Jersey Golfers

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember back in 1999 thinking that the only way to get an early weekend morning time at a Morris county course had to be to literally bribe one of the shop staff members or starters. I tried it one

Played Mattawang Golf Club on Saturday in Somerset County. Wow talk about a beautiful day for golf. Conditions were basically perfect and I shot a 76 with 3 birdies and hadn't touched a club since my

Hey guys, Im brand new to this site. I generally play Renualt winery, Mays Landing CC, Blue Heron Pines, Harbor Pines, Atlantic City County Club, and I used to be a member at Hidden Creek. Id love t

Posted Images

I played there last year for a work outing.

My initial response after walking off the course? Eh.

Thinking about it a year later.. better than Eh.

There were some decent holes, but other than the elevation changes, nothing really stands out. Though I did like the driveable par 4 (don't know the hole number, playing shotgun, you lose sense of the hole numbers).

How did you like the courses?

I have had a county card for almost 4 years. Hominy Hill is my favorite, although the Charleston courses are as good and maybe even more fun to play than Hominy.

Shark River has been getting better over the years. The greenskeeper came over from Mansquan River, I believe and you can argue, there greens are the best in the Monmouth County Park System.

As much as I love Howell, my #1 issue there is the tee boxes. A good number of them are either not level or they set you up into the trees and screws up your stance. The greens are in great shape but they really need to fix the tee boxes.

As another Monmouth newbie, I just love the variety so much. CS North you can rip away and even by changing tee boxes you get a whole different experience. I’m the most so-so on CS South, can’t decide if I love it or if it’s mundane. I think the parallel par 5 and a couple other holes leave something to be desired. I think it’s significantly more difficult than North, however and less entertaining, fewer birdie holes maybe.

At Howell I had such low expectations having never heard much about it. But 2 rounds and I’d say it’s very solid, head and shoulders above other daily fee places in the area, like Old Orchard, Pebble Creek, suneagles. Didn’t notice the tee boxes. It feels like a very good accessible course of the era, which is saying something given all the troubled courses I’d guess were built around then without big budgets (thinking places like Miry Run, Cream Ridge, painful places like Cranbury, Tamarack).

To me I see why Hominy is the cream of the crop, it’s got such great bones. It feels unlike any other county course, because it wasn’t built as one. Understood that they can’t maintain it like the premier exclusive club it once once but you can feel the greatness. I am being a bit hyperbolic but I really really have enjoyed it, especially the green complex’s that offer a variety of shots you don’t get playing public golf.

• 3 weeks later...

Played Twisted Dune in Egg Harbor a few days ago. Excellent condition and really enjoyed the track, save for the sand. It was rocky and hard and just not in anyway well kept. Since it is such a big part of the courses design I was decently disappointed, but not so much so that it spoiled the round. Would definitely like to play again.

D - JDM SLDR 9* - Oban Kiyoshi
3+w - 07 Burner TP - Mitsubishi Blueboard
3h - Diablo Edge Tour - Fujikura Motore Tour Spec 9.8 HB
4-PW - TMAG Smoked TP MB - Rifle 6.0
54* - Nike VR Forged - raw head 
60* - Nike VR Forged
P - Naked Nike Origin B2|01

River Vale yesterday - greens were fast and true, which was nice. I didn't make any birdies, but no 3 putts either. Just was not my day- played the par 5's poorly and one of the par 3's. Just just missed making it to Rock Springs....will play better next time. Played with some cool dudes and had fun trying. I qualified two years ago through galloping hill and got to play 36 holes at heron glen...wasn't able to play in it last year.

How about you? good luck

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 12:35 PM, fastswinger said:

Haven't been there in years.  Remember one of the 9's opening tee shot was like off a cliff.  What were conditions like?  Good greens?

Played there twice in the last couple of weeks. Greens are in fantastic shape. Fairways appear to have been re-sodded since I last had played there 6 years ago.Were in really good shape as well. 

And with mid day greens fees being under 40$ it's a freaking steal. 

Also, electric golf carts, which threw me at first. Wasn't expecting it when I hit the 'gas' pedal. 

On 9/6/2020 at 1:04 AM, BogeytoBirdies said:

Has anyone played Ballyowen recently? Have a tee time for this upcoming Thursday. It will be my groups first time playing there. 

Recently as in 3 weeks ago for me. Conditions were great then. Greens were my favorite parts, they were fast-ish and actually broke the way you would expect. Generous fairways and rough and fescue wasn't too punishing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im playing Beaver Brook CC in Annandale today at 1:10. Never been there before, from google maps it doesnt look too complicated, a few holes are mirror images of one another. A few other holes look interesting with a layup par-4 or two (love those). It also seems like they have a bunch of par-3s (5?). Any tips or advice? How has the course been lately? I still see two open slots on the tee time booking site if anyone wants to play last minute. 

23 hours ago, Twism86 said:

Im playing Beaver Brook CC in Annandale today at 1:10. Never been there before, from google maps it doesnt look too complicated, a few holes are mirror images of one another. A few other holes look interesting with a layup par-4 or two (love those). It also seems like they have a bunch of par-3s (5?). Any tips or advice? How has the course been lately? I still see two open slots on the tee time booking site if anyone wants to play last minute. 

Might as well report back. For my first time there I enjoyed it, great price as well. Seems to be in good condition and the greens were fast! A few tough pin positions too that made me think I was in some tournament and not a Tuesday afternoon round. A worked even stopped by my group to ask "how about those pins on 4 and 8?" I think he was bragging.... I had a 20' uphill put on #4 that came up short by inches that then rolled back to 10 feet!!!! I will be back for sure. 

4 hours ago, Twism86 said:

Might as well report back. For my first time there I enjoyed it, great price as well. Seems to be in good condition and the greens were fast! A few tough pin positions too that made me think I was in some tournament and not a Tuesday afternoon round. A worked even stopped by my group to ask "how about those pins on 4 and 8?" I think he was bragging.... I had a 20' uphill put on #4 that came up short by inches that then rolled back to 10 feet!!!! I will be back for sure. 

That is good to know that they finally got it in decent shape. I live 10 minutes away and stopped playing it because it was in such bad shape. I had heard there was a new owner and they were doing some renovations, so it sounds like they had a positive impact. 

5 hours ago, Twism86 said:

You should have mentioned that to the Pro Shop.

I forget how it's worded but IIRC the USGA recommends about 3 feet around the hole to be fairly level, certainly level enough so that a ball inches short of the hole not roll back 10 feet.

I've run into that in SE Asia a few times. One course in particular had about 6 greens where that kind of thing could easily happen. Be above those pins and if you don't hit the hole you're off the front of the green. Literally impossible to stop the ball from above. Ridiculous.

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

1 hour ago, ani5009 said:

That is good to know that they finally got it in decent shape. I live 10 minutes away and stopped playing it because it was in such bad shape. I had heard there was a new owner and they were doing some renovations, so it sounds like they had a positive impact. 

Some of the bunkers I saw were in pretty bad shape. Missing sand and liners exposed. Most of the greens, while fast, rolled true. No huge dead spots on the fairway. 

Just discovered the "chronogolf by Lightspeed" online booking site. Seems to be a great way to book tee times for NJ courses I'm not familiar with or haven't played.

Callaway

• X2 Hot driver, Aldila NexGen MLT 55 R
  • XR16 4-wood, Aldila NexGen MLT 65 R
  • X2 Hot 3-hybrid, Aldila NexGen MLT 85 HYB R
  • MAVRIK Pro irons: 4-A, Aerotech SteelFiber FC90 F3 R

Titleist

• SM7 54S & 58M wedges, TrueTemper Wedge Flex
  • Special Select Newport putter, 34"
On 9/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, Twism86 said:

Some of the bunkers I saw were in pretty bad shape. Missing sand and liners exposed. Most of the greens, while fast, rolled true. No huge dead spots on the fairway. 

I was under the impression that their plan was to let grass grow to fill in the bunkers. Any indication of that?

On 9/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, Max21 said:

Barely any tee times already before 3:30 this weekend up in north jersey....madness

Reminds me of how it was back in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Getting a weekend time somewhere like Sunset Valley back then was darn near impossible unless you were cool with going off after 3pm.