Thrift Store Jackpot

Watched a guy hid a golf club behind the luggage at the local GW awhile back. Got curious and after he left, went and checked. It was a Ping Rapture driver in pretty good shape, but with an X shaft and a price tag of $4.95. He figured he'd come back the next day, when it was senior discount and get it. So naturally I grab it, planned to pull and replace the shaft and payed for it. As i'm walking to the door, he happens to see me with it and if looks could kill, I'd be dead 10 times over. So I'm sitting in my car getting ready to pull out, when he comes out and jumps in a brand new Lexus.

LOL, Cost for fuel on the return trip probably will exceed the senior discount...……... Rule number one, if you see anything you might consider taking home, hold it in your hands while you do the rest of the shopping. Once you lay it down, it's fair game for anyone.

Wife's order, I'll probably try to unload some of these stuff in the garage.

My health condition does not allow me to either get on the golf course much nor to do golf club repair as I like to .

Looking at those golf related stuff accumulated over the years, some are still great golf clubs but probably not worth others to pay attention because of the increased shipping cost.

Maybe I'll do a local garage sale or something.

My health condition does not allow me to either get on the golf course much nor to do golf club repair as I like to .

Looking at those golf related stuff accumulated over the years, some are still great golf clubs but probably not worth others to pay attention because of the increased shipping cost.

if you come across a Ping Karsten IV 5iron I need one...

Watched a guy hid a golf club behind the luggage at the local GW awhile back. Got curious and after he left, went and checked. It was a Ping Rapture driver in pretty good shape, but with an X shaft and a price tag of $4.95. He figured he'd come back the next day, when it was senior discount and get it. So naturally I grab it, planned to pull and replace the shaft and payed for it. As i'm walking to the door, he happens to see me with it and if looks could kill, I'd be dead 10 times over. So I'm sitting in my car getting ready to pull out, when he comes out and jumps in a brand new Lexus.

LOL, Cost for fuel on the return trip probably will exceed the senior discount...……... Rule number one, if you see anything you might consider taking home, hold it in your hands while you do the rest of the shopping. Once you lay it down, it's fair game for anyone.

Trust me you are correct. That night I found the 925 Armours with the 57 Mac Rocket woods all in a red Mac bag I shouldered that thing and did the rest of the store tour with it slung over my shoulder.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Trust me you are correct. That night I found the 925 Armours with the 57 Mac Rocket woods all in a red Mac bag I shouldered that thing and did the rest of the store tour with it slung over my shoulder.

Some people with small children shop with a Baby Bjorn strapped to them, my friend totes a vintage bag. Awesome Stu, well played. I recently performed a similar shopping display with a set of Hogans at a GW as I pursued the used book section. Found it (the Hogans) kept a lot of people at bay. Would you grab a book in front of an elderly man holding an Apex 4 shaft with a forged head? I didn’t think so.

if you come across a Ping Karsten IV 5iron I need one...

Sorry bud, I seldom collect single golf clubs unless it's a putter or a wedge.

Big STU will be your best bet to contact, he comes across a lot more stuff before they get to the thrift stores ( or recycle plant ).

Picked up this nice Tad Moore TM-12 at Goodwill this past Sunday

Cobra Radspeed xB Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra Speedzone 4W - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra F9 7W

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Txema JMO 60 LW 

Slighter Redmond

Ralph Tyler Mor-Kik five iron, forties vintage. original leather grip. very close match to my Spalding Robt Jones irons. one set was a five iron light so that case is now closed.

Sam Snead Blue Ridge laminated maple three wood. soleplate is worn; rest of the stick appears fine.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Tis the season.

More GWs (and donators) here are starting to come out of their hibernation finally.

Sounder Tour Star blades, 3-PW, St.Pats day sale (35% off), $15.50:

54425418_787467284972207_8889219702870507520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=0162758d652f19e4f1d2064fee2c928f&oe=5D1119D2

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

no matter where you are, there's usually a Knight club in the rack.

You are darn skippy on that one--- I find them all the time on the pile---- What cracks me up sometimes is the fact that some have good aftermarket grips. I mean I am talking $6 or $8 grips on a 25 cent club. I have a method for those. I step on them and break the shaft take them home and pull the grip and then return the broken shaft to the pile. I hardly buy grips I salvage them

Tis the season.

More GWs (and donators) here are starting to come out of their hibernation finally.

54425418_787467284972207_8889219702870507520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=0162758d652f19e4f1d2064fee2c928f&oe=5D1119D2

Those Sounder Tour Stars are actually hollow and foam filled. That's the reason for the brass plug in the toe.

"21st Century technology" from 1984!

Sort of like the newest TaylorMade irons with "Power Bridge." They remind me of the Top Flite clubs from the mid 1990s.

The OEMs of today count on the fact that their target market wasn't born when a lot of this stuff made the rounds the first time.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Tis the season.

I have been looking for a set of Sounder Tour Stars.

LMK if you are interested in selling them.

Those Sounder Tour Stars are actually hollow and foam filled. That's the reason for the brass plug in the toe.

Sort of like the newest TaylorMade irons with "Power Bridge." They remind me of the Top Flite clubs from the mid 1990s.

The OEMs of today count on the fact that their target market wasn't born when a lot of this stuff made the rounds the first time.

I was down for March Break in Erie Pennsylvania with the kids.

Stopped by a local Goodwill to see if I could pick up some board games for the kids.

I didn't see any golf equipment but asked one of the sales associates if they had any clubs.

He said that they have a rack in the back and only accessible with a staff member.

Well, after some some digging and prodding , I dug up about a dozen decent sticks.

Some Left handed Callaway Hawkeye VFTs, and some 1,2 irons.

This is what I found:

Callaway Hawkeye VFTs 3,4,5,6,7,8,9, Wedge (x-16).

Mizuno MS9 1 iron in amazing condition.

Mizuno MP 14 2 iron in amazing condition.

Ben Hogan Apex 1 iron with Apex 5 shaft in amazing condition.

Here's the best part, I took them up the cash and the cashier was extremely helpful and sincere. She said that she has to charge me $0.59 per club because it's not golf season yet.

I said thank you and that I would like to buy all of the staff Coffees and donuts. She politely declined stating that they weren't allowed to accept gifts from customers.

What should I do to repay this generosity? Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

Tis the season.

I have been looking for a set of Sounder Tour Stars.

LMK if you are interested in selling them.

You want 'em? PM me.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

First finds of the year, total cost ~25€! I could have added a full set of Ping Eye 2, and a Spalding Executive set with irons + woods to my haul, for another 40€, but I can't really sell them on like you guys in UK/US, no eBay and not big enough of a market for vintage clubs. That said, here are the finds:

My first green/white MacGregor bag, every vintage golfer needs one of these.

I've been looking for a Ginty for some time, getting distance from the rough is one of the more challenging areas of playing older gear.

The putters: First another 8813, love this model! A BeCu(?) MacGregor P500, neat shaft bend in this one. An Odyssey White Ice 1, and finally a very cool center shafted Ben Sayers wooden putter.

rDvugWd.jpg

The putters, sorted by balance

43IPOSh.jpg

looks like you're sporting some fireproof asbestos gloves there - are the clubs that hot?

Heavy gloves are pretty much a necessity when shopping the Goodwills with the merchandise on rummage tables or in bins. No telling what you might encounter in there. Knives. Broken glass. Knitting needles. You name it.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Tis the season.

looks like you're sporting some fireproof asbestos gloves there - are the clubs that hot?

Dude I am in Minnesota. It's still a wee bit chilly here. :taunt: (they're just my regular Winter gloves I always wear.)

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Tis the season.

Dude I am in Minnesota. It's still a wee bit chilly here. :taunt: (they're just my regular Winter gloves I always wear.)

Yeah, great find on those clubs, but a I can’t past the gloves. It looks like you are wearing a burglar outfit or something and swiping those clubs. :D

DM70 said:
First finds of the year, total cost ~25€! I could have added a full set of Ping Eye 2, and a Spalding Executive set with irons + woods to my haul, for another 40€, but I can't really sell them on like you guys in UK/US, no eBay and not big enough of a market for vintage clubs. That said, here are the finds:

My first green/white MacGregor bag, every vintage golfer needs one of these.

I've been looking for a Ginty for some time, getting distance from the rough is one of the more challenging areas of playing older gear.

The putters: First another 8813, love this model! A BeCu(?) MacGregor P500, neat shaft bend in this one. An Odyssey White Ice 1, and finally a very cool center shafted Ben Sayers wooden putter.

rDvugWd.jpg

The putters, sorted by balance

43IPOSh.jpg

Nice smaller Mac bag. I believe that was made for Mac by Miller which is a quality product---- But then again all the older bags were top notch quality--- Nice 8813 too