2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

Mac Tourney Wingback DS wedge.

small remnant of the Tourney shaft label.

shaft is a bit rough finish but the chrome is intact.

old GP Pro Only grip.

bit of a vinegar bath and a scrub - now it's looking good.

pics of that wedge next to a couple of my Wilsons:

I don't mean any disrespect but what do you do with these irons now that you own them?

Heck I play them--- Like some of the locals will tell you about me "Ain't no telling what he will show up with next" I am retired from comp and big money matches now practice very little. Part of my fun now is seeing if I can play with a set I dragged out of one of the metal bins at work. I work for a metal recycling company and have literally played with sets off the junkpile that I have less than $5 in. Right now Like Deejaid I am playing a older set of KZGs mainly for me because they are graphite shafted and I have had lower back problems

still have the 975D with the PF Gold 55 R shaft. will probably never let that one go.

like you said Stu, clubs have a forever shelf life as long as you have a place to keep them.

can't wait to bring out the Karstens I got from Augie this spring.

wish there was a local shop that could work on pinned irons. would love to play my VIP's again.

those stiff shafts are not user friendly at this point in my life.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Crook. Pounding out pins is a PITA, but can be accomplished with a 3/32" punch. Buy several, you'll break a couple. A worthy endeavor to experience.....once. Are you wanting to save the shafts in the VIP's? If not, chop the shaft ~ 3" above the hosel and drill out the pin. The remnants can be easily tapped out after. Heat and remove as you normally would. My bench vise has metal clamps, lock in, heat and turn. Otherwise, use pliers on the stub. No pins needed with modern epoxy on a reshaft. A dab of silver paint after to disguise the pin hole if that's an issue.

Old irons. Updated shafts. Play your best.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Crook. Pounding out pins is a PITA, but can be accomplished with a 3/32" punch. Buy several, you'll break a couple. A worthy endeavor to experience.....once. Are you wanting to save the shafts in the VIP's? If not, chop the shaft ~ 3" above the hosel and drill out the pin. The remnants can be easily tapped out after. Heat and remove as you normally would. My bench vise has metal clamps, lock in, heat and turn. Otherwise, use pliers on the stub. No pins needed with modern epoxy on a reshaft. A dab of silver paint after to disguise the pin hole if that's an issue.

Old irons. Updated shafts. Play your best.

wonderful advise my good friend Fellaheen. most appreciated.

I don't believe anyone would want the old shafts in them so this information is quite welcome.

love your line about buying several punches. will save multiple trips to the Ace.

can't wait for the shout from upstairs. 'what's all that banging?' LOL.

I can work on those and the lefty Hogans at the same time and really cause a commotion.

maybe send her away for the weekend to be safe.

best to you.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Yep, when I restarted some pinned Hogans, I broke 2 punches. This was a while ago and I didn't really know what I was doing, but having extra is good advice.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

never enough free time for golf related projects.

I already reserved two weeks of PTO for the WGA and BMW tournaments.

glad I don't have another hobby.

:taunt:

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

I used to have a 44" drill bit that, I think, came from Golfworks. You could remove the grip and drill the pin without cutting the shaft.

I picked up one of those at Harbor Freight last year. 48 inches long. A real life saver.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

finally built up my Ram FX2 set. kinda. had to fill it in with a few Wilsons, but the head styles are sooo close I don't think it will matter too much.

today I located a really nice Staff 2 iron with the original Danny Edwards factory grip on a Firestick SM120 shaft.

the five is also a Staff and the SW is a JP II.

our forum friend Richard77 supplied the Ram laminated maple driver - now looking for a nice red colored grip to match the original.

all going in a red or maroon colored Miller eight inch bag.

iron pics:

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

My shaft pin method, which when I reshafted my radials, took 10 minutes to go through the set. Maybe I got lucky though, sample size of 1.

Use an already broken punch to get the pin started (something with a short, blunted point), or alternatively a nail set. If needed use a 1/16” drill bit to make an indentation to center your nail set. Then use an undamaged punch to keep driving. The pin hole will help in setting the punch once you’ve made it a little ways. If you can get the pin more than 1/16 to 1/8 out of the hole you have what you need.

It helps if you have a workbench with a hole in it of 1/2-1ӯ. You can place the hosel over the hole with the leading edge of the club on the bench. This allows you to hammer the club without worrying about jacking down on the club with a vice or possibly breaking the shaft if you clamp on that. For the sake of your clubs and ears though, use a wooden bench!

I have heard that some firms drove pins in consistently one way. (Back to front or front to back) If this is the case, you want to reverse that if possible, the pin would have deformed slightly conically on its way into the club, so the reverse direction will be markedly easier.

It wasn’t necessary for me, but some swear by heating the pins.

Anyway step 2: masking tape around the hosel to protect it. Latch on to the pin stub with a pair of vice-grips and pull/bend/twist until it comes out.

The problem is youre going to ruin the pin. I re-pinned with brass rod from the local hobby shop. Drilling the hole in the new shafts was more difficult; I used a cobalt bit in a bridgeport mill. I suppose I could (should) have used a carbide end-mill too. The steel involved (Dynamic gold s300) was heat-treated ASTM 4140, with a hardness of 52 HRC. (I called TT and asked.) Regardless, with the right jig, a regular drill press would be fine, but I do not recommend freehanding. Many will point out you don’t need to re-pin anyway and can just fill the holes with epoxy. I happen to like the pinned look, and in my case the brass really popped.

Hopefully that method works for you!

P.s. I wish I were in the US still, I would have wanted the VIP shafts and could have swaped you a set of Apex 3’s I pulled. Then you could have Apex-macgregors, which I think BigSTU has some sets of and enjoys.

Has anyone ever had a pin (or a portion thereof) bend inside the head/shaft and refuse to come out? I had this happen on a Dynapower wedge. When I got the pin loosened with a punch, I noticed that it wasn’t coming out the other side. Instead, the pin seemed to bend and get further lodged inside the head and shaft. I have no idea how to get it out at this point.

Has anyone ever had a pin (or a portion thereof) bend inside the head/shaft and refuse to come out? I had this happen on a Dynapower wedge. When I got the pin loosened with a punch, I noticed that it wasn’t coming out the other side. Instead, the pin seemed to bend and get further lodged inside the head and shaft. I have no idea how to get it out at this point.

grind the head off the other side with a pinpoint dremel bit or similar and punch it into the shaft and dump it out the grip end

finally built up my Ram FX2 set. kinda. had to fill it in with a few Wilsons, but the head styles are sooo close I don't think it will matter too much.

today I located a really nice Staff 2 iron with the original Danny Edwards factory grip on a Firestick SM120 shaft.

our forum friend Richard77 supplied the Ram laminated maple driver - now looking for a nice red colored grip to match the original.

iron pics:

. You want

Mubob, you might have to go down the shaft. I bought a 48 inch drill bit from Harbor Freight last year. Drill down the shaft through the pin and then punch the remaining pieces from both sides.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

iron pics:

. You want

Richard, that's the shortest post I've ever seen from you.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

iron pics:

. You want. I was going to ask you if you wanted a Wilson staff 1 iron I think I still have. I went back to my pics and when I came back it was already posted..

iron pics:

. You want. I was going to ask you if you wanted a Wilson staff 1 iron I think I still have. I went back to my pics and when I came back it was already posted..

now I understand why the text on that post was missing.

that would be great Richard. I could use it with the FX's or my FG17's. both sets stop with the two iron.

saw your post on the other forum on the Snake Eyes you found. those are super nice.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

iron pics:

Great set!!! Enjoy playing!!!!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

I have been absent from the Classic Forums for sometime; only occasionally stopping in to lurk, but 2 scores at local Goodwills over the last 2 weeks have brought me back into the fold. First I found a set of 1957 MacGregor M75 Colokrom Irons 2-9 with original 2 tone (black/maroon) leather grips and intact ferrules. Only missing two butt caps. I have seen a few single Colokrom and FC4000 irons, but never a complete set. And none in this condition. Then last week at another Goodwill I found a set of MacGregor Jack Burke Celebrity Colokrom irons, 2-9 and a wedge also with original two tone grips (tan/brown). Also, a matching 3 and 4 wood, albeit both with bulging sole plates. Also scored a number of other modern scores, a Cleveland Hi-Bore driver and 3 wood, 2 Cleveland Diadic wedges, a Ping mid-length mallet, a Ping A-blade, a Teardrop milled putter, a George Izett Model 129 driver and a Joe Powell 2 wood.

• Like 1

I have been absent from the Classic Forums for sometime; only occasionally stopping in to lurk, but 2 scores at local Goodwills over the last 2 weeks have brought me back into the fold. First I found a set of 1957 MacGregor M75 Colokrom Irons 2-9 with original 2 tone (black/maroon) leather grips and intact ferrules. Only missing two butt caps. I have seen a few single Colokrom and FC4000 irons, but never a complete set. And none in this condition. Then last week at another Goodwill I found a set of MacGregor Jack Burke Celebrity Colokrom irons, 2-9 and a wedge also with original two tone grips (tan/brown). Also, a matching 3 and 4 wood, albeit both with bulging sole plates. Also scored a number of other modern scores, a Cleveland Hi-Bore driver and 3 wood, 2 Cleveland Diadic wedges, a Ping mid-length mallet, a Ping A-blade, a Teardrop milled putter, a George Izett Model 129 driver and a Joe Powell 2 wood.

He takes time off....

He shoots....

HE SCORES!!!!!

IMHO you hit a Home Run especially with the Izette driver. I have 3 model 129s and none of them have the black finish. I always loved a black finished club especially a driver

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Sco. Not sure what you mean by "keel". The notched hosel? Think this was the first irons from Ping that had this feature. Surprisingly, these were labeled as oversized. Suppose they were, when compared to the i3 Blade. But they appear no bigger than the i20's. If anything, a bit tidier in the overall execution and narrower in the sole. More offset in the i3.

O-Size = "Optimal"

I also found a solid set of i3-O's, 3-SW, plus 3,5,7 i3 fairways, a Craz-e G2i putter with a perfect Hoofer bag for $60 in a pawnshop. White dot, considering sending them back to Ping for black-dotting.

Sco. Not sure what you mean by "keel". The notched hosel? Think this was the first irons from Ping that had this feature. Surprisingly, these were labeled as oversized. Suppose they were, when compared to the i3 Blade. But they appear no bigger than the i20's. If anything, a bit tidier in the overall execution and narrower in the sole. More offset in the i3.

O-Size = "Optimal"

I also found a solid set of i3-O's, 3-SW, plus 3,5,7 i3 fairways, a Craz-e G2i putter with a perfect Hoofer bag for $60 in a pawnshop. White dot, considering sending them back to Ping for black-dotting.

I'm very jealous... Very very jealous