2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Adidas "Actively Pursuing" a buyer for Taylormade Golf

tannyhoban

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Bridgestone need golf balls? No. They have a decent market share, but maybe more is the idea as TM does have a decent ball market here.

Bridgestone has no real golf clothes presence in America, so there's that.

Clubs? They seem to be gaining ground here, and they do well in Asia as such, but the margins are not as great as the other two segments.

Perhaps if they could get Adidas to forgo golf clothing in the US as a condition of sale?

Who'd want to have to compete with Adidas polo and short/pant/windbreaker golf sales if you bought them out?

Jack wouldn't.

He largely has no idea what he's talking about? 90% likely!

Crich does not like all this third person mumbo jumbo. :russian_roulette:

I'd put that JP guy on ignore if I was you!

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Let's see $99 M1 Drivers for all!

As an aside, the Sports Authority is supposedly ceasing operations and will have liquidation sales at their stores. I'm sure there will be some good golf deals to be had.

Well they are for sale, they are closing 140 stores and will not reorganize under current ownership. Whether they completely liquidate will not be known until the end of May. 50/50 at this point.

Wife works for them at a corporoate level

If it happens, it could be a private equity firm or a foreign company whose currency is strong against the dollar. There is no way Ashworth and Adams sell separately. The two brands have lost so much value, who would pay anything for them? TM stripped them both of their brand appeal, their quality and their IP, leaving them both to rot. They couldn't get much for either individually (or both together) to even make it worth their while at this point. The sale would actually be for TM, and the buyer gets Ashworth and Adams as a "bonus."

Sad if you ask me.......the business model of competing against themselves while flooding the market with shorter and shorter product life cycles was going to catch up. Retailers and consumers alike have gotten fed up with the BS. If you can't protect the entity's profits that sell your product, they will eventually stop representing. Combine that with the claims that everything you release is bigger, better, faster, longer, etc., and eventually the buying public will feel duped and look at other brands. I believe many people have come to realize that their is little value in what TM offers because something "better" is right around the corner, leaving anything anyone's bought with immediate and accelerated diminishing value.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Actually Callaway wins that title....

Yes, Callaway have released more clubs than any other company in the last 5 years by quite a margin.

The trouble is that when you have a talented R&D department like TM that has consistently produced fantastic clubs you struggle to hold them back.

No, you just don't bring them all to market. If you do, you have a race to the bottom, which is what has happened to the industry.

I see Adams and Ashworth going to a Golfsmith. PGA Tour Superstore or Dicks. TaylorMade is the harder sell depending on how much of the soft good rights Adidas is retaining. I see a lot of TaylorMade hats on the course but not a lot of their shorts or shirts, Nike, Adidas and UA are much more popular.

Adidas is going to have a tough time selling TaylorMade, given their statements that the hard goods aren't profitable and having that backed up by Nike who is also struggling to be profitable with their hard goods.

PXG and Bridgestone might be options given both companies have highly touted irons but are lacking in drivers and woods. PXG likely believes they can do it on their own but acquiring TM accelerates their R&D and gives them access to some bigger name pros. We know Parsons has the money, it's just a matter of whether his business plan is organic growth or he's willing to acquire companies to reach his goals.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

What price would anyone pay for a company that consistently loses money? Taylormade, along with Callaway, have already ruined the profitability of the golf equipment industry. I don't think that there is a path to profit for them. If they try to reverse course on releases, Callaway will take their share. They'll have to find someone with a big dream, kind of like the first, second and third owner of a golf course. Unlike the delusional golf course buyers, the buyer of Taylormade won't be able to ignore the numbers. Looks like a rocky road to me.

The only possibility that may work is to sell out to Callaway. They might have a chance to start longer product cycles if they were together.

What price would anyone pay for a company that consistently loses money? Taylormade, along with Callaway, have already ruined the profitability of the golf equipment industry. I don't think that there is a path to profit for them. If they try to reverse course on releases, Callaway will take their share. They'll have to find someone with a big dream, kind of like the first, second and third owner of a golf course. Unlike the delusional golf course buyers, the buyer of Taylormade won't be able to ignore the numbers. Looks like a rocky road to me.

The only possibility that may work is to sell out to Callaway. They might have a chance to start longer product cycles if they were together.

Callaway doesn't have the money to buy TM. It will take time to turn TM profitable on hard goods so someone with deep pockets and no shareholders needs to buy it, like Parsons.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Callaway doesn't have the money to buy TM. It will take time to turn TM profitable on hard goods so someone with deep pockets and no shareholders needs to buy it, like Parsons.

Actually, Taylormade is not worth it, The numbers tell the story. But CXX makes a great point on the type of buyer that might be interested

Cant help but feel, anyone purchasing Taylormade, would be a fool's foley. The value , if any, is only in name recognition.

That said, under better management and a fire sale price, this could put the taylormade brand be in a better position

than it has been in years.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I see Adams and Ashworth going to a Golfsmith. PGA Tour Superstore or Dicks. TaylorMade is the harder sell depending on how much of the soft good rights Adidas is retaining. I see a lot of TaylorMade hats on the course but not a lot of their shorts or shirts, Nike, Adidas and UA are much more popular.

Adidas is going to have a tough time selling TaylorMade, given their statements that the hard goods aren't profitable and having that backed up by Nike who is also struggling to be profitable with their hard goods.

PXG and Bridgestone might be options given both companies have highly touted irons but are lacking in drivers and woods. PXG likely believes they can do it on their own but acquiring TM accelerates their R&D and gives them access to some bigger name pros. We know Parsons has the money, it's just a matter of whether his business plan is organic growth or he's willing to acquire companies to reach his goals.

I was thinking the same thing as well having PXG being TM's suitor. They have deep pockets and if they want to get big real fast at a discount, buying TM wouldn't such be a bad idea...

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

i still think the TM brand has value, it has a longer positive history than it does negative, at least from my perspective.

i think you can steal it and get back to what they used to be, but anybody that tries to turn a quick profit will be sorely disappointed. look at what happened with Aston Martin and Jag for 20 years. REALLY strong brand names with poor management led the company down the toilet, acquisitions by other mfgs and private equity groups that tried to turn them around quickly failed. it's only over the last 10yrs or so that they've slowly regained their cache, through steady releases of solid product over long periods of time.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I assume Adidas would still keep the soft goods since that's all in the Adidas brand name, so this is literally looking to be a sale of TM and Adams patents and ash worth clothing?

Not appealing to a company that wants to make money.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

Tour pro I know said he's heard rumors Bridgestone is interested in buying TM. Would greatly increase their club presence.

They'd be crazy to do it.

Putting their Bridgestone clubs in shops would be a start in increasing their club presence - on a visit I made to the US I was keen to see a 440 or was it 420cc driver head they had out in USA (and not in their home market of Asia under Tourstage)... went to various of the usual suspects and couldn't see any B'stone clubs at all - even though they have the retail presence in those stores with their golf balls.

Pretty hopeless management it would seem... so maybe they are dumb enough to buy TM. After all, they decided to ditch their extremely successful Tourstage brand in Asia and go with the Bridgestone name and continue not to put their clubs visible in the US market.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

As I see it TaylorMade needs real golf enthusiasts to run it and make it work in the public eye. Just look at the difference between the websites of Ping and TM. Ping really cares for their fans - they list all the specifications of classic models and they really push the history of the brand.

TM's websites have been a disgrace for years. You Google last years model and all the links have been destroyed - you get catapulted to the latest models and that's it. This is really treating customers like idiots. It's also giving out the message that "our history as a brand is completely irrelevant". Well - news for you guys, history plays a big role in establishing how serious a brand is.

The only way it will happen is with someone else's money. What your saying is that someone with the money and no need for accountability will ignore Taylormade's financials will buy it. I just think that nobody fits that description. Parsons is just getting his feet under him with PXG, which is going better than I thought it would. He may be many things but I don't think stupid is one of them.

I will preface with the obvious fact that I am speaking on rumor and that I cannot actually NAME my source for obvious reasons.

From two separate people I have recently been told that Under Armour is in talks with Acushnet/Fila/whoever about the solo purchase of Titleist.

First source, Titleist ball/equipment representative in the Southeast speaking on anonymity told me in the next 12 months Titleist is very likely to be acquired by Under Armour. The biggest hurdle they have right now is FootJoy and what will become of it. Obviously UA doesn't have real interest and use for FootJoy but Acushnet would not be very keen on selling Titleist to a competing softgoods brand while staying in the softgoods market.

Second source, when discussing Adidas' sale of TaylorMade, TaylorMade Tour Van employee said that their is strong word that the softgoods/hardgoods market is in position to see some MAJOR changes in multiple camps. TaylorMade will be sold to an investment group soon without a doubt. FInal hurdles to jump involve sale of Adams and Ashworth to seperate parties. Also said without being pushed that there is strong word from other that Titleist will be bought by Under Armour in the next year or two.

What is everyone's thoughts and has anyone else heard similiar???

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

There is literally zero reason for Under Armoir to shell out the cash necessary to buy Titleist.

Not disagreeing but what was Adidas' reason for buying TM?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

I hope Adams comes back strong.

House brand for Dicks from what I Am told

Wasn't Ashworth a really big name in golf clothes at one time? How quickly things change.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

What elitists and why would it upset them?

I'm guessing because Under Armour is still a young company (and very new to golf) and Acushnet/Titleist is the most recognizable and refined/elite golf company to ever exist.

Under armour has a "new kids on the block" feel and traditionalists wouldn't like seeing the great Titleist being bought by them.

titleist/acushnet already made a bad move by selling out to Fila, at least in my mind. i think there's a real opportunity to leverage up on Spieth. right now under armour is holding a pair of jacks, the dealer is holding a 5, and they could split them and double down with a Titleist purchase.

UA has been pretty conservative so far with their golf releases, and is much more in line with what FJ offers than what say Puma does within the golf space. pretty tough to split up FJ and Titleist, though if they can somehow bond the JS and UA "brand" with Titeist they have a long term winner. much easier path than even nike had when they signed TW.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT