2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How my PXG's were built wrong and poor!!!! PXG gave me no help!

Wardonation

PXG = Rebadged Golfsmith components. This company will be down the toilet soon.

Call the WAHmbulance... someone is melting.

:-)

I don't know of any company that does not have issues in its first full year of retail operations.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Golfsmith doesn't manufacture components.

PXG finally contacted me.....I'm going in for a fitting next week. Looking forward to it. I'll give an update......they instructed me to bring my irons (Mizuno MP 59) for a side to side comparison. The fitting will take place outside at Scottsdale National Golf Club.....I had a choice of outside there, or inside at their facility. I chose outside in order to see the ball flight.

PXG finally contacted me.....I'm going in for a fitting next week. Looking forward to it. I'll give an update......they instructed me to bring my irons (Mizuno MP 59) for a side to side comparison. The fitting will take place outside at Scottsdale National Golf Club.....I had a choice of outside there, or inside at their facility. I chose outside in order to see the ball flight.

Take a demo Srixon Z745 6 iron to compare at your fitting. It will be a better comparison than your Mizzy 59s and will save you two grand.

the PXG hate is real. Hilarious.

yes, they look like twins to the s55's but that is where it ends. I played the s55's last year and went to the 0311 and I am not looking back. Mishits, both fat and thing, are miles better than with the s55. The feel is better and confidence is better now because of that.

Ton of offset??? I guess it's all subjective... or something.

If these were priced like the 'normal' sets out there no one would complain.... well can't say no one because there's always someone.

you are NOT saving 2 grand by going with another brand. All things the same you are saving $1000. Only thing is, when you go to sell those new irons that don't have PXG on it you are losing at least 50% on them. For now, odds are you are only going to take a 10-20% haircut... and for some reason people will pay more on eBay. All comes down to accessibility.

anyway, to each their own.... you cannot find an OEM people don't complain about... yet, now with PXG getting inundated with orders, you see others coming out with big money sets... interesting.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Take a demo Srixon Z745 6 iron to compare at your fitting. It will be a better comparison than your Mizzy 59s and will save you two grand.

I doubt ANY demo 6 iron will be a better comparison to my Mizuno's. And to say that S(hit)rixon's would save me 2k tells me that they cost 400 bucks a set.....that also tells me a whole lot. Thanks for your opinion...but you know what they say about opinions.

OP, you chose the fitter and while PXG hopefully uses quality fitters, it is up to the consumer to check their references. Heck, I'm going to Mass to get a fitting as to PXG v. CF16 and to play golf with friends -- but I know the fitter and his work on irons is typically flawless. You've got to check them out. As to PXG, all you can expect them to do, and ask them to do, is to call the fitter, and ask them to make you happy by explaining their reasoning and modifying the clubs to your requested specs.

I'm dying of curiosity .... who in MA is going to build your clubs?

OP, you chose the fitter and while PXG hopefully uses quality fitters, it is up to the consumer to check their references. Heck, I'm going to Mass to get a fitting as to PXG v. CF16 and to play golf with friends -- but I know the fitter and his work on irons is typically flawless. You've got to check them out. As to PXG, all you can expect them to do, and ask them to do, is to call the fitter, and ask them to make you happy by explaining their reasoning and modifying the clubs to your requested specs.

I'm dying of curiosity .... who in MA is going to build your clubs?

I've known Frank Viola for about 10 years. I believe GD recommended him as a Top 100 Fitter last year. He has built Miura irons and wedges for me, and a few drivers. Frank is type A, confident and professional about his work, and opinionated, and I enjoy our banter. When people see him, I suggest they ask questions and give him feedback on what they like and don't like and ask questions. Frank will offer his opinion and experience. He is also exacting about his club builds. You just need to know your game and give that info to Frank or any fitter.

For example, I like a lively feeling driver at impact. Today's drivers are typically light in weight and over the years, I've tended to go 44.75-45 inches in length and I perform best, being older, with a 55g shaft. Frank will offer to hot melt, and knowing what I like, will only put in a light amount of hot melt to keep the head feeling lively while getting the club balance we want. He will place it in certain areas if needed. Others prefer a more "solid" heavy feel (and more melt). I do not.

As to shafts, I will tell him the feel and launch I want in a particular club, or during a fitting, I will say this feels a little tight, I'm working too hard, or the flex is a bit firm - we will look at numbers, and I will say I'd like a smoother feel but same launch, or a slightly less firm flex, and we will test weight, shaft, tightness, with another weight in same model or another shaft while looking at the effect on the launch monitor. I also bring my gamer golf balls to the fitting and any other accessories like counterweights to see their effect.

We are all different -- and for a fitter to work for you, we need to give them feedback.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I've known Frank Viola for about 10 years. I believe GD recommended him as a Top 100 Fitter last year

Ol'Frank, The Ace of Clubs. I've know him for 15 years. I wouldn't let him put a grip on my clubs.

Good luck.

oh burn.....ouchy !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was told the screws on the pxg irons don't come out and therefore not replaceable. Is that true? I thought the purpose of the screws was to dial SW and ball flight.

No, the screws have one purpose: perimeter weighting as they are made of tungsten.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I've known Frank Viola for about 10 years. I believe GD recommended him as a Top 100 Fitter last year

Ol'Frank, The Ace of Clubs. I've know him for 15 years. I wouldn't let him put a grip on my clubs.

Good luck.

Was wondering if you would chime in. Don't know your issues with Frank, but he does a great job on grips, among other things. lol. He does have a strong personality, and I embrace all personalities.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Good luck.

Was wondering if you would chime in. Don't know your issues with Frank, but he does a great job on grips, among other things. lol. He does have a strong personality, and I embrace all personalities.

Let's see ...

I've heard of grips he's done, using Duct Tape to build them up. ( I didn't personally see them.)

I had him do some shafts 12 years ago and the weights and lengths were all over the place.

I've seen numerous people go through his "fitting process", which is typically watching them hit 4 or 5 balls in his garage, with a micky mouse swing analyzer.

Then of course, as you mentioned ... there's his personality to deal with. I get a headache, just thinking about it.

He was the "club fitter/repairman" at Golfer's Warehouse in Natick for a few years and my gf worked there ... I saw way too much.

I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's doing, it's just getting him to do it, that's the issue.

Bruce, who replaced him at Golfer's Warehouse, is now at Club Champion. I'd trust Bruce to do something, before I'd let Frank work on my clubs.

Good luck.

Let's see ...

I've heard of grips he's done, using Duct Tape to build them up. ( I didn't personally see them.)

I had him do some shafts 12 years ago and the weights and lengths were all over the place.

I've seen numerous people go through his "fitting process", which is typically watching them hit 4 or 5 balls in his garage, with a micky mouse swing analyzer.

Then of course, as you mentioned ... there's his personality to deal with. I get a headache, just thinking about it.

He was the "club fitter/repairman" at Golfer's Warehouse in Natick for a few years and my gf worked there ... I saw way too much.

I'm not saying he doesn't know what he's doing, it's just getting him to do it, that's the issue.

Bruce, who replaced him at Golfer's Warehouse, is now at Club Champion. I'd trust Bruce to do something, before I'd let Frank work on my clubs.

I don't know about more than 10 years ago. I know about now. I know about a half dozen guys who say Frank's club building is faultless. Yes, he has nicely built out a former garage into a fitting room. It is not a commercial setting. He has an expensive simulator. I am not into sims, but I've heard the name and it's the kind that is in excess of $5k. Last time I saw him, we spent a morning fitting me for irons, driver, looking at various shafts, and hitting many golf balls. Don't know your experience, but I have found that people change and gain experience. I've accumulated over 20 years and watched various builders, I tend to ask good questions, know the answers I should be getting, and Frank gives the right answers. And I've changed my grips and seen his gripping station -- no worries.

As to personality, I get along with 9/10 people I meet. I like Frank. I'm fairly laidback and easygoing. And there are people with whom you just can't get along. You meet, they look, judge, they assume, they assume the worst, they only know the guy they met 10-15 years ago. They don't see change. You've been categorized and shelved. I've been the target of that practice. Did not like it, but it's reality. You can't do anything about other people's issues, only your own. I dig deeper and question myself. I change. And If I am only seeing the past, I don't see the person in front of me.

People ask me about club builders in my area. I've had experiences, several of them were not good. I"ve seen bad fittings. But that was over 5 years ago, and I don't know who they are today. So I don't go into details. I avoid them but listen, and stay open.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

So three sets of shafts later and finally a call tag from PXG. THe problem is my golf season is here and I cannot afford to send them out until after July.. The new issue has been swing weight and static weight. 5;6 iron D2 (PERFECT) 7 iron D4.5, 8 iron D3.5, 9 iron D3.8, PW D4 ( wanted D3 but I am good with that. The 7iron is D4.5 with lead tape in the grip as well. The last build with these had SW dialed in but over all weight was just brutal. The weights can come out with heat due to the locktite in them. The crazy thing is PXG has offered me ZERO solutions except finally to send them back and they will take a look? Crazy...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I was told from PXG that "some" of the weights in the irons could heavier than others? Crazy to have these issues with these clubs.. $2450 5-PW. Two sets of Modus shafts $235 each and forget about all the Z CORDS I have bought as I do not like to reuse and shouldn't at this price point.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I was told from PXG that "some" of the weights in the irons could heavier than others? Crazy to have these issues with these clubs.. $2450 5-PW. Two sets of Modus shafts $235 each and forget about all the Z CORDS I have bought as I do not like to reuse and shouldn't at this price point.

