2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Adidas "Actively Pursuing" a buyer for Taylormade Golf

tannyhoban

I'd love to see Under Armour pull the trigger, but as stated I doubt it will happen.

Especially after dropping all that coin on Bryce Harper!

Not to mention their poster boy Spieth would probably have to start playing Taylormade clubs.

Curious to see if any pro staffers jump ship w/ all of the unknowns.

Could someone like New Era afford such a deal?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UA just renewed several collegiate contracts and I doubt funds are there to buy TM (I know they have the money, but it would blow a huge hole in what they currently have). UA makes a lot of money outside the golf market and really doesn't even need that market, so no reason to risk a company on golf equipment. I think Bridgestone makes a lot sense and their current products are crap.

I don't think UA is in play for this. As many have said, it really doesn't make sense. I wonder if Adidas would be willing to sell the rights to Adams/Ashworth separately from TM. Adams were making very good golf clubs, especially forged ones, but got the stigma of "This is Grandpa's irons".

TM Sim 10.5*|Nike Vapor Pro Fly 15* |Nike CPR 18* Wood

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

they got that stigma because that's how TMAG pushed their marketing.

Adidas has been great at ruining golf companies so far. i'm hoping this can get them both back on track.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I don't think UA is in play for this. As many have said, it really doesn't make sense. I wonder if Adidas would be willing to sell the rights to Adams/Ashworth separately from TM. Adams were making very good golf clubs, especially forged ones, but got the stigma of "This is Grandpa's irons".

Adams seems to have gotten the reputation for screaming "Game Improvement" with their clubs.

Perhaps someone could buy Adams Hybrids, Taylormade woods and irons, and Cleveland wedges (I heard Srixon is phasing Cleveland out) and make a new company. :dntknw:

Adams was bought by TM and stripped of all it valuable patents etc and club designers which now are in the TM club line. The only value remains in Adams is a name that a Dicks or other could purchase for and in house brand that still holds some recognition in the marketplace.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

Parsons Xtreme Golf will buy them, triple the price of everything AND everything will sell like crazy under the PXG moniker.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

If I worked in the R & D department and was recognised as being at the top of the profession, I would be waiting for another company to come in for me or actively looking for a position with another company.

The other option of course is a management buyout and I suspect that this is the only way that the TaylorMade name will continue. I can't see any of their competitors taking them on

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

With as much private equity money roaming around the globe it's painfully obvious that the expected return on capital is unattractive at current asking price. I'm sure to some extent current management executives have tossed around the idea of an lbo of some form but it has to be one helluva of a risky venture.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

Adams seems to have gotten the reputation for screaming "Game Improvement" with their clubs.

Perhaps someone could buy Adams Hybrids, Taylormade woods and irons, and Cleveland wedges (I heard Srixon is phasing Cleveland out) and make a new company. :dntknw:

I think you're more likely to see Srixon buy a high end putter company than to sell Cleveland. They seem to be following the Titleist strategy (Titleist balls, irons, woods, Vokey wedges, Cameron putters). Srixon could have Srixon balls, and clubs, with Cleveland wedges, and another high end putter. They also have the super high end covered with XXIO.

I honestly can't believe UA's name even gets brought up in these threads. Here's Adidas, a top two retailer in the world who probably has triple if not more, global sales than UA, who can no longer shoulder the losses from TM/Adams/Ashworth, and people think UA should gobble them up? UA shareholders would crap their pants if they even thought about getting into a losing market like golf equipment.

Everyone assumes a golf related company would have to buy TM, but I could see a venture group buying TM and letting it operate itself and do it's own thing

or do the private equity thing, buy it, rape it then bankrupt it (like Edwin Watts)

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 6-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping Glide 3.0 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

I'm sure you could make TaylorMade profitable again, or alternatively make it fairly revenue neutral, but use it to boost the rest of your company. TaylorMade's biggest issue always seemed to be that they were chasing growth above all else. Which was fine as long as the game was growing. But if the game doesn't grow, or even shrinks, that strategy is not viable.

With clubs the way they are right now, there isn't a ton of use into throwing massive amounts of R&D into them. That's a huge area of cost that could be cut. You could also very easily scale back production. There's no use producing more than you can sell. All that does is anger consumers (when they see a product drop in price a few months after they purchase it) and retailers (who have tons of old stock they need to move at reduced prices). Just doing those two things would help with the bleeding.

The money is in balls, as they need to be bought over and over, and margins are great compared to clubs.

The business model changed somewhere along the line, perhaps as our attention spans seemed to have decreased? He doesn't know if what was once the notion of a new Caddy each year was just a very wealthy man's deal, to where it has trickled down to more and more folks. Again, JP doesn't know if this notion is applicable either. The equipment forum teems with yearly purchases of new sets, which always surprises JP. It isn't a knock so stop your impending assault...

Used to be isn't applicable anymore, he gets it. And sure, new shinny clubs rock as much as spring training hope does for Cubs' fans.

Never got the aura of TM clubs, never owned them other than one of their earlier drivers. Pretty blingie in his estimation, and their last few years product rotations suggested to anyone choosing to pay attention that either technology has accelerated phenomenally, or marketing has overtaken everything. He tends to think the latter is the case, but it could also be a combination of both. Does it matter? Not really.

Adidas does somethings really well. They made the very first, modern era mass bought sneaker.

Jack also likes their golf shirts until they started putting plastic stripes on them that fall off after a while. $75 golf shirt with three plastic bands on them, what was Jack even thinking!!!

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

TaylorMade really turned off a lot of club pros and management companies by rapid cycling new models and selling previous models at deep discount at Dick's.

Most pros got stuck with full price clubs in their shops - some hadn't even received clubs before Dick's discounted them!

Many simply refuse to ever stock TaylorMade clubs again, and TaylorMade can't make any volume deals with golf management companies any more.

Stupid sales strategy which back fired big time!

TM has been for sale for a while now!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

If you read some of the market reports about Adidas last few earning reports you will see that TM and Adidas golf clothing were actually performing at quite high levels of profit %. Adidas bundled the TM and Adidas golf line with Ashworth and Adams, two lower level, box store type brands that have been seriously under performing since acquisition. They purchased each of those brands for about 70m and 80m respectively, not smaller amounts, but the entirety of the Adidas "golf" portfolio did somewhere near $1.5B in 2011. It just shows you that sometimes you must become realistic about what each brand can do - today's marketplace with all of us club hos and 5%s on GOLFWRX are the smallest minority of golfers on the planet. Most buy clubs every 5 years and sometimes 10. The demand for Adidas to continually pump out new clubs and expect our marketplace to buy them like 1 year old sneakers definitely was lost in German translation.

Does Bridgestone need golf balls? No. They have a decent market share, but maybe more is the idea as TM does have a decent ball market here.

Bridgestone has no real golf clothes presence in America, so there's that.

Clubs? They seem to be gaining ground here, and they do well in Asia as such, but the margins are not as great as the other two segments.

Perhaps if they could get Adidas to forgo golf clothing in the US as a condition of sale?

Who'd want to have to compete with Adidas polo and short/pant/windbreaker golf sales if you bought them out?

Jack wouldn't.

He largely has no idea what he's talking about? 90% likely!

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Why would UA ever want to get into clubs?

Low margins, small market.

Stick with clothes.

That's what people said about them 10 years ago when they started making shoes. "Don't make shoes. Stick to work out clothes."

Driver: Cobra F8+ 8*, Tensei Pro Blue, X-flex
1 iron: Mizuno MP-H5
3 Iron: Srixon U65
Irons: Cleveland 588cb 4-P, Preceision Rifle 6.5, 2*up
Wedges: RTX 3- 50*, 54* and 60*
Putter: EvnRoll 5, 35", 0*, 74*

I have it figured out.....

We've been hearing about the sale of TM for quite a while now. Why hasn't someone made a move yet? It's because that buyer is too busy running for president. Yes. Donald Trump. He can't be seen buying companies when he's running for prez. He even plays Taylormade clubs! The evidence speaks for itself. You heard it here first.......This is yuuuuuuuge news

Does Bridgestone need golf balls? No. They have a decent market share, but maybe more is the idea as TM does have a decent ball market here.

Bridgestone has no real golf clothes presence in America, so there's that.

Clubs? They seem to be gaining ground here, and they do well in Asia as such, but the margins are not as great as the other two segments.

Perhaps if they could get Adidas to forgo golf clothing in the US as a condition of sale?

Who'd want to have to compete with Adidas polo and short/pant/windbreaker golf sales if you bought them out?

Jack wouldn't.

He largely has no idea what he's talking about? 90% likely!

Crich does not like all this third person mumbo jumbo. :russian_roulette: