2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Panama City Beach Course Recommendations

5 O'Clock Charlie

Tried to do a search and didn't see anything recent on this area.

Any locals have any advice for courses there? Me and the wife are down there from the April 14-21.

Going with another couple and he likes The Hombre. I also have read up on Bay Pointe so we will be playing these 2.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any locals have any advice for courses there? Me and the wife are down there from the April 14-21.

Going with another couple and he likes The Hombre. I also have read up on Bay Pointe so we will be playing these 2.

I would suggest Holiday Golf, they have very nice greens. Also, Windswept Dunes is very nice.

I would suggest Holiday Golf, they have very nice greens. Also, Windswept Dunes is very nice.

Thank you, those are on our list! I hear that The Hombre lost half of their greens, is this correct?

Thank you, those are on our list! I hear that The Hombre lost half of their greens, is this correct?

I know they did last year, I have not been down since December. Personally, I think toy will enjoy Bat Point, Holiday and Windswept Dunes more anyway. You could drive some distance and play some of the courses towards Destin.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 5 rounds in the area. Played both Bay Pointe Courses (Meadows and Nicklaus), Windswept Dunes and Holiday twice.

Holiday has the best greens in the area by far. Smooth, not damaged, very well maintained. Good layout too for a city course. Pace of play was great on both Saturday and Wednesday.

Bay Pointe was rough when it came to the conditions of the greens. Nicklaus is losing greens to the point that they had to try to put sod in on numerous holes. It's a shame because the layout is fun. I think the layout on Nicklaus is better than the Meadows. Greens on Meadows were better, but kinda shaggy. Tee to green both courses were ok, with an edge to Nicklaus.

Service at Bay Pointe is outstanding - shout out to Ryan in the shop and his crew, they were great!

Windswept was fun. Huge greens, good shape, plenty of room off the tees. Save the $3.00 on the yardage book - not much help, better to bring a range finder with you as not many sprinkler heads to use. This was a problem on Par 3 tees which I had to guess most of the day because my laser went out on me and the free apps on the phone suck.

Thanks for starting this thread OP. Mind if I hijack it?

Heading down in a few weeks for vacation in nearby Rosemary Beach. The wife has me on a budget this year, so Sharks Tooth and Camp Creek are probably not going to happen. Damn shame too, because Camp Creek is one of my favorites.

Based on the above, I'll try out Windswept and Holiday. Any other wallet friendly options? Also, any online booking options for the area other than Teeoff.com or golfnow.com?

Thanks!

Taylormade M2
Ping Rapture 3 Wood 13.5*
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 16*
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Scratch 8620 Wedges 50* & 58*
Bettinardi Inovai

Based on the above, I'll try out Windswept and Holiday. Any other wallet friendly options? Also, any online booking options for the area other than Teeoff.com or golfnow.com?

Thanks!

Windswept Dunes comes with my highest recommendation. Holiday didn't excite me all that much. I just played the Bay Point Meadows, and it was nothing exciting. The Nicklaus course there is supposed to be much more interesting, but as was mentioned above, be cautious of the greens, although I didn't see anything to raise a red flag about. You are also close to Sandestin, so that's always an option if you can find a deal. The lady I was playing with said that the Hombre had lost their greens, so stay away for now I guess.

Thanks for starting this thread OP. Mind if I hijack it?

Heading down in a few weeks for vacation in nearby Rosemary Beach. The wife has me on a budget this year, so Sharks Tooth and Camp Creek are probably not going to happen. Damn shame too, because Camp Creek is one of my favorites.

Thanks!

If you don't mind driving, check out http://www.blackstonegolfcourse.com/, it's probably 45 minute drive from Rosemary Beach. I like Windswept Dunes and I like Holiday just as much, Holiday is a tighter course, but the greens are very nice. Nothing special for the layout, but it's not $150 either.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Windswept yesterday and really enjoyed it. Ended up playing the blue tees and it was just right for me. LOTS of forced carries. Also lots of decisions to be made off the tee box with regard to the line you want to take, i.e. longer carry over a hazard for a shorter 2nd shot, or safer tee shot with a long 2nd shot. The course conditions were excellent and the pace of play was fairly quick. There was some jackass in a twosome ahead of us that tried to play two balls on a couple of holes (nobody ahead of them for a couple of holes). I yelled up at him the third time I noticed him doing it and he didn't do it again.

I am going to get one more round in, but haven't decided where yet.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

Heres a more recent thread...

anyone had their pro get them on at Camp Creek?

Just talked to mine to see. Hes gonna give it a shot.

Yes. I have played there many times it's my favorite course in the area.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I played Regatta Bay yesterday. Not a bad course by any means, but I left unimpressed. I definitely prefer Windswept Dunes.

Really?? You really liked windswept dunes better than Regatta? I thought Regatta was very nice much better than most of the Destin courses. Windswept was ok but not worth the drive IMO.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

I stayed in Rosemary Beach, so Windswept and Regatta were essentially equidistant. There just weren't any memorable holes at Regatta plus the greens were really bad (a month after aerification ). On the other hand, there were 3-4 really fun holes and several other good ones at Windswept.

One area where Regatta was much better, however, was staff. The folks at Regatta were much more friendly and helpful.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

I stayed in Rosemary Beach, so Windswept and Regatta were essentially equidistant. There just weren't any memorable holes at Regatta plus the greens were really bad (a month after aerification ). On the other hand, there were 3-4 really fun holes and several other good ones at Windswept.

One area where Regatta was much better, however, was staff. The folks at Regatta were much more friendly and helpful.

Got ya, for me windswept was kind of forgettable. Of course, I played them about a year apart.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

Just played Hombre today as a birthday gift from my kids. Don't waste your money ! The ugly 9 is closed until August/September, the bad 9 greens were redone last year and are in bad shape. A lot of bare spots and a lot of areas where they have just put big patches of sod down on the greens. The good 9 has always been terrible and remains that way. I cannot believe they charged my daughter $60 for me to play this dump. They want to continue to advertise that the bad and ugly nines used to hold the PGA Q School and it did about 5 to 6 years ago, but a high school event should not be held on the course now.

Just played Hombre today as a birthday gift from my kids. Don't waste you money ! The ugly 9 is closed until August/September, the bad 9 greens were redone last year and are in bad shape. A lot of bare spots and a lot of areas where they have just put big patches of sod down on the greens. The good 9 has always been terrible and remains that way. I cannot believe they charged my daughter $60 for me to play this dump. They want to continue to advertise that the bad and ugly nines used to hold the PGA Q School and it did about 5 to 6 years ago, but a high school event should not be held on the course now.

That's sad, I really like hombre's layout. Greens were bad last time I played there 2 years ago

Vokeys SM9 56,60

I'll be down in Laguna Beach (outside PCB) the week of July 4th. I'll definitely be playing Windswept Dunes. I've played it for the last few years, by far best course in the PCB area! Holiday is ok, but not worth the money. There is a fun course to play in Lynn Haven called Nature Walk. I haven't played it about 2 years but was worth the $25 I paid. Mostly par 3's and par 4's are fairly short. Overall fun course.

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3, 4, 5 hybrid
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

• 2 weeks later...

You can get on both.. I called today and talked to the Pro at Camp (195$ plus tax) Just had to get my local guy to call and set it up.. I'll be there this weekend and next week. I have played everything in Destin including Camp and Shark, But yet to try Windswept so I'm going to hit it up.

My suggestion, save $135 and play Windswept Dunes or better yet, play Windswept Dunes 3 times. Camp Creek is a great golf course, but not worth $195.

You can get on both.. I called today and talked to the Pro at Camp (195$ plus tax) Just had to get my local guy to call and set it up.. I'll be there this weekend and next week. I have played everything in Destin including Camp and Shark, But yet to try Windswept so I'm going to hit it up.

My suggestion, save $135 and play Windswept Dunes or better yet, play Windswept Dunes 3 times. Camp Creek is a great golf course, but not worth $195.

I agree with this. As much as I like Camp Creek, it's tough to beat Windswept from a "bang for buck" perspective.

Camp Creek is great, but it's definitely not $130 better than Windswept, not even close.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Agree with the above. I really enjoy Camp Creek and have played it a half-dozen times or so. Last time I played it I played as a guest to a Troon member. It was around $135. Paying that much increased my expectations and took some enjoyment out of it for me. Windswept was well worth the $48 I paid. I'd easily play it 3-4 times before playing Camp Creek at the current price.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

Leaving tomorrow. We'll be down there all next week as well. Playing Santa Rosa Beach Sunday, only because of convenience. Well groomed track, just not the best layout.

Played Windswept Dunes for the first time last year. Will definitely being going back this year.

TM M1 430 9.5* GD Tour AD DI 7X
TM M1 17 Tour 14.5* GD Tour AD DI 8X
Srixon U65 18* Miyaki 7 Utility
TM P790's Nippon Pro Modus 120 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 3.0 CB 50*/54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Played the Bay Point Meadows course earlier this week and had a great time! Few spots on greens were a little rough but we had a great time.

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]