Thrift Store Jackpot

Thanks all for the intel on the "game improvement blade" axials. Good to know the black dot is Std lie.

One range session says they are friendlier than the FC4000 (although that club is awesome when hit pure). And axial not too far off ping i200 in some ways, but certainly with more feedback and ball movement. I was enjoying the axial more.

I will look for these complimentary watson wedges...

I have a 58*14 Ram Tom Watson wedge that could be yours.

That Rossie may very well be a first edition of Odyssey putters. Pre-insert model. Odyssey began creating putters in 1991, introducing the Rossie 1 & 2. Interesting they call it Stronomic, always thought the name referred to the insert material. And with the graphite shaft (appears to be a single bend no less), perhaps a uniquely rare model. Nice pickup.

I've seen that putter before here at a shop in MN. I can't recall which one (it might have been a PIA or it might have been 2ndSwing) but I've seen it before and always thought just like you about it.

unit is milled and the head is one piece with no insert. yes Felleheen, one bend to the shaft.

gave the head a go-over with some light polish. shaft and grip are very fine.

unrolled the practice mat and stroked about a dozen eight footers. filled the cup.

a very solid and well balanced model. great look at address. easy to square up.

the dark finish reminds me of why I like that one dark Anser so much. great contrast on the greens up against the ball.

are you certain the putter doesn't have aseparate face? The Stronomic was , I thought, one of the first materials used as face inserts. Full face covered and then milled, I think>

thx

Uncle Bob

not a seam on this one. solid head all the way through to the face.

there is so little web data available but I did find that the Rossie II had inserts.

An article I read had no mention of insert material in the first Odyssey's. Only reference to the face was that they were milled. Even though they were labeled as Stronomic (whatever that means). At some point thereafter, the black Stronomic insert began showing up when Odyssey started labeling their putters as "Dual Force". Have a mid-90's DF Rossie II with the black insert. Not an Odyssey insert fan, no real experience with all the versions. But always liked how the Rossie II felt rolling the ball. Reportedly firmer than subsequent materials. Plus, the difference between the I & II being the size of the putter head. The Rossie I being the larger of the two. A classic mallet putter design that's still remains in their lineup.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1996 Chicago Tribune article on the Oddysey manufacturer,Tommy Armour in Morton Grove manufacturing the sticks.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1996-07-31-9607310162-story.html

per the GM, Faldo's DF putter had the insert.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Wanted some old blades to hit with. I like what I found at goodwill.

MacGregor FC 4000 Tourney M2. 1-w (except 8) Very decent shape. Black cooked on face still intact. Learned a fair amount about them reading on here. However didnt find much on this FC4000 Expediter wedge club. These clubs tell no lies on the ball strike after a couple of times at range.

Also..

Golden Ram forged Tour Grind Axial frequency matched. These are in good shape. Don't know enough to know if these are regular or stiff shaft. Says dynagold 265 cycle. Regardless, they are very nice to hit.

WOW !!!! Congrats on your find !!!!!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Well had a hectic week at work but all is not bad. Managed to club ho and sneak in 9 holes Tuesday. Found the following in the bins at work

Ping Eve 2 irons Red Dot 4 thru PW Apollo multi step shafts--- Actually played a 9 hole round walking Tuesday afternoon with them since I got off at 09:00 with mechanical problems on my trailer. Yeah they hit good. Yeah I said it and Augie can confirm because I told him over the phone. You folks thought you would never hear that from an old Mac blade man. Yeah I know I am slipping in my old age

Maxfli Aussie blades 2 thru PW missing the 9 iron R-300 shafts. These look like they have never been hit and have the original grips in pristine shape. And yes I have a $10 bounty on the 9 iron trust me if it is in the bins those guys will find it

Nike VRS driver Mitsu Fubuki shaft R 9.5 * damn that thing hits good

3 Wilson P-5 wedges 52 56 60

Callaway Jaws 56* SW Raw and rusty

Mizuno Wedge 56* raw and rusty

TM 580 Driver TM R shaft-- Got it for the shaft

Hogan CSS 2 hybrid NVS 85 shaft

Hogan CSS 3 hybrid same shaft

Odyssey Putter that looks like a Ping Zing

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade

Weighted training club with a reminder grip

All of this for the grand sum of $3.25

Threw the Pings , nike driver and Odyssey Zing in the Sunday bag and walked 9 holes that afternoon. Shot +3 from the forward tees. Laughed when the asst pro asked me if that was another one of my "junkyard sets" I told him yep "pure junkyard". Still having trouble posting pics Augie is trying to help me over the phone or in person when he gets down here. I think my lap top is outdated because it is an older Dell and we have had it around 12 years or so

More great finds Mr Big Stu !!!

You are my inspiration to Old Skool club who and find hidden old gems!!! As in Belgium golf has been rather elitist for a lot time // only like 10000 or less players until the 90's it's hard to find a lot of older stuff here but I keep on looking!!!

All the best from Belgium and I hope all is well overthere !! I will post later a picture of a recent find :-)

Jelle

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Well had a hectic week at work but all is not bad. Managed to club ho and sneak in 9 holes Tuesday. Found the following in the bins at work

Ping Eve 2 irons Red Dot 4 thru PW Apollo multi step shafts--- Actually played a 9 hole round walking Tuesday afternoon with them since I got off at 09:00 with mechanical problems on my trailer. Yeah they hit good. Yeah I said it and Augie can confirm because I told him over the phone. You folks thought you would never hear that from an old Mac blade man. Yeah I know I am slipping in my old age

Maxfli Aussie blades 2 thru PW missing the 9 iron R-300 shafts. These look like they have never been hit and have the original grips in pristine shape. And yes I have a $10 bounty on the 9 iron trust me if it is in the bins those guys will find it

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade

Threw the Pings , nike driver and Odyssey Zing in the Sunday bag and walked 9 holes that afternoon. Shot +3 from the forward tees. Laughed when the asst pro asked me if that was another one of my "junkyard sets" I told him yep "pure junkyard". Still having trouble posting pics Augie is trying to help me over the phone or in person when he gets down here. I think my lap top is outdated because it is an older Dell and we have had it around 12 years or so

You are my inspiration to Old Skool club who and find hidden old gems!!! As in Belgium golf has been rather elitist for a lot time // only like 10000 or less players until the 90's it's hard to find a lot of older stuff here but I keep on looking!!!

All the best from Belgium and I hope all is well overthere !! I will post later a picture of a recent find :-)

Jelle

Hello Jelle/Walter - why did you choose the screen name of "Walter"? I ask, because that is my deceased grandfather's name.

Welcome to this part of the board! Here is where most of the geriatric crowd comes to remember our past, and drool over one another's finds.

Big Stu has an in over the rest of us regular folks. He can find treasure in trash (literally) and pay pennies for it (again, very literally). The rest of us are jealous of him, but I know that having so many great clubs is slowly driving him nuts. Pretty soon he will be as nutty as me.

Anyway - just wanted to shout out at you, and hope that your winter is not too bad, and that you find gems along the way!

augie

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade

Jelle

Hello Jelle/Walter - why did you choose the screen name of "Walter"? I ask, because that is my deceased grandfather's name.

Welcome to this part of the board! Here is where most of the geriatric crowd comes to remember our past, and drool over one another's finds.

Big Stu has an in over the rest of us regular folks. He can find treasure in trash (literally) and pay pennies for it (again, very literally). The rest of us are jealous of him, but I know that having so many great clubs is slowly driving him nuts. Pretty soon he will be as nutty as me.

Anyway - just wanted to shout out at you, and hope that your winter is not too bad, and that you find gems along the way!

augie

Helle Mr Augie!! thank you for your kind words!!

I'm a BIG Waller Hagen fan -- My screen name :-) .

Wineters in Belgium are ok, we can play almost all winter as long there is not too much snow, but happens rarely .

Very nice to get to know you and look forward talking later onn!!

all the best, Jelle

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Wanted some old blades to hit with. I like what I found at goodwill.

MacGregor FC 4000 Tourney M2. 1-w (except 8) Very decent shape. Black cooked on face still intact. Learned a fair amount about them reading on here. However didnt find much on this FC4000 Expediter wedge club. These clubs tell no lies on the ball strike after a couple of times at range.

Also..

Golden Ram forged Tour Grind Axial frequency matched. These are in good shape. Don't know enough to know if these are regular or stiff shaft. Says dynagold 265 cycle. Regardless, they are very nice to hit.

Baffy-

The MacGregor FC Flame Ceramic 4000 coating was an innovation which Charley Penna (Toney's nephew) has written extensively about it's origin, approval, and application.

The MacGregor Toney Penna "TP" Expediter, with the FC 4000 coating in exceptional shape, is a keeper. RH Only Note- Charley Penna says there were LH TP Expediters, but...

Searched for two years to find a LH set of Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial irons, but to no avail. RH Only as well. "..Be happy Ram made LH Tour Grinds."

