Swing speed too fast for DG TT S300 shafts?

Hey guys,

First post on the forum, I've already enjoyed reading through a bunch of posts. Seems like a great place.

Yesterday, I had my first ever iron fitting. I'm between two heads and have a question about shafts. I don't have a ton of confidence in the guy who did the fitting. He basically just said, "you hit it great, just get whatever feels the best." Problem was, they didn't have any DG TT x100 shafts. He recommended I stick with S300 shafts since that's what I currently play with.

I'm wondering whether I would benefit from x100s. My 7-iron swing speed was consistently at 90-91 mph and carried 170-171 yards (ending up at 175-177). I always fear hitting it left when I need to rip one, and I've seen others on here comment that a shaft that isn't stiff enough can cause that. Should I stick with the S300 or SS an x100?

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very easy to find clubs with x100 shafts in them....and Hit them.... head is irrelevant, and he is pretty much right, it's all feel....even buy a single iron with x100 in it and take it to the course...problem solved

True temper has fitting chart online and they're are tons of threads on x100 shafts and swingspeeds....90mph 6 iron is right in ballpark.....

Luke Donald played with s300 for years and won fed ex cup using them with 90 mph 7 iron shafts....it comes down to feel and preference

Doubt you would need to soft step them....it's not a huge difference, certainly have swingspeed for em....if s300 feels too soft get an x100....it's really not too big or complicated of a deal....common sense goes along way and I am sure you've already researched this some so you already know the answer

I don't know much about proper shaft fitting apart from what I've read tonight post-fitting. Can't find anything that gives swing speed ranges for different shafts, though I'm sure something's out there. Thanks for the response; I figured it probably wasn't a huge deal either way.

It should have more to do with how you are loading the shaft. My SS is a tad bit higher and S300 is money for me, I have a very smooth swing and am not an aggressive loader.

Is your miss left a pull or a hook?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

+1 to the above. I'm in the same ballpark you are (92-3mph 6 iron) and prefer a weaker iron shaft for 1/2 and 3/4 shots more than anything. I was told o could play the 6.5 or 6.0 but ultimately went with the 5.5.

When I do take a full swing, if I hit it solid the ball still finds a way to go at the flag even if I'm playing the 5.5s and not the 6.5s ;)

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

It should have more to do with how you are loading the shaft. My SS is a tad bit higher and S300 is money for me, I have a very smooth swing and am not an aggressive loader. Is your miss left a pull or a hook?

Both. My most common miss is a 5-10 yard push/fade, but every so often (maybe once per round) the double-cross comes out. I think it's probably due to my shoulder plane being too flat and not the flex of the shaft. It's not like I'm swinging my 7i @ 95 so it sounds like the S300 should be fine. I do love the feel. That said, if I can take out the left side of the course just by changing to a stiffer shaft, I might do it. Again though, it's probably not the arrows.

I don't have what you would call a "smooth" swing. Definitely aggressive, as I attack the ball more than letting it get in the way.

Could be a catch 22, you may take the left out at the expense of a lot more blocks to the right....... I would stay with S300. My opinion, you should never make an equipment change to fix a swing issue.

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I feel into the "I should play an X" shaft trap a year ago and I have a similar swing speed. I went back to a stiff flex in my irons because it has better feel and I lost a bit of distance control with the X - I found full shots to be ok, but 3/4 shots tended to be inconsistent in distance.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Could be a catch 22, you may take the left out at the expense of a lot more blocks to the right....... I would stay with S300. My opinion, you should never make an equipment change to fix a swing issue.

Completely agree with your last statement. The question is whether there IS a swing issue causing the miss left on big swings; as I said, I think I just get too flat at the top sometimes. Doesn't sound like the S300 is the culprit given my swing speeds.

Thanks guys.

S300 vs X100 vs other shafts in the same spec range or shaftfitting in general, is not just about swingspeed, it's also about all the other parameters in regard to the swing.

Sounds kinda weird to say: just stay with the shafts you already play, instead of finding out which shaft would benefit you most. I would find another place to hit more shafts.

Are you late release, early release, do you launch your irons high, mid or low? how is the dispersion, is the spin in the right range etc.

How is your tempo during swing and transition. So many things to consider when choosing a shaft.

Although with all the 'static' parameters to consider I think feel is very important as well.

Do some more research and find another fitter.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

Hey guys,

First post on the forum, I've already enjoyed reading through a bunch of posts. Seems like a great place.

Yesterday, I had my first ever iron fitting. I'm between two heads and have a question about shafts. I don't have a ton of confidence in the guy who did the fitting. He basically just said, "you hit it great, just get whatever feels the best." Problem was, they didn't have any DG TT x100 shafts. He recommended I stick with S300 shafts since that's what I currently play with.

I'm wondering whether I would benefit from x100s. My 7-iron swing speed was consistently at 90-91 mph and carried 170-171 yards (ending up at 175-177). I always fear hitting it left when I need to rip one, and I've seen others on here comment that a shaft that isn't stiff enough can cause that. Should I stick with the S300 or SS an x100?

I've been through your problem myself. The short answer, the only way you'll really know is to try them.

It all comes down to how smooth your swing is. A smoother to moderate tempo and/or transition, you should have no problem playing DGS. If you go at it a bit harder, you may then want to look at DGX.

The feel takes some adjustment. When you're used to the greater flexing of a DGS shaft, and first put DGX into play, you can sometimes find yourself trying to swing in such a manner that you can load the DGX shaft similarly to what you experienced with DGS. Amazingly, this isn't always conducive to low scoring. ;)

One option, you could always pick up a single club from ebay, that has DGX, see what you get. Depending on what you're looking at, it's not especially cheap, but it's cheaper than getting two sets of the same irons, only with different shafts, and letting them battle it out for bag supremacy. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It is my opinion (again) that dispersion is simply the product of being an amateur with an inconsistant swing. Spin and trajectory are more fixed with the correctly weighted/flex of a shaft than left and right. I have an 85g R flex in an old Cobra and hit it great. I find when I start having issues with pushes and pulls that my swing needs addressing.

Seemore mFGP2 

It is my opinion (again) that dispersion is simply the product of being an amateur with an inconsistant swing. Spin and trajectory are more fixed with the correctly weighted/flex of a shaft than left and right.

That sounds reasonable, but what happens if you were to put a regular flex 5i in the hands of someone like Bubba Watson? The only difference would be spin rate and trajectory? I'm not being a smart a**, I'm truly curious.

Edit: after a quick search, it sounds like the consensus is that a shaft that's too soft will magnify your misses due to a spin rate and trajectory that's too high. That piques my curiosity even more, as the irons I play now have DGS300 shafts and I've always hit them really high. I'll definitely be finding somewhere to test the S300 and X100 side-by-side using the same head.

It is my opinion (again) that dispersion is simply the product of being an amateur with an inconsistant swing. Spin and trajectory are more fixed with the correctly weighted/flex of a shaft than left and right.

That sounds reasonable, but what happens if you were to put a regular flex 5i in the hands of someone like Bubba Watson? The only difference would be spin rate and trajectory? I'm not being a smart a**, I'm truly curious.

Edit: after a quick search, it sounds like the consensus is that a shaft that's too soft will magnify your misses due to a spin rate and trajectory that's too high. That piques my curiosity even more, as the irons I play now have DGS300 shafts and I've always hit them really high. I'll definitely be finding somewhere to test the S300 and X100 side-by-side using the same head.

Im just going to echo a bunch of post but for the heck of it.....

Bubba with a regular shaft wont mean too much, what I mean is if they had 2 chances to hit the ball, after the first shot they would know whats going, on, shaft flex as echoed above is about transition at the ball and how you load the shaft....

Fast forward to 5:47

[media=]

[/media]

Video is an example of what you asked above, they can control their tempo and loading to compensate for the whip of the shaft. Fast forward to when he has his 3X Shaft, his loading is waaaaayyyyy different and the swing is way more violent then it was with the wet noodle.

Going back to you....

1) Shaft weight is based on your Tempo, the difference between S300 (130grams) and X100 (130grams) basically the same weight

2) Flex S300 5.8 FCM, vs X100 6.8FCM while thats a pretty large step 1FCM its really depends on how you load the shaft, are you a violent transition person or do you have a pretty smooth transition to the ball?

Anyways.... I am slower I have a Driver SS of about 107mph, so my 7 iron would probably be in the high 80's but dont think 90's and I play with X100's because it works the best dispersion for me. Outside of that, I probably would get better distance with S300 but my timing may not help as I may have a wider dispersion as I tend to be quick on my transition.

So I again S300 isnt out of the realm I think how you load and transition to the ball is the key factor.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

As you said, it magnifies a swing flaw :)

I would get a demo 6 iron with x100, just so you know where you stand. Just know it comes with its own set of "magnifiers" :)

I have played everything from R300 to FCM 7.0 in my irons, in the end it came down to feel, which for me is one of the greatest "effecters" on how I play.

Seemore mFGP2