Jersey Golfers

wrayner

4 minutes ago, ykhwaz said:

I've stopped getting the county card.  Every other course includes an early booking window for semi-memberships, on top of reduced green fees.  Hell, black bear/crystal springs even gives you three free rounds a year with their rewards memberships along with a 21 day booking window and reduced green fees

We keep getting the county card and crystal rewards because we can only get on crystal courses. It just sucks because it’s close to an hour away, which means 2 hours round trip. 

4 minutes ago, bcc624 said:

We keep getting the county card and crystal rewards because we can only get on crystal courses. It just sucks because it’s close to an hour away, which means 2 hours round trip. 

Same here.  Too long of a drive for the CS courses.  I've been playing at rock spring a couple of times this year.  Hasn't been as hard to get tee times, but much better than sunset.  I may end up getting a semi-membership there just to have the 14 day window to book

11 minutes ago, ykhwaz said:

I've stopped getting the county card.  Every other course includes an early booking window for semi-memberships, on top of reduced green fees.  Hell, black bear/crystal springs even gives you three free rounds a year with their rewards memberships along with a 21 day booking window and reduced green fees

That's my go-to. Crystal Springs courses. Even with county rates, Black Bear, CA and even Wild Turkey if you play it at the right time is pretty much the same price as Berkshire valley especially when you factor in the outrageous 21$ cart fee on top of the greens fees.

And it's far easier to get times there. May and June of 2020 was the only exception. 

Even Great Gorge these days haa nice rates. They dropped their insane 100$ green fees. 

9 minutes ago, bcc624 said:

I live 50 mins from Crystal Springs. Give or take. I get the 2 hour round trip. On the way there I don't mind it. It's on the way back and the stiffening up I don't enjoy 😂

But other than Flanders, I really don't have a decent course around me. Sorry Minebrook. 

9 minutes ago, ykhwaz said:

Same here.  Too long of a drive for the CS courses.  I've been playing at rock spring a couple of times this year.  Hasn't been as hard to get tee times, but much better than sunset.  I may end up getting a semi-membership there just to have the 14 day window to book

my group and I were talking about the rock spring option too. We were also interested in Knoll West, but they have a waitlist and we haven’t looked any further into it.

40 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

Back in the old days in 1996 we had to call on Sunday at 8 pm amd had to hit redial a zillion times to get a time the following week on Flanders. 

Now I can hop online and get a decent time. Of course I admit, I am not an early morning golfer. Hell, I'm not am early morning anything, but I digress. 

Maybe that's why I find online easier, no matter where I'm playing. 2 pm on Saturday is always open. 

Yep, I lived in the area back in the late 1990s and I remember it was the same way at Sunset Valley then. Best I ever got by booking the minute the tee times opened up on the phone was like 3:15pm. My group ended up driving out to PA most of the time to play on weekends because we could actually get a weekend morning tee time out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Yep, I lived in the area back in the late 1990s and I remember it was the same way at Sunset Valley then. Best I ever got by booking the minute the tee times opened up on the phone was like 3:15pm. My group ended up driving out to PA most of the time to play on weekends because we could actually get a weekend morning tee time out there.

Was just thinking, on a weekend morning, it was 20$ to play Flanders in 1996. What a steal. 

4 minutes ago, Max21 said:

Yeah its not as bad getting a Crystal/Black bear/Gorge tee time. Can book bowling green pretty far in advance too. I personally don't like to torture myself and play Crystal every week though and as a former Crystal Springs employee I've played wild turkey too many times to want to shell out $140 for it

Lol the most I have ever paid to play WT is 75$ Unless I'm on vacation and somewhere special like Pinehurst, I would never pay $145. 

Hey guys and maybe gals, looking for a partner or two.. or three, who wants to play Flanders Valley or Minebrook (lol) with me. I just moved to Mount Olive from Bedminster, so I'm no longer going to be playing Somerset county courses regularly.

As a side... anyone know the current membership rates at Black Oak and Panther Valley (you could DM me this if the rules say we can't disclose pricing here)? I'm pretty busy these days but my first experience at Minebrook was less than thrilling and I know Flanders can fill up really fast, and it's kiiiind of a PITA to book with them.

Where do you guys in South Jersey buy golf gear and specifically clothes?  My father in law lives full time in Margate City and he’s about to turn 70 and needs golf attire.  Thanks in advance!

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black

Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black |U505 23° HZ Gen4 Black

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

13 minutes ago, stimpmeterp said:

Where do you guys in South Jersey buy golf gear and specifically clothes?  My father in law lives full time in Margate City and he’s about to turn 70 and needs golf attire.  Thanks in advance!

Just looked and I wish him luck. There isn't much there. Looks like online for clothes is the way to go. 

The nearest Golf Galaxy is Moorestown. 

There is a Dicks in the Manahawkin area. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stimpmeterp said:

Wow.  Anyone want to open a golf shop with me to fill this void?  Tons of $$$ in this area!

There is also a Dicks just north of Egg Harbor.  

I bet the pro shops in that area make a killing. 

And the nearest PGA store? King of Prussia, PA..

There has to be some mom and pop stores too. Otherwise you're right, a lot of untapped potential. 

• Like 1

There have been plenty of golf stores that have opened in the years down in Mays Landing, EHT, etc. They are all out of business. A lot of it happened when AC went down. Besides apparel the markup in golf shops is pretty awful. You need larger numbers than what that area can really give you. 

If you need to know the history of retail of that area, just take a ride down the Black Horse Pike. Start at the Hamilton Mall (which is having a hard time keeping the lights on, literally) and head towards AC. 

