Thrift Store Jackpot

On 5/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, stickfish said:

My area thrift stores must have insider trading, by the time I get a chance to browse all that is typically left are singles wedged in a barrel. Yesterday however while purusing the wife's FB account,  I typed 'golf' in the local marketplace.

Kristi · Used Golf Clubs. Make offer

Traveled a bit and this is what came home:. I post this in that others maybe like me are close to giving up the hunt.  Dreams can come true, a set of Apex Grinds with iron covers on, an Eye 2 which immediately went into the classic play bag, the first (?) $500 driver and a Wilson 8802 look-a-like.  All for a $35 asking price.  

Cheers,

<><

F0390907-86A0-481E-873C-BA10A59DA24F.jpeg

0CD85CF5-9BF3-4ED7-8710-61B6BE70CA5B.jpeg

6EA3588A-2D2C-4E22-A0D5-B3E6FEC523C2.jpeg

9F7E7BB2-5F52-41F8-9BFA-69EFA0CEC2D9.jpeg

C0BA1694-164C-4787-A3DF-06A6C1C6906D.jpeg

That is one sweet deal for $35.  Those  Hogans are basically new!

I find that Northwestern 1 iron interesting.  A friend of mine has the matching sand iron and I always thought that it was a loner but apparently it came from a set.  Neat!

I also have the same sand iron but it's not a Hubert Green - just a Shot-Saver.  That thing is the heaviest swingweighted club in my collection.  I don't remember the exact SW but it's like F or G or something crazy like that.  Pretty sure it would take a divot out of the pavement in the parking lot if the need were to arise, not that I would admit to it.  Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swingingk said:

I find that Northwestern 1 iron interesting.  A friend of mine has the matching sand iron and I always thought that it was a loner but apparently it came from a set.  Neat!

I also have the same sand iron but it's not a Hubert Green - just a Shot-Saver.  That thing is the heaviest swingweighted club in my collection.  I don't remember the exact SW but it's like F or G or something crazy like that.  Pretty sure it would take a divot out of the pavement in the parking lot if the need were to arise, not that I would admit to it.  Haha

Also included was a 45" Eye2 three wood with a Karsten shaft label, assume it was custom ordered that way.  It's about the same playing length of my G400 max.  There was an additional three wood more traditional length that is a dead ringer for an Eye2 except the sole plate is either  blank by design or has been ground.  

These all came from a country Pastor in a small rural Kentucky church from one of the congregation who had moved, makes me want to look him up.

Cheers,

<><

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This Macgregor iron was in a old bag I bought today.  I'm assuming that is a Tommy Armour stamp on the back, albeit it is a lighter stamp and a "sloppier" style of script than I've seen. I couldn't find anything about the GA210 stamp. It has a Dynamic shaft in it (the chrome has seen better days!), and a long leather grip that I suspect is original. Can anyone help with any info, date, etc?  Thanks in advance!

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 4:55 PM, becalmbecool said:

This Macgregor iron was in a old bag I bought today.  I'm assuming that is a Tommy Armour stamp on the back, albeit it is a lighter stamp and a "sloppier" style of script than I've seen. I couldn't find anything about the GA210 stamp. It has a Dynamic shaft in it (the chrome has seen better days!), and a long leather grip that I suspect is original. Can anyone help with any info, date, etc?  Thanks in advance!

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

Wow what a huge surprise it is to see one of those!  I found a partial set of those at a garage sale 7 or 8 years ago and posted  pictures here with the same questions and got very little feedback.  This model must be very rare as even the experts at the time knew little to nothing about them.  If I remember correctly it was a very knowledgeable member named Rex235 who said he thought they might be from around 1948 or 49.  That's all I found out and have not seen any other examples or gotten any more information in as many years of searching until you posted these pictures.

Like many here I've been dabbling in vintage gear for years and know my way around the stuff pretty good.  Out of all my sets and searches for goodies these Tommy Armour irons are the most elusive and mysterious.  Pretty cool.  I find myself wishing you had found my missing 6 iron!  😂

Thanks Swingingk, do you happen to be missing the 4 iron too?  I believe you're is Saskatoon, correct? I'm in Prince Albert, so only 90 miles away from you. The club was in an old Hogan bag I saw on Kijiji locally, mixed with a bunch of old Northwestern and Campbell clubs. I paid the $15 "firm" asking price just to get the bag (although I had spotted the Tourney club in the pic and thought at least there is one decent quality old club included).  Do yours have the GA210 stamp too?

On 6/7/2021 at 6:55 PM, becalmbecool said:

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

These look a lot like a set o MacGregor Byron Nelson irons I found earlier this year.  The "unrefined" Tommy Armour signature is similar to the Byron Nelson sig on mine.  They both look sloppy enough to have been done by hand.  This also looks like the same grip.  Much longer and a little thinner than later grips.  I decided that mine were pre-1950, which is as far back as I can go with my Maltby Identification guide.  

Here's my post on those.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, becalmbecool said:

Thanks Swingingk, do you happen to be missing the 4 iron too?  I believe you're is Saskatoon, correct? I'm in Prince Albert, so only 90 miles away from you. The club was in an old Hogan bag I saw on Kijiji locally, mixed with a bunch of old Northwestern and Campbell clubs. I paid the $15 "firm" asking price just to get the bag (although I had spotted the Tourney club in the pic and thought at least there is one decent quality old club included).  Do yours have the GA210 stamp too?

Haha!  $15 "firm".  That's great.  Very Saskatchewan.  😃

Yes I'm in Saskatoon and yes it's just a quick drive to P.A. fo this prairie boy.  We should do a vintage round at Cooke sometime.  Man that's a sweet track...

Anyway yes - mine have the GA210 stamp too.  I've got the set in the shed behind two sets of winter tires so I could only reach the 3 and 5 for pics.  Mine are 2 thru 9 but I think I'm only missing the 6.  I'll have to dig them out and see.

Perhaps these irons are some kind of Canadian only model which is why they are so unknown.  My grips have been replaced with Victory cords but you can see the remnants of the extra-long originals on some of them.  My set also came with a nice Ironmaster putter with matching ferrule which I thought was extremely cool.

1623301819049646836241.jpg

I had given it up for quite a while for various reasons, but I went DD'ing the other night (dumpster divin') and got a pretty nice little haul. 

I suspect pure profit - about $200 free cash as I listed several sets I scored. SO MANY clubs getting tossed at my spot. Bags, too. Got a Sun Mountain with a slight issue that I'll get fixed up. 

Good times..

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across a set (5-pw) of Eye2s, @$6.99 club. 

I snatched three of them I needed to fill out my other Eye2s. Should have just bought them all and kept their serial #s together (and their red dot). Oh well. 

• Like 1

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

• 2 weeks later...

Saved a set of Ram Pro Set Tour Grind irons last night from being sent to a landfill. Also a set of 845s (missing an 8, which I have in my stash), and an Odyssey Dual Force 440. Nice haul for free. 

• Like 4

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 3:00 PM, Swingingk said:

The Northwestern 1 Iron isn't part of a set.  Northwestern sold a line of "Shot Saver" utility irons for years.  The Hubert Green name came along later.  I mostly saw them at K-Mart, but I'm sure other places carried them as well.  They offered a 1 Iron, a Sand Wedge, two chippers, one with a single face and a "Two-Way" with two striking faces (non-conforming under the rules).  I don't know if the Hubert Green versions offered a Dual Wedge or a Pitching Wedge, but the older versions certainly did.

I had one of the 1 Irons as a kid.  Nicklaus used a 1 Iron so by gosh by golly I had to have one too!  I don't carry a 1 Iron anymore, but I still leave my glove on to putt!

Edited by Shallowface
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Like many, I really need to trim down the herd. In the meantime, I'm looking for larger golf bags as storage. Found this at a goodwill for $4.00.

IMG-0880.jpg

• Like 2

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, mbwannab said:

Picked these up for exactly $1 each. The m75 looks even more beautiful in person. Don’t care the Wilson says Patty Berg I love dyna-powers6110DDE9-D13D-440E-8508-9E925337EE2D.jpeg.70ed064fe8012849fb296220076888bd.jpeg

Arnold Palmer said in a interview  (I believe it was an In the Bag portion of Golf Magazine in 2002/03) his first clubs were Wilson Patty Bergs.  I wa snot yet real versed on golf history and thought Patty was a man.  I shortly learned differently. 😀

On 12/14/2021 at 12:10 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Been awhile, never thought Id have to resurrect the thrift shop thread!

Recent purchases from various nearby shops:

Woods to all be for the most part tenderly repaired if I ever have time. Irons to be played. I am aware the top-flite irons are different years, (with different shafts) but they dovetailed nicely as a 3-5-7-9 iron half set. 

Stan Thompson wooden putter to be cherished forever.

IMG_20211213_205627263.jpg

IMG_20211213_205216882.jpg

IMG_20211213_205140058.jpg

IMG_20211213_205100320.jpg

IMG_20211129_214014405.jpg

Back in the day I had a model 41 Spalding 4 1/2 wood--- That thing was a pocket rocket--- Carried it for years until it split wide open one day---- I went to a H&B (not Power Bilt) 4 wood that was also a little rocket. I still have it

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

2 hours ago, mbwannab said:

Picked these up for exactly $1 each. The m75 looks even more beautiful in person. Don’t care the Wilson says Patty Berg I love dyna-powers6110DDE9-D13D-440E-8508-9E925337EE2D.jpeg.70ed064fe8012849fb296220076888bd.jpeg

Unless abused,  those M series were almost indestructible.  With tour shafts, they could hold up a sail. 

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Holy cow, what a day.

Hogan Edge GCD irons plus 2 Cleveland wedges for $20.  If my research is correct, this variant of the Hogan Edge GCD (that is, the single word "HOGAN" instead of "Ben Hogan") puts these at a mid-90s debut.

A mess of single clubs for $1 apiece, including 2 Mizuno wedges, an Adams Tight Lies 5 iron, an Acushnet Titleist Bullseye putter, a Titleist DCI 8 iron, and a Taylor Made wedge.

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

• Like 4

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H