Thrift Store Jackpot

Shipping costs are a function of box dimensions, weight and destination (zip code). It is what it is. A pass through to a buyer, although you incur a fee hit with eBay (calculated on total final value). They have a shipping calculator tool that one can input this information so a buyer knows an item's shipping expense. USPS has a similar tool, although never used it.

Use USPS most of the time because I can get free priority shipping boxes (medium mailing tube) from them. Never have enough golf club shipping boxes. Cobble two together for longer clubs. And USPS is conveniently local, other shipping offices are some distance away. Their rates seem to be as good as UPS and FedEx. Close enough for my purposes.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I've been selling clubs on eBay for almost 20 years now.

I just do the calculations prior to listing an item. As a general rule a set of clubs is no more than 10 pounds - I just tell potential bidders/buyers they need to add calculated shipping. A single clubs is generally 1-2 pounds so I just charge 2-3 pounds. I pay/print shipping out on my computer (USPS Priority) and that saves it seems instead of paying at USPS.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I used to charge a flat rate of $15 to ship a set of irons because that usually covered it. Then I got hit with a $40 shipping charge for a set that was apparently going to some out of the way place. Nearly ate up everything I was hoping to make. So now I choose for the posting to calculate shipping. The listing will show a different shipping charge for potential buyer based on their location. Last week I had someone pay $44 shipping on a $70 iron purchase.

Yes I just weight the set when listing, and add that weight and likely box dimensions in the calculated shipping. Add a pound to pay for some of the fees. 90% of single clubs (with a box) are around 2 pounds.

Shipping bags SUCKS - but when it comes to shipping bags (especially staff bags) inches can make a huge difference in the shipping costs. Never use priority when shipping bags - use the slightly cheaper USPS shipping option and try to cram the bag into the smallest possible box without damaging it.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, Drainey15 said:

Found these 3 at a flea market for a dollar a piece. Now I’m wanting to make a classic bag wondering around what year the woods are from because I want to find irons from around the same time I’m guessing 80s? Found a couple on eBay but none listed when they were from.

EA9F6EFB-F7C3-401F-8BAA-B7FA51086554.jpeg

A95C1AB6-6797-4A96-B01B-24F6C91C4EA1.jpeg

I played those exact woods in the late 80's. If you ever need to move them along. If not, enjoy.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:19 PM, augustgolf said:

Richard - AMF (no, not THAT "amf"...inside joke)

AMF owned the Hogan Company in the early to mid 70's, if my memory serves.

Those irons are beautiful!

LOL back in the day in the Harley world AMF meant Adios mutha *****  But seriously my best 2 Harleys were AMF a 75 and 81

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Any thoughts on Mizuno Shadow irons?  There's a set for a buck a club at one of the local thriftos, but I wasn't able to find much about them in a quick Google search.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

11 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

Any thoughts on Mizuno Shadow irons?  There's a set for a buck a club at one of the local thriftos, but I wasn't able to find much about them in a quick Google search.

I've found that out of the older Mizuno models only the forged ones have much value.  Nobody cares much about he older cavity backs.  Having said that $1 a club for a complete set is a no lose purchase.  If you like them enough to play then great, if not you would be able to sell them and get more than your money back.  

On 8/31/2020 at 6:38 PM, Rambler1277 said:

Picked a set of "Techni-Forge" forged irons for $10 today, seem decent enough but I can't find a single thing about them. Anyone familiar with these? I went out and hit the 9 iron and had some solid strikes. 

01707e98f004c791724ee7584208bf7bf159d50407.jpg

I found a 6 iron in a box of component heads that appear to be the same other than the name.

Possibly both coming from the same foundry and used to fill custom orders. Looks like fairly good quality, somewhat reminiscent of Hogan Edge forged irons.

P_20200905_091514.jpg

• Like 1

Today's finds:

Wilson Staff DynaPower 4 iron with leather reminder grip

PGA Tommy Armour Reg. 709 Putter.

Somehow hit the 4 iron better than any club in my bag. Sticking with the Pung Putter though although I like the look of the PGA.

By the way, does anyone know what the Turf Rider sole was supposed to do? It looks to me like any of a number of other soles, albeit wider at the toe.

IMG_20200906_104350312_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200906_104407537_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 9:03 PM, raggal62 said:

I found a 6 iron in a box of component heads that appear to be the same other than the name.

Possibly both coming from the same foundry and used to fill custom orders. Looks like fairly good quality, somewhat reminiscent of Hogan Edge forged irons.

P_20200905_091514.jpg

Cool, looks like the exact same club.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:11 PM, BIG STU said:

LOL back in the day in the Harley world AMF meant Adios mutha *****  But seriously my best 2 Harleys were AMF a 75 and 81

You know, if I was to have imagined you riding a Harley Stu, it would be a shovel FLH I'd picture in my mind. My pals got 74 and 76 FLHs, I keep trying to get him to sell me one. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

On 8/25/2020 at 9:59 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Found the closest thing to a thrift store here the other day. It seemed to be selling bric-a-brac, with most things charged at 3 items for 1,000 yen (about $10US). I took a look inside and found a manky bag filled with a full set of BeCu red-dot EYE2s, 3i-LW (OK, I suppose a truly full set would be 1i-LW). Be still my beating heart! There was also a BeCu PAL4, a highly questionable-looking Scotty Cameron Monterey, and three Honma persimmons. The persimmons were a Driver with an R-1 carbon shaft, and a 3w and 5w with unknown but pretty firm steel shafts. There were also a couple of wedges, one a Mizuno cast PW, and an off-brand approach wedge, both with lightweight carbon shafts.

I took a quick look at the EYE2s and asked if three irons apiece would be 1,000 yen. The bloke said 1,000 yen for the whole bag! So I picked up a 3-LW set of EYE2 BeCus for less than $10US! Plus I knew I could sell the PAL4 at the local secondhand golf shop and more than recoup my money, so I did that on the way home.

The Scotty was, as I suspected, a fake. I posted a thread about it in the Putters forum. However, I'm not bothered because a) I thought as much when I bought the clubs, and b) I was after the EYE2s first and foremost. It would have been a beautiful bonus to get a real one at that price, but I'm going to have some fun repainting it and playing it. I've already named it my Scotty Scameron.

The 5w was in pretty nice shape and I've been looking for a decent Honma persimmon 5w, so that was a nice little extra bonus.

I asked the bloke if I could remove the two wedges because they were worthless and it costs money to junk stuff like that here, and let me take them out and put them in an adjacent bag.

I bought the EYE2s with the intention to flip them because I think the red-dot lie angle is too flat for me, but I'm going to hit them first. One final thing, the serial numbers all match except for the LW. I didn't check in the shop, and I was expecting a mixed set, so that was a nice surprise. Whoever last owned them seemed to have kept using the SW because the grip was newer and in decent shape, and the face is slightly shiny from use (see pic). Shafts appear to be True Temper, and the labels have a black band on top and a green band below, so I think that makes them TT Lite Regular flex?

Ping BeCu EYE2 set.jpg

Ping BeCu EYE2 SW face.jpg

Honma Correct 5w face.jpg

Honma Correct 5w sole.jpg

That's got to be a world record for value at $10.... GREAT find!

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, kmay__ said:

You know, if I was to have imagined you riding a Harley Stu, it would be a shovel FLH I'd picture in my mind. My pals got 74 and 76 FLHs, I keep trying to get him to sell me one. 

You hit it dead on my friend 2 Shovels 76 FLH and a 81 FLHS. But the best one was a 75 XLCH Sportster. First year for left foot shift on a Sportster. Bought it brand new. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 3:50 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Today's finds:

Somehow hit the 4 iron better than any club in my bag. Sticking with the Pung Putter though although I like the look of the PGA.

By the way, does anyone know what the Turf Rider sole was supposed to do? It looks to me like any of a number of other soles, albeit wider at the toe.

IMG_20200906_104407537_HDR.jpg

That PGA Armour is a great putter I have one exactly like it. Some one on here and I traced it to around 1968 or so

• Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 2:50 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Today's finds:

Nice find . bet it feels good when struck.

made in Morton Grove IL. .

they produced many brands out of that plant. of course, that was a while ago.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Do you all collect old clubs to actually play with?  If so, do you find it hard to transition between sets of clubs?

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

1 hour ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

Do you all collect old clubs to actually play with?  If so, do you find it hard to transition between sets of clubs?

Speaking for myself....I take em out to the range and fart around with them all the time when I get something new to me.   If I find something I really like or really works well, it goes in the Classic Bag.  I play maybe 6-10 rounds a year with those...mostly late in the evening when I can just go out and play by myself.

• Like 3

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

5 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

I play most of my sets, transitioning isn't too much of a problem, probably because I've got used to the drop off in playing consistency.

I usually change set once a week and have measured the lofts of each iron set so I can then note them down on a small card when I play each set.

It's then just a matter of relating loft to distance, most lengths in my sets are within half an inch of each other.

I find the woods are more tricky to get the swing feel for when I change a set.

Of course some clubs feel more "natural" than others but the fun is in the playing, it's not all about the score.

(I play hickory through to late 1980s clubs.)

• Like 3

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

10 hours ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

I like to play with them.  I've got about 60 sets of irons now.  I've played with about half of them.  Many of them have bad grips that will still need to be replaced.  I don't score quite as well when I switch over to a different set.  Usually 3 or 4 strokes difference.  There's also an adjustment going back to my primary set.  It's fun to mix it up though.

• Like 2

While I've about 20 sets of irons, I'd say there are about 15 I like; the rest I plan to sell on. I have a few modern sets (post 2000), and the rest are mainly 70s and 80s. 

I switch out irons in my classic bag after each round, and usually change a wood or two as well. While they don't all play the same, there's not that much difference between distances. I do check and adjust the lofts and lies when I buy a new set, and all my older irons start with a PW at 49* or 50*, with similar gapping down to the 3i.

The only adjustment necessary is when I play one of my modern irons, which have typically have a 46* or 47* PW, so whereas I might be hitting an 8i with my classic bag, I'd be hitting a 9i with my modern bag. This rule starts to get a little iffy around the 5i or 6i, but it's never been a major problem.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 7:47 PM, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

I play them.  

With irons, aside from the Pinhawk SL set i built on a lark, the newest set I have are the TP MC set from 2011.  Most of my main rotation are from the 90s or earlier, with 2005ish MP-37 in the mix.  I also score better with these classic blade sets, which some find counter-intuitive.  Have to admit, I do sometimes as well, which is part of why i have that TP MC set, or the single length set.  LOL 

With woods, it's to a lesser extent, but again, I buy them to play them.  Until this year, I could truthfully say my tee game was at least as good with persimmons as with more modern clubs, but that's been less true this year, for some reason.  It's especially ironic as I started the season exclusively playing persimmon at the top of the bag.  I don't know if my mid season improvement is related to switching to modern metal woods, or the usual working thru Minnesota off-season rust.

In any event, it's all about playing them.  ?

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors