Vice Golf "Local Legend 2016" Hat Review

Finally got a response for my most recent email and it reads:

"Customer Care (Vice Golf)

Apr 18, 13:58

Dear Mr Ryan,

thank you again for your expressing your opinions, please regard that such are certainly passed onto the the management, we always seek to improve and resolve problems and bring new products to the market but as you are accepting the cap in the condition supplied with only a minor issue regarding the strap which was an unfortunate but necessary change to the design. We will certainly address such issues for future promotions. We stand by our offer of the 3 PRO+ balls free of charge to your next order.

Please note that any return would be gratefully accepted as we already have a waiting list for any Legend Caps that find there way back to us."

1) I made it plenty clear that it was more than just the white strap that I was unhappy with.

2) They want to gratefully accept the hat so that they can ship it off to someone else who's on a waiting list.

Just... wow...

Honestly what did you think they were gonna do? Refund you?

What would have made you happy in this situation?

Taylormade Sim 2 Graphite design AD GP 6
Titleist TSI3 GD AD DI 7
Titleist 716 CB 3-9 Dynamic gold Tour issue S400
Titleist SM7 Vokey 46.50.54.60 DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron T22 fastback Murdered out

IG _Flagrant

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a response for my most recent email and it reads:

"Customer Care (Vice Golf)

Apr 18, 13:58

Dear Mr Ryan,

thank you again for your expressing your opinions, please regard that such are certainly passed onto the the management, we always seek to improve and resolve problems and bring new products to the market but as you are accepting the cap in the condition supplied with only a minor issue regarding the strap which was an unfortunate but necessary change to the design. We will certainly address such issues for future promotions. We stand by our offer of the 3 PRO+ balls free of charge to your next order.

Please note that any return would be gratefully accepted as we already have a waiting list for any Legend Caps that find there way back to us."

1) I made it plenty clear that it was more than just the white strap that I was unhappy with.

2) They want to gratefully accept the hat so that they can ship it off to someone else who's on a waiting list.

Just... wow...

Did you want a free bowl of soup?

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

I've got the standard Vice navy hat and I love it. Also playing the Pro Plus. I don't see myself moving away from Vice gear any time soon...super happy with the quality so far. Sorry to hear about your hat situation though! Hopefully they'll respond and give you more info. Seem like a good company as far as I can tell.

Brian - does the Pro Plus play like the ProV1X?

For me, absolutely. I'm probably not the type of person who is going to notice a 5% drop off in performance between the two, but my metrics I'm going off of are spin and feel. The ball is the perfect blend of soft and clicky, if that makes sense. Greenside spin is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and I'm totally happy with the ball off the tee as well. I've really been enjoying this ball the last five or six months it's been in play for me. Looks good to boot, and I always know it's mine because I've never seen another out there.

On second thought, this ball stinks! Stay away (so I can always avoid confusion).

I've got the standard Vice navy hat and I love it. Also playing the Pro Plus. I don't see myself moving away from Vice gear any time soon...super happy with the quality so far. Sorry to hear about your hat situation though! Hopefully they'll respond and give you more info. Seem like a good company as far as I can tell.

Brian - does the Pro Plus play like the ProV1X?

Also, come out and play sometime with me. I'll let you give the Plus a run.

To those wondering what I'm looking for in this situation, I certainly wasn't looking to pay anything else. They didn't offer to refund me for shipping the hat back, and they'll only compensate me a sleeve of balls if I buy a dozen more.

So to have the audacity to ask me to pay more to be compensated for something that was falsely advertised is unacceptable. If all they can compensate me is a sleeve of balls, at least ship them out to me free of charge and don't make me pay $30+shipping just to get them.

Even a bowl of soup would have been better than what they've offered so far. I've told them that I'm active on forums and will be very vocal about this situation. It seems like they really don't care.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

It's quite bothersome that they seemingly don't care to make things right. A free sleeve with the next purchase is pathetic. Even if they offered a refund and paid return shipping I'd be happy for you but they couldn't even do that. The most frustrating part to me is how they act like it's ok to sell a product that is different that what's pictured. I really like the hat but I won't be doing anymore business with them based on how they handled this.

So I got a reply yesterday and the just of it:

- We made a sample hat and took pics of it and out them on the website.

- We changed the snap back to white because the green one didn't match.

- You can return it on your own dime if you want.

- We'll give you a sleeve of balls if you decide to BUY a box from us.

Lame. I replied back and claimed false advertising, but I proposed that I wanted to write something nice about thier products and that they should send me a free hat or a box of balls that I could write a nice review on and show the company wants to take care of their customers.

No reply yet, running on 2 business days.

Wait, wait, wait. Let's review:

1. Every computer monitor is different. Colors are represented differently from company to company, and from panel to panel. That green isn't going to be the same on your laptop, your phone, or your TV (unless they're all calibrated identically). 5% desaturated isn't a big deal.

2. They never claimed the metal thing on the back was a ball marker. It's just an interesting touch.

3. Plenty of companies charge return shipping fees...

4. How did they word the offer for a free sleeve of balls? If it was something like "If/when you decide to purchase balls from us, we'd be happy to toss in a free sleeve..." well, that's not bad.

5. You bought a hat worth $25. You want to keep that hat, and get another hat or golf balls, both of which are worth equal or more value than the hat you bought? Come on. It's unethical on your part to want that just to write a good review, and to be honest, would it really change your mind about the company if they gave you free stuff because you asked for it? I thought goodwill was supposed to be spontaneous, not because the customer demands it. It'd also be unethical if they gave you that stuff in return for a good review, which is the equivalent of a politician buying votes.

I dunno man. I'm sorry that the hat didn't live up to your expectations, but if you're that upset about it and don't want it, there are plenty of us around here who'd buy it off of you.

It's quite bothersome that they seemingly don't care to make things right. A free sleeve with the next purchase is pathetic. Even if they offered a refund and paid return shipping I'd be happy for you but they couldn't even do that. The most frustrating part to me is how they act like it's ok to sell a product that is different that what's pictured. I really like the hat but I won't be doing anymore business with them based on how they handled this.

They offered a refund...but he'd have to pay return shipping. Plenty of companies do this. Most companies do this, based on my online shopping experiences. They also offered free stuff, just not the free stuff he wants (or not enough).

They offered a refund...but he'd have to pay return shipping. Plenty of companies do this. Most companies do this, based on my online shopping experiences. They also offered free stuff, just not the free stuff he wants (or not enough).

This doesn't fly in this case. The item he ordered was not what was advertised. They should have returned his money and paid the return shipping or, like a LOT of companies do on small items, just returned his money without the need to ship it back. Offering free crap because they shipped you something that was not what was advertised is a red herring.

This doesn't fly in this case. The item he ordered was not what was advertised. They should have returned his money and paid the return shipping or, like a LOT of companies do on small items, just returned his money without the need to ship it back. Offering free crap because they shipped you something that was not what was advertised is a red herring.

I get the frustration, and I'm not trying to come off as a d**k, but the item is "limited run", so it's less small item and more "Hey, someone else will buy this." If it were my company, at the very least, I'd eat the shipping cost. We're in agreement there (and on the snapback being white, not green). But it's clear he's unhappy with the hat, so why offer to let him keep something he doesn't want? Is letting the customer keep something they've deemed falsely advertised really going to make it right? At the end of the day, the customer can still say "But they sent me something that I didn't order". Now Vice gets the hat back, sells it, and makes their money. That's their end game.

Were it my business, I'd probably eat the cost and tell them to keep the hat and refund the money...but I don't work for or run Vice. It just rubs me the wrong way when people demand free stuff because they didn't like what they ordered.

***Yes, the snapback is white, not green. I get that that's part of the point of contention. I also understand that may have been the deal breaker. I also understand it's annoying to have to pay for shipping to return the hat and only get 2/3 of what you paid for it back, but it happens. You aren't going to buy everything and love it every time. Life is annoying sometimes. It's just a hat.***

I get the frustration, and I'm not trying to come off as a d**k, but the item is "limited run", so it's less small item and more "Hey, someone else will buy this." If it were my company, at the very least, I'd eat the shipping cost. We're in agreement there (and on the snapback being white, not green). But it's clear he's unhappy with the hat, so why offer to let him keep something he doesn't want? Is letting the customer keep something they've deemed falsely advertised really going to make it right? At the end of the day, the customer can still say "But they sent me something that I didn't order". Now Vice gets the hat back, sells it, and makes their money. That's their end game.

Were it my business, I'd probably eat the cost and tell them to keep the hat and refund the money...but I don't work for or run Vice. It just rubs me the wrong way when people demand free stuff because they didn't like what they ordered.

***Yes, the snapback is white, not green. I get that that's part of the point of contention. I also understand that may have been the deal breaker. I also understand it's annoying to have to pay for shipping to return the hat and only get 2/3 of what you paid for it back, but it happens. You aren't going to buy everything and love it every time. Life is annoying sometimes. It's just a hat.***

Sure, limited item they might want it back, and yes, agreed they should have taken care of return shipping. I dunno, I've heard more than a few scattered bad experiences with Vice, and stuff like this just ensures I won't do business with them, even if they make a good product. It's a shame really because a little good will could probably go a long way with public relations.

I get your position and in the end it IS just a hat. BUT it's more principle than anything. For instance: let's say I were to use an online car buying service. I buy a car based on the pictured version and it has a chrome grille. Car arrives in my driveway and has a satin body colored grille. There's no way I would be paying return shipping. I would expect exactly what was pictured. Not a cheaper version with the explanation (AFTER the fact) that the image was a preproduction model.

I understand that obviously the car's cost is significantly more but service is service regardless of the scale. And in this instance the service was flat out awful.

Sure, limited item they might want it back, and yes, agreed they should have taken care of return shipping. I dunno, I've heard more than a few scattered bad experiences with Vice, and stuff like this just ensures I won't do business with them, even if they make a good product. It's a shame really because a little good will could probably go a long way with public relations.

I'm with you. I'm bummed they didn't just admit it and at the very least cover the shipping...but I'm also tormented by seeing both sides of every argument. They're a business and they're in it to make money. Unfortunately, some go about it differently than you and I would...but any shipping cost eats into the bottom line, so they do what they can to keep the cash flow going.

I like Vice and have had two good experiences buying from them, so I'm probably partial the other way. I'll order again from them, but now have a basis for being annoyed if they mess around with a future order of mine. Duly noted.

I get your position and in the end it IS just a hat. BUT it's more principle than anything. For instance: let's say I were to use an online car buying service. I buy a car based on the pictured version and it has a chrome grille. Car arrives in my driveway and has a satin body colored grille. There's no way I would be paying return shipping. I would expect exactly what was pictured. Not a cheaper version with the explanation (AFTER the fact) that the image was a preproduction model.

I understand that obviously the car's cost is significantly more but service is service regardless of the scale. And in this instance the service was flat out awful.

I walked through a few scenarios where I'd be really pissed if something like this happened. Car was really the only thing I could come up with that'd make me mad, lol. Perhaps the green snapback was his chrome grille.

@brianehorne8

Regarding the hat itself, it's not just the snapback that bothers me. The Vice Pro "patch" in the pictures looks sewn in while the one I received was embroidered on. It's not as nice, and honestly, looks a bit sloppy. Also, I understand that there can be color shift or what not. I've seen the hat on many-a-monitor, but this hat honestly looks faded. Like a lower grade material was used for the production.

Yes, it's a limited run. But wouldn't that be all the more reason to keep the quality standard higher than normal? If anything, it should be easier to keep the quality higher on a limited run.

As @castellar mentioned, at this point its all about principal. I've been in situations where I've needed to return something because it did not fit correctly, or what not. Those situations are understandable. But the CS rep admitted to the company changing the product in the production run, yet, they still chose to advertise a "different" and higher quality (subject to opinion) product on their website. KNOWINGLY false advertising. How is that ethical? Whether you think its ethical or not, my suggestion was simply put forth to allow them to right a wrong and show that they care, but their solution is to make me pay more for something that they did that was unethical. If they sent me some Vice balls and they didn't work out for me, I'd write an honest review of them, but I'd also include that they made up for the hat and I would continue to buy their products.

The wording on their offer for the free balls was pretty straight forward. "If you prefer to retain the cap, we will be pleased to add a sleeve of 3 balls of your choice to your next order..."

1) Of course you'd be pleased because I just gave you more money.

