2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf courses in Manila

sir_templar2

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in Manila are you planning to stay and for how long ?

Shambles

I am planning on staying at the Hyatt City of Dreams for 4 nights.

You are pretty much stuck in Manila or wherever that place is. Traffic here is so bad it averages about 7 kilometers per hour a nd you only get relief by staying out of Manila or the area thereof.

Your best bet is Wack Wack in Mandaluyong but it's a private club. Forest Hills is Private and in Quezon City, kind of the outskirts, and Valley Golf in Marikina, also Private but the allow walk ins on the lesser course. There are many courses that are closer but they are public and do not offer much more than grass and a hole to putt into. I neglected to add Sun Valley, also in Quezon City, which is a first class public course. It was first class anyway when it first opened but was heavily used by both the locals and foreigners.

We have a wealth of great courses but they are mostly outside of Metro Manila, worth about a 2 or 3 hour trip depending on which part of MM you are from. Best is to open the Phone directory and call them first to make arrangements, Many of them have members who are living in MM but have their own cars and know how to travel at the right times and can reserve pretty much the whole day for Golf because of the travel time.

Shambles

shambles is spot on with regards to the traffic situation in manila and that's why i live in subic!!

the courses he mentioned however are all within the metro or east of manila wherein traffic is still bad but there are other courses south of mania where traffic is more manageable if you can leave early..

among the courses i would recommend are southwoods(36 holes), east ridge(they have 72 holes), canlubang(36 holes), and sherwood(18 holes)..

although these are all private membership clubs they can also accept walk-ins specially on weekdays..

am pretty sure the concierge of your hotel can assist you there..

BTW the courses i mentioned are all world-class and all-weather and have held numerous national and international events both for pros and amateurs...

unless you can leave your hotel before 6am your other option is to leave after 9am to avoid heavy traffic..

considering your location eagle ridge with their four(4) 18-hole courses would be your best bet..

PS..iirc the 4 courses at eagle ridge were each designed by greg norman/bernhard langer/isao aoki/seve ballesteros..

hope this helps..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

If Golf were the primary purpose of your travel I would think staying in the South or North would serve you best. Unfortunately these days I know little of the North because I only travel North once a year and spend the rest of the time avoiding it as much as possible because of the traffic in MM. A little unfortunate for me as many Koreans have a come to the same conclusion as I and are flooding many of the facilities and even setting up business in the South. Nice people actually, but the days of solo and slow walks through empty fairways are now gone for me. Regardless, most of these " Private " courses actually allow walk ins. Best is still to call first and make arrangements. It will save you precious time.

My favorite course in the South is Ayala Greenfields which is in Calamba at the end of the South Super Highway. A hefty bit of travel and slightly pricy, but considering that you have so little time here, I would choose the very best to make the whole trip more worthy and encourage a return in greater numbers and with much more time to do a proper tour. I consider this course the best because every hole gives me a view worth seeing and is not anything like the rows of fairways laid out one beside the other. All the courses in the South are worth a visit but Ayala Greenfields is the best in my eyes.

Shambles

i haven't played ayala greenfields but heard many good things about it but if you're willing to go in that area i would highly recommend the canlubang 36-hole complex composed of the north and south courses..

the north course provides a complete view on every hole from the tee to the green and the south course has several interesting holes against a backdrop of the enchanted mt. makiling.

should you have time to go north of manila you should not miss the anvaya cove golf and country in bataan which is about a 3 hr drive from manila passing thru subic and voted the best new course in asia a few years back..

as shambles mentioned you should really plan on coming back for a pure golfing holiday next time..

..and the best months for this weather wise would be between october to feb..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

i haven't played ayala greenfields but heard many good things about it but if you're willing to go in that area i would highly recommend the canlubang 36-hole complex composed of the north and south courses..

the north course provides a complete view on every hole from the tee to the green and the south course has several interesting holes against a backdrop of the enchanted mt. makiling.

should you have time to go north of manila you should not miss the anvaya cove golf and country in bataan which is about a 3 hr drive from manila passing thru subic and voted the best new course in asia a few years back..

as shambles mentioned you should really plan on coming back for a pure golfing holiday next time..

Funny, I was planning to have some coffee with you last year but was so lacking in health I was not even able to get to Subic. I sent my maid and driver to attend to my errands and also do a little shopping, which made them very happy. Unfortunately I ended up with a sand blaster with no sand anywhere I have been able to see.

Back to topic.

Regardless of living North or South, if you do a private golf tour, a car is almost a necessity. The alternative is to join a Golf tour run by an operator who supplies a bus and people to attend to you the whole day. I've only seen this done for Koreans but you might find a way or look around and take a chance. Such tours are done with a hefty number of people and they are all taken to a Golf course that the operator has chosen. I've seen a lot of them in Sherewood and Eagle Ridge.

I've heard of Anvaya and some friends have played there, but it's a trip I never made. Too bad. I heard it was way good looking at the edge of the ocean so there were a couple of views to look for. Luisita is also worth a visit if you can get in and are willing to bear the heat. I called it heaqven in an oven. Great course but the heat begins between 8 and 9 in the morning.

Shambles

• 1 month later...

i have to agree with most everything said here so far...

i play in the city if i have to to keep my game swing ready, but the quality of the courses are not so great... the exceptions are Wack Wack and Manila Golf (if you can find a member). i've played all the public courses, and the best for me is villamor, the air force course, but never recommend playing it. Intramuros is fun, cheap and quick, but, again.... if this is a golfing holiday it is best to travel outside the city...

up north ive played the new sunvalley courses in clark, which are fantastic, carts required but the caddies are relatively hopeless... mimosa, also in clark is a little more weathered, but they have recently been bought and is now closed for a few weeks for the turnover. the mountain course is perhaps best there...

my favorite course in the entire country is Mount Malarayat, in Lipa, about 90 minutes south of City of Dreams. it's a private club but if you stay at the rooms you get a walk-on rate. the caddies are really good, and the 27-hole course is immaculate. the food is decent, and the pool and other amenities are worth it. but beware: there is ZERO nightlife in Lipa.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd chime in on this thread. move to the Philippines 2.5 years ago (Makati) and my coworkers and I play the following public course regularly.

Sun Valley

Valley Golf

Southlinks

Villamore

If anyone is up for a round with a few weekend warriors (we shoot between 95-105 lol) send me a PM. Also up for checking out new courses!

Cobra Fly-Z+ 10.5 Driver
Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood
Cobra Fly-Z 3 Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell 4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 Irons: 4-PW
Cleveland CG14 55' & 60'
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.onintwogolf.com[/url]

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.g[/url][url="http://www.golfrefinement.com"]olfrefinement.com[/url]

Just thought I'd chime in on this thread. move to the Philippines 2.5 years ago (Makati) and my coworkers and I play the following public course regularly.

Sun Valley

Valley Golf

Southlinks

Villamore

If anyone is up for a round with a few weekend warriors (we shoot between 95-105 lol) send me a PM. Also up for checking out new courses!

bad timing, as I'm moving to Cebu for work over the next 6-8 months...

I strongly recommend hitting whatever prestige clubs you can. Malarayat has a stay-in package. South Forbes in Cavite is a great little club open to the public. and then travel another 15km across Santa Rosa to Canlubang and walk-on there after 11am on a weekday and play one of the great courses this country has to offer...

if yer willing to travel another 30-60 minutes south of Southlinks, there are some wonderful places to hit (or go another 20 minutes north of Angeles to Tarlac and play at Luisita, another gem, when staying at the nearby property hotel)

Edel E-1

Sun Valley

Valley Golf

Southlinks

Villamore

bad timing, as I'm moving to Cebu for work over the next 6-8 months...

I strongly recommend hitting whatever prestige clubs you can. Malarayat has a stay-in package. South Forbes in Cavite is a great little club open to the public. and then travel another 15km across Santa Rosa to Canlubang and walk-on there after 11am on a weekday and play one of the great courses this country has to offer...

if yer willing to travel another 30-60 minutes south of Southlinks, there are some wonderful places to hit (or go another 20 minutes north of Angeles to Tarlac and play at Luisita, another gem, when staying at the nearby property hotel)

I got to play at Luisita last year. Very nice course but we ended up playing during a downpour of rain. May try to check it out again in Q1 of next year. My coworkers and I are starting to get sick of the local courses in Manila. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep them in mind for the xmas holidays!

Cobra Fly-Z+ 10.5 Driver
Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood
Cobra Fly-Z 3 Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell 4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 Irons: 4-PW
Cleveland CG14 55' & 60'
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.onintwogolf.com[/url]

[url="http://www.onintwogolf.com"]http://www.g[/url][url="http://www.golfrefinement.com"]olfrefinement.com[/url]

• 5 weeks later...

Heading to Phils in Feb...hope to get in at least 3 rounds.

Of course ,I'll do my weekday night golf at Intramuros one day after work - not great golf, but always a lot of fun

Maybe I'll give Lusita or St Elena a shot...I've played Southwoods, Canlubang & Sherwood

or try to wrangle an invite to Manila CC - I've played Wack Wack but never MCC.

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Of course ,I'll do my weekday night golf at Intramuros one day after work - not great golf, but always a lot of fun

Maybe I'll give Lusita or St Elena a shot...I've played Southwoods, Canlubang & Sherwood

no more night golf at Intramuros, pal...

I was told by my regular caddy there that there hasn't been since around November 2015 when a typhoon knocked down some of the light standards and the cost to reinstall was evidently exorbitant...

I love a tiny tight course about 10km northeast of Canlubang, across Santa Rosa Rd., called South Forbes. Excellent course, rather hard with very very few flat lies...

Southlinks is new as of two years ago, never played but people like it a lot... Capital Hills is near UP Diliman, a course I play a lot, love, and again is a bit tougher due to narrow-ish fairways, short tiny greens and challenging lies... keep your driver at home for that course...

Never played Sta. Elena, but Luisita is wonderful. New GM for the course there came from Cebu CC and has really turned the place into a nice sharp experience...

Edel E-1

I would love to play Anvaya Cove... but I've tried about three different ways to get on there but there are no walk-ons and they eliminated the hotel-play-on package...

Edel E-1

no more night golf at Intramuros, pal...

I was told by my regular caddy there that there hasn't been since around November 2015 when a typhoon knocked down some of the light standards and the cost to reinstall was evidently exorbitant...

oh wow...yeah, last time I was there was 2014...hadn't heard that - terrible. :cry:

I loved going out and teeing off at 5 pm after work and playing under the lights

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

oh good news!

I'll definite go & pay...hope it helps. Be there in mid-Feb

so is it all the way at the back that they didn't relight?I think 8 & 9?

Can remember going for that green with a hybrid - usually about 220...the last hole before you turn back along the fortress walls

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

shambles is spot on with regards to the traffic situation in manila and that's why i live in subic!!

the courses he mentioned however are all within the metro or east of manila wherein traffic is still bad but there are other courses south of mania where traffic is more manageable if you can leave early..

among the courses i would recommend are southwoods(36 holes), east ridge(they have 72 holes), canlubang(36 holes), and sherwood(18 holes)..

although these are all private membership clubs they can also accept walk-ins specially on weekdays..

am pretty sure the concierge of your hotel can assist you there..

BTW the courses i mentioned are all world-class and all-weather and have held numerous national and international events both for pros and amateurs...

unless you can leave your hotel before 6am your other option is to leave after 9am to avoid heavy traffic..

considering your location eagle ridge with their four(4) 18-hole courses would be your best bet..

PS..iirc the 4 courses at eagle ridge were each designed by greg norman/bernhard langer/isao aoki/seve ballesteros..

hope this helps..

Thanks for posting. I was just in Manila and, sadly, didn't get to play any golf. It's exciting to hear there are legit courses to play!

No idea. It was on one of my friend's FB posts.

I think trial run for night golf is only til January 31.

I almost aced that hole with a 4wood. 2 footer for eagle.

Ok, i'll check it out when I'm there in Feb - and post back here if they are running night golf or not...thanks

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

I saw a taxi in my parking lot at my club and asked the driver why he was there. Turns out his tourists had hired him for the day from Manila and he was acting as a private car for them. Kind of clever by my book as it solved the car problem and provided them with a driver too. You might think on that for future trips as it comes out good enough if there are two or three of you. Just make your own bargain with the driver. Some of them are just as well sick of Manila traffic but needing the day's income and also need to save gas. Might be a plus both ways.

Shambles

Ok, i'll check it out when I'm there in Feb - and post back here if they are running night golf or not...thanks

It looked like they were when I was there in December. We took a tour of Intramuros and on the way back the course was lit.

Yeah, but it definitely says on their Fb page "Thru Jan 31 only"...so we will see

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 3 weeks later...

Just arrived in Manila...now Intramuros has extended the night golf until end of Feb. So maybe will get out there 1 eve.

Anyone else here looking for a game? I'm avail Fri (2/17) & Sun (2/19)...was trying to get on Wack Wack - so far no go.

Have a connection at Orchard, but not sure if it will come thru.

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Played Intramuros yesterday in the sur[prise downpour - was a group outing.

Nice game except the rain...leaving tomorrow, but will be back several times in 2017

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2