Masters Alternative Course

With the Masters coming up shortly, I'm interested to know what your opinion is on this.

Which course would be best to host the Masters if it weren't at Augusta National?

*****TOPIC EDIT******

It seems like many of you feel strongly about the tie between Augusta National and the Masters. Fair enough.

Let's modify the topic and suggest candidate courses for a hypothetical major tournament held around the same time of the year as the Masters.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peachtree.

From a golf course standpoint, this is a very good answer. Outside the ropes would be a different story, but inside it would be a very similar test.

I believe that they just wouldn't host the tournament if it isn't able to be held at the Nat. But... Peachtree is really the only other option if they had to have a tournament. I'd love to see the tees that they would add in preparation.

Agree, this is beyond silly, almost humerous. Yes, the Masters IS Augusta, anything else is not the Masters. You can not seperate history and the venue, they define the event.

I can think of tons of courses that are worthy of championship golf, but no venue is worthy of the Masters. If Augusta should cease to exist, so should the Masters.

I'm not so sure it is a silly question. Being from Atlanta, and being in the golf industry I have always heard whispers that the Masters folks have a contingency plan if something catastrophic were ever to occur at the National, and that plan included Peachtree.

Most people outside of the area don't know anything about Peachtree (and that's the way the members want it), but it is absolutely comparable to Augusta, lacking only the length and infrastructure.

I'm not so sure it is a silly question. Being from Atlanta, and being in the golf industry I have always heard whispers that the Masters folks have a contingency plan if something catastrophic were ever to occur at the National, and that plan included Peachtree.

Most people outside of the area don't know anything about Peachtree (and that's the way the members want it), but it is absolutely comparable to Augusta, lacking only the length and infrastructure.

The question is beyond silly. The event is defined by the venue. Period!

If someting ever happened that was catastrophic, the event would be put on hold. If the course was damaged, it would be restored to its former grace, we are talking deep pockets.

Masters=Augusta.

It's a legitimate question, and thanks to those that answered peach tree.

It's a hypothetical question for which venue would embody what the Masters does. Let's say Augusta disappeared or never existed. Call it something else and not the Masters if you like, but what course would embody that spirit? It's the only major held at a single venue so you could think of it that way even, but obviously capturing somewhat a similar beauty and essence that Augusta does is the basis of the question.

So at what venue would this special major be at? Peach tree is the only suggestion so far.

It's a legitimate question, and thanks to those that answered peach tree.

It's a hypothetical question for which venue would embody what the Masters does. Let's say Augusta disappeared or never existed. Call it something else and not the Masters if you like, but what course would embody that spirit? It's the only major held at a single venue so you could think of it that way even, but obviously capturing somewhat a similar beauty and essence that Augusta does is the basis of the question.

So at what venue would this special major be at? Peach tree is the only suggestion so far.

Are you all comedians are something, because this is beyond funny. NO COURSE EMBODIES THAT SPIRIT, WHAT IS SO HARD TO COMPREHEND?????. You cannot replace that history, the countless memorable finshes, the jacket ceremony in the cabin. the atmosphere of Augusta and the Masters. You could go to a new venue, call it a new name, it would not be the Masters and it could never embody that spirit, it would be starting from ground zero.

I have a love/hate for ANGC. I hate its exclusivity and pompousness but I love that the best players in the world every year play what is probably the most studied golf property on the planet over the years.

I could however see places like Pebble Beach, Riviera, Baltusrol, Pine Valley, Winged Foot, Oakmont or another storied place taking up the spot if for some reason ANGC ceased to exist tomorrow. Somewhere greats of the game can be measured up to todays stars.

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Graphite Design TourAD GP 6 TX
TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZX7 5i w/ Nippon Modus GOST TX

Srixon ZX7 6-AW w/ Nippon Modus 125S hardstepped +1/2"
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter and Rosemark Thorn 1.25 grip

I have a love/hate for ANGC. I hate its exclusivity and pompousness but I love that the best players in the world every year play what is probably the most studied golf property on the planet over the years.

I could however see places like Pebble Beach, Riviera, Baltusrol, Pine Valley, Winged Foot, Oakmont or another storied place taking up the spot if for some reason ANGC ceased to exist tomorrow. Somewhere greats of the game can be measured up to todays stars.

Why hate the exclusivity of it? The exclusivity of it is one of the things that makes Augusta what it is. Knowing that you are NEVER going to be able to play there, but yet you can imagine yourself hitting every shot there. I hate when people complain about the exclusivity of places, they exclude everyone,not just you. There is nothing in the world that compares to Augusta National. Nothing even close.

If you have even a elementary understanding of the history of the tournament you understand this is an absurd question. The Masters IS Augusta National.

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-P
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Everybody is missing the point of the question because they are fixated on the Masters and Augusta. It's obvious the two are one and the same, but what the Masters represents as a major is the point of the question.

"Replacing" any of the other three majors doesnt really ask much because they rotate venues and dont exactly have much defining characteristics.

The whole point of the OP's question is about the major that is so clearly defined in its own character... what other course could do that if Augusta ceased to exist or never did? NOT as the "Masters" but instead replacing "that" major.

Come on guys, it's a totally legitimate question that should generate a lot of discussion!

Everybody is missing the point of the question because they are fixated on the Masters and Augusta. It's obvious the two are one and the same, but what the Masters represents as a major is the point of the question.

"Replacing" any of the other three majors doesnt really ask much because they rotate venues and dont exactly have much defining characteristics.

The whole point of the OP's question is about the major that is so clearly defined in its own character... what other course could do that if Augusta ceased to exist or never did? NOT as the "Masters" but instead replacing "that" major.

Come on guys, it's a totally legitimate question that should generate a lot of discussion!

I understand the question and it isn't a bad thought. I think all we are trying to say is that there is no other course in the world that can give you what Augusta gives you. No other course could give you what Augusta gives you, no other course has the aura and mystique around it like Augusta. Others have mentioned Peachtree, I myself mentioned Pine Valley, but I think we are comparing the Holy Grail to expensive gold cups. Yeah the cups may look similar, but they don't have the significance and meaning that the Holy Grail has. I know you said to act like Augusta never existed, but IMO if Augusta never existed we wouldn't have a Masters or any tournament that stays at one venue every year. We would simply have 4 alternating majors.