Thrift Store Jackpot

On 11/12/2020 at 8:14 PM, Foozle said:

I also have a set of these Golden Bear irons. Unlike Jiggered not my first set. I don't think the ferrules give any indication as to shaft flex.

Like Jiggered, I acquired my first set club by club. Mine were Dunlop Blueflash Junior irons and replaced the assortment of hickory, pyratone and other clubs dragged out of attics, sheds, garages etc that got me started in the game.

It would have been mid '70's and I got one club each birthday and Christmas. Took several years to assemble my 1W ,3W, 3,5,7,9&SW set by which time I was approaching my peak height of 6'4"! Played them until the age of 15 when i finally saved enough to replace them with more size appropriate clubs.

Happy memories!

6'4" in your early teens? At my school, that would have meant compulsory service in the rugby squad.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Foozle said:

It did! Played second row for the school team until the others caught up and it started to hurt! 

I bet you were always one of the tallest on the pitch, though. 

I was the opposite. I only started growing AFTER I stopped playing rugby. People can't believe it when I tell them I used to play wing or scrum half. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I bet you were always one of the tallest on the pitch, though. 

I was the opposite. I only started growing AFTER I stopped playing rugby. People can't believe it when I tell them I used to play wing or scrum half. 

What I gained in height was offset by a lack of talent and speed. My only attribute was bulk hence second row!

When I "retired" from rugby I altered my definition of sport to being something that can be done at walking pace and within reach of a pint! 🙂 Golf, snooker, darts etc. 

My talent at each is almost on par with rugby! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Foozle said:

What I gained in height was offset by a lack of talent and speed. My only attribute was bulk hence second row!

When I "retired" from rugby I altered my definition of sport to being something that can be done at walking pace and within reach of a pint! 🙂 Golf, snooker, darts etc. 

My talent at each is almost on par with rugby! 

Got to say, my heart wasn't in it, either. I didn't particularly enjoy giving up lunch breaks to charge around a wet muddy pitch in the freezing cold. Once I discovered golf, I wanted to give up rugby ASAP.

I do enjoy watching rugby now, though. I think the rule changes have made it a better sport, at least from the point of view of a spectator.

13 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Got to say, my heart wasn't in it, either. I didn't particularly enjoy giving up lunch breaks to charge around a wet muddy pitch in the freezing cold. Once I discovered golf, I wanted to give up rugby ASAP.

I do enjoy watching rugby now, though. I think the rule changes have made it a better sport, at least from the point of view of a spectator.

Being a large human myself I got pushed towards rugby as well.  I showed up to watch once and immediately noticed that everyone's nose and ears were all smashed up and several were actually bleeding.  I'm not too big on bleeding while trying to have fun so I strayed towards golf.  I like how it's turned out so far although I still like to watch rugby.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

Being a large human myself I got pushed towards rugby as well.  I showed up to watch once and immediately noticed that everyone's nose and ears were all smashed up and several were actually bleeding.  I'm not too big on bleeding while trying to have fun so I strayed towards golf.  I like how it's turned out so far although I still like to watch rugby.

There is that as well. I remember one of my first ever practices at the big boys' school, one lad dislocated his shoulder. As I watched him leave the field in agony, I thought to myself, "what the *$&@ am I doing here?"

The only times I've thought that on the golf course were when I was playing in thick fog and couldn't only see about 30 yards around me, and even then it was rather good fun trying to guess where I'd hit it (I finished the round, albeit a few balls poorer than when I started), and when I was playing in a wind so strong that a skied ball on the fifth hole ended up landing behind me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was wondering what happened to this thread. Maybe I didn't update my info on this forum to follow this? 

Seems to have been a big drought lately. With so many people picking up the game lately I wonder if everything that hits the shelves at our thrifts are being snatched up right away? 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

36 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Was wondering what happened to this thread. Maybe I didn't update my info on this forum to follow this? 

Seems to have been a big drought lately. With so many people picking up the game lately I wonder if everything that hits the shelves at our thrifts are being snatched up right away? 

During the winter months the thrifts in my area have skis and poles in the golf club rack.

I personally haven't entered a thrift store since this whole virus fiasco came down...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swingingk said:

During the winter months the thrifts in my area have skis and poles in the golf club rack.

I personally haven't entered a thrift store since this whole virus fiasco came down...

I haven't either for basically the same reasons you stated

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

5 hours ago, Joe85 said:

I've had some good finds this year.  I usually don't post about them because it seems cruel to post without pictures, and I never get around to taking pictures.  Here's a partial list:

Tommy Armour 855's

Tight Lie's irons

Cobra Fly Z hybrids

Titleist Tour Model Irons

Powerbilt TPS irons (2 sets)

Powerbilt Levelume irons and woods

PGA Ryder Cup Irons and Woods

Wilson Sam Snead Signature Irons and Woods

A few Cleveland Wedges

A Vokey 60* Wedge

Cleveland Smart Square Putter

Cleveland HiBore XL hybrid

Titleist 980F 3 wood

Powerbilt TPS 6.0 Oversize Irons

Ping i/3 Blade irons

Lynx Parallax Irons

King Cobra II Oversize Irons

Taylormade RAC 52* wedge

I've also found a few partial sets, other random irons & hybrids and some other things that I'm forgetting.  So, the thrift store finds are still out there.  You just have to spend the majority of your free time looking.  

• Like 1

we've working from home since March.

anytime I get the urge to check out used gear - I go though a couple bags of stuff downstairs, regrip

some clubs, re-arrange the wedges, set a goal to use more of the sets on the course.

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

10 hours ago, Joe S said:

I've had some good finds this year.  I usually don't post about them because it seems cruel to post without pictures, and I never get around to taking pictures.  Here's a partial list:

Tommy Armour 855's

Tight Lie's irons

Cobra Fly Z hybrids

A few Cleveland Wedges

A Vokey 60* Wedge

Titleist 980F 3 wood

Ping i/3 Blade irons

Lynx Parallax Irons

Taylormade RAC 52* wedge

I've also found a few partial sets, other random irons & hybrids and some other things that I'm forgetting.  So, the thrift store finds are still out there.  You just have to spend the majority of your free time looking.  

Another reason I did not state in my previous post is frankly I have run out of room. My bud Bear who is a bigger club ho than I am ran out of room and gave me 10 sets of clubs plus a M-6 driver. My retirement plans were to clean out my place across the road and scrap or give away a lot of oddball stuff I had saved for shafts etc. Well when I got hurt in April that went out the window until I healed up and was able to lift stuff again. And that has not happened yet

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Joe S said:

Tommy Armour 855's

Tight Lie's irons

Cobra Fly Z hybrids

A few Cleveland Wedges

A Vokey 60* Wedge

Titleist 980F 3 wood

Ping i/3 Blade irons

Lynx Parallax Irons

Taylormade RAC 52* wedge

My issue with having this many would be picking what I'm going to play with on any given day. So many good clubs I wouldn't be able to decide. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jedaigeki said:

My issue with having this many would be picking what I'm going to play with on any given day. So many good clubs I wouldn't be able to decide. 

I am having that problem right now, myself.  I'm in the process of transitioning to graphite shafts in my irons, which means I have to pick a couple.  And i'm having a helluva time doing that.  I'd bought one set of shafts, intending them for my MP-37s, and I can't even help but wonder if I shouldn't redirect those shafts to another set.  

Analysis-paralysis is an ugly thing.  LOL

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

29 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I am having that problem right now, myself.  I'm in the process of transitioning to graphite shafts in my irons, which means I have to pick a couple.  And i'm having a helluva time doing that.  I'd bought one set of shafts, intending them for my MP-37s, and I can't even help but wonder if I shouldn't redirect those shafts to another set.  

Having gone to graphite in my MP-4s, I understand where you're coming from.

However, I just tried out some irons with DGX-100 shafts at a nearby golf shop, and I realised how much I like the timing of those shafts. With my back issues, I shouldn't be playing them anymore, but I do like their timing into the ball. That said, I like the timing of my R-flex Wilson FG-J8s in the same way, so what do I know? I think it's more about the weight of the shaft that the "flex" for me. 

What I don't understand is that modern metalwoods with 70g+ shaft just don't work for me, but I can hit steel-shafted persimmons with heavier shafts OK.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

I constantly have that problem welcome to my world. What I have told guys here and the other place we go--- If you are around here and do not have clubs stop by. I have at least 6 sets bagged up ready to go at any time and if that does not suit you grab a empty bag and assemble you a set to your liking

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

Everything I've been seeing lately was kit builds, lower-end sets, or random single clubs.

Until Wednesday!  I walked home with a complete MacGregor forged iron set, a Cleveland Hi-bore 8 iron, and an Adams 5 Hybrid!

• Like 2

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

recently unboxed a long stored set of TA 845FS's with factory graphite shafts.

bought them new with another set in steel.

played both but knew enough to keep these for the future.

still hitting the Hogans OK but feel dumb with so many other sets here sitting unplayed.

at what point do we have enough ?

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I constantly have that problem welcome to my world. What I have told guys here and the other place we go--- If you are around here and do not have clubs stop by. I have at least 6 sets bagged up ready to go at any time and if that does not suit you grab a empty bag and assemble you a set to your liking

It is a problem 😉.  I have a plan for what I'm going to play next, then I end up liking what's in my bag so much I play it again and again.  I have way too many clubs that have never seen a golf course, not with me anyway.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Joe S said:

I have way too many clubs that have never seen a golf course, not with me anyway.  

Best line of the week, by far, Joe.

😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

6 hours ago, Joe S said:

It is a problem 😉.  I have a plan for what I'm going to play next, then I end up liking what's in my bag so much I play it again and again.  I have way too many clubs that have never seen a golf course, not with me anyway.  

You've got to be disciplined 😁 . 

I keep a spreadsheet of all my iron sets and there's a column for played or not played to try and make sure I play them all, but even then I struggle.

I've got 14 sets not yet played out of just over 60 sets.  Five of those 14 are pre-war so I'll not take them out until conditions are perfect, one is a ladies set so I doubt I'll ever play those and the remainder are just waiting for a day when the course isn't a mudbath (which it currently is) and there's no rain in the air.

• Like 4

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

7 hours ago, Joe S said:

The only reason I have clubs that have never seen a golf course with me--- Is because I have not had time to play them YET--- And trust me I have many new adventures to look forward to when I heal up--- Basically I will try any thing any brand---- And I will not lie and say I can hit them all--- Some will stay and some will be given away or traded-- But when it is on the line I will play my signature set

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

SgK8TJW.jpg

Top to bottom

The knockoff TM Burner Driver and the MCX Iron Sets were sold as a bundle for $9, the bag was $3, the 1 iron and the 10 iron were $.50 apiece, the Adams 3 wood was $2, the Adams 5H was another $2, the Ping Zing sand wedge was $2.50 and the putter is a brand new Ray Cook for $2.50.

That's a $22 WITB, assembled entirely from thrift shop scores.

• Like 3

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

7 hours ago, dcopp7 said:

What do you do with that 1 iron ^^^?

Nothing yet.  It was part of a BOGO deal with the 10 iron.  I've always been intrigued by the ultra low number irons though, so I'm eager to get it out on a range or something.

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

I definitely found a 3-PW set of Ping Eye 2's at the thrift shop today.  $16 later, I walked home with them.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag?

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter