2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How smart is the GolfWRX Community?

r7425

And there you go. You guys love proving my points. An average kid thinks a 401k is a football option pass and unfortunately his or her parents probably do to. You would be SHOCKED that your little synopsis would be Japanese to most. Unfortunately no credit card debt isn't an option for a lot of people especially in California where I live. Neither is avoiding student loans. And no one can do a 30 year fixed loan in this real estate market. Thus the need for a class stating the options.

Why would I be shocked? I'm probably younger than you. I didn't prove any points, btw, I just gave my opinion on what results in financial success over the long run.

No credit card debt is ALWAYS an option - it's called living within your means. Avoiding student loans is also very possible. You don't have to go to a 30k per year private school. Go to community college for 2 years if you have to. You don't have to finish in 4 years. And if you can't do a 30 year fixed mortgage, then you're buying too much house. If you can't afford something, then you can't afford it. It's really pretty simple. If you don't like it, move somewhere else. Running up credit card debt or getting an interest only mortgage is stupid and never necessary, IMO.

Spoken like a true trust funder. No credit card debt is not always an option. The world does not operate in a vacuum. Getting an interest only mortgage is stupid? I know about 15 millionares that would disagree. It is a great vehichle for aquiring property without tying up liquidity. If what you were saying was true the real estate market in California which you obviously know notihng about would never have gotten as inflated as it has. Why go to a community college when you get accepted to a 4 year university that you want to go to?

Where do you live? Out of curiosity. I would like to hear how a single mom or a family of 4 where the breadwinner gets hurt at work is not supposed to rack up some credit card debt? This is not a utopian society my friend get a taste of reality.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoken like a true trust funder. No credit card debt is not always an option. The world does not operate in a vacuum. Getting an interest only mortgage is stupid? I know about 15 millionares that would disagree. It is a great vehichle for aquiring property without tying up liquidity. If what you were saying was true the real estate market in California which you obviously know notihng about would never have gotten as inflated as it has. Why go to a community college when you get accepted to a 4 year university that you want to go to?

Where do you live? Out of curiosity. I would like to hear how a single mom or a family of 4 where the breadwinner gets hurt at work is not supposed to rack up some credit card debt? This is not a utopian society my friend get a taste of reality.

LOL, I am definitely not a trust-funder. As it says under my picture, I live in Raleigh, NC. Interest only mortages are a very, very good way to go bankrupt. Does it work out well for some people? Sure. But when interest rates are rising and the real estate bubble is bursting, then they're a recipe for forclosures and bankruptcy. I really like that "acquiring property without tying up liquidity" line - you've been listening to too many no down payment real estate informercials.

Why go to a community college? Well if that's what you can afford, then it's what you can afford. I was lucky enough to be able to attend a state university for 4 years and then go on to a masters, but my father had to go to community college and work for a couple of years before he could then transfer to a regular university. He was a dirt poor farm kid and that's what he had to do to get an education.

And get real, I'm not talking about some type of emergency situation that requires somebody to run up debt temporarily just to make ends meet. I'm talking about running up credit card debt because you need to have a $35k new car (that you had to finance and are upside down on), the latest clothes, the latest golf equipment, etc. I guess you proved your own point. They really should have some basic finance classes at school.

I recommend this website to read up on how not be broke when it's time to retire in 30-40 years. Dave Ramsey's Website

And as far as getting a taste of reality, I've gotten more than my fair share. Get back to me when you've spent time in the slums of Manila, with raw sewage in the streets that floods into people's homes (8x10 ft rooms shared by 4 or more family members) every time it rains and 60% of the population lives on less than $1 per day. Or Beijing or Shanghai, where people are living in condemned buildings with no power/water/sewage etc. Or Mumbai or Kuala Lampur or ...

Im not going to get in a pissing match with you about who has seen what. Frankly I could care less. My point here is that you make things out to be a lot simpler than they are. Most people that rack up credit card debt are not out buying 35k cars bud. Student loans are actually probably the best debt you can aquire.