Wait...so you're 3Gs deep into a set of irons that PXG and whomever built them can't seem to get swingweighted right?

The lead tape under the 7-iron grip sounds like a band-aid approach to a larger problem.

How much longer until you start asking for your money back?

Just to conclude from the above, I had my fitting yesterday with Frank Viola at www.aceofclubstp.com. We fit for irons, hybrids, driver, and took a look at my fairways. Spent 3-4 hrs with Frank trying several iron shafts, getting the correct weight and flex, etc.

Going into his place is like visiting the candy store when you were a kid. Clubs frame the walls, and you get to pick. He has more PXG 0311 6i and 7i demos with bonded/glued shafts than the eye can count with various shafts and flexes. None of that interchangeable gizmo thing -- this is real deal, what you hit in real life playable irons so you can get real feel and numbers.

Frank is very patient and personable, will try anything you want/suggest, and he will suggest a few ideas to try. I like the quiet setting, no one around but you and Frank, no one to bother, look or gawk. You can focus on your fit and what the ball is doing. The fitting took longer because I was tired from a business meeting the previous night, and was not at my best.

Frank gave me time to get comfortable and warmed up, and threw out balls as needed to get a decent picture of what was happening. We reviewed each of the results before going to another shaft or club. Frank is thorough and patient. He even built a PXG 0311 7i based on the fitting for me to play on the course today to see real ball flight. I liked the look and feel of the PXG hybrids and we found an appropriate shaft to give me more speed. We saw a few issues with me working too hard with the fairways and we went down a flex and tried different weights. Smash factors were maxed at times, so I need to develop more speed.

From what I saw and from answers to my questions, Frank only uses the highest quality accessories to build a club to ensure your confidence.

If one is paying $350-450 for an iron, hybrid, driver, etc, I strongly recommend going to a professional fitter, not the OEM. Self-fitting doesn't always work. It's like playing the lottery, but this time, the ticket isn't $5, it's several thousand. Your body changes as does your swing. Get to a quiet setting where you can discuss what fits you and where you can take your time. I learned a lot in my fitting. Good luck. And if you're in Mass, New England, or visiting/biz trip, as I was, check out Frank's golf candy store.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I have this cool thing called a scale that I use to find what things weigh. Perhaps they could get one of those and actually weigh the weights before screwing them in. It seems that would help get the headweights where they needed to be.

But what do I know?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I have actually built a set of PXG irons. You need the PXG parts, collared ferrule and a sort of tip cap, it is a plastic cap that fits over the tip of the shaft and acts as a shim to make everything fit perfectly when installing a taper tip shaft in these heads. They may make a head with a taper tip bore, but I have not seen them as I have only built a few of their clubs. I know this will come as a shock, but these parts a very similar to parts that PING has used for years. This tip cap shim, has been used to assemble PING drivers for years when using .335" shafts. Also, the screws do come in a variety of weights and are easily changed although I am not sure they will sell or supply extra weights. The quality of their products seems very high to me. I see lots of clubs and these are some of the best I have ever worked on.

I have this cool thing called a scale that I use to find what things weigh. Perhaps they could get one of those and actually weigh the weights before screwing them in. It seems that would help get the headweights where they needed to be.

But what do I know?

BT

I know a clubmaker who has the screw weights made so the clubs are to exacting specs.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

But what do I know?

BT

I know a clubmaker who has the screw weights made so the clubs are to exacting specs.

Who is that clubmaker? Thanks.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with VA Composites Nemesys 65s untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s tipped 1/2”

Ping G430 4 hybrid with Fujikura Ventus Blue Hybrid 10x untipped

Ping i530 5-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 50.5s, 55s, 59.5h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

If you can afford $3k in irons then you can afford a back-up set. Buy an inexpensive set of irons off of Ebay and send the PXG's back until they can help you find a decent club builder. You can sell them when you get your PXG's back. Unless you're a tour pro you can play with a set of standard clubs for a month.

I'm sure the margins are good on these very special sticks so it's not surprising some unqualified builders would jump on the bandwagon.

As stated earlier, it doesn't seem like PXG's fault as much as the builder, but considering their "elite" pricing I would think they would *try* and have excellent customer service. Sorry it's turned into such a pancake in your pants, OP.