Favorite Golf Shop

trek1500

Manassas Golf in Manassas, Virginia. Great Service!

I use to live in Manassas, VA. I lived there for about a year, but never actually made it into that store. Now I'm disappointed. :friends:

As for myself, Greater Golf in Endicott, NY. They sell a LOT of Pings. You need to make fitting appointments a couple weeks in advance this time of year, but they really take time fitting you and make sure you get something that fits your swing perfectly.

Aside from that, I pick up slightly used clubs on Ebay and the BST forum here. I don't have Edwin Watts, Golf Galaxy or any PGA stores near me, so I'll get my odds and ends, occasionally a driver from the local Dick's.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Discount Dan's is my new favorite golf shop. I spoke to Dan on Sunday and called back Monday and spoke with his daughter and placed the order with her for a new set of irons. They are a class act and they have great prices. Plus, they are a sponsor of this site. Discount Dan's all the way!!! :shok:

[size=3]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5° TENSI BLUE 67g 6/17/19
Srixon Z F85  fwy 13.5°, 18° HZRDUS 6.0 62g 9/15/19
TaylorMade M4 Hyb 22° 4/1/19
Honma  T // World Rose Proto 5-10 iron
 N.S. PRO MODUS 3 TOUR 120  S 8/8/19
Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 [/size]
[size=3]3/7/19
TaylorMade Mill Grind 50° 07/17/18, TaylorMade Mill Grind 54° 4/12/19, TaylorMade
Mill Grind 58° 07/17/18
Titleist ProV1x Grips Golf Pride Z-Grip cord align midsize Glove FJ Pure Touch Limited L
Callaway Epic Star [/size]
[size=3]staff bag
Titleist Players 4 stand bag
Jan Craig headcovers
Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0[/size]

Here's the scoop I've heard on PGA superstores...

If you've ever been to Myrtle Beach to play golf, then you undoubtedly know Martins (the golf and tennis superstore). The struck a deal with PGA on naming rights and all the red tape, and they have a guy who used to be higher up at Bass Pro Shops to run the place, and get it off the ground. Their first expansion was to be in Atlanta metro, and then to Texas. I don't know if they will try FL, as Edwin Watts does pretty well there, but metropolitan areas will be the target (as usual) for the Superstores. The ones at Myrtle Beach are LARGE and cheap. The service is good, but they retained all the personnel from when they were a "mom and pop" type store. Their size is similar to Golfsmith superstores, but with more product. Our local Golf Galaxy here in the NC triad area is just OK. They need to improve service to compete with Golf USA. Hope that helps.

For what it's worth, I get my stuff online usually. Here, the bay, and TGW in that order. Edwin Watts is pricey, and Golfsmith screws up my orders. :shok:

I'm jealous of anyone that has a PGA Superstore in their area.

Why? How is it better than, say, a Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith Superstore?

I noticed on their website that they are going to start selling online in July.

As far as I can tell the PGA Superstores have great staff and an awesome selection of equipment.

Discount Dan's is my new favorite golf shop. I spoke to Dan on Sunday and called back Monday and spoke with his daughter and placed the order with her for a new set of irons. They are a class act and they have great prices. Plus, they are a sponsor of this site. Discount Dan's all the way!!! :shok:

Is Cynthany his daughter? I didn't know that. She is awesome to work with too.

Discount Dan's is my new favorite golf shop. I spoke to Dan on Sunday and called back Monday and spoke with his daughter and placed the order with her for a new set of irons. They are a class act and they have great prices. Plus, they are a sponsor of this site. Discount Dan's all the way!!! :D

Thanks for the positive feedback! Call us today and see for yourself! Dan, Kevin, Cynthanie, Melodie, and I are all standing by to help you with your golf equipment needs. Try us out for a price quote...you might be surprised by our low low prices!

Golfingly yours,

John

DiscountDansGolfcom  Highlands Golf Club
DiscountDansGolf.com

Highlands Golf Club
Gearhart, Oregon
1-877-738-5248
[email protected]

UPDATE!!! The clubs arrived today!!! Did not expect custom ordered irons would arrive this quickly.(Mizuno MP-37 irons 2-pw) Thanks again Discount Dan's you guys are wonderful!!!!

:blush: :) :cheesy: :D :aikido:

[size=3]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5° TENSI BLUE 67g 6/17/19
Srixon Z F85  fwy 13.5°, 18° HZRDUS 6.0 62g 9/15/19
TaylorMade M4 Hyb 22° 4/1/19
Honma  T // World Rose Proto 5-10 iron
 N.S. PRO MODUS 3 TOUR 120  S 8/8/19
Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 [/size]
[size=3]3/7/19
TaylorMade Mill Grind 50° 07/17/18, TaylorMade Mill Grind 54° 4/12/19, TaylorMade
Mill Grind 58° 07/17/18
Titleist ProV1x Grips Golf Pride Z-Grip cord align midsize Glove FJ Pure Touch Limited L
Callaway Epic Star [/size]
[size=3]staff bag
Titleist Players 4 stand bag
Jan Craig headcovers
Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0[/size]

UPDATE!!! The clubs arrived today!!! Did not expect custom ordered irons would arrive this quickly.(Mizuno MP-37 irons 2-pw) Thanks again Dicount Dan's you guys are wonderful!!!!

:blush: :) :cheesy: :D :aikido:

No problem! Hope you enjoy your new irons!

DiscountDansGolfcom  Highlands Golf Club
DiscountDansGolf.com

Highlands Golf Club
Gearhart, Oregon
1-877-738-5248
[email protected]

:D My favorite golfstore used to be GOLFSMITH! I was in there at least twice a week and bought a ton of merchandise! The caddies and management were GREAT even though corporate was a little lacking! Now they have got a new manager and all he cares about is the bottom line, not the customer! The caddies and other managers have their hands tied by him and corporate! Now I will only go to the store when the manager is off! It is a shame one person can ruin a GREAT STORE! Now they will not honor competition with the 115% guarantee. You have to jump through hoops to get them to do what they are supposed to do, even when you have a printout of the price from the competition! I am really sick about this because the remaining caddies(REALLY GOOD PEOPLE), etc are afraid of their own shadow! Oh well just have to find another store! WHAT A WASTE! :)

• 7 months later...

Hopefully in time www.golflandwarehouse.com can make the list. We aren't quite there yet but working hard. Golfsmith seems to be the model site for information. There are some cool GolfSmith shops out there too.

Favorite Golfer: Tiger Woods
Favorite Course Played: Cypress Point
Irons: Cleveland 588 Forged
Putter: Scotty Cameron CLN 1997
Driver: My Stage 2 Three Wood
Favorite Store: GolflandWarehouse.com

Hopefully in time www.golflandwarehouse.com can make the list. We aren't quite there yet but working hard. Golfsmith seems to be the model site for information. There are some cool GolfSmith shops out there too.

Golfland Warehouse

Favorite Golfer: Tiger Woods
Favorite Course Played: Cypress Point
Irons: Cleveland 588 Forged
Putter: Scotty Cameron CLN 1997
Driver: My Stage 2 Three Wood
Favorite Store: GolflandWarehouse.com

Kevin,

We have gotten spoiled with the prices available on the internet and it is hard for anyone "in the know" to pay retail prices that a club pro mostly charges. There is the obvious trade-off in service and knowledge but you will find that most people have been willing to take that trade-off for the lower prices. Unfortunately, we live in a Walmart world.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

I'm lucky I'm working at a club now that is all about service, and has mill river prices for the members. We still fit and sell a ton of clubs as the members are very loyal. Who wouldn't be? Great service and the price can't be beat. It's expensive to belong to that type of club though, I'm glad I still have an opportunity to work in that atmosphere, I really enjoy fitting equipment.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

PGA Superstore is HUGE! Great selection and at least 6-7 demo bays with simulators and launch monitors. Indoor sand, pitch and putting practice areas. Best selection of clothing and gear anywhere.

Golfsmith is a close second in terms of selection. Great variety of used clubs.

The local Golf Galaxy is smallish and only carries a few full lines, but they are full service.

Online, TGW or Golfsmith.

I get about 90% of my golf stuff on Ebay (but I make sure sellers have lots of good feedback). The only time I go to big box stores like Dick's, Golf Galaxy, Washington Golf or Golfdom is when they have a big sale. All my stuff I got at "discount". I only pay retail if and when I ABSOLUTELY must have a golf item (which is rare).

For me: E-Bay, BST on here, Golf Galaxy used club bin when they mismark something, NY Golf Center (for my Fourteen wedges), and various online retailers. I go into Golfsmith when I've had a bad day so I can laugh at the used club prices and maybe demo a club on the way home. Basically, it comes down to whoever has the lowest price for exactly what I am looking for. I refuse to pay retail.

For my work: Future Golf & Pete's Golf.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

No comparison. PGA Tour Superstores size and selection are unparalleled. They are coming west and opened two stores in Arizona. This store was started by former Home Depot executives. The have a penchant for doing things right and are backed by Bernie Marcus/Arthur Blank.

I travel thank goodness as Las Vegas NV has some of the worst Golf Shops in the country. Golf Galaxy, Las Vegas Golf & Tennis, and Pro Golf. Small, poor selection and sales staff. My comment on another thread asking about Golf Galaxy:

Golf Galaxy is the soon to be the Kmart of Golf Shops. I think Golf Galaxy is very poor, before and after Dick's. They do not keep a variety of clubs to demo such as the larger Golfsmith or Edwin Watts. They insist on taping up every club - even the face of the club. Most GG only have one to three hitting stalls as it is.

They will not allow you to use the Vector unless you are paying for a club fitting. As an example Golfsmith in Chandler AZ or in Columbus OH has four Vectors, on all the time and a huge selection of demos. Golfsmith will also let you hit any club not represented, and they will assist you with the Vector scope even if they are not fitting you. Granted not every Golfsmith is as large as the two I mentioned, but they are on the right track.

Variety of clubs? Only if you have never been to a large Golfsmith, Edwin Watts, Roger Dunn, or PGA Tour Superstore. The variety that they do have will continue to get less and less now that Dick's owns them. GG does not carry Nickent, the new MacGregor line, Srixon, Bridgestone, Wilson, and only limited Mizuno and Titliest. Any of those lines you may find are only carry overs.

Being part of the retail industry, I understand that you must have the top lines, TaylorMade, Callaway, Nike, and so on, but they sacrifice a high percentage of dollars into those lines and nothing is left to develop brand width and selection.

Their stores are just too small to offer much more than a local mom and pop operation and they have a lot less personality. Finally they simply have more inexperienced sales people when compared to the other names mentioned.

I am thankful that GG is not a sponsor on Golfwrx.

I'm jealous of anyone that has a PGA Superstore in their area.

Why? How is it better than, say, a Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith Superstore?

I noticed on their website that they are going to start selling online in July.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

locally I like Golf Headquarters....never try and push me to buy something..and to contrary give advice and let me use swing stall and launch monitor to work on swing. sent friends there and helped them with putting stroke and other items. Great guys and great atmosphere

internet I prefer GPP and TGW...not tried many others except 3balls and like them too.

I stay away from Rock bottom after a couple frustrating experiences...