Out here in Southern California where the average home is around 550,000 dollars you have no choice but an interest only loan.

In closing I bought my first two homes with interest only loans and got my third with a fixed. I like my view what do you think?

Jared

Math if you ask me is the most overrated subject in the history of organized education.

In my opinion curriculum these days is completely outdated. Instead of having a physics class or an anatomy class how about a class called real world finance?

Depending on ones outlook, that is either an extremely sound or frighteningly ignorant viewpoint.

If you view life as simply getting by in this world, making ends meet, fitting in with the status quo, do what you are told, then yes, making the pre-college educational system revolve around "useful" subjects like real world finance rather than advanced algebra and calculus is a good idea.

If you see that you are but a little speck of a speck in an unfathomably large and complicated universe, simply learning how to manage your budget seems a bit arbitrary. Sparking a childs interest in figuring out what and where we are in the grand scheme of things doesnt happen by guiding them through an Excel spreadsheet.

Come on man, even if you arent interested in the latter point of view, you cannot deny that math, along with its applications in physics and chemistry are why we know what we know about who we are, where we are, and what we are. Not to mention the things we are now able to create.

Calling it the most overrated subject ever just sounds like hating by someone that couldnt figure it out...

Jared

Math if you ask me is the most overrated subject in the history of organized education.

In my opinion curriculum these days is completely outdated. Instead of having a physics class or an anatomy class how about a class called real world finance?

Depending on ones outlook, that is either an extremely sound or frighteningly ignorant viewpoint.

If you view life as simply getting by in this world, making ends meet, fitting in with the status quo, do what you are told, then yes, making the pre-college educational system revolve around "useful" subjects like real world finance rather than advanced algebra and calculus is a good idea.

If you see that you are but a little speck of a speck in an unfathomably large and complicated universe, simply learning how to manage your budget seems a bit arbitrary. Sparking a childs interest in figuring out what and where we are in the grand scheme of things doesnt happen by guiding them through an Excel spreadsheet.

Come on man, even if you arent interested in the latter point of view, you cannot deny that math, along with its applications in physics and chemistry are why we know what we know about who we are, where we are, and what we are. Not to mention the things we are now able to create.

Calling it the most overrated subject ever just sounds like hating by someone that couldnt figure it out...

I figured it out pal, I sell spinal stimulator procedures to physicians, think that doesn't take a brain? What do you do for a living? My point which you completely missed was not to totally disregard those subjects that would be silly. However I think to implement a little real world application in todays curriculum would be worth its weight in gold to a lot of young adults. Let me ask you this question: how many high school graduates are confronted with credit card debt versus defining what a proton is? The graduation rate for students is just over 70 percent for high school and less than 50 percent for college. So three in ten kids don't even graduate high school and of the 7 that do around 3 go on to graduate from college. Why not give ALL kids the benifit of one class directed to benefiting almost all of them and most definitely benefiting the ones that do not continue forward? It is to supplement an education not to replace it.

Math proves relevant to a select few professions most of which is learned during college major focused classes. I personally do not know a single person who uses calculus on a daily basis. Chances are less than 5 percent of the working world does. What percentage have credit cards? Understand compounding interest? Understand mortgages? Investments? Vesting schedules? Stock Options?

Trust me figuring out all those things above is what got me to where I am at today. Not figuring out a2+b2=c2.

I see a lot of good points on both sides. I have always said high school needs a real world class. Something that would cover finances, contracts, how to change a spare tire, basics to cooking, laundry, sewing, health, retirement, and other useful skills that would be used by more then 99% of the people. I graduated from high school in 2002 out here in California and I had to take Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2 just to graduate. I don't see how all of this is useful for the majority of people today. I'm a Mechanical Engineer major in school now, so I really see how math can help me. I understand that math leads people to think logically and learn how to problem solve. But why not try teaching a little math and some real world finances. Maybe instead of my second high school Algebra class they could have taught a class called "Real World Finances". I think I would have been much better off. The first few years out of high school was a little tough when I was bought my first truck and got my first credit card and looking into financing and interests rates. I had to ask my parents to help me understand. luckily my mom has a BA in accounting and is very educated in the area so I could get advice easily. But what about the parents who aren't educated? Where are there kids going to learn this information? Most kids seem to follow in there parents footsteps. All my friends who have parents that are in debt seem to have kids that are in debt and my friends that are financially stable have parents that are stable too.

