Thrift Store Jackpot

Found a "New" Driver today for a few bucks. mcgregor EYE - O - MATIC Tourney M75W. Have no idea how old this is but it seems to hit better than my Hogan H-40 Pat. Pending metal driver.

Man oh man nice!! Right up my alley back in the day I loved a black refinished driver. Then I got into blonde finished drivers. That driver just as it is screams intimadation

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Those clubs are so nice, look very much, if not the same as the Nicklaus Murifields. Question, have those shafts been changed? Reason I ask is those shaft bands. I just don't remember those from back in the day. Regardless, very nice score.

All 1000 of these commemorative sets were made the way Curtis played his irons, with DG S400. These are as original as it gets.

Correct my wedge has a S-400--- Mine has a lot more offset than any other VIP wedge I have ever seen

Those clubs are so nice, look very much, if not the same as the Nicklaus Murifields. Question, have those shafts been changed? Reason I ask is those shaft bands. I just don't remember those from back in the day. Regardless, very nice score.

All 1000 of these commemorative sets were made the way Curtis played his irons, with DG S400. These are as original as it gets.

Correct my wedge has a S-400--- Mine has a lot more offset than any other VIP wedge I have ever seen

Can't stand offset in a wedge. Is that how he preferred them?

My favorite wedge is a Wilson SW that actually has some onset

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

^^^^^ Do not really know-- I think that one may have been an experimental one of his----- Got to thinking (and that is dangerous) that my wedge may have been Don White ground since it was one of his personal wedges. I do not like a lot of offset period in anything except a Ping 1 iron. Wedges I tend to s**nk them. Mid irons I tend to rope hook. Yep I have some crazy tendencies

Stu,

Always amazed me how so many great wedge players (Trevino, Olazabal, Langer, Furyk) like a bunch of offset in higher lofted clubs, apparently so could keep some bounce and forward shaft lean for sketchy lies while still keeping ability to loft it softly. Personally, not a fan of offset at all either, doesn't fit what I like to see or my delivery of clubhead to ball- like always, whatever works! Guess we are both a bit mental. :)

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I know I should have stayed away from the thrift store , but wife and my youngest were at the movie , so I stopped by the local thrift store after visiting the local golf stores.

Found a not so vintage Callaway S2H2 2 iron in the bin. I have a set of the S2H2 irons 3-PW bought it brand new when it came out ( think it was in the mid 80's). This 2 iron was reshafted from the std Memphis 10 to TTDG, the shaft band was rubber off where the flex number should be. Judging from the feel, it would be either an X-100 or S-400. I was not going to ... but at $1.99.... the face and the sole in very good condition. What the hack.

And a bright red, velvet.fur Ping wood cover for 99 cents, looks like new.......which is a perfect cover for my 5 wood..

I was careful to put the cover on the 2 iron before I slide it in the back of the SUV, so it won't make any noise on our way home..............

Found a "New" Driver today for a few bucks. mcgregor EYE - O - MATIC Tourney M75W. Have no idea how old this is but it seems to hit better than my Hogan H-40 Pat. Pending metal driver.

Man oh man nice!! Right up my alley back in the day I loved a black refinished driver. Then I got into blonde finished drivers. That driver just as it is screams intimadation

Hits as good as it looks!

The Bag Boy pull cart is made of aluminium but still heavy for it's size. Lasts forever !

Did it say Mike Souchak on the back of the MacGregor irons ? It'll be the signature series ?

The set would look nice if cleaned up a bit.

The Bag Boy pull cart is made of aluminium but still heavy for it's size. Lasts forever !

Did it say Mike Souchak on the back of the MacGregor irons ? It'll be the signature series ?

The set would look nice if cleaned up a bit.

Yes, on the back. I already promised them to a friend for what I bought them for but keeping the driver.

Cleaned a couple and they do look nice!

Someone needs to tell these Thrift Store managers to instruct their workers not to throw away PW of these older sets of irons, even the PW often will show the most wear. some buyers ( like some of us ) would like to have the PW as a complete set for refinishing..

The set would be broken up forever if the worn PW is tossed into the garbage by these "care takers ".

Someone needs to tell these Thrift Store managers to instruct their workers not to throw away PW of these older sets of irons, even the PW often will show the most wear. some buyers ( like some of us ) would like to have the PW as a complete set for refinishing..

The set would be broken up forever if the worn PW is tossed into the garbage by these "care takers ".

The less thrift store manager know about golf clubs the better, in my opinion.

You get some of these guys in the back of Goodwill thinking they are pricing stuff right and you find these old Warbirds marked at like $19.99. Crazy stuff.

There's been more than a few times I wanted to have a word with whoever is the overlord of pricing in the back rooms at Goodwills.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

You get some of these guys in the back of Goodwill thinking they are pricing stuff right and you find these old Warbirds marked at like $19.99. Crazy stuff.

There's been more than a few times I wanted to have a word with whoever is the overlord of pricing in the back rooms at Goodwills.

I did exactly that a few years ago . I kept seeing some old Callaway golf clubs in the bun week after week. I asked around to find out whom was pricing these. The guy in charge told me that he look up the price on the internet and 50% of that would be their asking price.

I told the guy bluntly that the price listed was not the selling price because those listings were still around for a long time. I also told hi that if they received the golf club for nothing, price it correctly to move it so they didn't have to worry about the shelve space.

That particular store took my advise and move the golf clubs pretty speedy vs. other stores.

Throwing away a brat up PW to break a set is sinful, in my opinion. many parts of the old club could be recycled, like the shaft grip collar/end cap...

What I had seen in the market place is too many of these broken up sets.

Just picked these up $20. Anybody know anything about this set?

That PB driver is the last of the persimmons and it was built in what I call the overlap era between persimmon and metal. Note the TPS designation and graphite shaft. Note Randy that Penna you gave me with the factory Aldila Penna shaft is from that same era late 80s early 90s.

Stu,

Always amazed me how so many great wedge players (Trevino, Olazabal, Langer, Furyk) like a bunch of offset in higher lofted clubs, apparently so could keep some bounce and forward shaft lean for sketchy lies while still keeping ability to loft it softly. Personally, not a fan of offset at all either, doesn't fit what I like to see or my delivery of clubhead to ball- like always, whatever works! Guess we are both a bit mental. :)

That is about like the Original Phil Rogers Trusty Rusty Cobra I found on the pile one day (no joke) It had quite a bit of offset compared to a 588. Gamed it for several weeks then hit 3 sha**s in a row with it. It is in the wedge bag in the shop saw it this morning. I KNOW I am a head case

I did exactly that a few years ago . I kept seeing some old Callaway golf clubs in the bun week after week. I asked around to find out whom was pricing these. The guy in charge told me that he look up the price on the internet and 50% of that would be their asking price.

I told the guy bluntly that the price listed was not the selling price because those listings were still around for a long time. I also told hi that if they received the golf club for nothing, price it correctly to move it so they didn't have to worry about the shelve space.

That particular store took my advise and move the golf clubs pretty speedy vs. other stores.

Throwing away a brat up PW to break a set is sinful, in my opinion. many parts of the old club could be recycled, like the shaft grip collar/end cap...

Yeah, I mean, they see "CALLAWAY" or "PING" or "TAYLORMADE" on anything - no matter what variation and how valuable (or lacking in value) - and it doesn't matter, they still automatically slap an offensively overpriced tag on it.

Like you, I would just like to give them some advice as most of the time these overpriced old OEM clubs will just wind up sitting in their store for weeks, or some times months. See it happen all the time.

But my Scandinavian half though is just like let them overprice it and let it sit there, it is their store... and I honestly just kind of laugh at some of the overpriced stuff anyway.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Stu,

That is about like the Original Phil Rogers Trusty Rusty Cobra I found on the pile one day (no joke) It had quite a bit of offset compared to a 588. Gamed it for several weeks then hit 3 sha**s in a row with it. It is in the wedge bag in the shop saw it this morning. I KNOW I am a head case

Then you need one of these:

Yeah, I mean, they see "CALLAWAY" or "PING" or "TAYLORMADE" on anything - no matter what variation and how valuable (or lacking in value) - and it doesn't matter, they still automatically slap an offensively overpriced tag on it.

Like you, I would just like to give them some advice as most of the time these overpriced old OEM clubs will just wind up sitting in their store for weeks, or some times months. See it happen all the time.

But my Scandinavian half though is just like let them overprice it and let it sit there, it is their store... and I honestly just kind of laugh at some of the overpriced stuff anyway.

Hey---you've been scoring so well from the outside low priced bin, you shouldn't worry about things like sticker price.

Stu,

Thanks Augie you just made me throw breakfast up!!!! :tomato: :rofl: Seriously how are you guys holding or should I say holeing up?

Ha. Been there, seen that. Stupid pricing on clubs that will never sell. One's that I wouldn't pay $1.00 for even with carrying a "brand" name. Case in point recently, an old TM Burner Driver with bubble shaft that was priced at $24.95. Just chuckled to myself. On the whole, it's their joint, they can price items as they chose.

For my part, I do not want to educate the "pricers" on the ways of internet research. How to determine golf stuff MV. Because the only value to be found in scrounging around for old golf clubs is when the purveyors don't have a clue what they have or how to price it. And bargains can be had on the cheap.

And forgive me because I have sinned lately. Been in need of a TT Dynamic 8 iron R shaft for awhile. To replace a reshaft one in a Wilson Staff. Finally found one as part of a complete set of X-31's. I thought of the commentary around here as I sheepishly grabbed the needed item and left the remainder. I paid the $3.00 and quickly left the premises as not to be recognized for committing such an unseemly transgression. Gotta do what you have to on occasion.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ha. Been there, seen that. Stupid pricing on clubs that will never sell. One's that I wouldn't pay $1.00 for even with carrying a "brand" name. Case in point recently, an old TM Burner Driver with bubble shaft that was priced at $24.95. Just chuckled to myself. On the whole, it's their joint, they can price items as they chose.

For my part, I do not want to educate the "pricers" on the ways of internet research. How to determine golf stuff MV. Because the only value to be found in scrounging around for old golf clubs is when the purveyors don't have a clue what they have or how to price it. And bargains can be had on the cheap.

And forgive me because I have sinned lately. Been in need of a TT Dynamic 8 iron R shaft for awhile. To replace a reshaft one in a Wilson Staff. Finally found one as part of a complete set of X-31's. I thought of the commentary around here as I sheepishly grabbed the needed item and left the remainder. I paid the $3.00 and quickly left the premises as not to be recognized for committing such an unseemly transgression. Gotta do what you have to on occasion.

Seems that someone here was looking for a set of x-31's. Can't think who, but if it comes to me, I'll ask them to get in touch with you, as they can always get another shaft for the 8-iron, but they were looking for a full set of irons anyway.

Stu,

Thanks Augie you just made me throw breakfast up!!!! :tomato: :rofl: Seriously how are you guys holding or should I say holeing up?

Winds picking up a bit now - I would say pretty constant at 25 +/- - and beginning to rain in bands. Got me all the candles and hurricane lamps out and ready.

Ice bags filled - food cooked and prepped. We still have power, but there are areas within 30 miles beginning to report outages already.

Winds just kicked up to probably around 35 or so, and a large rain shower.

Just the usual hurricane stuff!

How's about you? I see you are bored, like me, and are doing the internet thing (while we still have power and internet)

Got my books lined up for when the power goes.

Sounds like all you "preppers" have done about all you can do. Now just spending the time waiting for the worst to commence. Good luck. Thinking about ya'll. And if you are to suddenly cease posting on the day (I've noted the higher than usual traffic form both you and Stu), hope it's only because you've gone off the grid. And not been washed out to sea.

Not trying to make light of your pending situation in the least. Just that I have no idea what the "usual hurricane stuff' is all about. How about some meteorologically appropriate music for the circumstances.

[media=]

[/media]

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs