2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

I got these from an estate auction house so I guess it's not exactly "Thrift Store", but it's either here or the "No new acquisitions?" thread, which is practically the same thing anyway.  The bag was junk but at $3 a club I couldn't pass up the Hogan blades.  Get this though:  the set is 1 thru Equalizer but missing the 7, 8, & 9 irons.  Hmmm...   Oh, and they have AMF Apex Pro shafts in 4 flex.  They feel quite stout.

The woods are serials matching 1, 4, & 5 Powerbilt Citations but are pretty beat and have soft shafts so I'm not that interested in them at the moment.

I'm not too sure what I'll do with the partial iron set but who knows, maybe I'll fill it out someday.  At least I got myself a respectable Hogan blade 1 iron.

Seems fitting with all the Mac talk the last page or more that I walked into these tonight

37907164_2558517857707376_6648505165416497152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7e514664d84bba2a738d56a9e8c1c400&oe=5C096116

MacGregor MT "Tour Forged". 3-10 complete set. They were at the GW that always tends to overprice their stuff. $6.99 a club. I was Googling only to find I had a "set" of these four years back and was asking about them http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1076463-macgregor-mt-tour-forged-irons/

I was still a decent player four years back but I did part with them on eBay. Can't think of what I fetched for them but I loved their look.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Seems fitting with all the Mac talk the last page or more that I walked into these tonight

37907164_2558517857707376_6648505165416497152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7e514664d84bba2a738d56a9e8c1c400&oe=5C096116

MacGregor MT "Tour Forged". 3-10 complete set. They were at the GW that always tends to overprice their stuff. $6.99 a club. I was Googling only to find I had a "set" of these four years back and was asking about them http://www.golfwrx.c...r-forged-irons/

I was still a decent player four years back but I did part with them on eBay. Can't think of what I fetched for them but I loved their look.

I've got a quite beaten up set of those. The offset on the longer irons is a little odd, but I like the set a lot. I actually had one of my best irons striking rounds in a long time with them earlier in the year. I was in trouble off the tee quite often, but was blasting my iron shots over trees and huge mounds onto greens I couldn't even see.

Incidentally, mine don't say "Tour Forged" on the hosel and there's no paint on them whatsoever, so I would guess they are a different year from the ones in your picture. I think they were produced from 1980 to 1983.

Being as I was off today, on a whim the wifey and I stopped by the local GW to poke around and see if there was anything worth getting. They had several bags of clubs, and a barrel of individual irons, and they were either clones/knockoffs or (ironically) they must have had 3 complete sets of 70s-era Northwestern irons and woods with the finish completely worn off them.

Needless to say we walked out of there empty handed.

I sure would luv to stumble across a set of Wilson irons (with the weight port) from back in my high school days like I had (the ex made off with my originals), but somehow I don't see it happening.

That's how the thrift store game works. Lots of nothing, until you find items of interest. And the taste for the hunt is renewed. Helps to search thrifts located near more affluent neighborhoods with golf courses in the area. Seems as though they receive higher quality donations. Besides GW (and related thrift stores), estate sales can be fertile grounds, and I've found a number of club clubs at Habitat for Humanity Restores for some reason. But as always, clubs are where you find them. if one doesn't occasionally have a look, the results are guaranteed.

Found a set of '74 DynaPowers (weight port) 2 - PW at a thrift some number of years ago. It is possible. Since liquidated as they fell under the two year clause. (Clubs that never see a golf course in two years are sold). While not at thrift store prices, they periodically show up on the Bay. The question then becomes what is it worth to you to recapture some history. Here's what appears to be a quite clean set of '74 Dynapowers.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I got these from an estate auction house so I guess it's not exactly "Thrift Store", but it's either here or the "No new acquisitions?" thread, which is practically the same thing anyway. The bag was junk but at $3 a club I couldn't pass up the Hogan blades. Get this though: the set is 1 thru Equalizer but missing the 7, 8, & 9 irons. Hmmm... Oh, and they have AMF Apex Pro shafts in 4 flex. They feel quite stout.

The woods are serials matching 1, 4, & 5 Powerbilt Citations but are pretty beat and have soft shafts so I'm not that interested in them at the moment.

I'm not too sure what I'll do with the partial iron set but who knows, maybe I'll fill it out someday. At least I got myself a respectable Hogan blade 1 iron.

The missing 7,8,9, probably were taken out at one time and never returned to the bag with the rest of the set.

I would leave a means of contact at the check out for the estate sale in case they find the rest of the set sometime later.

Being as I was off today, on a whim the wifey and I stopped by the local GW to poke around and see if there was anything worth getting. They had several bags of clubs, and a barrel of individual irons, and they were either clones/knockoffs or (ironically) they must have had 3 complete sets of 70s-era Northwestern irons and woods with the finish completely worn off them.

I sure would luv to stumble across a set of Wilson irons (with the weight port) from back in my high school days like I had (the ex made off with my originals), but somehow I don't see it happening.

That's how the thrift store game works. Lots of nothing, until you find items of interest. And the taste for the hunt is renewed. Helps to search thrifts located near more affluent neighborhoods with golf courses in the area. Seems as though they receive higher quality donations. Besides GW (and related thrift stores), estate sales can be fertile grounds, and I've found a number of club clubs at Habitat for Humanity Restores for some reason. But as always, clubs are where you find them. if one doesn't occasionally have a look, the results are guaranteed.

Found a set of '74 DynaPowers (weight port) 2 - PW at a thrift some number of years ago. It is possible. Since liquidated as they fell under the two year clause. (Clubs that never see a golf course in two years are sold). While not at thrift store prices, they periodically show up on the Bay. The question then becomes what is it worth to you to recapture some history. Here's what appears to be a quite clean set of '74 Dynapowers.

Ah ha, just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Those Muirfields look a bit different to my RH ones, at least in the short irons. In a good way, but taller and squarer - they look great. Were they special order? Have you compared them to a RH set in the flesh?

Shirly-

To my knowledge, they were not Special Order (and as one who looks very closely, there's an iron missing..)

Yes, the MacGregor RH JNs have a more consistently uniform muscleback throughout the set, with the shorter irons having the most muscle.

Am not sure how many LH JNs were made by MacGregor-

Perhaps we'll ask Patrick Boyd and Don White to fill in the missing one.

Now to me the muscle matches my Muirfields which are not 20th editions. Muirfields are hard to decipher what year they are. Mine are more rounded toe than the 20th. You have to also have a very keen eye and know Macgregor and then the exact year is hard to pinpoint. Good example my original well worn well beloved set of VIPs are for sure 80 remakes because I bought them new in the box in 90 never hit and had paperwork with them. The ones Mitchell sent me (which BTW were pristine too) have a little more rounded toe. Had someone tell me more than likely those were 82s. Most folks will not notice the difference but as many Macgregor clubs as I have looked down at over the years I notice the difference. My Muirfields look just like the same forging as those 82s with of course different finish and stamps. The details on my Muirfields is sketchy because the former owner passed a few years back. I have been told they were custom ordered and then I have been told they were refinished. I tend to think the latter because the trade deal I got them in included a set of 59 FC Diamondbacks which had been refinished losing the ceramic face in the process. My buddy Bear got the Diamondbacks because he loved them and he has given me so much stuff over the years I gave them to him. He is one heck of a carpenter and built a nice display case like the ones those limited edition Nicklaus Diamondback sets come in. He had a fellow visit him one day and saw those and asked where he got those. He told him Stuey. The guy knows me too and said in amazement "you got a set of Macgregors from Stu? he never gets rid of anything Macgregor or a Cleveland wedge for that matter"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I got these from an estate auction house so I guess it's not exactly "Thrift Store", but it's either here or the "No new acquisitions?" thread, which is practically the same thing anyway. The bag was junk but at $3 a club I couldn't pass up the Hogan blades. Get this though: the set is 1 thru Equalizer but missing the 7, 8, & 9 irons. Hmmm... Oh, and they have AMF Apex Pro shafts in 4 flex. They feel quite stout.

I'm not too sure what I'll do with the partial iron set but who knows, maybe I'll fill it out someday. At least I got myself a respectable Hogan blade 1 iron.

Let me look sometime today in my partial set of Cameos and see what I have I may be able to help. I filled out a set for Bear last year like that. He had a partial set and I had enough loose stuff to make a set. He had to have those Cameos since at the time I had acquired a set of Grinds.Let me look later today

Thanks Fella for posting that you saved me the trouble of my non Wilson guru self from looking those up. Found a set late last night at work in one of the bins. Full set too 2 thru PW Victory cords. Wedge is not too bad either. The way they feel they may have regular shafts I do know the 7 iron shaft has been replaced because it is a TT R-300. Also found a newer Mizuno 56* wedge in great shape and like I need another one a rusty Cleveland 588 60*. Now it was about 8:00 last night when I found those and I had a 16 hr day yesterday but for some reason those Staffs set and felt good. They need to be cleaned up but even though I am not a Wilson guru I could not let those go to be destroyed. Who knows I may like them if not I can give them to one of you Wilson guys. After all I have the pricely sum of $1.50 in all of them at scrap prices

MacGregor MT "Tour Forged". 3-10 complete set. They were at the GW that always tends to overprice their stuff. $6.99 a club. I was Googling only to find I had a "set" of these four years back and was asking about them http://www.golfwrx.c...r-forged-irons/

I have one of the wedges just like in the pic you posted> I think I found it on the yard in one of the bins. I do not like the way it sits or the profile and did not really like the way it felt for some odd reason. LOL it is in the Ryder cup wedge bag. Heck it is after all a Macgregor and I can not get rid of it you know unless some one on here wants it

Stu. Can identify the shaft flex by the "Fluid Feel" material in the bore thru hosel. Red = Stiff, Black = Regular.

As I remember my long ago set, they had Ultralite shafts in them that didn't feel all that light. Maybe because they were stiffs, a flex that I do not coexist with anymore.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Rob-

"A set of Wilson Staff "Adjustaback" Dynapower irons." ... At GW?

Good Luck.

Thanks Rex, I guess I could dream, doesn't seem it'll work out.

I wouldn't rule it out- you never know what you'll find at the thrift store, the key is to check often as anything decent is usually snapped up quickly, The biggest problem I've found is most sets are usually missing an iron or two and it's never cheap or easy to round out vintage sets.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Stu. Can identify the shaft flex by the "Fluid Feel" material in the bore thru hosel. Red = Stiff, Black = Regular.

As I remember my long ago set, they had Ultralite shafts in them that didn't feel all that light. Maybe because they were stiffs, a flex that I do not coexist with anymore.

I think they are red but they did not feel that heavy or stiff to me. But then again it was 8:00 last night and I had a 16 hour day. It is raining out right now and they are in the front seat of the mini Bulldog but I will check and get back later. Thanks for the info-- You know I am not exactly a Wilson guru except for JP wedges but these were too nice to let go to destruction and besides they were a full matched set.

BTW Do not feel alone and in the cold me and stiff shafts do not jive anymore either

I've got a quite beaten up set of those. The offset on the longer irons is a little odd, but I like the set a lot. I actually had one of my best irons striking rounds in a long time with them earlier in the year. I was in trouble off the tee quite often, but was blasting my iron shots over trees and huge mounds onto greens I couldn't even see.

Incidentally, mine don't say "Tour Forged" on the hosel and there's no paint on them whatsoever, so I would guess they are a different year from the ones in your picture. I think they were produced from 1980 to 1983.

I think that is why the one wedge does not sit well for me because I have never gotten along with offset. The only club I ever got along with off set on was a Eye 2 1 iron which aint that bad until you compare it to a blade Mac or Hogan. But for some reason I could always hit that thing along with a BECU Pinseeker which was a copy. For some reason when there is offset especially with short irons I tend to hit Mr Senior hosel. I got a nice Cobra Trusty Rusty that I love the feel of and it hits great but has offset. I carried it about 3 weeks then one day in a screw around practice round I hit a hosel rocket with it not once but 3 times. Got into my head bad and right now I can not trust it so into the wedge bag it goes for now and the trusty 588 is back in.

I have one of the wedges just like in the pic you posted> I think I found it on the yard in one of the bins. I do not like the way it sits or the profile and did not really like the way it felt for some odd reason. LOL it is in the Ryder cup wedge bag. Heck it is after all a Macgregor and I can not get rid of it you know unless some one on here wants it

I love my Mac 1025s Cs more than any club I've ever hit in my life, and ever since I acquired them I do consider myself somewhat of a Mac guy.

But like I said when I had that last set of those MT Tour Forged, I still had a game and was still a strong (enough) ball striker, and I still moved on from them, so I am thinking they required Phil Mickelson-like pinpoint striking on face to justify playing them - they must not have been that forgiving at all.

At $6.99 a club I can not justify grabbing them. When the "pink" color code has 75% off day at that GW if they are still there I will try to grab them. They are sexy clubs and as a full set I am sure they would be desirable to someone on eBay. We'll see if they are still there when their color tag gets marked down.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I love my Mac 1025s Cs more than any club I've ever hit in my life, and ever since I acquired them I do consider myself somewhat of a Mac guy.

But like I said when I had that last set of those MT Tour Forged, I still had a game and was still a strong (enough) ball striker, and I still moved on from them, so I am thinking they required Phil Mickelson-like pinpoint striking on face to justify playing them - they must not have been that forgiving at all.

At $6.99 a club I can not justify grabbing them. When the "pink" color code has 75% off day at that GW if they are still there I will try to grab them. They are sexy clubs and as a full set I am sure they would be desirable to someone on eBay. We'll see if they are still there when their color tag gets marked down.

Actually with the right shaft you can get away with more than you think with a blade trust me.

Let me look sometime today in my partial set of Cameos and see what I have I may be able to help. I filled out a set for Bear last year like that. He had a partial set and I had enough loose stuff to make a set. He had to have those Cameos since at the time I had acquired a set of Grinds.Let me look later today

That would be great Stu, thanks!

Fella-- Those WS have red plugs in the bottom and it is the 3 iron shaft that is labeled R-300. One other interesting thing is that the shafts have a black band about 2 inches or so from the bottom. That 3 iron is definitely a R-300 because I measured and counted the steps and measured the last step. But it is an older design and someone did use a red plug on it

Sorry, but that's incorrect.

Wilson used red plugs in all of its Staff irons from 1962 forward, unless it was a special order or limited edition item (such as the 80s remake of the 1965 Staff that Edwin Watts sold. Those had black plugs). The black plugs went in the X-31 and the Haig Ultra models.

They usually had a band on the shaft that indicated shaft flex. Black for regular. Red for stiff. Green for x-stiff.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

I had another great find today. I saw this bag sitting outside of a small thrift shop that I rarely go to as I was driving by. Needless to say I had to stop and check it out. It's a nice set of 78 Apex irons and woods. There's also an Apex II 1 iron, a MacGregor driver, a few random Tommy Armour 845's and this leather Tommy Armour bag, all for $10. I couldn't pass it up. I'm starting to feel a little greedy though, this is my fourth set of these, two frosted back and two shiny. I posted pictures of a set of the frosted backs a few weeks ago when I found them at Goodwill. I think I'm going to have to let one or two of these sets go, but that's hard for the hoarder in me.

I had another great find today. I saw this bag sitting outside of a small thrift shop that I rarely go to as I was driving by. Needless to say I had to stop and check it out. It's a nice set of 78 Apex irons and woods. There's also an Apex II 1 iron, a MacGregor driver, a few random Tommy Armour 845's and this leather Tommy Armour bag, all for $10. I couldn't pass it up. I'm starting to feel a little greedy though, this is my fourth set of these, two frosted back and two shiny. I posted pictures of a set of the frosted backs a few weeks ago when I found them at Goodwill. I think I'm going to have to let one or two of these sets go, but that's hard for the hoarder in me.

WOW for $10 man you stole that--- But then again someone thought "well these are Uncle Harry's old clubs and that is a wood wood" See what some sucker will pay you for them.

^^^^^^^ The times I've gone into the GW I found clubs that would make good paperweights. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and find some gems.

It helps when you literally have two dozen (give or take) Goodwills (not to mention countless other thrifts) within a 20 mile radius of yourself, like we have here in the TC. Some of them are located in some of the highest per-capita income areas in the entire country here.

Plus you have to be relentless and do it often and regularly. One day you go in a store, might be nothing there - next day, there will be a set you can flip for $150.00.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP