2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How smart is the GolfWRX Community?

r7425

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone that took ACT's, except for maybe my parents. SAT's seemed to set the standard for all the colleges I applied too. I took my SAT's once at the beginning of 11th grade. I had a 1360 (780 math, 580 verbal). I didn't take one of the english sections, but I didn't much care since I was going into college as a Chemical Engineering major and figured my GPA and math scores were more important than anything else.

I went for Chemical Engineering, graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree and now work as an Electrical Engineer. Someone told me you never know what you'll end up doing down the road after you graduate.... I guess they were right. I do enjoy my job though.

Unlike someone below said, I don't have any friends that scored lower than me that make more money, but I do have some that scored higher than me that make more money. I'm fairly fresh out of college though (graduated 2 years ago), so you never know what might happen 10-15 years down the road.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

In my opinion curriculum these days is completely outdated. Instead of having a physics class or an anatomy class how about a class called real world finance? All about credit card debt, student loans, mortgages, mutual funds stocks etc. Things that will impact each and EVERY student? The amount of time wasted on things we never use is amazing.

Credit Card Debt - don't do it

Student loans - pay them off or better yet get a job and don't get one in the first place

Mortgages - 30 year fixed - prefereably a 20 or 15 year fixed - don't get an ARM

Stocks - Invest in mutual funds - fully fund a 401k and IRA - only invest in individual stocks after you've done that and only use money you can afford to lose

That's my version of financial success for dummies. Back to the original point, ACT/SAT/GRE/GMAT scores don't mean squat and the sooner you learn that the better off you'll be in life.

Graduate school should be somewhat directly related to your chosen field. I use quite a few techniques that I learned in B-school every day at my job. However, an undergrad education isn't the same. It's not about learning a bunch of skills that are directly transferrable to the real world. It's about expanding your base of knowledge and learning how to learn. Knowing physics, biology, psychology, mathematics etc all help you become a more well rounded person in the long run.

And there you go. You guys love proving my points. An average kid thinks a 401k is a football option pass and unfortunately his or her parents probably do to. You would be SHOCKED that your little synopsis would be Japanese to most. Unfortunately no credit card debt isn't an option for a lot of people especially in California where I live. Neither is avoiding student loans. And no one can do a 30 year fixed loan in this real estate market. Thus the need for a class stating the options.

Sorry Jared, but I have to agree with TexasAg here and you are proving his point. No credit card debt is an option just as is a fixed mortgage. My company has a group that works with individual investors and I am shocked at the number of people that think that living beyond their means is entirely acceptable. I someone can't afford the home of thier dreams with a fixed mortgage, find another home. If you do the ARM rates WILL RISE and your payment will go up.

Sorry, I am sounding like my father here.

In my opinion curriculum these days is completely outdated. Instead of having a physics class or an anatomy class how about a class called real world finance? All about credit card debt, student loans, mortgages, mutual funds stocks etc. Things that will impact each and EVERY student? The amount of time wasted on things we never use is amazing.

Student loans - pay them off or better yet get a job and don't get one in the first place

Mortgages - 30 year fixed - prefereably a 20 or 15 year fixed - don't get an ARM

Stocks - Invest in mutual funds - fully fund a 401k and IRA - only invest in individual stocks after you've done that and only use money you can afford to lose

That's my version of financial success for dummies. Back to the original point, ACT/SAT/GRE/GMAT scores don't mean squat and the sooner you learn that the better off you'll be in life.

Graduate school should be somewhat directly related to your chosen field. I use quite a few techniques that I learned in B-school every day at my job. However, an undergrad education isn't the same. It's not about learning a bunch of skills that are directly transferrable to the real world. It's about expanding your base of knowledge and learning how to learn. Knowing physics, biology, psychology, mathematics etc all help you become a more well rounded person in the long run.

And there you go. You guys love proving my points. An average kid thinks a 401k is a football option pass and unfortunately his or her parents probably do to. You would be SHOCKED that your little synopsis would be Japanese to most. Unfortunately no credit card debt isn't an option for a lot of people especially in California where I live. Neither is avoiding student loans. And no one can do a 30 year fixed loan in this real estate market. Thus the need for a class stating the options.

