2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

UK off the beaten path

OSR - the Top100 golf courses site is a good source of info, and splits down very nicely country by country, county by county (="State"), which might help in your research and planning.

http://www.top100gol...tmlsite/gbi.asp

If you are down in the south at any point, a free game awaits you at Goodwood :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Hollinwell or as its officially known notts golf club would imo be a much better bet that the forest of arden or the belfry.

Dont rule out Wales, some great cheap links courses to be had :)

Portmadog springs to mind......what a course that is!

I concur plus Royal St. David's and Aberdovey are both stunning.

St David's was a great day out.....I went golfing while the wife and kids went round the castle ha ha. But I stayed on a site next to portmadog, and they had the best pitch and putt course I've ever known! A links with links bunkers and all the holes over 70 yards....Brilliant, spent all night there with kids. But even if you're not into golf the whole area around portmadog is stunning and I would recommend a ride on the old stream train into the mountains

For "off-the-beaten-track" places, Scotland must be the best. Apart from all the big name courses, every little community seems to have its own course, and they are often ridiculously cheap to play.

Yorkshire has been mentioned, so I want to add that there are a lot of Alistair MacKenzie designed courses around Leeds (where he lived) and some in Bradford as well. Allwoodley was his first course, I believe, and it's supposed to be great, but not that easy to get on. Over towards Bradford there's Bingley St-Ives, which he designed. That should be easier to get, even though it's no longer municipal. Don't let the rather pedestrian first hole put you off, the rest of the course is a beautiful moorland track. It's also the course where I hit my first ever golf shot.

There's also Pannal near Harrogate, which is supposed to be good. Around Bradford, Ilkley is pretty good, especially the first 6 or 7 holes, but a bit posh. Shipley/Beckfoot is OK, and Bradford (Hawksworth) is also one of Bradford's better courses. Leeds probably has more better courses, but they are likely to be more expensive.

And then having been to the Lakes you take a little trip out to Barrow-in Furness. There you will play the 4th oldest course in England, a seaside course called Furness, on Walney island and go to the Queens Arms at Biggar (1753) a mile down the road. Nearby is the 10 hole course built by railway workers 100 years ago at The Dunnerholme with it's epic Dunnerholme Rock par 3, an up-hill shot anything from a 3 iron to a wedge. It's a links course with gorse, rushes, sheep, ditches and drains. Just turn up and play.

Having the surname Stafford I am particularly interested in traveling to Staffordshire as well. How's the golf and climate in that region?

Funnily enough my course has just this week re-branded as 'The Staffordshire.'

http://www.swindongolfclub.co.uk/

It's a bit off the beaten track, but pretty much in the centre of the UK, not far from Birmingham, and offers a warm welcome. Summer months are the best...it's not the best draining layout but has some lovely holes all of which are tree-lined.

There are also some great courses in the area such as Enville, Sandwell Park, Beau Desert, Handsworth, that are well worth checking out.

Other places to consider are the Northumbrian coast (Dunstanburgh Castle and Bamburgh Castle are both spectacular) and if you really want to get off the beaten track, Reay Golf Club on the very north coast of Scotland, is worth the trip.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Very reminiscent of the parkland layouts that I typically play, although only one comes to mind as being quite that tight. The mention of Swindon brings back memories of the mother of all roundabouts!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Hey OP :)

I just saw your here thread near the top of the new posts list and funnily enough I just threw together a thread about a trip I took last autumn, playing some of the best less well known (but hardly unknown, especially to those who live there) courses in the UK: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1304076-england-wales-golf-trip-review/

It might help give you some food for thought. With the exception of Seascale these are still 'Top Whatever' courses, so while they are definitely off the typical golfer's tour path, they are still not off the beaten path I'd say ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Very reminiscent of the parkland layouts that I typically play, although only one comes to mind as being quite that tight. The mention of Swindon brings back memories of the mother of all roundabouts!

It certainly teaches you to play straight!

The name change is partly to better locate the course I think. The 'Swindon Golf Club' is actually situated near to a small village in Staffordshire and not the large town of Swindon in Wiltshire which is about 85 miles away! It has caused a lot of confusion over the years.

Radius Classic 8

Staffordshire is a really nice county. Stafford is an old market town well worth a trip. For me Beau Desert is the best course in the area. You also have the Belfry not too far away which wouldn't be a bad shout to base yourself. If you travel up North from there you have the Manchester golf club which is a great track and Manchester is a good night out. Or you could head over to Liverpool. On that coast are some of the best links courses in the UK. Hoylake, Wallasey, West Lancs, Southport and Ainsdale, Hillside, Royal Birkdale, Fairhaven, St.Anne's old links and Royal Lytham & St Anne's.

Weather wise it's the North of England, im sure you've seen the Open at Royal Liverpool when Tiger won on scorched Fairways and a few years laSt time it was there it was very lush with players wearing winter mits to keep there hands warm.

Great cheap courses off my the top of my head are Bull Bay, Conwy, Porthmadog, Royal St.Davids, The Manchester, Hesketh, Huddersfield. They all have a festival week in summer with open competitions with reduced green fees and good prizes. Maybe worth trying to arrange your trip playing a few opens?

