I played a round at Pyongyang Golf Course in North Korea. Here's a write-up of my experience!

elliottd

Hi everyone, I'm new here and had originally posted this over at /r/golf on Reddit, it's garnered some interest so some kind readers directed me here as you might find it interesting too.

Write-up Link: http://www.earthnuts...ng-golf-course/

Basically, I visited North Korea a while ago for 16 days. I'm an avid, social golf player and I couldn't help myself from trying to organise a round on North Korea's only golf course just outside the capital of Pyongyang. It's the one made famous thanks to Kim Jong-Il's miracle (mythical) score. Permission was granted, it ended up being a day I wouldn't forget -- I had a blast introducing golf for the first time to my minders and the experience was full of North Korean oddities I cover in the write-up.

Further information on my visit to North Korea for those interested:

100 Photos Inside North Korea: http://www.earthnuts...th-korea-part1/

Reddit IAMA: https://www.reddit.c..._toured_for_16/

Reddit /r/golf post on this topic: https://www.reddit.c...golf_course_in/

Enjoy, and if you have any further questions about the golf (or otherwise) I'd be happy to answer them for you here. :golfer:

• Like 1

That's amazing. Thanks for posting, as i'd never have found it otherwise.

North Korea is such a welcoming place. :russian_roulette:

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

One of the lowest rounds of golf ever was played on that course by the North Korean Leader.

After picking up a golf club that day for the very first time in his life, the Dear Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea fired a 38-under-par round of 34 at Pyongyang. According to the 17 security guards who observed the performance, the score included an amazing 11 aces. Naturally, the event was dutifully reported to the North Korean masses by the state news agency.

One of the lowest rounds of golf ever was played on that course by the North Korean Leader.

After picking up a golf club that day for the very first time in his life, the Dear Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of North Korea fired a 38-under-par round of 34 at Pyongyang. According to the 17 security guards who observed the performance, the score included an amazing 11 aces. Naturally, the event was dutifully reported to the North Korean masses by the state news agency.

So he was pretty much the ultimate wrxer

great read!!! you write very well. It's always good to know in my travels around the world that us humans are capable of living a much less interesting life...just in case the West fails.

Cobra LTDx LS  Peacoat /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/Graffaloy Blue
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Bridgestone J15 CB 4 -pw/DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

First, welcome to the board Elliott!!

Superb write-up Bro :)

It's appropriate that you share this Incredible experience on THE Largest and Finest Golf Forum on Planet Earth!!

This is an amazing story~

If I missed it, apologies, though who was the course designer?

Thanks for sharing and Please, don't be a stranger :)

This is easily one of the Top-10 most interesting stories of the year and it's only February, however Please drop in and just post with us when time permits!!

Stay Well, Safe Travels and God Speed :)

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups 4ever My Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Best thing I ever read on GolfWRX (sort of).

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Am i wrong or does Ri have a bit of a thing going on? I mean you must've flirted with her a bit right?

Tour Edge E722 10.5 w/Tensei Raw AV White 75

Tour Edge E722 15 w/Tensei RAW AV White 75

Sub70 659CB 3-AW RAW w/KBS Tour

Sub70 JB wedges 54/60 RAW w/KBS tour

Deschamps Crisp Antique

Wow! Very enjoyable read. Really makes one thankful for the quality of life we enjoy here in states. I have no interest in playing golf in such places but good for you to accept what I would call a mission.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

Hi everyone, I'm new here and had originally posted this over at /r/golf on Reddit, it's garnered some interest so some kind readers directed me here as you might find it interesting too.

Write-up Link: http://www.earthnuts...ng-golf-course/

Basically, I visited North Korea a while ago for 16 days. I'm an avid, social golf player and I couldn't help myself from trying to organise a round on North Korea's only golf course just outside the capital of Pyongyang. It's the one made famous thanks to Kim Jong-Il's miracle (mythical) score.

Some wonderful stuff to read.

Hmmmm...are you sure the lady that you played golf with is Korean?....she was not wearing knee highs. :taunt:

Thanks for sharing.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Am i wrong or does Ri have a bit of a thing going on? I mean you must've flirted with her a bit right?

You know what they say, "what happens in North Korea stays in North Korea. We have barbed wire!"

Inquiring minds want to know though OP!

PS, in all seriousness, great write up! Fascinating to read

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Thanks for all your kind comments, I read them all and it's appreciated. I'm pleased you enjoyed the write-up, your feedback really provides motivation to share more content like this. The golf community is bigger than I thought! :tongue:

The thing I'm most shocked about was he found a left handed rental set in Pyongyang. Most courses here don't even bother with them.

I was flabbergasted really, even though I was assured otherwise. I've found it to be similar here on occasion and if they do have leftie rental sets, you can count on it being a very old set that's seen better days. I was still planning to walk the course and take some snaps for you guys if I was unlucky, but instead it all worked out perfectly.

If I missed it, apologies, though who was the course designer?

Thanks for sharing and Please, don't be a stranger :)

Thanks Richard, I appreciate it! You'll certainly see me around, I have some interesting golfing escapades on the cards later this year, notably a round on Iran's only course in the capital of Tehran. I'll be sure to share it here.

As for the course designer, I'm unsure, what I do know however is that it was built to a Japanese design by a Japanese company in 1987. For a country most critical of the Japanese and the United States, they certainly borrowed heavily in facilitating this golf course!

Most I've read in years ... Thanks.

Haha, that's a good indication, it's pretty damn long I know. I just couldn't justify condensing it and leaving out some of the story. North Korea tends to make each day in it's entirety an adventure :tongue:

Very interesting, thanks for posting! Did the caddie hit any balls?

Other than practice swings, she hit a few half-shots, more like pitches, with me just to demonstrate to the guides. She never took any full-fledged swings down the fairway due to I suspect professionality reasons, but she certainly knew her stuff, she had a nice swing.

Hahah, she is beautiful, that's for sure. We had a great time together and got a long very well. :happy: There you go, there's my politically correct statement :haha:. I found that all of the female guides assigned to foreigners in the DPRK are quite young and noticeably pretty, I don't think it's a coincidence either.

Wow! Very enjoyable read. Really makes one thankful for the quality of life we enjoy here in states. I have no interest in playing golf in such places but good for you to accept what I would call a mission.

Thanks mate! Glad to give you an insight into a course you may not have had otherwise :)

More exclusive than Augusta! Well written and thanks for sharing your experience. :-)

Thank you and my pleasure :)! I suspect my Augusta experience might begin and end in visiting the Masters if I'm lucky enough in the future, and that'd be absolutely fulfilling!

• 3 weeks later...

What an adventure. Thanks for sharing!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw ...or...  PING ISI Nickel 1-L orangey dot G Loomis reg flex (they run stiff she said)
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S/58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21