2) This tells me you don't think you did anything wrong.

I just can't back a company that does that. Especially a company that's relatively new and trying to make their way in this industry. They should be doing everything they can to retain customers. I'm not trying to get away with free gear, even if they offered to pay the shipping back, I'd be happy and probably would have purchased another one of their hats from them, or a beanie, or a glove. I was ready to advertise their products on the course and help them grow. It seems they don't care much for that.

I'm giving them one more chance to respond with something acceptable. If not, a buyer is already in line.

Also, regarding their remark about gratefully accepting the hat back because they have people on a waiting list who would love to have the hat. Do these people know about the changes made to the production hats? Probably not...

I have no problem selling it to one of the guys here since they're informed and still asking about it, but Vice seems to be okay with the false advertisement. Again, not cool.

I understand what you are saying, I definitely think they should have at minimum offered to pay for return shipping. I know this isn't helpful in this situation but I dealt with them last year and the customer service was really good. The hat I wanted (not limited edition) was sold out and they emailed me that it was back in stock before they even updated the website. Again I know this doesn't help you just giving my experience. Either way sorry you've had to deal with the situation.

@brianehorne8

Regarding the hat itself, it's not just the snapback that bothers me. The Vice Pro "patch" in the pictures looks sewn in while the one I received was embroidered on. It's not as nice, and honestly, looks a bit sloppy. Also, I understand that there can be color shift or what not. I've seen the hat on many-a-monitor, but this hat honestly looks faded. Like a lower grade material was used for the production.

Yes, it's a limited run. But wouldn't that be all the more reason to keep the quality standard higher than normal? If anything, it should be easier to keep the quality higher on a limited run.

As @castellar mentioned, at this point its all about principal. I've been in situations where I've needed to return something because it did not fit correctly, or what not. Those situations are understandable. But the CS rep admitted to the company changing the product in the production run, yet, they still chose to advertise a "different" and higher quality (subject to opinion) product on their website. KNOWINGLY false advertising. How is that ethical? Whether you think its ethical or not, my suggestion was simply put forth to allow them to right a wrong and show that they care, but their solution is to make me pay more for something that they did that was unethical. If they sent me some Vice balls and they didn't work out for me, I'd write an honest review of them, but I'd also include that they made up for the hat and I would continue to buy their products.

The wording on their offer for the free balls was pretty straight forward. "If you prefer to retain the cap, we will be pleased to add a sleeve of 3 balls of your choice to your next order..."

I just can't back a company that does that. Especially a company that's relatively new and trying to make their way in this industry. They should be doing everything they can to retain customers. I'm not trying to get away with free gear, even if they offered to pay the shipping back, I'd be happy and probably would have purchased another one of their hats from them, or a beanie, or a glove. I was ready to advertise their products on the course and help them grow. It seems they don't care much for that.

I'm giving them one more chance to respond with something acceptable. If not, a buyer is already in line.

Sorry if I came off as abrasive; definitely wasn't the goal. The entire situation sucks, and as a fan of Vice (and people being pleased with the money spent), I'm bummed this happened. Sorry you had to put up with the nonsense.

@brianehorne8

Sorry if I came off as abrasive; definitely wasn't the goal. The entire situation sucks, and as a fan of Vice (and people being pleased with the money spent), I'm bummed this happened. Sorry you had to put up with the nonsense.

No offense taken. I know what it's like to stand behind a product. Trust me, I really wanted to stand behind Vice. I wanted to buy all their caps and even had two of them in my cart when my Legend hat arrived. Unfortunately, I can't stand by the company anymore.

I'm glad you were able to find some good with them.

It's almost like they made one really high quality one for pictures and then massed produced a cheap version.

My thoughts exactly. What's also eye opening is when I sent them an email about the compression rating of their balls, someone responded within an hour of me sending it. It's been nearly 24 hours since I emailed them about this asking them to address it, but I have yet to hear anything.

I'll give them another day or two to respond.

222 caps is not exactly mass produced. So you wanted to keep the cap, wear it and get a refund or more freebies so long as Vice keeps you happy. Do VW offer free cars ? Vice admitted the error, made a small effort to compensate. Just not enough for you. Everybody learns from mistakes. Some people are harder to please than others.

