Thrift Store Jackpot

speaking of shiny.

these Executive MV2's are sparkling.

this is the 6i.

also included pics of the driver and the 3 1/2 wood.

have driver, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 3i to the PW.

they are aluminum shafted.

grips are GP 50th anniversary models.

the middle wood has some light deterioration of the poly coat on the top, maybe one day I'll send it out.

otherwise, a set to be proud of.

glad to share with my friends here.

I do not know when Spalding was founded but I think those were around the 70 to 72 era if I remember correctly. Those years saw a lot of clubs come with the "newfangled' aluminum shafts

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Alpha made some great drivers over the years. I got a Alpha Reaction 400CC out of a clearance bin at 2ndswing years ago and I couldn't figure out why I could hit it a country mile. I later found out (or believe) that the 10.5* was actually a non-conforming clubhead.

I remember hearing about that--- I had an Alpha either 3 or 4 wood can't remember which that I could bomb but not control. I may still have it in the building across the street or I may have given it away or traded it.

I picked up a Alpha 5w last summer and absolutley love the club. Its my go to off the tee.

speaking of shiny.

this is the 6i.

the middle wood has some light deterioration of the poly coat on the top, maybe one day I'll send it out.

I do not know when Spalding was founded but I think those were around the 70 to 72 era if I remember correctly. Those years saw a lot of clubs come with the "newfangled' aluminum shafts

Stu, in your experience, what is the reliability of these shafts.?

the set is matched , labeled Spalding Professional, Medium, which I'd presumed was Regular flex.

I've been hesitant to go out and really give them a workout.

thanks in advance for your comments.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

the set is matched , labeled Spalding Professional, Medium, which I'd presumed was Regular flex.

Sorry for chiming in, but I've got a set of irons (Golfcraft Joe Kirkwood Personal Models) with aluminium shafts. They appear to have been made by True Temper. I just got them regripped, and gave them a hit in the net at the shop. At first I was a bit tentative, but the shafts actually felt pretty stout. In fact, what I liked was that they felt very stiff in the short irons, but had a nice kick to them in the longer irons.

I'm a bit wary of taking them out in very cold weather, but when spring comes round they'll definitely be taken out and played.

speaking of shiny.

this is the 6i.

Depends on your Swing Speed now--- It has been years since I have hit an aluminum shafted iron. The last ones I ever hit were back when i was about 13 or so. My old man had gotten me a set of 67 Patty Berg Wilson Staff irons and woods. Played them for about a year or so and got to hooking them bad. Between the ages of 13 and 15 i gained a lot of strength and swing speed. But now you have me wondering since I have went the light soft shafts and graphite shafts if Aluminum shafts may be ok for me now. Interesting food for thought

Picked up a set of those irons last year at an employee garage sale for $5, minus the 7 iron if I recall. Your 975 was and still is legit!. Played one for a good bit when they came out and have many good memories. Well done.

Where you been old buddy--- Thought about you played the old FCs the other day in a walking round--- Funny thing is I had a driver in the stash that matched the other woods to a tee---- But I have been having some back issues and this time of the year the Old Pro Pel 2s are a little rough for me. That 11 iron is one heck of a wedge in fact have it in with my Precisions.

That 11 played well from the around the greens the few times I had part of the set along for the walk. I've been rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery this Fall and have been more collecting than playing. May shoot you a PM regarding a little project you might enjoy.

Picked up a set of those irons last year at an employee garage sale for $5, minus the 7 iron if I recall. Your 975 was and still is legit!. Played one for a good bit when they came out and have many good memories. Well done.

Where you been old buddy--- Thought about you played the old FCs the other day in a walking round--- Funny thing is I had a driver in the stash that matched the other woods to a tee---- But I have been having some back issues and this time of the year the Old Pro Pel 2s are a little rough for me. That 11 iron is one heck of a wedge in fact have it in with my Precisions.

That 11 played well from the around the greens the few times I had part of the set along for the walk. I've been rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery this Fall and have been more collecting than playing. May shoot you a PM regarding a little project you might enjoy.

Ok shoot on

Found this golf related gem at a local thrift store and got 50% off as a senior discount so paid $1.50 for it.

It reminds me of watching golf before all the bleachers came into being.

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]

speaking of shiny.

this is the 6i.

the Spalding irons are late sixties I believe! Same time frame every club maker jumped on the aluminum shaft craze. Saw a set the other dain really bad condition. I think they were mad with steel also after the aluminum.

Play It Again Sports today - $70. Jackpot! Rare to find older irons with the original grips and shaft labels all minty.

Oh my.... Fantastic find!

Not quite the same condition but in your locale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163413673118

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Wasn't going to post about a recent find as I didn't think they were "classic" enough. And were not a thrift store find. Rather an estate sale find a week ago. But SD broke the ice. Not wanting this to be a case of one-up-manship. Or comparing acquisitions. Nevertheless.

Scored this bag of clubs. Ping i3 O-Size, JZ Kushin shafts, original grips, 1 (!) - SW. Couple of nondescript older Adams metals, a Carbite putter and a nice Izzo stand bag. They have not been played in a long time. Everything is very dusty and dirty, needing a good cleanup. The irons and bag are in very good nick (perfect British slang for describing condition). Have been scouting around for a decent stand bag that I could use when heading to the range for a swat.

Really didn't want nor need any more golf clubs at this time. They were not priced. Fully expected the seller would say something north of $100, at which point I could have easily passed. But he said $40, I said how about $35, sold. What's a fella to do? Likely sell them off in the spring. They are black dot, which is to flat for me (green dot). An obligatory pic, still in the "as found" condition. Haven't had time to clean everything up yet. There's no rush.

In the thrift store find category. Most of the golf clubs are long gone for the season. With that said, did find a couple of choice items a couple weeks back. A Mac Reg M85 Colokrom reissue SW that adds the club to my existing set of Colo's. Oddly, it's stamped "Colokrom", but does not have the copper face. Also, an original 60's era Wilson Sandy Andy SW. Nice shape overall, but some rust to be removed. Seemed to be a worthwhile acquisition of a club with a certain provenance in the classical realm. This thing is heavy! Couple bucks a piece. No pics.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Wasn't going to post about a recent find as I didn't think they were "classic" enough. And were not a thrift store find. Rather an estate sale find a week ago. But SD broke the ice. Not wanting this to be a case of one-up-manship. Or comparing acquisitions. Nevertheless.

Scored this bag of clubs. Ping i3 O-Size, JZ Kushin shafts, original grips, 1 (!) - SW. Couple of nondescript older Adams metals, a Carbite putter and a nice Izzo stand bag. They have not been played in a long time. Everything is very dusty and dirty, needing a good cleanup. The irons and bag are in very good nick (perfect British slang for describing condition). Have been scouting around for a decent stand bag that I could use when heading to the range for a swat.

Really didn't want nor need any more golf clubs at this time. They were not priced. Fully expected the seller would say something north of $100, at which point I could have easily passed. But he said $40, I said how about $35, sold. What's a fella to do? Likely sell them off in the spring. They are black dot, which is to flat for me (green dot). An obligatory pic, still in the "as found" condition. Haven't had time to clean everything up yet. There's no rush.

In the thrift store find category. Most of the golf clubs are long gone for the season. With that said, did find a couple of choice items a couple weeks back. A Mac Reg M85 Colokrom reissue SW that adds the club to my existing set of Colo's. Oddly, it's stamped "Colokrom", but does not have the copper face. Also, an original 60's era Wilson Sandy Andy SW. Nice shape overall, but some rust to be removed. Seemed to be a worthwhile acquisition of a club with a certain provenance in the classical realm. This thing is heavy! Couple bucks a piece. No pics.

Is it my imagination or do those i3's have a pronounced keel on the sole? It's quite obvious on the 3 iron in the photo. Strangely enough, I see no such evidence of a keel on the set that sdandrea has scored upthread. Subtle differences in model year?

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Found this golf related gem at a local thrift store and got 50% off as a senior discount so paid $1.50 for it.

It reminds me of watching golf before all the bleachers came into being.

I think they call that a shooting seat. Very cool!

I do believe you are right about that. I just remember seeing them in old golf clips when fans where carrying them or using them. The ones I remember had a leather seat. Thanks for jogging my brain cells.

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]

Sco. Not sure what you mean by "keel". The notched hosel? Think this was the first irons from Ping that had this feature. Surprisingly, these were labeled as oversized. Suppose they were, when compared to the i3 Blade. But they appear no bigger than the i20's. If anything, a bit tidier in the overall execution and narrower in the sole. More offset in the i3.

Sco. Not sure what you mean by "keel". The notched hosel? Think this was the first irons from Ping that had this feature. Surprisingly, these were labeled as oversized. Suppose they were, when compared to the i3 Blade. But they appear no bigger than the i20's. If anything, a bit tidier in the overall execution and narrower in the sole. Not sure if this captures what you're referring to. 7 irons, i3 left, i20 right. More offset in the i3.

Nope. The keel is in the hull of a boat. If we're talking sailboat, then it will be like a fin to keep the boat upright and offset the impact of wind in the sail. A keel in a golf club is a shaping of the sole such that it is highest in the middle not unlike the Warbird sole from Callaway or the Raylor sole from Taylormade. Your i3 irons appear to have a keel mid sole which is most obvious in the photo on the 3 iron.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Gotcha. Another attempt. Three different Pings 4 irons (as low as I can go in all three) that I have on hand showing horizontal sole radius (aka "keel"). Top to bottom: ISI, i3, i20. The 3 and 20 are virtually the same, wouldn't call it pronounced.

There you have it; an optical illusion!

Jeez, those i3's look almost exactly like i20's from the face!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

There you have it; an optical illusion!

Jeez, those i3's look almost exactly like i20's from the face!

Things really haven't changed much, yes?

There's probably been a bigger change in shaft technology than head technology in terms of the total package. It really doesn't look like a whole lot has changed since the advent of i3/G2 until the hollow head technology introduced this year if looking at Ping irons specifically.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Here's what changed: Ping put a ferrule on the latest model irons -

Question for fellaheen - do you have any K-1's? Those irons have absolutely zero deviation on the "keel" - flat toe to heel, front to back, with a leading edge sharp enough to s*** your wrists with on a shanked shot...but, still remarkable clubs, especially when they first came out!

Question for fellaheen - do you have any K-1's? Those irons have absolutely zero deviation on the "keel" - flat toe to heel, front to back, with a leading edge sharp enough to s*** your wrists with on a shanked shot...but, still remarkable clubs, especially when they first came out!

which do you think were the best sets of the KARSTEN series and original EYEs?

which do you think were the best sets of the KARSTEN series and original EYEs?

I am extremely partial to the K-1's, but I also believe that they were the most difficult of all the Ping iterations to play.

They have/had absolutely no camber and/or radius (what has been referred to here as "keel") on the soles; very sharp leading edges; no relief grind on the backs of the heads; and the extremely hard nature of 17-4 ph stainless steel doesn't provide much feedback, and is (at times) prone to "flyers" - I know....I've hit my share, some at very inopportune times.

They also (to me) were clubs that made the iron game much easier for me, as my point in development during my youth. I could suddenly hit an iron longer than a 6-iron without a 85 yard slice/push. I got to the point where I was a pretty strong long-iron player, again - due to the nature of the club's design. Easy to get airborne, offset helping to promote a straighter ball flight, etc.

But, it didn't take Karsten Solheim too long to begin to modify the K-1 design, offering the beginnings of camber/radius in the shorter irons shortly after introducing the color coding, with additional improvements (?) as the K-2, -3, and -4 were introduced.

But, as these later designs were put into production, a great deal of loft alteration began to occur, which caused many to be turned off to the other improvements offered.

From the original K-1, the design without the camber/radius/loft alterations - I could begin to hit at least one club less into most holes, and sometimes even less. Was this due to a difference in loft, or in the nature of the "harder" 17-4 stainless? I don't know, and really didn't care, as I dialed in my irons pretty quickly.

I will say that, with the introduction of the Spalding Top-Flite ball shortly after the K-1's came out...you could hit the ball even further than ever! I could easily fly a 9-iron 150 yards (actually measured, and not downwind). The problem came in stopping the ball, as the surlyn cover just didn't spin like balata. And, using the Top-Flite, or any of the other quickly introduced surlyn covered balls from other manufacturers, like the Titleist DT; Wilson ProStaff; Dunlop/Maxfli Blue Max - distance was there, but spin wasn't.

And, suddenly, the "ball mark" issue on greens exploded. Golfers hit their shots into the greens, where the ball made a big mark...but, jumped forward, and usually ran to the back of the greens. So, the golfer would either drive their cart, or drag their pull cart, to the back of the green to play their next shot, and never got to the area where their ball actually landed, and made a large ball mark.

Trust me - I'm old enough to have seen it happen, and it happened just like that.

I never cared for the Eye model, which had, at the time, the greatest camber/radius in any Ping iron design to date, especially relating to the heal to toe measure. So, they became exceptionally better for the average golfer to play due to a better turf interaction. However, they also became much shallower from the sole to the top of the face, and I didn't particularly like that feature. While I didn't like it, that design did make it easier for the average golfer.

Shortly after the Eye came to market, the true game changer - the Eye 2 was introduced, and the iron game was changed light years once again. And I believe that there was an even larger leap technology wise than what was experienced from the introduction of the K-1.

Again...I didn't care for the Eye 2, but it is, without a doubt, the most popular game improvement iron ever.

Much of what also added to the leap of popularity of these irons was the introduction of a shaft other than their "TTT" shaft option, which was really nothing more than a True Temper Dynamic step pattern, made of a heavier steel.

So....having learned/developed on heavier heads/shafts, I have always personally preferred the original iteration K-1. And by "heavier"...again, a relative term. Swing weight on my K-1's from my youth was C-9, while my PowerBilt driver was in the E range, before a few refinishes, finally settling in around a middle D weight.

Hope my take on the history of Ping "Vintage" irons hasn't put too many people to sleep....

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Nope. No K-1's, nor have I ever swung one. Did mishit a Mac Tourney CF4000 M2 once. The head simply stopped moving when contacting the ground. My wrists hurt for two days after.