Just wanted to talk about the importance of 'Using the Ground' in the swing. I have been focusing on trying to use the ground and it really helps. Not only does it help with power, but if you utilize Rory's "Power Squat," focusing on pushing off the ground really helps you get back to square and make good contact. I was actually hitting straighter shots when I really focused on pushing off. Honestly, my knee feels a little sore from doing this, probably due to semi-weak Glute muscles.

Now I'm no Scratch Golfer, but my ball striking is excellent and does not reflect in my scores. Does this move help anyone else?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think all of the confusion and people getting in front of the ball is over a topic many would call semantics and it's not.   I have been using this language for a couple of years. It's a shift in p

Also, you can think of it as pushing into the ground and not pushing off the ground. That slight difference helps some.

Something worth mentioning.....The pressure shift left starts early...earlier than you think for most people...once you feel most pressure shift into your trail heel you should start reversing course.

I know it is the right move, but when I try and push off, for some reason, I cannot stay behind the ball. My upper body seems to want to move forward and I come over the top. I am working hard on keeping my right elbow in on the downswing.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

I know it is the right move, but when I try and push off, for some reason, I cannot stay behind the ball. My upper body seems to want to move forward and I come over the top. I am working hard on keeping my right elbow in on the downswing.

Are you pushing off with your lead leg or trail leg? I should've specified, but I am referring to the lead leg. Not only does it help you return to square if you do the "power squat" move, but it also forces you into rotation, which again helps you square up to the ball and put a good swing on it.

I am pushing off with the back leg, never thought of pushing with the lead leg. I thought I was supposed to get my weight to the lead leg and "post" around it. I am now confused?

Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Scotty Cameron Monterey

I think all of the confusion and people getting in front of the ball is over a topic many would call semantics and it's not.

I have been using this language for a couple of years. It's a shift in pressure, not a "weight shift."

When you tell your body weight shift, you will move too much laterally.

• Like 2

The concept of weight shift as taught since the 90's probably did more harm than good to my golf swing. To me, it meant "sway".

Pressure is a much better term.

In my own swing, I cannot think "squat" because it causes me to dip my shoulders down, and get badly steep and across. I am working on using an external focus (as the learning management industry would call it) of pressing down on the ground--particularly with my left foot and heel.

• Like 1

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

I am pushing off with the back leg, never thought of pushing with the lead leg. I thought I was supposed to get my weight to the lead leg and "post" around it. I am now confused?

As Monte put it, it's more of a pressure change. On the way back, you want to have your weight on your trail leg (feeling of pushing into the ground with that back leg), which helps a bit with shoulder turn. Then during the downswing you really just have the feeling of "shifting" pressure onto your lead leg. Having this feeling will translate to shifting your weight, but it may be easier to think of it this way rather than actually shifting your weight, which as Monte said, could lead you to too much lateral movement. That's a problem I had and working to fix it with this movement.

Just wanted to talk about the importance of 'Using the Ground' in the swing. I have been focusing on trying to use the ground and it really helps. Not only does it help with power, but if you utilize Rory's "Power Squat," focusing on pushing off the ground really helps you get back to square and make good contact. I was actually hitting straighter shots when I really focused on pushing off. Honestly, my knee feels a little sore from doing this, probably due to semi-weak Glute muscles.

Now I'm no Scratch Golfer, but my ball striking is excellent and does not reflect in my scores. Does this move help anyone else?

Haven't been able to figure out how to push off the ground without raising the upper body. This move seems to cause early extension for me.

Thanks Monte,

That makes sense, I think I am trying so hard to push off and get to my right side that I am not staying behind the ball. I am really struggling with that concept.

Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Scotty Cameron Monterey

• 4 years later...

This is an old post but I was intrigued by watching Matt Wolfe w Como and GG, moving the practice mat.  So I've tried a version. Start forward swing by gripping ground firmly with inside right and outside left foot, 'twisting to the left'.  Seems to work, better turn less sliding for me.  At impact I feel I have real shaft lean.  Anyone else?

Something worth mentioning.....The pressure shift left starts early...earlier than you think for most people...once you feel most pressure shift into your trail heel you should start reversing course. With irons that's around p2ish...with driver it may be closer to p3.  As soon as you get there it's time to start feeling the pressure move left.  A side benefit is that it may help you shorten your swing a bit as well.

I prefer to feel the lead leg flexing to start which helps with re-centering and getting the pressure more even at the top (prob need to get back to this again) and I try to maintain that leg flexion as long as I can because I have a tendency to straighten too early which causes very vertical shoulders at impact.  For me, the leg will straighten automatically and at the right time if I feel like I maintain it.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

45 minutes ago, mocokid said:

This is an old post but I was intrigued by watching Matt Wolfe w Como and GG, moving the practice mat.  So I've tried a version. Start forward swing by gripping ground firmly with inside right and outside left foot, 'twisting to the left'.  Seems to work, better turn less sliding for me.  At impact I feel I have real shaft lean.  Anyone else?

