Jersey Golfers

wrayner

[

I played Bowling Green quite a bit when I was younger, but really not a fan, especially the par 5 that's shoehorned into nowhere...

I live in Randolph, play Flanders a ton, plus a couple country clubs my buddies belong to. I also hit the range with the BBQ joint as well....but you won't mistake me for a +.7.....

What shape is Flanders in these days? (Not today specifically, but the past couple of seasons), it hit some hard times awhile back.

When I started playing there in 1996 it was in excellent shape.

Since Billy Casper took it over, it's been better. And they brought in a new super either last year or the year before, and he was an improvement. It will always have relatively slow greens because there's so much play, but the price/value ratio is tough to beat. And, for me, the convenience factor - it's 7 minutes from my house and I often play with no advance planning so I play as a single a lot. The life of a sales guy :)

I have a buddy at Mendham CC, another at Black Oak, and another at Trump. I play Mendham quite a bit, I like that club. Very mellow.

We have our annual outing at Black Oak. Nice course. Last year they had it set up like the U.S. Open. Very difficult.

Never played Mendham. Driven through Mendham a million times, yet I have no clue where the course is. I suppose that's by design.

As for Flanders, there was a time when they considered Hackettstown as Morris County. Now that they don't I have to pay double to play there. And if I wanted a cart it's an an extra $15. For the amount I would wind up paying, I can play Crystal Springs or Wild Turkey.

Mendham is a very nice course, and relatively easy to walk. Not pretentious at all, which I love. You're right, you don't drive past it on any of the main roads (as main as a road is in Mendham...). My mailing address is actually Mendham, so it's really close to me.

I'm considering joining Black Oak this year, but it's a little far, and seems almost impossible to walk with the distance from 1st hole to the 2nd. And I greatly prefer to walk. The yearly cost is about the same as Mendham, but Black Oak has more membership options.

I loved Crystal Springs before they built 6 million houses on it, even though you could get wildly difficult lies in the middle of the fairway. I've only play WT once, don't have much memory of it - played during a 54 hole, one day charity event. I love Ballyowen.

[

I played Bowling Green quite a bit when I was younger, but really not a fan, especially the par 5 that's shoehorned into nowhere...

I live in Randolph, play Flanders a ton, plus a couple country clubs my buddies belong to. I also hit the range with the BBQ joint as well....but you won't mistake me for a +.7.....

What shape is Flanders in these days? (Not today specifically, but the past couple of seasons), it hit some hard times awhile back.

Since Billy Casper took it over, it's been better. And they brought in a new super either last year or the year before, and he was an improvement. It will always have relatively slow greens because there's so much play, but the price/value ratio is tough to beat. And, for me, the convenience factor - it's 7 minutes from my house and I often play with no advance planning so I play as a single a lot. The life of a sales guy :)

I have a buddy at Mendham CC, another at Black Oak, and another at Trump. I play Mendham quite a bit, I like that club. Very mellow.

We have our annual outing at Black Oak. Nice course. Last year they had it set up like the U.S. Open. Very difficult.

Never played Mendham. Driven through Mendham a million times, yet I have no clue where the course is. I suppose that's by design.

As for Flanders, there was a time when they considered Hackettstown as Morris County. Now that they don't I have to pay double to play there. And if I wanted a cart it's an an extra $15. For the amount I would wind up paying, I can play Crystal Springs or Wild Turkey.

Mendham is a very nice course, and relatively easy to walk. Not pretentious at all, which I love. You're right, you don't drive past it on any of the main roads (as main as a road is in Mendham...). My mailing address is actually Mendham, so it's really close to me.

I'm considering joining Black Oak this year, but it's a little far, and seems almost impossible to walk with the distance from 1st hole to the 2nd. And I greatly prefer to walk. The yearly cost is about the same as Mendham, but Black Oak has more membership options.

I loved Crystal Springs before they built 6 million houses on it, even though you could get wildly difficult lies in the middle of the fairway. I've only play WT once, don't have much memory of it - played during a 54 hole, one day charity event. I love Ballyowen.

Highly suggest getting back out there and playing Wild Turkey. I love Ballyowen as well but Wild Turkey is just amazing.

P.S. For those of you guys familiar with Wild Turkey, whats your though process on club selection for #10?

[

Crystal Springs is my favorite course. Been playing it since 2010. Cascades is a nice 9 hole course.

Ballyowen is a fantastic track, as is Black Bear. I have yet to play Wild Turkey. Reason being, it's always packed and packed with Koreans who play from the tips and take 6 hours to play. Nothing against Koreans in general. Just can't play golf with them.

Black Oak is not a very walkable course. I acquired at how much it be to join. I nearly fell over. 7k a yr with 10k dues.

I was at the Crystal Springs/Wild Turkey range today. Courses look like they are in fairly good shape considering the horrible March we had. Just have to past the next 10 days, then game on.

You lost me at "Black Bear is a fantastic track"....I hate that place. Last time there was a 3 hour front nine, and I bailed. Never again.

7k for dues isn't that much for north Jersey, unfortunately. You need to play a ton of golf, and enjoy the country club life, in order to make it rational. It's never been reasonable for me because I was always coaching kids games and watching them play, and just wanting to spend time with them - so weekends weren't for golf. Now they're all away at school, so....

^^^^ Same problem here. Between work work work work work work and work, my kids' wrestling, basketball, soccer, and shooting schedules......plus the short season here (relatively speaking, since I've lived in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina!), I just cannot justify anything other than daily-fee golf at this "season" in life.

Thankfully, I've discovered a number of great options that I enjoy playing here in this little corner of Jersey. Every other place I've lived, the municipal courses were an absolute disaster, so that has been a really nice surprise here in Morris County.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

You lost me at "Black Bear is a fantastic track"....I hate that place. Last time there was a 3 hour front nine, and I bailed. Never again.

7k for dues isn't that much for north Jersey, unfortunately. You need to play a ton of golf, and enjoy the country club life, in order to make it rational. It's never been reasonable for me because I was always coaching kids games and watching them play, and just wanting to spend time with them - so weekends weren't for golf. Now they're all away at school, so....

7k dues on top of another 7k I have an issue with.

I've never experienced Black Bear being that slow.

Played crystal as a 2some today in 3:40, even stopped for 2 beers and a smome at halfway house. The pace used to be tight there, maybe they made it 15-20 gap. Caught up to a foursome on hole 5, we putted around the green a little, walled off and they were waiting to let us go through, never hit such a nice drive playing through ever.

^^^Haha, that happens once in a never. Hitting a good tee shot when playing through is a very satisfying feeling. I don't know how many times some studs are creaming shots behind us and we let them play through just to get them off our backs even though there's not much room ahead, and 3 out of 4 of them skank their tee shots and we just laugh and lean on our sticks while we wait for them to sort things out. Murphy rules the play through tee shot.

Good thing I played yesterday. Next weekend is Easter for me anyways but as long as after that the weather gets better Im good

38 and snow showers next Saturday.

This sucks.

I don't see snow but it will be cold... Either way, most tracks are going to be soaked, 5 inches of snow today plus rain most of the week.

Looks like the high bounce wedges will stay in the bag for another few weeks...

Oh and PS Gio absolutely smoked me this past weekend. I'm an embarrassment to golf...

Played crystal as a 2some today in 3:40, even stopped for 2 beers and a smome at halfway house. The pace used to be tight there, maybe they made it 15-20 gap. Caught up to a foursome on hole 5, we putted around the green a little, walled off and they were waiting to let us go through, never hit such a nice drive playing through ever.

They were waiting for you to tee off on 5 or 6? 5 is a par 3, hence my confusion.

And I think Crystal Springs is starting to get a little annoyed with people complaining about slow play, so good on them if they are trying to separate the groups a bit.

Good thing I played yesterday. Next weekend is Easter for me anyways but as long as after that the weather gets better Im good

38 and snow showers next Saturday.

This sucks.

I don't see snow but it will be cold... Either way, most tracks are going to be soaked, 5 inches of snow today plus rain most of the week.

Looks like the high bounce wedges will stay in the bag for another few weeks...

Oh and PS Gio absolutely smoked me this past weekend. I'm an embarrassment to golf...

Hey, we had a good time - we'll get out again once THIS batch of snow melts...

Smh

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

The only consolation for all this snow is it's supposed to be 64 and rain on Wednesday. That should clear it up, right?

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

The only consolation for all this snow is it's supposed to be 64 and rain on Wednesday. That should clear it up, right?

well it'll get rid of the white stuff for sure -- plugged lies all april? lol

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I like when my drive's plug mark is 3 feet in front of where my ball actually is sitting on the fairway. I love negative roll out!!

I like when my drive's plug mark is 3 feet in front of where my ball actually is sitting on the fairway. I love negative roll out!!

Gotta lower your spin my dude, can't be spinning a driver back like that

/s

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

/s

lol we didn't fair much better while at BB either

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I'm a HIGH spin player to begin with. This time of year is tough. Can back up 13 of my 14 clubs.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

/s

lol we didn't fair much better while at BB either

That's for sure lol, I played yesterday and I think I was in 8 or 9 bunkers, karma for staying out of them on satuday

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

That's for sure lol, I played yesterday and I think I was in 8 or 9 bunkers, karma for staying out of them on satuday

my swing is effed up right now. i got on video yesterday and was shaking my head. somehow, since late january, i've reverted back to previous swing tendencies. not on plane coming down, getting my hands inside going back...just...not good.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

my swing is effed up right now. i got on video yesterday and was shaking my head. somehow, since late january, i've reverted back to previous swing tendencies. not on plane coming down, getting my hands inside going back...just...not good.

You don't have enough Twist Face !!! If only your driver face twisted even more those fairway bunkers wouldn't be in play!

When you did strike it though... man o man.

That explains the tee shot on 16...

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

That explains the tee shot on 16...

yup. and the lack of consistency. previous swing was built on timing -- and somehow all the progress i made over the winter was gone in a snap. i knew it felt different...just didn't know what part of different. sigh.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Keep going and it's 25. You feelin lucky??
fine you win, 10 a side.

Haha, I always love listening to golfers haggle over strokes. And it always ends with the low cap grumbling... ;-)

lol no sh*t!

we have a ryder cup event every year down south (24 of us) -- last year i played against a guy who was a legit 23 cap. he went 6 over for 11 holes and promptly handed me a loss. on the last hole (par 3), i hit my tee shot to 3'...meanwhile, he hit his tee shot short, chipped to a foot. tap in par, net ace. my birdie meant bubkus.

wasn't happy.

GioGuy, is this at Valleybrook & Running Deer? if so I play in it also, this is Big Steve. Could this be Wayne?

Keep going and it's 25. You feelin lucky??
fine you win, 10 a side.

Haha, I always love listening to golfers haggle over strokes. And it always ends with the low cap grumbling... ;-)

lol no sh*t!

we have a ryder cup event every year down south (24 of us) -- last year i played against a guy who was a legit 23 cap. he went 6 over for 11 holes and promptly handed me a loss. on the last hole (par 3), i hit my tee shot to 3'...meanwhile, he hit his tee shot short, chipped to a foot. tap in par, net ace. my birdie meant bubkus.

wasn't happy.

GioGuy, is this at Valleybrook & Running Deer? if so I play in it also, this is Big Steve.

nope. we have had ours down in pinehurst the last 2 years, myrtle before that, and the first year was at Cherokee Valley in SC.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”