Ironmaster Bob-

Named after Bob "Rossie" Rosburg *(RIP), weren't those first Odyssey Rossie I & II Mallet putters made entirely of their Stronomic material?

Jim Dent was using one of the Original Rossie I mallets at an early '90s Champions Tour event outside of Grand Rapids, MI Tony Jacklin won it that year.

Those second iteration of Rossie II mallets were the ones with the Stronomic material used as an insert. Was popular, but not quite like the Odyssey 2 Ball.

Didn't Kenny Perry win a few events with a Rossie II?

* Long ago, a teenager named Bob Rosburg beat HOF Baseballer Ty Cobb in a Golf match in California. Cobb was not pleased, getting beat by such a youngster.

After several weeks with no luck I was afraid my Goodwill stores were getting out of the classic golf club business. Fortunately today I stumbled into this set of MacGregor DX2 irons. 2-9 with regular Tourney shafts and leather grips. The four iron has been re-shafted with a Pro Fit shaft. They did a good job saving the original grip and Ferule.

After several weeks with no luck I was afraid my Goodwill stores were getting out of the classic golf club business. Fortunately today I stumbled into this set of MacGregor DX2 irons. 2-9 with regular Tourney shafts and leather grips. The four iron has been re-shafted with a Pro Fit shaft. They did a good job saving the original grip and Ferule.

Shaft pins - gotta love golf history!

Nice find

Local hard sale 5 euro's for both

R5 quad 10.5 'TP logo on Head ant TP shaft

V-steel 13e' fw dynamic gold stiff steel shaft

Made my back go into spasms just thinking about hitting that V-Steel 3 wood with a DG Stiff shaft--- But if a person still has enough lead in their pencil to swing it that thing would be a beast

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Good find on that driver & V-steel....especiall the V-steel.

Those are still some of the best fairways, and can certainly keep up with anything in the "modern" era.

I am a big V-Steel fan even though I am not front line gaming any now just gotta find the right replacement shafts--- Got all of them from the 3 wood to a 9 wood. Right now I am smoking those graphite shafted KZG long irons so the 7 wood and 9 wood are on standby.

Great find Joe IMHO those Mac DX irons hit as good as the FC -4000s--- I still have an old DX 3 iron I have had for years and back in the day I could literally scald it. Now I would be scared to hit that stiff thing afraid I may throw my back out

Local hard sale 5 euro's for both

R5 quad 10.5 'TP logo on Head ant TP shaft

V-steel 13e' fw dynamic gold stiff steel shaft

Made my back go into spasms just thinking about hitting that V-Steel 3 wood with a DG Stiff shaft--- But if a person still has enough lead in their pencil to swing it that thing would be a beast

Yes Big Stue , my twin brother who is a big tall grip and rip, still plays those GS steel in his V steel as well , I bought this as a back up for his set .. :-) I consider the TP regular for next round :-) Keep you posted on my old stool bag (posted earlier here ) all the best , jelle

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Any thoughts on re-shafting the V-steel, the stiff steal shaft is nice to look at ... but won't be playing it soon

It is sorta oddball as far as shaft size it is a .350 Man back when I could really swing I loved those things with the old Pro Force 65 Gold Stiff in them. Right now I have a 5 wood shafted with a Pro Launch Blue and it is a rocket but that little 16* Adams in my signature is a rocket too. But since I went to the graphite shafted 1 st generation KZG cavity backs the 3 and 4 irons are rockets too for me.

Any thoughts on re-shafting the V-steel, the stiff steal shaft is nice to look at ... but won't be playing it soon

It is sorta oddball as far as shaft size it is a .350 Man back when I could really swing I loved those things with the old Pro Force 65 Gold Stiff in them. Right now I have a 5 wood shafted with a Pro Launch Blue and it is a rocket but that little 16* Adams in my signature is a rocket too. But since I went to the graphite shafted 1 st generation KZG cavity backs the 3 and 4 irons are rockets too for me.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a V-Steel fan. Have the almost full compliment of them (3W - 9W). Briefly had a T/S, but it proved to be to low of loft so was sold off. Couldn't elevate the ball off turf with it. As Stu mentioned, the hosel bore is .350. But that doesn't present a problem with shaft selection. Can always shim in a .335 if one has a shaft of preference in inventory.

Shafts are so individualistic, so what works for me may not for you. Example. Stu likes the PF Gold 65. Had that shaft in the acquired V-Steel 7W had didn't get on with it all that well. Felt stiffer than stated flex. Would agree with him that the Grafalloy ProLaunch shafts are excellent, even if they are not the most current. But I've always been a fan of the PL and NOS can be found very inexpensively off the Bay here in the States. In particular, like the PL Platinum. A mid-flight shaft 65 gram shaft that works well for me in V-Steels. PL Blue should be a good one as well. Still have a couple of those in clubs that do not see any use these days. The 9W has a GD YS-6+ and like how it works as well. These older shafts represent great value. Just because they're older doesn't mean they have suddenly become less effective.

Recently acquired a V-Steel 4W and a PL Plat is going in for this year. Hoping to regain a few extra yards with a little stronger loft compared to the 5W. Sadly, the days of hitting a 15* 3 wood consistently may be over. Loft plus shorter length results in improved consistency off fairway (or rough) lies.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Nice thing about the. 350 bore, you can use the clock ferrules from Billy Bob's Golf to change the loft, face angle, and even lie angle, using a .335 shaft.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Get a shaft you like in the V-steel and enjoy! Although as Fellaheen said, the 13* T/S isn't the easiest to launch off the turf. I've put mine in my modern bag recently as a driver replacement, because my Ping g400 needs repairing. I don't really regard the T/S as a fairway wood, more of a tee-shot club.

I've got the T/S, 4w, 7w, and 9w V-steels. I changed the shaft on all of them, but it was worth it. They are great clubs.

Mac Tourney Wingback DS wedge.

small remnant of the Tourney shaft label.

shaft is a bit rough finish but the chrome is intact.

old GP Pro Only grip.

bit of a vinegar bath and a scrub - now it's looking good.

pics of that wedge next to a couple of my Wilsons:

I don't mean any disrespect but what do you do with these irons now that you own them?

old GP Pro Only grip.

I don't mean any disrespect but what do you do with these irons now that you own them?

Play them.

Most of us here play what we find. It’s very rewarding to resurrect and old club and then get it back out on the course. I play a modern set of KZG irons or switch off to one of my Hogan Precision sets from the 1950’s. Either way I pair them with a set of persimmon woods. Can’t even stand to look at an oversized driver anymore. It’s a lot of fun and I can play equally average with either set :D

old GP Pro Only grip.

some are played, some are treasures that complete older sets, some are traded or given to friends.

are you on the hunt for something for yourself ?

this is the forum to make inquiries.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

old GP Pro Only grip.

Play with them. It's still golf. I like playing golf.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a V-Steel fan. Have the almost full compliment of them (3W - 9W). Briefly had a T/S, but it proved to be to low of loft so was sold off. Couldn't elevate the ball off turf with it. As Stu mentioned, the hosel bore is .350. But that doesn't present a problem with shaft selection. Can always shim in a .335 if one has a shaft of preference in inventory.

Shafts are so individualistic, so what works for me may not for you. Example. Stu likes the PF Gold 65. Had that shaft in the acquired V-Steel 7W had didn't get on with it all that well. Felt stiffer than stated flex. Would agree with him that the Grafalloy ProLaunch shafts are excellent, even if they are not the most current. But I've always been a fan of the PL and NOS can be found very inexpensively off the Bay here in the States. In particular, like the PL Platinum. A mid-flight shaft 65 gram shaft that works well for me in V-Steels. PL Blue should be a good one as well. Still have a couple of those in clubs that do not see any use these days. The 9W has a GD YS-6+ and like how it works as well. These older shafts represent great value. Just because they're older doesn't mean they have suddenly become less effective.

Recently acquired a V-Steel 4W and a PL Plat is going in for this year. Hoping to regain a few extra yards with a little stronger loft compared to the 5W. Sadly, the days of hitting a 15* 3 wood consistently may be over. Loft plus shorter length results in improved consistency off fairway (or rough) lies.

I loved the PL 65 but like you said I am getting to old to launch it anymore. I retired my beloved Callaway Steelhead 13* 3 wood 3 years back now for the same 2 reasons can not launch the 13* with a real stiff shaft anymore. Went to that 16* Adams with a Bassara regular which launches like a old PL Blue or YS 6. Yep those old shafts I salvage any club I find with those in it.

old GP Pro Only grip.

Heck I play them--- Like some of the locals will tell you about me "Ain't no telling what he will show up with next" I am retired from comp and big money matches now practice very little. Part of my fun now is seeing if I can play with a set I dragged out of one of the metal bins at work. I work for a metal recycling company and have literally played with sets off the junkpile that I have less than $5 in. Right now Like Deejaid I am playing a older set of KZGs mainly for me because they are graphite shafted and I have had lower back problems