I've started playing with this feeling too and totally agree. My main feeling is turning my lead foot counterclockwise. I agree, I think it definitely helps me rotate better. Hasn't really helped my path issues or my casting but I do feel like I'm hitting the ball harder without having to hammer it with my arms.

Edited by PopeofTexas
spelling

Ping G400 Max 9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Cobra King Speedzone 3F Tensei Blue 65s

TaylorMade V-Steel 7W GD Purple Ice 85s

TaylorMade M4 4 Iron Atmos 6S

Callaway Apex CF16 4-9

Callaway Apex Pro PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50/12 SS

Callaway MD4 56/8 C-Grind
Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple-Track 2-Ball

8 minutes ago, mocokid said:

thanks when you do it right, the ball takes off like a rocket due to the shaft lean. I also feel I get some bowed wrist doing this. 

Any particular feel or conscious action you have on the arms and upper body in conjunction with the pivot to get the shaft leaning?

Callaway Apex CF16 4-9

Callaway Apex Pro PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50/12 SS

22 minutes ago, ferrispgm said:

Something worth mentioning.....The pressure shift left starts early...earlier than you think for most people...once you feel most pressure shift into your trail heel you should start reversing course. With irons that's around p2ish...with driver it may be closer to p3.  As soon as you get there it's time to start feeling the pressure move left.  A side benefit is that it may help you shorten your swing a bit as well.

I prefer to feel the lead leg flexing to start which helps with re-centering and getting the pressure more even at the top (prob need to get back to this again) and I try to maintain that leg flexion as long as I can because I have a tendency to straighten too early which causes very vertical shoulders at impact.  For me, the leg will straighten automatically and at the right time if I feel like I maintain it.  

that's a good point, the ground move should start before the back swing ends.  

9 minutes ago, PopeofTexas said:

Any particular feel or conscious action you have on the arms and upper body in conjunction with the pivot to get the shaft leaning?

shaft lean is a result not something to try and force.  you get it from proper sequencing and proper wrist movements in transition.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferrispgm said:

shaft lean is a result not something to try and force.  you get it from proper sequencing and proper wrist movements in transition.  

1 minute ago, mocokid said:

Agreed.  They are the effect not the cause.

You guys are both right and I know that in my head to be true but I also like a feel or a checkpoint during the backswing or transition. When I use the ground my pivot looks better on video but I can tell the contact isn't as compressed. Alternative is going back to my crappy pivot and path and compressing it dead left...

Callaway Apex CF16 4-9

Callaway Apex Pro PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50/12 SS

53 minutes ago, PopeofTexas said:

You guys are both right and I know that in my head to be true but I also like a feel or a checkpoint during the backswing or transition. When I use the ground my pivot looks better on video but I can tell the contact isn't as compressed. Alternative is going back to my crappy pivot and path and compressing it dead left...

best thing you can do is not worry about "compression" and fix what's not allowing to get to a proper impact...the "compression" will happen naturally.  Trust me...I've been down the road before and it leads nowhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ferrispgm said:

best thing you can do is not worry about "compression" and fix what's not allowing to get to a proper impact...the "compression" will happen naturally.  Trust me...I've been down the road before and it leads nowhere.

Went out to the garage to play around with feeling a very early shift and was seeing some nice results. Your comment about starting around P2 was helpful. It definitely feels like a much shorter swing but on video it isn't nearly as short as it seems, no big surprise there. I did notice that nice feeling of pulling everything around that left pivot point several times and was getting good contact and compression a lot. I also noticed that I overcooked the pressure shift at times and really just slid laterally. Thanks for you guys' comments.

• Like 1

Callaway Apex CF16 4-9

Callaway Apex Pro PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50/12 SS

On 3/23/2016 at 4:23 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

Also, you can think of it as pushing into the ground and not pushing off the ground. That slight difference helps some.

Holy cow, thank you.

I just stood up, in my living room, no club in hand, and tried rotating back and forth focusing an a push down on the right on the way back and push down on the left as I reversed to come forward. 

Just doing it I felt immediately that it's a power move and makes it a LOT more intuitive to start both recentering and to start the hip rotation without sway or focusing on hip rotation... Yet my hips were opening and everything else just seemed to drop right into sequence. 

Now I hate that I don't plan to get to the range until Sunday!

The first time I learned of the squat move is when Tiger talked about it long before Rory was even on the PGA tour scene.  Tiger called it snapping his left leg straight on the down swing.  So I started doing it back in 2009 and my ss went from 112 to 122+mph.  It also helps with promoting a positive AoA.  It takes awhile to perfect the squat move, but it's worth the time and effort.  

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

The first time I learned of the squat move is when Tiger talked about it long before Rory was even on the PGA tour scene.  Tiger called it snapping his left leg straight on the down swing.  So I started doing it back in 2009 and my ss went from 112 to 122+mph.  It also helps with promoting a positive AoA.  It takes awhile to perfect the squat move, but it's worth the time and effort.  

Agree ...but thats why Tigers left knee is shot and required surgeries....snapping not so good for knees. Rotating is better and you see many players now where the left foot actually comes up and off the ground for a very short time to relieve the "snapping" pressure on the knee

• Like 1