2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

Once a club ho, always a club ho. To pass the time we went to an old junk/flea market/antique store down the road.

Could have stayed all day just browsing and talking to the caretaker.

Asked him about the possibility of any old golf clubs.

Got a few upstairs under the stairwell, watch your step, their off to the left when you reach the attic.

Like most places a mix of good and bad. Too many missing clubs to form full sets.

Hmmm some interesting persimmons sitting in the corner.

I walked out with a 1,5, and 7 Hiro Honma, and an older Wilson PW for $12.00.

Will post pics later.

Someone needs to tell these Thrift Store managers to instruct their workers not to throw away PW of these older sets of irons, even the PW often will show the most wear. some buyers ( like some of us ) would like to have the PW as a complete set for refinishing..

The set would be broken up forever if the worn PW is tossed into the garbage by these "care takers ".

The less thrift store manager know about golf clubs the better, in my opinion.

You get some of these guys in the back of Goodwill thinking they are pricing stuff right and you find these old Warbirds marked at like $19.99. Crazy stuff.

There's been more than a few times I wanted to have a word with whoever is the overlord of pricing in the back rooms at Goodwills.

I did exactly that a few years ago . I kept seeing some old Callaway golf clubs in the bun week after week. I asked around to find out whom was pricing these. The guy in charge told me that he look up the price on the internet and 50% of that would be their asking price.

I told the guy bluntly that the price listed was not the selling price because those listings were still around for a long time. I also told hi that if they received the golf club for nothing, price it correctly to move it so they didn't have to worry about the shelve space.

That particular store took my advise and move the golf clubs pretty speedy vs. other stores.

Throwing away a brat up PW to break a set is sinful, in my opinion. many parts of the old club could be recycled, like the shaft grip collar/end cap...

What I had seen in the market place is too many of these broken up sets.

Yeah, I mean, they see "CALLAWAY" or "PING" or "TAYLORMADE" on anything - no matter what variation and how valuable (or lacking in value) - and it doesn't matter, they still automatically slap an offensively overpriced tag on it.

Like you, I would just like to give them some advice as most of the time these overpriced old OEM clubs will just wind up sitting in their store for weeks, or some times months. See it happen all the time.

But my Scandinavian half though is just like let them overprice it and let it sit there, it is their store... and I honestly just kind of laugh at some of the overpriced stuff anyway.

Ha. Been there, seen that. Stupid pricing on clubs that will never sell. One's that I wouldn't pay $1.00 for even with carrying a "brand" name. Case in point recently, an old TM Burner Driver with bubble shaft that was priced at $24.95. Just chuckled to myself. On the whole, it's their joint, they can price items as they chose.

For my part, I do not want to educate the "pricers" on the ways of internet research. How to determine golf stuff MV. Because the only value to be found in scrounging around for old golf clubs is when the purveyors don't have a clue what they have or how to price it. And bargains can be had on the cheap.

And forgive me because I have sinned lately. Been in need of a TT Dynamic 8 iron R shaft for awhile. To replace a reshaft one in a Wilson Staff. Finally found one as part of a complete set of X-31's. I thought of the commentary around here as I sheepishly grabbed the needed item and left the remainder. I paid the $3.00 and quickly left the premises as not to be recognized for committing such an unseemly transgression. Gotta do what you have to on occasion.

especially considering I've been asking for a set of x31's for a while now... :(

Ughhh

So I sold the Hoganardi on eBay and was auspicious of the buyer from the start. Sure enough today I get a message claiming the hosel is bent.

His name on eBay is "ibustresellers" which I should have taken as a sign.

cc0kzUJl.png

RVLScgml.png

He hasn't started a dispute yet, just sent me a message.

What are you asking?

Was the putter like that when you listed it/shipped it?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Not to my knowledge. Just stressed over it. First negative thing I've ever had. I took pictures of it just before the listing and then packed it. I didn't take a picture of the specific angles he did but didn't think it was needed. Sorry I'm just venting.

I found the listing. From the pics it looks like it might have been bent a tad. Did he bend it more?

s-l1600.jpg

I would tell him to send it back to you and then issue a full refund. Then, personally, I would get a rubber golf shaft clamp, toss it in a vice, and just carefully bend it back to normal and then resell it.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Thank you for the advice. I just wasn't sure where to start. I'll see what he wants to do and give him the full refund if it comes to that.

Just the issue and the name just rub me the wrong way.

I would get the putter back. For sure. There are all sorts of ways a buyer or seller can find themselves in a situation like this. Been through a lot on eBay over the years. They can extort you (happened to me); they could ask you for partial refund or a full refund and demand you allow them to keep the putter.

You just never know what sort of person you are dealing with. Always be respectful because since eBay changed their feedback policy years ago only a buyer can leave negative feedback, and you don't want that.

eBay should give you the oppurtunity to send person a link with prepaid postage to ship the item back. Tell them you would like it back and that you'd be happy to refund their money. If you lose $10-20 on shipping, it is what it is. You can still get the putter back and resell it.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Thank you for the advice. I just wasn't sure where to start. I'll see what he wants to do and give him the full refund if it comes to that.

Just the issue and the name just rub me the wrong way.

Also for future reference, if you suspect in any way a putter hossel might be "off" - just do yourself a favor and take pictures of said putter from any and all pertinent angles and let the photos speak for themselves. It's always the best way to do it.

Dings, dents...any and all imperfections I try to make very clear in all photos so as to not leave any opening for critique/criticism of any club I sell/ship on eBay.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Ughhh

So I sold the Hoganardi on eBay and was auspicious of the buyer from the start. Sure enough today I get a message claiming the hosel is bent.

cc0kzUJl.png

RVLScgml.png

What are you asking?

Tell him to send it back. Then block him quick like. Some people are POS.

As far as previously uploaded images go, I'm not sure what, if anything can be done to rotate the image. I use a Chromebook, and have found that the site automatically rotates images 90*, even when they appear normal on my Chromebook. I preemptively rotate images, either 360* or 90* and back with my photo editor and they then appear normally when I upload them to the site, why I don't know.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Ughhh

cc0kzUJl.png

RVLScgml.png

What are you asking?

Well, that putter is definitely bent, the OP can't definitively say it wasn't when he shipped it, and photos in the listing are inconclusive , so I don't see how that automatically makes this buyer the bad guy. Maybe it was bent in the course of shipping- these soft alloy putters bend if you look at them funny. Half the Bullseyes I buy sit funny and need to be massaged back to straight. If I were in the buyer's shoes and was expecting a putter in good, playable condition, I'd damn sure point out a bent hosel. Regardless, if he wants to return it, eBay will likely side with him.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Ughhh

cc0kzUJl.png

RVLScgml.png

What are you asking?

Well, that putter is definitely bent, the OP can't definitively say it wasn't when he shipped it, and photos in the listing are inconclusive , so I don't see how that automatically makes this buyer the bad guy. Maybe it was bent in the course of shipping- these soft alloy putters bend if you look at them funny. Half the Bullseyes I buy sit funny and need to be massaged back to straight. If I were in the buyer's shoes and was expecting a putter in good, playable condition, I'd damn sure point out a bent hosel. Regardless, if he wants to return it, eBay will likely side with him.

eBay will definitely side with the buyer no matter what. 100% Guarantee if your not happy get your money back. Just tell the guy to ship it back. Have him start a return through eBay and if you have your settings for the buyer to pay return shipping he should have to pay for return shipping.

Today's haul from Play It Again Sports

Current;y bagging an A-Blade which I purchased long ago at a Pro Shop on a military base golf course.

I had added weight to it so it'll feel like a modern putter. 10 gm hosel tip weight, plus 4 gm. lead tape. Balanced with 12 gm. of weight inside the shaft under the grip.

Feels balanced and heavy.

Today's haul from Play It Again Sports

20180917_112137.jpg

I sold one of those ChipOs on eBay a couple years ago for a decent flip.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I found an interesting "Sunshine" putter. It kind of looks like a Ping, but it's not a Ping. $3.

Also found some Tour Model BeCu "Copperhead" 3-PW. $12

Those Copperheads look a lot like my Precision II Dictator BeCu irons. I wouldn't be surprised if they were cast in the same foundry.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

How likely is it to find Dynamic Gold shafts in cheap, bargain thrift bins?? I really want to be able get my hands on couple for less than 10$ because buying online, one pays as much or more in shipping than the value of the shaft itself. I'll just ditch the grips and heads unless they warrant saving.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

How likely is it to find Dynamic Gold shafts in cheap, bargain thrift bins?? I really want to be able get my hands on couple for less than 10$ because buying online, one pays as much or more in shipping than the value of the shaft itself. I'll just ditch the grips and heads unless they warrant saving.

Very likely in my opinion, you should have no trouble finding them

^^^Cool, if I can get 2 short irons for under 15$ in the right flex, R300/400 it'll save me 25$ with the shipping and full cost. Trying to soft step my wedges a tad as an experiment.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I found an interesting "Sunshine" putter. It kind of looks like a Ping, but it's not a Ping. $3.

Also found some Tour Model BeCu "Copperhead" 3-PW. $12

Those Copperheads look a lot like my Precision II Dictator BeCu irons. I wouldn't be surprised if they were cast in the same foundry.

It's definitely possible. There were probably foundries specifically dedicated to making Ping Eye 2 clone component heads back in the day.