks so much for your help thus far Halliedog, much appreciated.

I noticed they are holding off on the G10 release. I wonder if they use similar software and are using the S20 as the "beta" and if the G10 will work flawlessly on release, or if we'll see another thread about a bunch of problems with it?

lets hope so, the g10 is what I'm getting

Same here, has anyone got their hands on a g10?

Update - I plugged in this morning just for the heck of it, and it did a quick sync in Express, then where it normally says "Course Updates Available" (this is where I've been getting the error) it now says all courses are up to date :D ! Maybe that glitch is fixed now with ver. 2.30!

I'll keep you guys posted if I ever get any feedback from my conversation last night with support regarding the provisional/penalty shot thing and the option to select different tees.

Not sure when the G10 is scheduled for release. Have you pre-ordered yet anywhere? I was looking for reviews of the S20 prior to release, as companies often leak a few to bloggers/reviewers early, but not the case with Garmin.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

- On number 10, I pulled my drive dangerously close to OB, but it hit a few pine trees and none of us saw it come down. My autoshot asked what club and I said driver. I then hit a provisional, and it again asked what club and I again selected driver. Still not sure which shot it used, although I guess I could go in and look at the hole in the scorecard/hole overview and see what it registered. He said that was a good question on how it handles provisionals and penalty shots, and he didn't have the answer, but would get back to me. What happens if you hit you ball in the middle of a lake? You obviously can't go stand next to it, so how does it record where the shot went to show in the hole overview or record it as a penalty?

I found that after syncing the round to Garmin Connect, you can get to the hole view and edit the shot. You can then mark the shot OB or delete it. Of course unless you want to swim where it lands you won't be able to measure the distance :-)

Little update. Went for another 9 holes last night, saved all my stats, scorecard etc and synced this morning. Nothing, no stats, no scorecard, nothing :(

Was looking so promising as well. Think I will return it today and pick up another as I have a feeling this one is faulty possibly.

Mine was uploading last week then quit on Monday and hasn't uploaded scorecards since. I talked to Garmin today just to let them know i was having issues and she said they are aware of the situation and they're working on it.

An update just got "pushed" to my S20. Software version is 2.30 and Express is 4.1.17.0. Express now shows everything up to date with Coverage of N and S America 4.90, etc.

Started a new round of golf and then saved it. Opened Garmin Connect, and voila, a new scorecard now showed up. All data for previous rounds that I wanted to see are gone. Hopefully the golf data keeps working now.

Bah! Played another round of golf with the S20 today. Again, none of the data is available after sync. Gone.

I refused to use GameGolf because I didn't want to wear a piece on my belt and thought it would be a PITA to remember to "tap" my club. So, after multiple rounds of golf with AutoShot and stat-tracking, my conclusion is AutoShot and stat-tracking with the S20 is definitely a PITA. I'm totally pissed because, at the end of the round, I have no data to show for all this effort!! A total waste of time and a major annoyance.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Little update. Went for another 9 holes last night, saved all my stats, scorecard etc and synced this morning. Nothing, no stats, no scorecard, nothing :(

Was looking so promising as well. Think I will return it today and pick up another as I have a feeling this one is faulty possibly.

Mine was uploading last week then quit on Monday and hasn't uploaded scorecards since. I talked to Garmin today just to let them know i was having issues and she said they are aware of the situation and they're working on it.

Don't bother trying another unit. Garmin support acknowledged the issue is with their servers (or whatever cloud your data goes to upon sync). Whatever they're working on ain't working.

Edit: When I just test the S20 by starting a round (without playing golf) the sync seems to work. I enter scores, fairways, and number of putts manually for a few holes without every moving or leaving my seat. I then end the round and sync -> the scorecard shows up on Connect. Again, no stats on distances or clubs used. Just score, fairways and # of putts.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Don't bother trying another unit. Garmin support acknowledged the issue is with their servers (or whatever cloud your data goes to upon sync). Whatever they're working on ain't working.

Edit: When I just test the S20 by starting a round (without playing golf) the sync seems to work. I enter scores, fairways, and number of putts manually for a few holes without every moving or leaving my seat. I then end the round and sync -> the scorecard shows up on Connect. Again, no stats on distances or clubs used. Just score, fairways and # of putts.

Sounds like Garmin's infrastructure is a bit behind on the S20 release but their working on it. A pain but it seems like a pretty common occurrence with new golf gps, regardless of brand. I'd be patient--- I think Garmin always comes through for their customers.

I have to ask, do you guys really look back at every round and see where each shot went and how far you hit a club? Seems like you'd know your distances already and not sure why you'd want to look at every shot on the course?. Stats, yes, but to see the shots and the distance of each club on your computer screen, not sure that is something I'd need to see regularly--- but then again I'm probably missing something :)

Regardless, this one is probably going to be a Fathers Day gift I request. :)

I'm not a Garmon honk or employee, but like I said in post #92, sometimes with software when you fix one thing you unknowingly "break" something else that was working fine before. Would it be nice if everything worked as expected out of the box? Sure it would.

I think they rushed this to market without fully testing the integration of hardware and software, but what major company hasn't done something like this the past? Look at Microsoft! I understand if you wanted all features to work straight out of the box with little learning curve, as I would've liked that also. It obviously doesn't, so if you are not willing to give them time to correct it, exchange it for something else. I love the watch itself, and found the golf features to be pretty intuitive the one time I used it on the course, so will stick it out a bit longer.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

So your scorecard and stats show up, but not your distances or clubs used? Do you think that might be related to not having any actual GPS distances calculated since you were sitting in your chair the entire round? Seems like all functions are working except for the fact your GPS location never changed.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Sounds like Garmin's infrastructure is a bit behind on the S20 release but their working on it. A pain but it seems like a pretty common occurrence with new golf gps, regardless of brand. I'd be patient--- I think Garmin always comes through for their customers.

I have to ask, do you guys really look back at every round and see where each shot went and how far you hit a club? Seems like you'd know your distances already and not sure why you'd want to look at every shot on the course?. Stats, yes, but to see the shots and the distance of each club on your computer screen, not sure that is something I'd need to see regularly--- but then again I'm probably missing something :)

Regardless, this one is probably going to be a Fathers Day gift I request. :)

Don't get me wrong the watch is great as a golf gps, absolutely. However I was wanting to get the Truswing addon also but it kind of makes me wonder if this would work out of the box :)

I have just changed my irons from Ping i25 to Titleist AP2 and wanted to see my distances hit with the various clubs during the rounds I played. Obviously I can see the shots as i'm there playing them but being able to take a look at the distances later on would be beneficial.

I will give Garmin some more time.

So your scorecard and stats show up, but not your distances or clubs used? Do you think that might be related to not having any actual GPS distances calculated since you were sitting in your chair the entire round? Seems like all functions are working except for the fact your GPS location never changed.

No... after a real round of golf, sync and there is no data, no scorecard, nothing. Seems I can only get a scorecard up on Connect by staying stationary.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

No... after a real round of golf, sync and there is no data, no scorecard, nothing. Seems I can only get a scorecard up on Connect by staying stationary.

OK, misunderstood. Have you contacted them? If not I'd advise doing so, if so and they can't resolve your problem ask if they can expedite a new unit. Just out of curiosity, have you tried different courses? I'm wondering if it's a mapping issue and they don't have that course mapped yet? Just trying to think outside the box and help out, not trying to be disagreeing or argumentative.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Interesting to hear about this product and a lot of the issues. Having spoken a couple of times via email with the guys at Shot Scope I get the impression that it is very difficult for companies to integrate automatic swing sensing technology into a GPS watch currently. Supposedly a simple full swing will be easy enough to collect but the punch shot, chip, pitch and putting is very difficult. They have also mentioned battery power as being something that restricts the technology.

Still couple of questions after reading the whole thread:

How easy is the enter the club you used for the shot whilst playing?

I have read a lot about software bugs - how responsive has Garmin been in fixing these?

What do users think of the website and feedback?

Might be something I need to try!

Interesting to hear about this product and a lot of the issues. Having spoken a couple of times via email with the guys at Shot Scope I get the impression that it is very difficult for companies to integrate automatic swing sensing technology into a GPS watch currently. Supposedly a simple full swing will be easy enough to collect but the punch shot, chip, pitch and putting is very difficult. They have also mentioned battery power as being something that restricts the technology.

Still couple of questions after reading the whole thread:

In my limited experience, after a swing it asks for a club and selects one (say 8 iron from 150 yds) and you can scroll up/down to select what you actually used. Its usually within 2 clubs, so not a lot of scrolling.

I have read a lot about software bugs - how responsive has Garmin been in fixing these?

There have been some software issues, as pointed out in the many posts in this thread, but in all fairness to Garmin, there is some new technology built into this product, and it is less than a month from release. They seem to be updating software regularly to fix bugs that are discovered as they pop up. It would've been nice if it worked as advertised right out of the box, but this isn't the case, however I believe they will get it resolved eventually.

What do users think of the website and feedback?

Their website is OK, but I've been extremely satisfied with their phone support.

Might be something I need to try!

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

In my limited experience, after a swing it asks for a club and selects one (say 8 iron from 150 yds) and you can scroll up/down to select what you actually used. Its usually within 2 clubs, so not a lot of scrolling.

I am still having a hard time understanding why Garmin made such a stupid functionality. I mean if you have to select club and press OK anyway, there really is no reason to detect the shot automatically. Just record a shot when the club selection is confirmed.

I just played my second round with this. Everything worked the same on course as the first round, so no surprises there.

When I got home and synced, my scorecard was there, but club selection was all over the place on the actual hole/overhead view. Almost every drive was listed as using a 5W, which I don't even have in my list of selected gear! Also said I hit a LW from 187 on a Par 3 - I'm a WRXer, but not that long! I actually hit 4 iron and selected 4 iron from the scrolling menu, so it seems in my case their latest software update screwed something up with the syncing of clubs selected on the device to Connect. Last time it worked flawlessly. I also still had Pars listed from Red tees with no option to select another set, which affects par on a few holes on the course I played, although I wasn't expecting that issue to be fixed yet.

Battery life is still excellent, started at 89% and played 18 in 4:15 with everything turned on, including notifications, and had 65% battery when finished, so used 24%. Should be able to easily get 3 rounds of 18 plus normal watch mode on a full charge. Device works great as GPS, again dead on with yardages from sprinkler heads and buddy's laser. There was one hole today were I know it was "off" by a good 15-20 yds, but another buddy with a Garmin S2 walked over and got the same reading I had - must be a mapping issue on that particular hole?

Still loving the watch part, but they apparently still have a ways on catching up on the software.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

So, I went out and did 18 holes today and I turned off the activity tracking and it has actually synced my full round including club selections! Not sure if this is just coincidence as it does seem a little hit and miss as to whether this thing syncs scorecards etc. As Halliedog says above, great GPS, but I still need to be won over with regards to the rest of the functions.

So, I went out and did 18 holes today and I turned off the activity tracking and it has actually synced my full round including club selections! Not sure if this is just coincidence as it does seem a little hit and miss as to whether this thing syncs scorecards etc. As Halliedog says above, great GPS, but I still need to be won over with regards to the rest of the functions.

Good to hear djayyy. I had activity tracking turned on both rounds. As I said, everything was pretty good first round, today club tracking was all over the place upon syncing. Until they get this figured out, I won't be rushing out to purchase a True Swing add-on for fear that may have bugs also.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Well, first an update on the lock up issue I initially reported on - Garmin sent me out a replacement and all if fine on that issue.

I have had a chance to play a round with the tracking turned on. I too, as I have seen others report that some swings are missing. For me it was the driver swings. I have reported this to Garmin and am awaiting a response.

A issue that just occurred yesterday, and seems similar to other posts I read, I only played through 11 holes due to time running out. I am sure I saved my round, but when I went to upload it wasn't there. I am not sure if it has to do with recording less than 18 holes.

But in general I am pleased with the base functions of the watch. Like Halliedog said, it is brand new and going through some glitches that occur after a new product release.