Sorry Jared, but I have to agree with TexasAg here and you are proving his point. No credit card debt is an option just as is a fixed mortgage. My company has a group that works with individual investors and I am shocked at the number of people that think that living beyond their means is entirely acceptable. I someone can't afford the home of thier dreams with a fixed mortgage, find another home. If you do the ARM rates WILL RISE and your payment will go up.

No your not sounding like your father your just sounding like someone who has never bought a house in a pricey market. A first time home buyer cannot afford a home in southern california without taking an interest only loan 99 percent of the time. You are talking about an average home price of over 500K. Even condo are over 350 for anywhere you would want to live. Explain to me how a 20 something year old which you probably are is supposed to come up with 10 percent of 500k for a fixed loan? Aka one hundred thousand dollars. It is not living above your means as much as it is doing what you have to do to get into the market. The ARM rates as you have put it do rise but over the past 10 years so does the value of the home. Thats what you dont understand. Who cares if the rate goes up if your 250k home is worth 450 now?

I bought my first home in 1999 for 215 thousand dollars with nothing down. I sold it in 2001 for 350 and bought a bigger home for 500, sold that last year for 1.2 million.

Without an interest only loan kiddo I would have never became what I am today...which is a 27 year old millionaire.

Unfortunately those days are over.

Glad i got out when i did.

Jared, you are spot on about that.

Maui style = we got a townhouse under affordable housing rules = $320k ("affordable" ha!) = interest only loan

Now, 2 years after we bought, the place is appraised at $460k so it isnt always a horrible financial decision. In certain areas, interest only is the only way to get into the market.

I got a 25, high as a kite, and could probably blow a 1.0 on the alky detector lol..

I forgot the test was the next day (saturday) and me and a friend of mine went out partying. My other friend calls asking me where I was (suppose to pick him up and have some breakfast before test). He ended up picking me up and taking me because I was in no shape to drive, or walk as far as that goes.

It was fun, really thought I would bomb it. I was happy w/ 25 though.

That was about 3 years ago, I start pharmacy school in the fall so it all works out in the end. I do a lot less partying and a lot more studying now :) good times though

I got a 25, high as a kite, and could probably blow a 1.0 on the alky detector lol..

I forgot the test was the next day (saturday) and me and a friend of mine went out partying. My other friend calls asking me where I was (suppose to pick him up and have some breakfast before test). He ended up picking me up and taking me because I was in no shape to drive, or walk as far as that goes.

It was fun, really thought I would bomb it. I was happy w/ 25 though.

That was about 3 years ago, I start pharmacy school in the fall so it all works out in the end. I do a lot less partying and a lot more studying now :) good times though

Probably not the stories i would be telling if your looking to be a pharmacist.

I did not do all that great on my ACT (don't remember score but is was not what I had hoped). However, I did score well, rather well, on an IQ test I took a few years ago.

I think some people choke on ACT/SAT tests, me included.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 4 weeks later...

Any test that you can study for is not a true test of intelligence anyway. I have seen some kids at Columbia that had 1600 SATs and couldn figure out an organic chem question if their life depended on it. I have also met some of the most brilliant minds who were not great test takers. Just a thought for those riding on their high score horses.

Jared, you make a great point. Don't teacher anybody upper level math, just "real world finance." Nobody ever uses upper level math, right? It's just some scam foisted on us by academicians. Why on earth does it even exist!

Oh, by the way. Since you feel that way you better turn in your computer, because it wouldn't function without upper level math. Turn in your golf sticks as well, because they couldn't have been designed. You might as well stay at home because your car isn't there either. Need I go on?

Jared, you make a great point. Don't teacher anybody upper level math, just "real world finance." Nobody ever uses upper level math, right? It's just some scam foisted on us by academicians. Why on earth does it even exist!

Oh, by the way. Since you feel that way you better turn in your computer, because it wouldn't function without upper level math. Turn in your golf sticks as well, because they couldn't have been designed. You might as well stay at home because your car isn't there either. Need I go on?

