• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the closest thing to a thrift store here the other day. It seemed to be selling bric-a-brac, with most things charged at 3 items for 1,000 yen (about $10US). I took a look inside and found a man

Just scored these.      

Found this...for less than the price of a Taco Bell meal.

Posted Images

On 10/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, Foozle said:

Loving the Tommy Armour woods and irons! Great find. Look in good order - any pictures of those copper faces?

Mp14's almost as sweet as the Hogan Precision's they copy. 🙂 Both can fetch good prices.

I already sold the tommy's and woods. Faces were mint. Was an old ladys set and she never used them. I have 2 other full sets of non tommy MT colokroms though, 1 of which is mint. Macgregor is from Dayton Oh where I live so they are a little more common around these parts. Didn't realize the Mp-14s were modeled after Hogans. Good to know.

Edited by Buzzkill
1 hour ago, topoftheline89 said:

I already sold the tommy's and woods. Faces were mint. Was an old ladys set and she never used them. I have 2 other full sets of non tommy MT colokroms though, 1 of which is mint. Trying to sell the rough set 1-9 for cheap. Macgregor is from Dayton Oh where I live so they are a little more common around these parts. Didn't realize the Mp-14s were modeled after Hogans. Good to know.

I am in the UK so good vintage MacGregor's are not that plentiful here. However I do have various sets of Colokrom and FC irons. I know that my PT1's made it here via Afrika!

Comment about the MP14's was  tongue in cheek - Mizuno would deny it! However compare the images, perhaps more accurately to the '58 Sunburst evolution of the Precision's, despite the 40 year age gap, they are quite similar! 🙂

Pet theory of mine that the bloodline of perfection started with Hogan Precision irons.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:15 AM, becalmbecool said:

Picked up these on the weekend; really decent shape, dynamic regular shafts. Last pic is just comparing the 1 wood with a Muirfield metal wood I found a couple years back.

407591F1-DF6A-4E79-8A54-A9308ABB4550.jpeg

19243DB8-8552-4BD9-B670-8DBF53DF975D.jpeg

415B15BB-EE0B-4385-94E0-952EC0A5D67A.jpeg

622CE72D-7014-47C3-AAF5-0B6CF4788640.jpeg

Now I didn't know that the Muirfield 20ths included a metal driver. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen persimmon Muirfield 20th woods up for auction, but that's the first metalwood I've seen.

22 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Now I didn't know that the Muirfield 20ths included a metal driver. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen persimmon Muirfield 20th woods up for auction, but that's the first metalwood I've seen.

There are tons of them on eBay.  They came in Straight, Closed, and Open setups.  I have a MT Straight here in the basement.  They don't hardly have any value.  

38 minutes ago, dcopp7 said:

There are tons of them on eBay.  They came in Straight, Closed, and Open setups.  I have a MT Straight here in the basement.  They don't hardly have any value.  

I just realised that I may never have seen one because I've never actively searched for one. If I'm looking at Macgregors, I've usually put in "Persimmon" as a search word.

7 hours ago, Rambler1277 said:

Found this very clean 975D with Laker shaft at GW yesterday. Probably the nicest one I’ve come across. I’ve actually never played this shaft before so I’m eager to go try it out.

F108B0C2-C038-4CE8-B450-8668F72F28A9.jpeg

589D4CAB-5594-49C3-9071-A3BC27102F3F.jpeg

FC9FDEB4-4422-4344-83FA-E6A9FD9E454B.jpeg

22C95AAA-7314-4235-BB2D-975079293A73.jpeg

I was a big fan of the old 65 Gold shafts until----- I got too damn old to swing them--- If you have the SS to swing that it should be a cannon comparable to anything out today maybe not in the forgiveness end but you know where I am coming from here

• Like 2

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

10 hours ago, sdandrea said:

Just scored these.  

20201107_163110.jpg

20201107_163104.jpg

20201105_145500.jpg

20201105_145510.jpg

Man you hit the jackpot especially the V- foil combos and LOL the Hogans ain't bad either!!!!!

• Like 1

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

Are there any good resources to look up values of non-club things, like golf bags?

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

20 hours ago, Parmcat said:

Not sure if this is a jackpot or not.  Found a set of these Wilson X31 forged irons.  I believe these were from 1966.  They are in very good shape, I think the grips are original.  They are dirty, but when polished up will look awesome.

Any insight would be great

Cost me 16.00

PXL_20201107_222439393.jpg

PXL_20201107_222446524.jpg

PXL_20201107_224215299.jpg

PXL_20201107_224239209.jpg

PXL_20201107_224518902.jpg

Great find!

X31's were top line clubs at that time and as I recall more expensive than Staff irons at the time.

There were numerous versions of x31 through the years and by the '80's they seemed to have slipped down the Wilson pecking order and were then mid range below the Staff models. 

These should clean up nicely and be stunning. However, I don't think the grips are original. They look like Chamosis to me which are very good and seem to avoid going hard and slippery. Should make them very playable.

Beware, Wilson lofts in the '60's were weak even by '60's standards. Can't speak for x31's but some Wilson 7 irons were up at 38* or even 39* compared to the accepted "traditional" 35* or 36* of the era. That is arguably 4 clubs weaker than some modern cranked game improvement 7 irons so depending on what you currently play you will need to make allowances. 

Just remember the number on the bottom of the club is irrelevant, it is the result that counts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 11/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, sdandrea said:

Just scored these.  

20201107_163110.jpg

20201107_163104.jpg

20201105_145500.jpg

20201105_145510.jpg

You found those at a thrift shop?? I think I'm better off not hearing what you paid for them.

Fantastic find. Both are great iron sets, but I think I'd lean to the Macs. It's like having to pick between a ribeye and porterhouse.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Parmcat said:

Another good find for me today.  Found a set of these Nicklaus Golden Bears by MacGregor.  It's 3-PW.  Appear in phenomenal shape.  Faces are clean, grooves sharp.  Looks like original grips.

Any insight on the age of these?  Also does the golf ferrel identify type of shaft?

Thanks for looking

PXL_20201111_223144659.jpg

Those were my first set of irons, bought in the UK from the local catalogue store 1 or 2 clubs at a time, that would have been around 1978.

It's not all about the score.

47 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Those were my first set of irons, bought in the UK from the local catalogue store 1 or 2 clubs at a time, that would have been around 1978.

I also have a set of these Golden Bear irons. Unlike Jiggered not my first set. I don't think the ferrules give any indication as to shaft flex.

Like Jiggered, I acquired my first set club by club. Mine were Dunlop Blueflash Junior irons and replaced the assortment of hickory, pyratone and other clubs dragged out of attics, sheds, garages etc that got me started in the game.

It would have been mid '70's and I got one club each birthday and Christmas. Took several years to assemble my 1W ,3W, 3,5,7,9&SW set by which time I was approaching my peak height of 6'4"! Played them until the age of 15 when i finally saved enough to replace them with more size appropriate clubs.

Happy memories!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The bag is like new condition and the irons, well it's the eye 2's. i bumped out the irons length 3/4" and re-griped with midsize grips. Played one round with them before regripping and scored just as well as my newer set. I expect that with new grips they should be really up to the task. Just have to remember to re-calculate yardages with the weaker lofts. There's just something about playing the older equipment, iron wise at least, but that original TM driver is in a different catagory altogether. The fairway woods can still hold their own, but just way to much distance lost with the driver and if there's a sweet spot, it must be at the back of the head. But it was still kind of fun to try and hit it. Hard to believe that I use to hit the heck out of it when it first came out, but then I was a heck of alot younger and could see clearer.

• Like 1