2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Does a certain hole have your number?

#6 at Mamala Bay Golf Course on Hickam AFB (now known as Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam). Par 3 that plays into the wind (especially when the trades are up). Elevated tee box, huge tree that guards more than half the green, with the rest guarded by a deep and wide bunker on the right corner. It's not long (maybe 140 yards or so?), but I always seem to get into the bunker or fly the green. I've played it probably 20 times and still have never parred it (I'm a horrible golfer, but I've parred every other hole on the course at least once).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hole 3 at my local course. Fairly easy par 4 and it's the easiest hole by hdcp, but there's a big tree just left of the fairway right where I always hit my drive. I make more doubles+ there than any other hole. I'm committing to hitting 3 wood there just to get it in play this season.

Cobra Amp Cell Driver
Cobra Amp Cell 3wood
Adams Super LS 3 hybrid
Mizuno jpx-825 pro irons 4-PW
Cleveland RTX wedges 52, 56, 60
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ugh, yeah. At The place I play most of my golf. Also the 10th hole. It's a par 5 of About 525 but plays uphill for About the first 350 Yards. And usually into the prevailing winds. But still,It's an easy Freaking Hole. Wide Fairway, manageable rough, no Bunkers and only a couple stands of Pine trees on either side. There are Limitless combos that should lead to a GIR and a bunch of Birdie Putts. Driver, 3 wood, little Pitch. Or may up with an iron and have a full wedge Or go 4 iron x2, and a short iron. I mean hitting your 2nd to between 150 and 100 leaves a flat lie to an elevated green the slopes back to front. EASY! Well, yesterday I made a 6....again! And it's absolutely maddening when I walk off there. It's bad if we start on that hole. But then I've played the front really well before only to make a mess of 10. Last year I I was -1 Through 9 and Dazzled my Foursome with an 8. That hole Has me wanting to gnaw on a wedge until I get to the creamy epoxy middle.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

17th hole on one of our two courses. Very, very short par five--about 430 yards but all uphill. Plus, I'm not a big hitter, so that doesn't help. The real trouble comes from the fact that the tee shot must be right down the middle of a severely saddle shaped fairway. The effective fairway width in the driver landing zone for average players is about 15 yards. Miss a little left and your tee shot goes way left down a steep hill. Then your second shot is blocked by big evergreens and you can only pitch back to the fairway. Miss right and you are deep in the oak trees and maybe in the hazard. So hard to hit driver and keep the ball in the fairway. If you miss the fairway, must hit second or third shot to far left side of fairway to have a good angle to the rock hard green that repels approach shots. Must avoid bunkers and trees in front of and to left of green. Nobody seems to be able to read this fast green either. I routinely make 6 or 7 on this hole. I suck but even I shouldn't be making such big numbers on a short par five. I'm going back to hitting an iron off the tee, then laying up to 80-100 yards, then a wedge to the green and try not to butcher the chip or first putt.

PING G400 MAX driver, 10.5*, Tour 65 shaft
PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
PING G15 hybrid, 23*, TFC 149H shaft
PING G400 irons, 5-U, AWT 2.0 steel shafts
PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 149I shaft
PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter

6th at Saratoga National, par 5. It seems like over 50% of the time I hit my second or third shot in the hazard to the right of the green. Laying or going for it doesn't seem to matter. Even par through 5 yesterday, hit the hazard for a double yesterday to start a rough stretch through the middle of the round and an 83.

BsrNzsgIEAAfFgj.jpg

18 at Tukwet Canyon - Legends course, Beaumont, CA. Longish double dogleg Par 4. There is a FW bunker on the left that I can only clear with a perfect strike, so I must hit a draw around it. Native-area evilness is all along the left side in case I overcook my attempted draw off the tee. If I double-cross myself and lose it right, I have a long, blind, 2nd out of the rough with trees, brush, reeds and water (in that order) along the right side. Even with a perfect tee shot, the approach is a long (for me), downhill shot with water immediately right of the green, and a deep bunker on the left. I've ruined a few nice rounds with a poor finish on that hole.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

Over the summer of 2014 I was down in Mississippi for a month for military training. The base's golf course had an easy hole 8. 300 yard par 4, with a pond on the front left edge of the green. Open fairway and two small bunkers (one backside of the green, and the other right side of the green).

My entire time there this was always my best driving hole. I'd hit my best drive of the day followed by a crappy approach shot and always would 3 putt for at least a bogey or double bogey every time...never a par

Then one day I finally beat the hole. I hit my drive, middle of the fairway, hit a 60 yard wedge shot that gave me a 3 foot putt, and I walked away with a birdie. Never played the course again because my training was over...It felt like victory though.

#6 at Mamala Bay Golf Course on Hickam AFB (now known as Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam). Par 3 that plays into the wind (especially when the trades are up). Elevated tee box, huge tree that guards more than half the green, with the rest guarded by a deep and wide bunker on the right corner. It's not long (maybe 140 yards or so?), but I always seem to get into the bunker or fly the green. I've played it probably 20 times and still have never parred it (I'm a horrible golfer, but I've parred every other hole on the course at least once).

I agree 100%, I stopped trying to hit the green, I play short (fringe) and putt from there regardless of where the hole is...but I agree that is a very tough hole...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

My nemesis is/was #4 a short Par 4 (414) at Leilehua Golf Course in Hawaii, does not matter what I used off the tee (driver, 4W, hybrid, long iron), 90% of the time it was a guaranteed bogey or worse, what's funny is that the other 10% of the time it was birdie...never pared the thing in 6 years of being stationed in Hawaii and over 100 rounds at Leilehua...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Hole #1 at my home course. 350 yard par 4. Not difficult. I don't know if its mental or what. Green is super slanted back to front. If you are above the hole in the summer, good luck keeping it above the green. I am usually scrambling to make bogey. Thing that sucks is last week in league I put up a BIG number for the round. Probably the first time I birdied that hole in my life.

#5 and #18 at TPC Twin Cities.

#5 is a shortish par 4. Large waste area about 130-140 out from the green so driver isn't an option off the tee, generally leaving me with 160 ish depending what I take off the tee. The green is less than ten yards wide with no room for a miss left, and a tightly mown collection area leaving you 6-7 feet below the green if you go there, and the green tilts away from you. My miss is a pull, so I find myself in this area quite often. My shortgame is pretty good, but there's no stopping it short of the hole.

#18 is a par 5 and purely risk reward. The shortest route to the green is 260 to the pond and around 190 to carry the pond in your second shot, but the green is narrow front to back, so stopping anything short of a 6I on it would be tough. Best location for this is back right corner as the green is wider there, but it's rarely in that location, and the prevailing wind is generally into your face.

Safe route is left along the fairway around the pond, but who wants to play a hole at 540 when you can play it at 450?! Not this guy! Haha. I'm just too dumb to lay up.. I'm mean the greens just right there.. Lol. In my defense, the safe route fairway is very thin and bends hard around the pond. A layup generally means you have to hit a longer club into the green than you're laying up with since the fairway at the bend isn't any bigger than the green.

It's usually driver/wedge/9i vs 3w-5i/6i.

I've birdied it once or twice, and made par with a drop hitting my 4th back over the pond several times.

Dunham Hills in Hartland MI. Hole #14. 450 yard par four, tee shot is blind, there is water 240 yards from the tee box. So pretty much I have to hit 3 iron and then another 3 iron or long iron. There is a sliver of fairway about 15 yards wide to the right of the water that has OB right and obviously water to the left. One of the silliest holes I've ever seen but I like it, always gives me a challenge. Very happy to walk away with a 4 on that hole. I did once go 3 iron 3 iron from 238 to 18 inches. Only birdie on that hole and I have played there over a hundred times.

Taylormade Stealth 8.5* Kuro Kage TINI 60X

Titleist 917F3 15* AV RAW WHITE

Titleist T300 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X

Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x

Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic

There's a course I play a couple times a year (Agawam Hunt in Rumford RI) and the Par 5 15th hole just kills me every time. It's a dogleg left, where you go about 150-175 out over water, and then take a 90* left turn for another 300 yds with water on the left (that you also had to go over on the tee shot) trees on the right, and 5 traps starting from 150ish and closer towards the green. To an elevated green and water from the left of the green, around the back, and to the right side of the green. If you're long, left or right, or roll it off the back, you're in the drink.

The only really "safe" play from the tee is to hit the ball into the 6th fairway and try playing 6 backwards to the tee over some trees to the green.

Edit: Adding pic I have of hole

agawamhunt15th.jpg

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Hole #1 at my home course. Plays right at 380 or so.

Sharp dogleg right. Driver is too much and you send it into the woods. Perfectly placed tee ball right at the turn leaves you with about 165 yards into the green. Ball a little left and you are in a fairway bunkers that leaves you about 175-195 into the green. Ball just a touch left and you have no chance to get it near the green. Lets not forget that the fairway isnt flat, so you are almost always left with a shot that the ball is above/below your feet.

Green is protected by a bunker left, right and back of the green. Green slopes back to front and is a smaller green.

If I make par, I am dancing to hole 2. If I make bogey, I am skipping to hole 2. You really do not have any where to miss with your tee ball.

It really should not be that hard, but it is a big time struggle to place your tee ball perfectly and hit a great second shot onto the green. This hole ticks me off by just typing about it.

#ForTheShoe

The 5th at my home course causes me to be a mental midget for whatever reason. It's a short (561 from tips downhill) par 5, that has a fairly wide fairway. There is OB both left and right, and I seem to find one nearly every time that I play the hole. Tee shot sets up where you can work the ball either way, but you're better off hitting a little cut. The few times that I do keep it in play, I find myself having some odd yardage into the green and either hit a shot that comes up short into the deep bunkers just short of the green, or leave one way out to the right in a collection area/fescue. I have tried hitting all kinds of clubs off the tee and tend to find myself either too far back, or messing up on my layup because this hole is so in my head.

This year I have taken the approach of hitting 2iron, 2iron, wedge and have been able to get some confidence back that I can actually play the hole but each time I go up to 3w or driver, I get myself back in to trouble.

We had a golf league that played a course called Links of Novi. #13 East (three nines) was a fairly lengthy par 4. Trouble short, left and right with a fairway steeply canted to the left. The ideal shot was an extremely straight driver up the right side. A draw would tend to roll into the swamp on the left, a fade did not have enough room off the tee (trees blocking) The added issues were a very swampy area so one was eaten alive by mosquitoes and the setting sun was always directly in our eyes. Talk about a hole from Hell; we were blind, tormented by pests and threading a needle.

I finally gave up hitting driver. Hit a 3 or 4 iron up the right side. If I got a good lie I had a lengthy but playable approach. If the ball rolled into a crappy lie, I laid up. I can't say I ever tamed the hole but I could par it now and then and mainly contained the damage.

Not your fault. That hole sucks. Ridiculous design!

For me, first hole at my league, Fieldstone Golf Course. 405, I think it plays more like 420-430. At best I might have 175 in, usually around 200 to an elevated narrow green. I think out of 18 rounds last year I hit the green twice! I just don't hit the tee ball far enough to give a decent chance at a GIR.

I don't find that hole (talking Fieldstone #1) tough to make par on, but I've only birdied it once in my 50 or so rounds there.

18th at my local course. 440, Par 4, dogleg right, approach shot is uphill. If I hit a straight drive I go into the driving range. If I hit something less than that I have about a 190-200 yard uphill approach shot to a small green surrounded by bunkers. I just never play this hole well. I have only parred it a few times and mostly bogey or double it.

I birdied that focker today! Decided I would try to slice my driver around the corner and hit it perfect. Had 175 uphill left, plays about 190, hit a 6 iron to 6 feet and drained the putt. Birdied for the first time ever and I was so happy leaving the course even though I had a mediocre round overall.

There's a course I play a couple times a year (Agawam Hunt in Rumford RI) and the Par 5 15th hole just kills me every time. It's a dogleg left, where you go about 150-175 out over water, and then take a 90* left turn for another 300 yds with water on the left (that you also had to go over on the tee shot) trees on the right, and 5 traps starting from 150ish and closer towards the green. To an elevated green and water from the left of the green, around the back, and to the right side of the green. If you're long, left or right, or roll it off the back, you're in the drink.

The only really "safe" play from the tee is to hit the ball into the 6th fairway and try playing 6 backwards to the tee over some trees to the green.

agawamhunt15th.jpg

--kC

That is a horribly designed golf hole

sheesh

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

agawamhunt15th.jpg

--kC

That is a horribly designed golf hole

sheesh

This course has changed over the years. Originally a William Park 9 hole course in the late 1800s, made 18 by Donald Ross in 1920. Then changed in the mid 60s due to some land acquisitions and trades, with the hole above built in 1964 by Geoffrey Cornish. So really, Cornish is to blame for it. :lol:

http://www.agawamhunt.org/Golf.aspx

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Cool thread...I have a hole each from the two different courses at my club.

My top nemesis is #17, a slight dogleg right, downhill, relatively short par 5. It is very reachable, even with a 5 wood off the tee (in fact I once reached it with 5w-5w). There should be nothing overly hard about the hole, except that the tee shot is guarded reasonably well on the left and the right, and there is a big fairway bunker right at the spot where you would land a 3w or driver were you to hit it straight and play to the fat part of the fairway. So the tee shot either requires a draw off of the sand trap (I'm a lefty), or a layup with a long iron to the fat part of the fairway. And then, the green has the most severe slopes of any of our greens, and is guarded by a tree on the left, and sand traps on both the left and right. I should just take my medicine and hit a damn iron off the tee and then move along accepting my very likely par, but it is just so tempting to try to reach it (probably because I have multiple times)...and I always seem to come to that hole needing a good score to solidify an awesome round, or salvage a round going sour.

My second nemesis is another short par 5 (#12 on my other home course). This is also a very easy hole that is very reachable, and there is almost no reason not to make par. The tee shot on this hole is a little tight, but not really that bad. The green is well guarded against run-ups by a massive bunker, but otherwise it is relatively benign. But for some reason, I can never hit a decent tee shot on that hole. On the few occasions I have, I get birdies and pars pretty easily. I should just "lay up" with my tee shot here, too...but again I can't bring myself to do it.

I have a handful of shots at my home courses that scare me to death every time I face them. I'm a lefty and my typical miss is right, so several of these are shots with a lot of trouble right. But I have a few where there is a lot of trouble left, and apparently there is a lot of golf ball magnetism in those hazards too. What's insane is that I find myself moaning about these shots after almost every round...I know what to avoid, and I know my tendency, yet I end up having a few of these shots ruin my round almost every time I play.

Love the replies, this has been therapy, lol.

I agree 100%, I stopped trying to hit the green, I play short (fringe) and putt from there regardless of where the hole is...but I agree that is a very tough hole...

I always had trouble with the long par 3 on the back nine. Have to hit a 3 iron some times on that, started just bailing out on the tee and chipping on for a par/bogey. Leilehua was so much tougher when the trees were tall. They have cut them all down to about forty feet, now.

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

#18 at goose creek gc. Its about 430 par 4 with water all along the right side. A perfect drive would be a 320 yard draw that starts ove the water and comes back to a narrowing fairway. Mind you wind is always blowing pretty hard towards the water. I can only hit it about 260 so im left challenging the water on my drive and approach if i want any chance of getting on the green in regulation. My last two scores on the hole was 7 and 7. I could do better playing the entire hole with a 6 iron but thats for pu$$ies. :)

I always had trouble with the long par 3 on the back nine. Have to hit a 3 iron some times on that, started just bailing out on the tee and chipping on for a par/bogey. Leilehua was so much tougher when the trees were tall. They have cut them all down to about forty feet, now.

Are you talking about the one by the water or the one closer to the clubhouse? I've had more than my fair share of quad bogeys on the one by the water, but at least on that hole I'm not having to figure out how to hit around a tree.

My nemesis hole is the par four third at sea n air golf course. I play this course about twice a week and I will get anywhere from bogey to triple bogey on the hole. It is a 401 yd hole that plays into the wind with water on the right and trees on the left. The fairway is very narrow and the water starts at about 200 yards and stops just short of the green. I normally miss left and navigate around trees to get to the green but if I hit short of the green the false front grabs it and right in the water it goes. If i hit it long it is OB over the fence, Very frustrating hole for me.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

#7 at Harbour Trees in central Indiana.

Short par 4 where the green and the fair way are parallel to each other. The green presents about 15 paces deep and 50 paces wide when hitting your approach. The green is perched on a little knob behind a small creek ravine and behind slopes hard time an raid.

I have found that it is best to hit past the traditional lay-up location and play and angle back to the green in order to give yourself more landing area.

It is one of Pete Dye's early designs. Local legend is that when the course opened the members were so upset about the hole they brought Pete back and complained to him. He went out to the hole, dropped 10 balls at 100 yards, stuck 8 inside 10 feet and proclaimed the hole fine.

Believe it or not but mine is a par 3.

#13 at my home course is approximately 140 yrd from the blues. Raised, narrow green that slopes heavily from left to right. All you see from the tee is the back portion of the green, cluster of trees left and right plus a creek to the right. The only reasonable miss (if by accident) is short.

This one is purely psychological, it just doesn't suit my eye and memory only serves me to remember bad shots I've managed to hit here.

Even yesterday, it was playing 135 yrd, hit 52* in a left-to-right wind. I hit the green, distance was good but the spin pulled off the green to the right, got caught by the trees, couple hard chips, and one put for a double...yikes.

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

Are you talking about the one by the water or the one closer to the clubhouse? I've had more than my fair share of quad bogeys on the one by the water, but at least on that hole I'm not having to figure out how to hit around a tree.

By the water, lol. That one is a pain.

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.