"Don't teacher anybody upper level math," Hmm...maybe we should not teach them proper english. Obviously you did not read anything i wrote. For those looking to go that direction great there are a plethora of majors that prescribe to those subjects. However for the MASSES they would ALL benefit from a real world finance class not to substitute upper learning math however to supplement it.

TexasAg, way to go! You clearly have a square head on your shoulders.

Jared, all I can say is, you're a product of SoCal, and that is quite obvious....I like a couple of your quotes...probably not word for word, but here goes...."sure, it's illegal, but does doing it make you a bad person, no"...priceless. also, ironic is this is an education thread and you say, "try coming up with 10% of $500,000....that's $100 grand pal."

It's just liberal vs conservative finance.....some people choose to make wise decisions, some people choose to be on the brink of disaster at any given moment.

and PS, North Carolina has better golf than SoCal, great weather and all your other essentials to make a place "live-worthy"...not to mention people that have rational thought processes.

"sure, it's illegal, but does doing it make you a bad person, no"...priceless.

I dont agree with alot of what jared said, but this statement has merit. I mean come on man, do you really think that committing an illegal act has any bearing on whether or not someone is a good person?

Do you ever jaywalk? Ever go 55 in a 50? Have you ever had a blow-job?

These things are all illegal too. Hell, in Thailand it is illegal to spit in public.

Dont confuse laws with morality.

• 3 weeks later...

No your not sounding like your father your just sounding like someone who has never bought a house in a pricey market. A first time home buyer cannot afford a home in southern california without taking an interest only loan 99 percent of the time. You are talking about an average home price of over 500K. Even condo are over 350 for anywhere you would want to live. Explain to me how a 20 something year old which you probably are is supposed to come up with 10 percent of 500k for a fixed loan? Aka one hundred thousand dollars. It is not living above your means as much as it is doing what you have to do to get into the market. The ARM rates as you have put it do rise but over the past 10 years so does the value of the home. Thats what you dont understand. Who cares if the rate goes up if your 250k home is worth 450 now?

I bought my first home in 1999 for 215 thousand dollars with nothing down. I sold it in 2001 for 350 and bought a bigger home for 500, sold that last year for 1.2 million.

Without an interest only loan kiddo I would have never became what I am today...which is a 27 year old millionaire.

Well, I think you should really just focus on basic math since 10% of 500K is $50,000. If you can't afford a 30 year mortgage, don't buy it. I am sure you could live in a less than desirable part of town, or an up and coming neighborhood. Why do we think in America now we can have what we cannot afford? "It's California, everything is expensive, I need to go into debt." No you don't. Get a smaller house, not a monstrosity than mortgages you out your a**. What we need to teach in this country is responsibility and it should be harder than s*** to get a credit card. Interest only loans may work in the short term, if your equity grows, but as I am reading from over here on the east coast, your equity in California is in the proverbial toilet. Good investment moron.

The person who brags that he is a millionaire probably has a small p****. If you are a millionaire, keep it to yourself and know that there are people on this board who could purchase your a** 100 times over on their Amex. ******.

3 woods of a certain power A ticket to the Tom Wishon vs. Todd Thrun Power Meeting in Vegas that never happened

Well, I think you should really just focus on basic math since 10% of 500K is $50,000. If you can't afford a 30 year mortgage, don't buy it. I am sure you could live in a less than desirable part of town, or an up and coming neighborhood. Why do we think in America now we can have what we cannot afford? "It's California, everything is expensive, I need to go into debt." No you don't. Get a smaller house, not a monstrosity than mortgages you out your a**. What we need to teach in this country is responsibility and it should be harder than s*** to get a credit card. Interest only loans may work in the short term, if your equity grows, but as I am reading from over here on the east coast, your equity in California is in the proverbial toilet. Good investment moron.

The person who brags that he is a millionaire probably has a small p****. If you are a millionaire, keep it to yourself and know that there are people on this board who could purchase your a** 100 times over on their Amex. ******.

Less desirable homes are still 500k bud. I am a millionaire proud of it and I could care less if you could buy me over on a credit card.

Chump.