New Ping Clubs On The Horizon?

SirShanksAlot

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I've been trying to track down some more info on the fate of the current Ping i5 and G5 lines but the company tends to be fairly tight lipped.

I had the chance to speak with a few associates that work at clubs with large Ping accounts and they both mentioned they've been told to expect new equipment in the fall. Ping is one of the last companies that run on 2 year product life cycles. This would make the current i5 irons and G5 woods and irons up for renewal in the fall. The company has had some good success with the "i" and "G" lines so I'd expect to see more of the same.

Speaking of new clubs... the Edwin Watts website has pictures of the new Solus Series 7.1 wedges. Looks like the company is going to go with more of a blade this time but some of the other technologies look like they've stuck around. If you follow the "Tour" section on the Solus Golf website you've probably read about the 7.1 already. I've got a Solus wedge in the bag right now and love it. These are legit... despite their "infomercial" beginnings... and are worth a look!

We'll keep you updated as we got more info on both fronts. Thanks for the emails and we'll talk to you later!

www.sirshanksalot.com

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely ready for a new Ping iron (even though I like my i5's) and I bet Claus is even more ready! :partytime2:

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

I can't wait to see the latest and greatest from Ping. I loved the I5, just a little too much offset for my taste. But the irons played great and I can't wait to see how Ping improves on them. It would be nice to see Ping come out with a more of a "player's cavity" like the TM R7 TP or Srixon I506.

The world waits...

I can't wait to see the latest and greatest from Ping. I loved the I5, just a little too much offset for my taste. But the irons played great and I can't wait to see how Ping improves on them. It would be nice to see Ping come out with a more of a "player's cavity" like the TM R7 TP or Srixon I506.

The world waits...

I wonder if Ping comes out with a player's cavity, will littlepingman return to his namesake or are the X-Forged just too good to get out of the bag?

Hmmmm????????

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

I have heard the G/I successors will have the 10 designation. New woods, hybrids, and irons, have also heard a rumor that they will release a players club with the traditional PING no ferrule look, whether that is the I-10 or another club I have no idea. I guess we'll know come September.

Driver: GBB 9* 
3wd: GBB 15*  
Hybrid: Big Bertha 3hy
Irons: Apex cf 16 4-AW  
Wedges: MD4 54 & 58 W grind  
Putter: O-Works 7 black

I wonder if Ping comes out with a player's cavity, will littlepingman return to his namesake or are the X-Forged just too good to get out of the bag?

Hmmmm????????

That is exactly the same thing I was asking myself when I started thinking about the possibility of a nice player cavity from Ping. I will guarantee that they will get play in my bag but if they would knock the X-Forged out remains a mystery that I can wait to solve.

That is exactly the same thing I was asking myself when I started thinking about the possibility of a nice player cavity from Ping. I will guarantee that they will get play in my bag but if they would knock the X-Forged out remains a mystery that I can wait to solve.

I hit 5 balls with a X-Forged 6-iron into a net about a month ago and ran as fast as I could out of the shop. I liked the feel too much but I'm out of money from all the ho'ing I've done lately and I didn't want to be tempted anymore.

Gotta save my money for the new Ping's!

I have heard the G/I successors will have the 10 designation. New woods, hybrids, and irons, have also heard a rumor that they will release a players club with the traditional PING no ferrule look, whether that is the I-10 or another club I have no idea. I guess we'll know come September.

That will be the new I 10.

The world waits...

Hmmmm????????

Yeahh...could be funny if Ping released an iron that was kind of a hybrid between the S58's and the i5's - slightly larger headsize compared to S58, no ferrule, smaller offset and clubhead size than i5 - this would be a winner, both on the tour and with all the low cap Ping fans. Though I must say, I like the S58 very much....but I guess some Ping fans need an iron, which looks more like the old classic heads....no ferrule, bizarre headshape etc.

Yeahh...could be funny if Ping released an iron that was kind of a hybrid between the S58's and the i5's - slightly larger headsize compared to S58, no ferrule, smaller offset and clubhead size than i5 - this would be a winner, both on the tour and with all the low cap Ping fans. Though I must say, I like the S58 very much....but I guess some Ping fans need an iron, which looks more like the old classic heads....no ferrule, bizarre headshape etc.

You couldn't have said it any better Claus. I also love the s58, but if you are going to use that type of an iron why not use a forged head to get the great feel and feedback(not to say the s58s don't feel great because the do, but nothing like forged). I was a huge fan of the ISI and I3. But the I5 has too much offset and the head is slightly too big. I fall into the category you speak of like a tee.

I wouldn't say that. It's not like the I5s are going to be obselete in 6 months. If there is any brand that you can play for years and years, it's Ping. If you like the i5 line, I see no reason not to pull the trigger.

Plus, if the new line comes out and they're that much better, the resale value on a used set of Pings is pretty high.

I wouldn't say that. It's not like the I5s are going to be obselete in 6 months. If there is any brand that you can play for years and years, it's Ping. If you like the i5 line, I see no reason not to pull the trigger.

Plus, if the new line comes out and they're that much better, the resale value on a used set of Pings is pretty high.

I second that :partytime2:

As Imention in my other post, rumours are that the succesor to the i5 might be an iron that looks and plays somewhat more like the old i3+ blade, and if this is correct, the i5 will fill a small gap in between the upcoming succesor to the G5 model and the new upcoming i model.

However one must also take into consideration, that the Rapture iron may be the iron that Ping will let be the official succesor to the G5, and then maybe make a G7 or G10 (whatever they will call the next G model) that resembles the old i5 more - speculations.......speculations........it's good fun though :pardon:

The last I heard (PURE gossip), the i6/i10 was going to be designed after the iWedge line.

and mintojl, I just bought i5s knowing full well (or suspecting anyway) that their successor was on the horizon. Why? Because I hit them the best. Didn't see any reason to fool around once I found the clubs I liked the best.

I just ordered a set of i5s too knowing that this was likely their last year before new product would be released. I had decided I really wanted new irons this year and really liked the i5s. I didn't want to wait till this fall/next spring and effectively not have new clubs this year. And I don't change clubs often. Lots of folks still play the eye2s and i3s in various iterations. Pings wear well and hold their value. And who's to say I'd like the replacement any better.

The world waits...

Hmmmm????????

I know I'd like an iron like that. The i5's are great but the offset eventually got to me.

I'd also love to see an updated version of the Tour wedge with a black oxide finish and visible milling marks. I know it's a stretch but that would be :D .

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

The best part about Ping is that they just don't change stuff for sake of change. They are about the only company that sticks with 2 year product cycles. New releases seem to be well designed and thought out. The current I5/G5 line is awesome and the new stuff will be great too. Take it to the bank (or go to the bank and pull some cash for new irons!).

I went ahead and ordered i5's 4-pw and iwedges 50, 54 adn 58. I have an Adams Idea Pro hybrid for my 3i. Is the Rapture hybrid any better.

Rapture hybrid is very under-rated. An absolutely superb club. I've always strugled with hybrids going left, however haven't had any problems like this with the rapture. Good from most lies, great ball flight. And with the VS Proto a great combo.

[color=#0000ff]Ping G400LST 10° Ping Tour 65 shaft S
Titleist TS 2 16.5 and 21° Tensei Blue stiff
Ping i200 4 - W, KBS 120 tour stiff
Ping Glide 2 stealth 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Red Tour[/color]

You couldn't have said it any better Claus. I also love the s58, but if you are going to use that type of an iron why not use a forged head to get the great feel and feedback(not to say the s58s don't feel great because the do, but nothing like forged). I was a huge fan of the ISI and I3. But the I5 has too much offset and the head is slightly too big. I fall into the category you speak of like a tee.

What you describe sounds pretty much like the i3 blade. Maybe the new iron will be more of an update on this. For me Ping irons don't quite look right without the offset.

littlepingman, i liked the isi also but wasn't huge fan of the i3, however if my memory serves me right the ISI had way more offset than the i5.

[color=#0000ff]Ping G400LST 10° Ping Tour 65 shaft S
Titleist TS 2 16.5 and 21° Tensei Blue stiff
Ping i200 4 - W, KBS 120 tour stiff
Ping Glide 2 stealth 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Red Tour[/color]

I still play ISI irons, and have loved them for almost 8 years now. The offset is starting to get to me though - I'm a 13 and have started working the ball more over the past year, and if that's going to become my gameplan its probably time to move on. Hit the s58 6-iron for a while at the range tonight and was quite impressed, but would love to see a smaller cavity back with less offset from Ping before making a move.

Hoping for the total return to no ferrule look. Ping irons (S59 S58) with ferrules and that tremendous amount of offset in the 2, 3, 4 iron just do not look right. i7 or i10 very likely (unfortunately the proto I saw did indeed look like the i-wedge). Look for the Rapture irons to replace the G5 irons.

I agree Sandy - too much offset in the 3 & 4 on the S58's (what's a 2 iron BTW :friends: )

But I already skipped my 3 and 4 iron anyway and have a 2 and 4 hybrid in my bag - sometimes I miss the sweet feel of a well struck 3 iron, but then I remember how rarely I hit the 3 iron just as would have liked to anyway and looks at my 2 and 4 hybrid and smiles :tongue:

I think it was Ben Hogan who once said: I probably hit one shot on 18 holes that came out 100% the way it should.

I use my 3 and 4 iron on the range for practise - I actually will buy the smallest and most blade like possible 3 iron for practise on the range (I saw an old small Wilson blade 3 iron on ebay from the early 90's) - this way I will get very confident when on the course with my 5-PW set of irons.

From 5 -PW I really like the way the S58 set looks - and I happen to like ferrule on Ping irons - I'm from the new Ping generation, I guess :russian_roulette:

Hoping for the total return to no ferrule look. Ping irons (S59 S58) with ferrules and that tremendous amount of offset in the 2, 3, 4 iron just do not look right. i7 or i10 very likely (unfortunately the proto I saw did indeed look like the i-wedge). Look for the Rapture irons to replace the G5 irons.

I agree Sandy - too much offset in the 3 & 4 on the S58's (what's a 2 iron BTW :shok: )

Seemed to work alright for Angel Cabrera today..

But I already skipped my 3 and 4 iron anyway and have a 2 and 4 hybrid in my bag - sometimes I miss the sweet feel of a well struck 3 iron, but then I remember how rarely I hit the 3 iron just as would have liked to anyway and looks at my 2 and 4 hybrid and smiles :cheesy:

I think it was Ben Hogan who once said: I probably hit one shot on 18 holes that came out 100% the way it should.

I use my 3 and 4 iron on the range for practise - I actually will buy the smallest and most blade like possible 3 iron for practise on the range (I saw an old small Wilson blade 3 iron on ebay from the early 90's) - this way I will get very confident when on the course with my 5-PW set of irons.

From 5 -PW I really like the way the S58 set looks - and I happen to like ferrule on Ping irons - I'm from the new Ping generation, I guess :cheesy:

Interesting that you should say that because I had heard the new Ping iron will be designed to fill the spot between the i5 amd s58.

Essentially their "players' cavity back. I also heard that most of the tour guys playing the i5 have signifgant sole grinding done to their irons.

It's funny how all you guys describing the player's cavity you'd like to see from Ping are basically detailing the i3 Blade. All they have to do it give the old classic less bounce and a better grind (iWedge-style, hopefully) and you'd have a great set.