• Like 3

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

On 5/8/2022 at 10:24 AM, stimpmeterp said:

The Galaxy in Moorestown is ok, but is kind of weak.

• Like 1

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I was there last week.  Weak is correct.  Very expensive, too.  I buy my attire at Marshall's.  It's hit or miss but the prices are much better than GG.  

PGA store is good too, online obviously. I get nice Pebble Beach shirts for 25$. Got my golf shorts from Kohl's, a whopping 19.99 a pair. 

1 hour ago, golfer07840 said:

PGA store is good too, online obviously. I get nice Pebble Beach shirts for 25$. Got my golf shorts from Kohl's, a whopping 19.99 a pair. 

i've been buying off of either ebay or even poshmark.  I thought poshmark was a women's site but my wife told me that there are alot of golf clothes for sale there by people.  i checked it out and you can find good deals on there for golf clothes.  i haven't paid full price for golf clothes in a long time and haven't had an issue with quality of the clothes either

• Like 1

Morris county Update:

Forgot to check at 8PM last night for the 5/21 tee times. As of 5:50am, there are no Sunset Valley tee times and no tee times at Berkshire Valley from 6:30AM-2:19PM for 5/21.  

I’m gonna make sure I check at 8PM tonight for the 5/22 tee times. If I see tee times gone again, I’m going to consider inquire about what’s going on with some of the contacts on the Morris County Parks Commission. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 6:48 AM, bcc624 said:

Morris county Update:

Forgot to check at 8PM last night for the 5/21 tee times. As of 5:50am, there are no Sunset Valley tee times and no tee times at Berkshire Valley from 6:30AM-2:19PM for 5/21.  

I’m gonna make sure I check at 8PM tonight for the 5/22 tee times. If I see tee times gone again, I’m going to consider inquire about what’s going on with some of the contacts on the Morris County Parks Commission. 

Something is definitely going on. That's just not right. 

Glad I'm not an early morning golfer. That would frustrate the hell out of me. 

Edited by golfer07840
Typo

On 5/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, golfer07840 said:

Something is definitely going on. That's just not right. 

Glad I'm not an early morning golfer. That wouldn't frustrate the hell out of me. 

Sounds like not much has changed since I was hunting weekend tee times almost 10 years ago.  I remember sitting on my PC constantly hitting refresh before the times were provided for the following week. Sunset was never an option, period!  I was always convinced they were blocking off morning times over at Sunset as I never saw an early time and I was always one of the first on that site when the times were released.  I guess it was for the better as I never shot well over there anyway!  I'm glad I'm fortunate not to have to look for tee times anymore but I feel your pain.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

On 5/11/2022 at 6:48 AM, bcc624 said:

Morris county Update:

Did you check the times last night ? Any luck ?

4 hours ago, Max21 said:

Did you check the times last night ? Any luck ?

So my theory doesn’t stand. I started refreshing the tee times at 7:59 and once they became available at 8:00, I did see tee times in the 7, 8, and 9 oclock hour at both sunset and Berkshire. I can’t confirm they were all there because I was quickly booking my own.  I checked again in 40 minutes and all the 7am-11am tee times were booked. So even if they do become available, they are being taken very quickly.

Hi guys, moving to Jersey City near the Grove Street path station. Other than the 9 hole skyway course, are there any courses near by worth checking out? I don't have a car currently, so I'd like to save the money on uber costs. If anyone is looking for a playing partner, let me know as well. Thanks!

Edited by soundedgoodtho

9 hours ago, soundedgoodtho said:

Hi guys, moving to Jersey City near the Grove Street path station. Other than the 9 hole skyway course, are there any courses near by worth checking out? I don't have a car currently, so I'd like to save the money on uber costs. If anyone is looking for a playing partner, let me know as well. Thanks!

There really isn't anything in the way of public golf outside of Skyway in Hudson County.  I lived in Hoboken for 9 years after college - I did have a car but these are the courses I drove to every weekend to play:

East Orange Golf course in Short Hills - about 30-35 minutes, easy course / easy walk, nice restaurant

Hendricks Field in Belleville - 25-30 minutes, easy to walk on as a single and reasonably priced to walk, scoreable course

Francis Byrne golf course in West Orange - 30 - 35 minutes, harder course, more difficult to walk onto

Preakness Valley - 2 18 hole courses in Wayne - 40 minute drive, decent courses, can get tee times online even out of county

Silver Lake or La Tourette on Staten Island - 35 - 40 minute drives, can get tee times fairly easily, lower tier courses, hackers everywhere

I moved out of the county about 3 years ago now so things could have changed

On 5/16/2022 at 11:07 PM, soundedgoodtho said:

They completed a renovation of all 18 holes at Hendricks Field last year. It's not expensive and not too far from you.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:04 PM, sabram said:

They completed a renovation of all 18 holes at Hendricks Field last year. It's not expensive and not too far from you.

What kind of changes did they make at Hendricks? I used to play there a lot and loved the chance to score low every round, but it was never in the best of conditions.

8 hours ago, Wander Bread said:

What kind of changes did they make at Hendricks? I used to play there a lot and loved the chance to score low every round, but it was never in the best of conditions.

They restored the Charles Banks features including the style of the bunkers and  the template par 3 holes, although they kept it relatively easy (as for example compared to the Banks course at Forsgate so you won't find the extremely deep Banks style bunkers). I played it soon after it reopened a year or so ago and the conditions were way better than had been in years. Here's a link to some photos (Click on the photo below)

Hendricks Field Golf Course

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...