It's almost like they made one really high quality one for pictures and then massed produced a cheap version.

My thoughts exactly. What's also eye opening is when I sent them an email about the compression rating of their balls, someone responded within an hour of me sending it. It's been nearly 24 hours since I emailed them about this asking them to address it, but I have yet to hear anything.

222 caps is not exactly mass produced. So you wanted to keep the cap, wear it and get a refund or more freebies so long as Vice keeps you happy. Do VW offer free cars ? Vice admitted the error, made a small effort to compensate. Just not enough for you. Everybody learns from mistakes. Some people are harder to please than others.

Did you read the entire thread or just join the site to criticize the OP? He said multiple times that what bothered him was they didn't offer to pay for return shipping or anything else that didn't cost him additional money. "Do VW offer free cars?" Comparing a car to a hat is kinda ridiculous but if you ordered a VW in green and it came in white I highly doubt they would charge you to return it or make you buy another one to get floor mats for free.

I finally received a reply from someone who appears to be higher up in the chain, and I guess you can say I've gotten a little bit of closure from this whole ordeal (honestly, I'm just tired of it). The jist of the response was:

- We're sorry about the amount of time it's taken to resolve this.

- We don't like the fact that you've quoted us in a public forum without our agreement, but we'll put that aside because we stand by our word. (whatever...)

- We don't re-sell used hats.

- Sending you a free hat or free balls is out of proportion and is not a solution that satisfies us.

- We'll send you a pre-paid shipping label if you want to return the hat.

- If you decide to keep the hat, we'll increase the amount of free balls from 3 to 6 if you decide to buy something in the future as a sign of good will.

Was asking them for a free hat or free balls an extreme solution? Some might think so. But if they're selling balls and hats for $25-$30 + shipping, you'd have to think their product costs anywhere from $10-$15 to make (maybe even cheaper for the hats), so taking a $15-$20 loss to make up for a case of false advertising would have gone a long way in my book.

The reason why I've been so vocal and forward with this situation is to prevent it from happening to anyone else later on. For those who think I've been out of line, maybe my actions will have a positive affect on you if you decide to purchase from this company down the line. If you ever decide to approach their customer service with a complaint, you'll know what to expect since they've stood their ground thus far (aside from the pre-paid shipping label).

I provided them with suggestions for the future. Hopefully they'll put them to good use to help their company grow.

I finally received a reply from someone who appears to be higher up in the chain, and I guess you can say I've gotten a little bit of closure from this whole ordeal (honestly, I'm just tired of it). The jist of the response was:

- We're sorry about the amount of time it's taken to resolve this.

- We don't like the fact that you've quoted us in a public forum without our agreement, but we'll put that aside because we stand by our word. (whatever...)

- We don't re-sell used hats.

- Sending you a free hat or free balls is out of proportion and is not a solution that satisfies us.

- We'll send you a pre-paid shipping label if you want to return the hat.

- If you decide to keep the hat, we'll increase the amount of free balls from 3 to 6 if you decide to buy something in the future as a sign of good will.

Was asking them for a free hat or free balls an extreme solution? Some might think so. But if they're selling balls and hats for $25-$30 + shipping, you'd have to think their product costs anywhere from $10-$15 to make (maybe even cheaper for the hats), so taking a $15-$20 loss to make up for a case of false advertising would have gone a long way in my book.

The reason why I've been so vocal and forward with this situation is to prevent it from happening to anyone else later on. For those who think I've been out of line, maybe my actions will have a positive affect on you if you decide to purchase from this company down the line. If you ever decide to approach their customer service with a complaint, you'll know what to expect since they've stood their ground thus far (aside from the pre-paid shipping label).

I provided them with suggestions for the future. Hopefully they'll put them to good use to help their company grow.

Yep, I'll never buy anything from them after that snark.

Welcome to the forum.

What I find funny is that in their latest email to me, the Vice rep acknowledged that they saw this thread and were not amused with the fact that I pasted one of their emails for the public to see.

Actually, never mind...It's probably just a coincidence... :stink:

I agree mass produced may have been the wrong term. But since it is such a limited run it wouldn't have been very hard to either

A: change the picture, or.....

B: actually sell the product that is pictured