2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How smart is the GolfWRX Community?

r7425

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26...hungover...in 1972 when 26 was a real score.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

jared

That is true to an extent.

At the same time though, you either know what a synonym is or you dont. You know how to calculate volumes and figure out what the missing angle in a shape is or you dont.

And you just brilliantly proved my point. In everyday life how often do you use those? Honestly half of America probably doesnt even know what a synonym is. And I even as a medical sales person could not tell you how to calculate volumes etc.

My point is I am more impressed by someones score on the LSAT MCAT or GMAT then I will ever be by their GPA or their SAT or ACT scores. Those tests are actually testing something that they have studied and are interested in whereas the ACT and SAT test a variety of more or less useless subjects.

Just my two cents don't spend it all in one place.

34 ACT/1520 SAT(back when it was only out of 1600, doesn't that make me sound old but it was only ten years ago). I was repeatedly accused of cheating. I slept my way all through HS and got mediocre to average grades because of it. Found out in college that I was a Stage 2 narcoleptic. That explained a lot.

I'm going to attempt to over simplify the process AS I KNOW IT TO BE.

And I'll be the first person to tell you that it is not the best measure for intelligence, but a very good measure for college acceptance. One high schools A+ student isn't another high schools A+ student so it is necessary to have a standardized test to compare students from different schools and regions. The number you score isn't as important as where you rank against others. That is why they give you your percentile. The point is to attempt to measure how well of an academic foundation you have so that you won't be overwhelmed day one in college.

Like any test though there are loop holes. I learned what I needed to know to do well on the test. ACT takes off fractions of a point for wrong and unanswered questions so your better off just filling in the bubbles if you don't know the answer. SAT allows you to leave a certain number of questions blank per section before they start counting off so your better off leaving bubbles blank then guessing. I like to think my true intelligence lies not in what I know but that I never walk into a situation unprepared.

The way it has been explained to me colleges have a ratio of ACT/SAT test scores to GPA that is to a large degree how you are judged.

1. If your test scores are significantly lower than your GPA shows it should then it proves to them that either your schools grading system is inflated or you don't do well under pressure. Neither of which are a good sign.

2. If your scores are significantly higher than your GPA(which was my case) than it proves you are either a slacker or you studied. In which case they review other parts of your transcript to get a better feel for who you are. I fell into the slacker category.

College want to see test scores comparable to your GPA which allows them to get a better understanding of a person they will probably never meet. The whole system is ridiculous in my mind but that didn't stop me from abusing it and it shouldn't stop you.

jlww3

jared-

I get what your saying but everyone knows you have to learn to add and subtract before you learn to multiply and divide. That's what the ACT/SAT's are doing. Making sure you can do some simple trig or calc before they try to teach you to be an engineer.

Obviously. I never said it wasn't a good measure of standardizing intellect for college acceptance. To your point earlier you have to have something to justify GPA's in many cases. I had a friend who was our valedictorian and only scored 1100 on the SAT. However, now he is in law school. I just think to state that it measures overall aptitude is rather naive. Furthermore it fails to include other subjects such as history and science which for many people become much more useful in life. Math if you ask me is the most overrated subject in the history of organized education. On a daily basis people use simple math and that's it. And lets face it most of the time they are using calculators.

jared

That is true to an extent.

At the same time though, you either know what a synonym is or you dont. You know how to calculate volumes and figure out what the missing angle in a shape is or you dont.

And you just brilliantly proved my point. In everyday life how often do you use those? Honestly half of America probably doesnt even know what a synonym is. And I even as a medical sales person could not tell you how to calculate volumes etc.

My point is I am more impressed by someones score on the LSAT MCAT or GMAT then I will ever be by their GPA or their SAT or ACT scores. Those tests are actually testing something that they have studied and are interested in whereas the ACT and SAT test a variety of more or less useless subjects.

Just my two cents don't spend it all in one place.

I took the ACT three times and the GMAT once. The reason I took the ACT three times is because the first two times I fell 1 or 2 points short of getting the score I needed to get an academic scholarship that paid four years tuition. The third time I got the score I needed, a 30. That was back in 1987-1988.

I took the GMAT in 1992 and scored a 670 or 680. I don't recall the exact score as it was enough to earn admission to the school I chose.

Just last week I took the Wonderlic Personnel Test (WPT) and scored a 31. You get 12 minutes to answer 50 questions. According to Wikepedia, the average score for a chemist is 31, so I'm in good company. My score is almost twice as good as the average score of an NFL running back, so I've got that going for me. :partytime2:

Anyway, I took all of these tests (and many others) without a single prep course. Could I have scored better by attending a class to "learn how to take the test"? Sure, but for me it was about testing my knowledge and skill without using someone else's test taking system.

Most of what I learned in 6 years of undergrad and grad school is not used in my job today. I'd venture to say that most of what we all learn in school is not used in everyday life. But school provides a forum where you can test yourself to learn new things and expand your thinking.

In my opinion curriculum these days is completely outdated. Instead of having a physics class or an anatomy class how about a class called real world finance? All about credit card debt, student loans, mortgages, mutual funds stocks etc. Things that will impact each and EVERY student? The amount of time wasted on things we never use is amazing.

In my opinion curriculum these days is completely outdated. Instead of having a physics class or an anatomy class how about a class called real world finance? All about credit card debt, student loans, mortgages, mutual funds stocks etc. Things that will impact each and EVERY student? The amount of time wasted on things we never use is amazing.

Credit Card Debt - don't do it

Student loans - pay them off or better yet get a job and don't get one in the first place

Mortgages - 30 year fixed - prefereably a 20 or 15 year fixed - don't get an ARM

Stocks - Invest in mutual funds - fully fund a 401k and IRA - only invest in individual stocks after you've done that and only use money you can afford to lose

That's my version of financial success for dummies. Back to the original point, ACT/SAT/GRE/GMAT scores don't mean squat and the sooner you learn that the better off you'll be in life.

Graduate school should be somewhat directly related to your chosen field. I use quite a few techniques that I learned in B-school every day at my job. However, an undergrad education isn't the same. It's not about learning a bunch of skills that are directly transferrable to the real world. It's about expanding your base of knowledge and learning how to learn. Knowing physics, biology, psychology, mathematics etc all help you become a more well rounded person in the long run.

Took it hung over, stayed out till 0400 :partytime2: . Puked every bathroom break, action the first couple times dry heaves the rest. Got a 23 with a 14 on the math portion.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Credit Card Debt - don't do it

Student loans - pay them off or better yet get a job and don't get one in the first place

Mortgages - 30 year fixed - prefereably a 20 or 15 year fixed - don't get an ARM

Stocks - Invest in mutual funds - fully fund a 401k and IRA - only invest in individual stocks after you've done that and only use money you can afford to lose

That's my version of financial success for dummies. Back to the original point, ACT/SAT/GRE/GMAT scores don't mean squat and the sooner you learn that the better off you'll be in life.

Graduate school should be somewhat directly related to your chosen field. I use quite a few techniques that I learned in B-school every day at my job. However, an undergrad education isn't the same. It's not about learning a bunch of skills that are directly transferrable to the real world. It's about expanding your base of knowledge and learning how to learn. Knowing physics, biology, psychology, mathematics etc all help you become a more well rounded person in the long run.

And there you go. You guys love proving my points. An average kid thinks a 401k is a football option pass and unfortunately his or her parents probably do to. You would be SHOCKED that your little synopsis would be Japanese to most. Unfortunately no credit card debt isn't an option for a lot of people especially in California where I live. Neither is avoiding student loans. And no one can do a 30 year fixed loan in this real estate market. Thus the need for a class stating the options.

This is such crap. I got a 34 because I didn't knoew some of the math section. I take Calculus III and haven't done that kind of math in like 5-6 years. I'm a junior by the way. Same thing with the SAT 1530 (800 verbal & 730 math).

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

back what seems to be an eternity ago i nabbed a 1550 out of 1600 on the SAT. I had several nice scholarships offered to me but I stayed home and went to school at my local small University in Columbus GA because of a girl I had been dating that I just knew I was going to be my wife one day.............. and she wasn't of course! I ended up dropping out and going back to school when I was 21 and met my wife there so I guess things happen for a reason. For awhile I regretted not going to GA Tech but got over it. BTW, I think the Standardized Tests are kinda over rated in determining intelligence, just proves someone can take a test well IMO.

CP

Jared,

Mind if I ask what you made on the ACT or SAT and what you do for a living? I'm just curious since you have some good points, and I'm wondering if you might be one of the lucky ones who has been very successful without a college education. I could be completely wrong, and apologize if I am.

Wrong you are. 1210 on my SAT and I work in the medical sales industry. Undergrad from California Polytechnic San Luis Obispo school of business. One of the top business programs in California without golf I would have never gotten in.

And there you go. You guys love proving my points. An average kid thinks a 401k is a football option pass and unfortunately his or her parents probably do to. You would be SHOCKED that your little synopsis would be Japanese to most. Unfortunately no credit card debt isn't an option for a lot of people especially in California where I live. Neither is avoiding student loans. And no one can do a 30 year fixed loan in this real estate market. Thus the need for a class stating the options.

Why would I be shocked? I'm probably younger than you. I didn't prove any points, btw, I just gave my opinion on what results in financial success over the long run.

No credit card debt is ALWAYS an option - it's called living within your means. Avoiding student loans is also very possible. You don't have to go to a 30k per year private school. Go to community college for 2 years if you have to. You don't have to finish in 4 years. And if you can't do a 30 year fixed mortgage, then you're buying too much house. If you can't afford something, then you can't afford it. It's really pretty simple. If you don't like it, move somewhere else. Running up credit card debt or getting an interest only mortgage is stupid and never necessary, IMO.