I suppose the ultimate "off the beaten track" course would have to be Askernish on the Isle of South Uist in the Outer Hebrides (NW Scotland)

http://www.askernishgolfclub.com/

It's definitely on my bucket list that one ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Spectacular! Thanks for posting. :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Will pick it up Vintage. As with the author, I too am recovering from a near fatal illness. Almost two years ago to the day my colon ruptured while I was out to sea on a project. Am just now getting back to what is some degree of golf as I wish to play it.

Good health to you. Enjoy the book which really encapsulates why we play golf.

Callaway Epic Max LS 
TM M2 3 wood 
Mizuno MP 650 hybrids -  17 & 22 degree

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5 iron

Mizuno MP-5 6-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM9 50

Vokey SM7 56, 60
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 

Try the south west loads of people go Scotland but never give Somerset and Cornwall a visit got burnham and berrow. Saunton east and west st enedoc Bovey castle and for culture you have The city of Bath or Salisbury ie stone henge.

Callaway great big bertha driver
Callaway xr hybrid
Callaway xr irons 4/AW
Callaway mack daddy 3 wedge 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Various putters
Snell MTB

If your wanting 'off the beaten track' and your in the Hertfordshire area or close....

http://rickmansworthgolfclub.co.uk/

Short, very short. BUT cheap and some of the most spectacular holes you'll see - look at the 3rd hole via google images!! Harry Colt design at the same time as it's neighbour, Moor Park.

It's super, super fun that'll put a smile on your face.

As an edit..... http://www.stanmoregolfclub.co.uk/

A course of my youth - click the link, see the pics.

7th hole at Stanmore.

Fond memories of Stanmore. I was a trainee there for just over three years.

For me personally It would have to be the west coast of Scotland. Done it a few times around Ayr & Troon and there is excellent value to be found. An hour away from Glasgow for culture etc. We used to base ourselves in Ayr (tidy little bnb off the beach) and play all the local muni's and some open qualifying venues. Was great fun.

I did a little thread some years ago about a course 20 miles or so north of Prestwick. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/312764-west-kilbride-golf-club/page__p__2086103__hl__+kilbride#entry2086103

The south east of England is also good but expect a premium. Not many hidden gems there. Just excellent but high priced golf.

Try the south west loads of people go Scotland but never give Somerset and Cornwall a visit got burnham and berrow. Saunton east and west st enedoc Bovey castle and for culture you have The city of Bath or Salisbury ie stone henge.

My mother has just moved near to Saunton. Looked spectacular from the road!.

Driver: M1 2016
Fairway: Jet Speed Tour
Hybrid: Adams Tour Proto 19˚
DI: Mizuno FliHi 18º
Irons: 714 AP2 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Tour Grind 52˚ & 58˚
Putter: Spider CS Original

If your wanting 'off the beaten track' and your in the Hertfordshire area or close....

http://rickmansworthgolfclub.co.uk/

Short, very short. BUT cheap and some of the most spectacular holes you'll see - look at the 3rd hole via google images!! Harry Colt design at the same time as it's neighbour, Moor Park.

It's super, super fun that'll put a smile on your face.

As an edit..... http://www.stanmoregolfclub.co.uk/

A course of my youth - click the link, see the pics.

7th hole at Stanmore.

Fond memories of Stanmore. I was a trainee there for just over three years.

For me personally It would have to be the west coast of Scotland. Done it a few times around Ayr & Troon and there is excellent value to be found. An hour away from Glasgow for culture etc. We used to base ourselves in Ayr (tidy little bnb off the beach) and play all the local muni's and some open qualifying venues. Was great fun.

I did a little thread some years ago about a course 20 miles or so north of Prestwick. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/312764-west-kilbride-golf-club/page__p__2086103__hl__+kilbride#entry2086103

The south east of England is also good but expect a premium. Not many hidden gems there. Just excellent but high priced golf.

My mother has just moved near to Saunton. Looked spectacular from the road!.

Played Saunton West last week for the first time. It is supposed to be the lesser of the two courses, but if the East is anything like the West I would say that Saunton has perhaps the best 36 holes of links golf in one location. Every hole is memorable and the course is a proper challenge. Quality of the turf and the greens was excellent and if anyone gets the chance to play it they should. You can see why it is mooted as a potential Open venue.

Radius Classic 8

If you find yourself in Devon during the weeks leading up to the British and Seniors Open, you may bump in to a certain Mr T. Watson there for links practice.......I can't remember which one his chum works at - either St Enodoc or Trevose.

If you find yourself in Devon during the weeks leading up to the British and Seniors Open, you may bump in to a certain Mr T. Watson there for links practice.......I can't remember which one his chum works at - either St Enodoc or Trevose.

Played Trevose as well last weekend. Great course and facilities. The work that they are doing on the bunkering will make a real difference, just a shame that it isn't quite finished. Iconic 4th green also out of action facing a rebuild which was disappointing. As with all Harry Colt courses, every hole is instantly memorable and challenging but fair.

Radius Classic 8