Callaway XR irons with graphite shafts

e-man

Hey guys. The time has come. I'm 48, 5.5 index, SS 93 with the driver, bad forearm and back pain, and I need to make the switch to graphite.

I've done some searching and it seems like there are two graphite shaft options -- Project X SD and Recoil.

Could those of you who play the XRs in graphite chime in and let us know what shaft and flex you play and how it's going? It would also be helpful to know your ss with the driver.

e

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most important aspect of finding the right graphite shaft for you has to do with finding the best weight for you. Usually much more important than flex. What weight shafts are you coming from?

Unfortunately (for some), the choices are limited to fairly light weight options so you have to be careful about going too light. When that happens it can have potential consequences on general rhythm and tempo and can effect your consistency and accuracy (as well as other aspects of the swing). Most are also mid to higher launching shaft options.

Looks like the (no-cost) upgrades are the following:

PX SD Reg + Stiff - 58 gm

Recoil 660 Reg - 71 gm or Recoil 680 Stiff - 82 gm

Recoil 450 Reg - 62 gm or Recoil 460 Stiff - 67 gm

Mistubishi Rayon Kuro Kage 70/50 - looks like about 71 gm for R and 74 gm for stiff.

Have not seen much feedback on the PX's or KK's but recoils tend to be fairly popular (assuming you get the right weight).

I got fitted to a set of XR's in december 2015. I tried 3 different graphite shafts, and ended up with Project X 4.5 A-flex.

Because of the winter I have not played many rounds with them. My Game Golf stats suggest that I hit the same distances as with my previous set (Calla RAZR X with steel shafts), but I expect to get more distance when I get to do more practice. Bottom line is that I feel the clubs responding better, and coming faster of the face, so I'm still positive.

My swing speed with the driver is normally between 90-93. I bought the XR driver with the same shaft.

Good luck with your purchase

BTW I play of a 25 hcp

Thanks guys.

Stuart -- I've been playing x14s when uniflex steel shafts for the last 15 years. The shaft is 108g, as I recall. I've had great success with them. I recently bought a set of xhots with the speedstep 85g shaft (both in regular and stiff) and they're okay, but not great. My father in law has a set of cobra s3's with regular flex graphite and those seemed a tad light to me, but nothing that I couldn't get used to.

With respect to the recoils, I see the 660 is regular flex and the 680 is stiff flex. Does the added stiffness come from the extra weight?

51 yrs. old, 92-95 SS. I would go with Recoil F4 stock with Callaway. Great combo with the XRs. Long!

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I have the XRs with graphite shafts (see signature below). They were fit and are perfect for my physical issues and my game.

But to recommend something to you, given your sensitivity to shafts, is silly. If you take someone's opinion on here without hitting a variety of shafts with a fitter, you are setting yourself up to be miserable without considerable luck.

Oh, driver SS 90 mph.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Thanks guys.

Stuart -- I've been playing x14s when uniflex steel shafts for the last 15 years. The shaft is 108g, as I recall. I've had great success with them. I recently bought a set of xhots with the speedstep 85g shaft (both in regular and stiff) and they're okay, but not great. My father in law has a set of cobra s3's with regular flex graphite and those seemed a tad light to me, but nothing that I couldn't get used to.

Hard to say for sure but it sounds like you might be better off with something in the 90-95 gm range. It's possible you may be able to adjust but it's not guaranteed. Some people can, others can have a hard time. At about your age (a little younger actually), I spent 2-3 years trying to "get used to" 85 gm shafts and never really could. I still do better with 95-100 gm shafts. I might do alright with 90 if I up the swing weight a bit.

Callaway offers the Recoil 95's (reg flex) for some of the higher end irons like Apex's - if you call up, there's a small chance you might be able to get them to put those in the XR's for you.

With respect to the recoils, I see the 660 is regular flex and the 680 is stiff flex. Does the added stiffness come from the extra weight?

No. Not really. Weight and stiffness are fairly independent design characteristics. UST only makes the 660 in senior and regular flex and then only makes the 680 in stiff flex. They are just making some assumptions that those with the slower swing speeds are more likely to prefer the lighter shaft - basically they don't think there would be enough demand to make both weights in all flexes.

Callaway golf preowned is currently having their spring test drive, so I can take a chance on a set at pretty much no risk other then paying for shipping to and from. Does anyone have experience comparing the apex versus the XR? I would think the XR would be more forgiving.

Probably, but "more forgiving" can mean different things to different individuals so it's hard to say exactly how much improvement you, specifically, might see. If I remember correctly (for last years models), the apex's were also marketed to have a higher cor face. Whether it's as high or forgiving as the XR's is hard to say. To me the biggest difference would be in the lofts and the amount of offset. Which one would be more suited to your game is not something I could say.

Just remember, if you do look at the apex's, is that I believe for the recoil 95/110 shaft option, 'stiff' means 110 gm, reg means 95 gm.

Does anyone have experience comparing the apex versus the XR? I would think the XR would be more forgiving.

I hit some XR 7i's, then some Apex this morning, actually. FWIW, here are the comparisons on the GC2. I will say, I was starting to get a little lazy with the Apex, when hitting them, but the XR is definitely more forgiving.

I hit some XR 7i's, then some Apex this morning, actually. FWIW, here are the comparisons on the GC2. I will say, I was starting to get a little lazy with the Apex, when hitting them, but the XR is definitely more forgiving.

Was that comparison with the same shaft? Doesn't look like it but you never know until you ask :-)

Was that comparison with the same shaft? Doesn't look like it but you never know until you ask :-)

The xr was with a reg flex speed step while the apex was with reg flex xp 95. I'm not sure how much was actually laziness vs shaft difference, but the apex definitely felt heavier.