I just get frustrated when I hear the school officials in my area talk about how our high schools are lacking in teaching the students what they need to get into a good college. That's all they talk about, yet, only 60% of the students from my high school go onto college and about 10% will ever get a college degree. So why is there a big push at our schools to prepare them for college if so few go? How about offer some other options for the people that don't go on. Stuff that can help them in real life. The only good program we had was an auto program with the Toyota dealer where it supplied jobs and funding for school. After they graduate high school, they just need to take a few college classes and pass there Toyota stuff and they're hired on as a full time mechanic making $35,000 to $55,000 a year which is good for where I live.

Just my 2 cents on the matter...

I see a lot of good points on both sides. I have always said high school needs a real world class. Something that would cover finances, contracts, how to change a spare tire, basics to cooking, laundry, sewing, health, retirement, and other useful skills that would be used by more then 99% of the people. I graduated from high school in 2002 out here in California and I had to take Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2 just to graduate. I don't see how all of this is useful for the majority of people today. I'm a Mechanical Engineer major in school now, so I really see how math can help me. I understand that math leads people to think logically and learn how to problem solve. But why not try teaching a little math and some real world finances. Maybe instead of my second high school Algebra class they could have taught a class called "Real World Finances". I think I would have been much better off. The first few years out of high school was a little tough when I was bought my first truck and got my first credit card and looking into financing and interests rates. I had to ask my parents to help me understand. luckily my mom has a BA in accounting and is very educated in the area so I could get advice easily. But what about the parents who aren't educated? Where are there kids going to learn this information? Most kids seem to follow in there parents footsteps. All my friends who have parents that are in debt seem to have kids that are in debt and my friends that are financially stable have parents that are stable too.

I just get frustrated when I hear the school officials in my area talk about how our high schools are lacking in teaching the students what they need to get into a good college. That's all they talk about, yet, only 60% of the students from my high school go onto college and about 10% will ever get a college degree. So why is there a big push at our schools to prepare them for college if so few go? How about offer some other options for the people that don't go on. Stuff that can help them in real life. The only good program we had was an auto program with the Toyota dealer where it supplied jobs and funding for school. After they graduate high school, they just need to take a few college classes and pass there Toyota stuff and they're hired on as a full time mechanic making $35,000 to $55,000 a year which is good for where I live.

Just my 2 cents on the matter...

Solid post.

Ok, Im not trying to get in a pissing contest.

That being said, I will address your points.

I figured it out pal, I sell spinal stimulator procedures to physicians, think that doesn't take a brain? What do you do for a living?

Dude, easy there. I never attacked your intelligence.

I develop internal websites for the army (Im not tooting my horn as it sounds alot fancier than it is, it does allow me to surf golfwrx all day at work though). I majored in computer science and got a math minor so I could graduate without taking some of the higher level CSci classes (semi-long story, but basically I was being a slacker :partytime2: ).

One class i had to take for the math minor was a senior level class called advanced calculus. It was unlike any calculus i had taken before(integrals and differentials) and was tedious to say the least. The entire thing was logic and proofs. The first homework assignment we had was...

1) prove that 0 exists

2) prove that 1 exists

3) once you prove those, you can prove that every number exists (since 1 exists, 1+1 exsists hence 1+1+1 exists, etc.)

Now, that really cant be used anywhere and I obviously don't remember the proofs cause they were each about half a page of logic equations. However, the process of learning the equations, how to use the equations and actually using them to prove these things was a valuable exercise in problem solving/thinking of something in a way you never did before.

My point which you completely missed was not to totally disregard those subjects

I dont believe I missed your point. You said that math was the most overrated subject there is.

You also said that the current curriculum is outdated and that kids should have a finance class instead of physics or anatomy. If you meant in addition to then yes, I missed your point, but not as you wrote it.

In fact, I agree that classes on personal finance, home-buying, stocks, how to run for political office would be a good addition to high school curriculums. Students should have the option to take those sorts of things. Replacing physics and biology for them is incredibly short sighted thinking, but you clarified your argument so no beef there.

Math proves relevant to a select few professions most of which is learned during college major focused classes. I personally do not know a single person who uses calculus on a daily basis. Chances are less than 5 percent of the working world does. What percentage have credit cards? Understand compounding interest? Understand mortgages? Investments? Vesting schedules? Stock Options?

Trust me figuring out all those things above is what got me to where I am at today.

I dont know anyone that uses calculus daily either. Does that mean it is a waste of time? I dunno.

How do you figure out the volume/area of a non-uniform (not square or cylindrical) object? Calculus, specifically integral equations. Is that information relevant in an everyday setting? Probably not, but I found it interesting that that is how it is done.

Mortgages, investments, stock options...

Is that why you got into medical technology(hmmm, maybe, the money is probably pretty good, thats why i make websites for a living, hehe)? Is that why you love to golf? Would learning about those things that have fulfilled your curiosity as a youth?

I would much rather my child wonder what the speed of light is and what its implications are than why a 1 year ARM is generally a bad idea.

No smog in San Diego, just beaches, hot girls, thriving economy, golf year around, 80 degrees everyday with low humidity, no snow, very little rain and hot girls (did I say that twice?)

I'm sure you have all of that in NC right.....

I love San Diego too, but in defense of North Carolina, actually we do have all of that here, and more.

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

We live in a technology driven society. Math is more important today than it has ever been. I will go to work/school tomorrow and literally be around 100s of people who are using calculus on a nearly daily basis. I have no problem with a class teaching every day items that most people will run into including finances; however, we can not continue to leave those students who want to pursue scientific fields so ill prepared to compete in the technology market. In my graduate theoretical and applied mechanics course last year, I got my butt kicked by the foreign students in my class. They had learned the information (tensor calculus) I was seeing for the first time in high school. Lets prepare the students with a desire for advanced mathematics to pursue it and those who do not to pursue curriculum that more directly benefits them. I guess all I am saying is that teaching students every day life skills and teaching students mathematics are far from mutually exclusive.

Ok, Im not trying to get in a pissing contest.

That being said, I will address your points.

I figured it out pal, I sell spinal stimulator procedures to physicians, think that doesn't take a brain? What do you do for a living?

Dude, easy there. I never attacked your intelligence.

I develop internal websites for the army (Im not tooting my horn as it sounds alot fancier than it is, it does allow me to surf golfwrx all day at work though). I majored in computer science and got a math minor so I could graduate without taking some of the higher level CSci classes (semi-long story, but basically I was being a slacker :partytime2: ).

One class i had to take for the math minor was a senior level class called advanced calculus. It was unlike any calculus i had taken before(integrals and differentials) and was tedious to say the least. The entire thing was logic and proofs. The first homework assignment we had was...

1) prove that 0 exists

2) prove that 1 exists

3) once you prove those, you can prove that every number exists (since 1 exists, 1+1 exsists hence 1+1+1 exists, etc.)

Now, that really cant be used anywhere and I obviously don't remember the proofs cause they were each about half a page of logic equations. However, the process of learning the equations, how to use the equations and actually using them to prove these things was a valuable exercise in problem solving/thinking of something in a way you never did before.

My point which you completely missed was not to totally disregard those subjects

I dont believe I missed your point. You said that math was the most overrated subject there is.

You also said that the current curriculum is outdated and that kids should have a finance class instead of physics or anatomy. If you meant in addition to then yes, I missed your point, but not as you wrote it.

In fact, I agree that classes on personal finance, home-buying, stocks, how to run for political office would be a good addition to high school curriculums. Students should have the option to take those sorts of things. Replacing physics and biology for them is incredibly short sighted thinking, but you clarified your argument so no beef there.

Trust me figuring out all those things above is what got me to where I am at today.

I dont know anyone that uses calculus daily either. Does that mean it is a waste of time? I dunno.

How do you figure out the volume/area of a non-uniform (not square or cylindrical) object? Calculus, specifically integral equations. Is that information relevant in an everyday setting? Probably not, but I found it interesting that that is how it is done.

Mortgages, investments, stock options...

Is that why you got into medical technology(hmmm, maybe, the money is probably pretty good, thats why i make websites for a living, hehe)? Is that why you love to golf? Would learning about those things that have fulfilled your curiosity as a youth?

I would much rather my child wonder what the speed of light is and what its implications are than why a 1 year ARM is generally a bad idea.

You never attatcked my intelligence...

Hmmm I'd take that as an attack.

Your one of those look at the stars and wonder what could be type of guys. I would bet my life you sit on the left side of the fence, dislike SUV's probably support legalization etc.

That's ok. To each their own. I just spend a little more time in a world I call reality.

We will never see eye to eye on anything if you would rather have your child wonder about the speed of light versus being financially intelligent.

And yes...it pays very well.

Ok, yes, I implied you were hating on it cause you werent so good at math.

I never implied that you were not smart, just that it sounded like math was not your bag.

There is no shame in that, but there is no need to hate on something you dont get. Im sorry if I sounded like i was calling you a dumb person.

Ill get to the rest of what you wrote tomorrow.

I gotta go, workday is over and the range calls :partytime2:

aight, not sure why you had to get political, but...

Yeah, I like the MJ. Its the best way to unwind after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day. I love beer too (you can pry my Newcastle from my cold dead hands! :D), but being half japanese it doesn't always sit well. Youve probably heard of asian glow. Its not cool.

Anyways, herb is not coke, heroin, meth or some nasty sh!t like that. It falls into the "different strokes for different folks" category, and, yes, I think people get their panties in way too much of a bunch over the stuff.

Do i think SUVs are unnecessary for many that own them? Yes, but if you wanna buy one, its your right. A Ferrari is a hell of alot worse on gas than a Navigator, but Id get one if i could.

Do I think my taxes should get jacked up to pay for someone else's health care? Hell no.

Crazy as it may sound to you, I spend alot of time in reality as well. I need a roof, a car, food, a happy wife, and in another month, daycare. Hence, i spend 40 hours a week doing something I dont particularly love to do so I can have those things, and hopefully some luxuries as well.

The thing with reality is, it can be a bit dull, and at its worst, a real downer. Thats why you dont innundate a child/teenager with it. That is a time when anything is possible, and imagination is a good thing.

We are in agreement that real world topics would be a great thing to have in schools. I wish I had a finance class or a car repair class in high school. It would probably have been more beneficial to me than the pottery class i took.

Where we disagree is where you say the curriculum should revolve around that stuff. You dont base a national educational system on how to get by in society. That's ridiculous. Thats what parents should do.

Yeah, I like the MJ. Its the best way to unwind after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day. I love beer too (you can pry my Newcastle from my cold dead hands! :D), but being half japanese it doesn't always sit well. Youve probably heard of asian glow. Its not cool.

Anyways, herb is not coke, heroin, meth or some nasty sh!t like that. It falls into the "different strokes for different folks" category, and, yes, I think people get their panties in way too much of a bunch over the stuff.

Do i think SUVs are unnecessary for many that own them? Yes, but if you wanna buy one, its your right. A Ferrari is a hell of alot worse on gas than a Navigator, but Id get one if i could.

Do I think my taxes should get jacked up to pay for someone else's health care? Hell no.

Crazy as it may sound to you, I spend alot of time in reality as well. I need a roof, a car, food, a happy wife, and in another month, daycare. Hence, i spend 40 hours a week doing something I dont particularly love to do so I can have those things, and hopefully some luxuries as well.

The thing with reality is, it can be a bit dull, and at its worst, a real downer. Thats why you dont innundate a child/teenager with it. That is a time when anything is possible, and imagination is a good thing.

We are in agreement that real world topics would be a great thing to have in schools. I wish I had a finance class or a car repair class in high school. It would probably have been more beneficial to me than the pottery class i took.

Where we disagree is where you say the curriculum should revolve around that stuff. You dont base a national educational system on how to get by in society. That's ridiculous. Thats what parents should do.

Hahahahah. So what your basically saying is I nailed it in my prediction of where you stand on a few basic issues. Shocker. "MJ" as you put it is not meth etc. however whether you agree or disagree it is illegal. Should it be? Who knows and frankly who cares. In my opinion, yeah it should be but who really cares what I think. Unlike your typical super liberal you didn't attack me or go into some huge explosion about a bunch of stuff that you or I have zero control over or that doesn't effect us. So kudos for that. I never said it should revolve around it I insinuated some attention to more practical issues would be beneficial.

Anyways it was a fun debate. However I am over it. Enjoy your "MJ".

Yeah, it was a fun little debate. Your tone seemed a bit defensive bordering on bitter at times though.

Um, other than preferring THC to alcohol (and Im not really sure how that is political) what makes me a super-liberal?

Im born n' raised on Maui. Its the land of reggae, sunshine and chillin out. So, yeah, i may be easy-going, but i wouldnt call myself a leftist.

You live on a freakin beach in San Diego! As a fellow tropics dweller i gotta say, enjoy it!

as Bueller said...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

Hahahahah. So what your basically saying is I nailed it in my prediction of where you stand on a few basic issues. Shocker. "MJ" as you put it is not meth etc. however whether you agree or disagree it is illegal. Should it be? Who knows and frankly who cares. In my opinion, yeah it should be but who really cares what I think. Unlike your typical super liberal you didn't attack me or go into some huge explosion about a bunch of stuff that you or I have zero control over or that doesn't effect us. So kudos for that. I never said it should revolve around it I insinuated some attention to more practical issues would be beneficial.

Anyways it was a fun debate. However I am over it. Enjoy your "MJ".

Jared,

I probably shouldn't interject here, but I can't resist. Most if not all of us have done or do "illegal" things regularly. Do you ever exceed the speed limit on an interstate? Do you ever or have you ever had a few too many cold ones and driven a car? Did you drink before you were of legal drinking age? Do you gamble outside of established gambling facilities?

All of these things and many others are common laws that are broken on a daily basis by many folks. The reality is that getting a speeding ticket is really no different than getting caught with a joint. Both carry a small fine in most states, and are misdemeanors with no jail time.

Anyway, you should already know this because you have it all figured out, right?

And "no" I'm not a member of the 4:20 club.

Umm i said it should be legal if you read my message. Guess i did not make that clear enough. However i would not compare the use of marijuana to gambling outside of a facility.

Lets move on.

No, you said, and I quote, ""MJ" as you put it is not meth etc. however whether you agree or disagree it is illegal. Should it be? Who knows and frankly who cares. In my opinion, yeah it should be but who really cares what I think."

Now, you jump on the guy and say that "whether you agree or disagree it is illegal." So you're calling him a lawbreaker, right? I'm simply pointing out that you can't cut it both ways. Of course you want to move on because you can't defend it. Either you comply with ALL laws, or you don't, it's really that simple. I don't comply with all laws, so I'm a bit hesitant to point fingers at others.

You might not want to compare the use of MJ to illegal gambling, but the fact is that both are illegal regardless of what you think or feel. Just remember, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, or something like that.

I'm sure you'll have some great piece of wisdom to share in response. I can't wait... :D

I got a 27, got into all my schools of choice, so that's all that matters. I have a degree in Psychology and am in IT so college really didn't help me all that much.

I have friends who scored 33 on the ACT and are strugging to make $40K/yr. I also have friends who make $400K/yr who didn't score higher than 18. IMHO, it is overrated. If you're willing to work hard, whether it be in investment banking, systems admin, firefighting or carpentry, you're going to be successful in your own right.