2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping iBlade irons: shot at the 2016 Players Championship (In-hand pics of Louis Oosthuizen's irons a

My fitter got them in the shop today and I was able to hit them:) Specs of the demo club:

-7 iron

-Blue dot

-X100, non tour issue, Ping standard length

I hit premium balls, indoors, with Trackman.

About me: Last year, I played to an 11 handicap and came close MANY times to breaking 80. My short game could use a lot of work...and my course management too. My wife and I welcomed our third daughter in the Spring so my game has taken a justified back seat this season. Average 6-iron swing speed is 90-92mph.

Initial first impressions:

-Looks: Wow! Aesthetically, they look fantastic in person. Compared to my S55s they are a touch longer heel to toe. Because of that the toe appears higher- they are actually the same size. 7 iron to 7 iron, the I has a slightly wider sole than the s55s towards the heel. The finish looks great too. Definitely looks like the same Glide finish. The top line looks great too. In the bag, they could easily mistaken for a set of MBs. Easily the cleanest iron design Ping has ever designed. Overall, they look fantastic!

-Feel: They feel/sound more like the Glides. I like the sound a lot but in all honestly, I think I like the feel and sound of my s55s a little more. This is just an initial impression so that could change when I hit them off actual grass.

-Forgiveness: Pretty amazing. Completely amazed how Ping fits that level of forgiveness in such a small head design. Not sure I could tell a difference between my S55s but that is more of a testament to how good the S55s are. Overall, the iBlades are impressive.

-Distance: About the same as my S55s. The shaft in the demo was not the same shaft I had with my S55s so it wasn't an apples to apples comparison; however, they were in line with what I expected given my swing today.

Overall: Aesthetically, they look amazing. Gorgeous even! The looks alone tempt me to upgrade. However, would I upgrade... I would love to hit them side by side with my S55s, with the same specs, off of grass. To be honest, the performance did not blow me away but they are pretty good. I do not mean that to be a knock on the iBlade, it is just that my S55s have been amazing for me and my game. I have built a deep rooted trust with them so one session is not going to sway me to pull out my wallet. I would need more time and testing to say I would make the switch. But overall, I have to applaud Ping. They did a pretty amazing job.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fwiw, orders start to be acknowledged for production on the 1st is correct (when you'll receive them after that will be case by case basis).... seeing wall sets beings displayed at locations that have them on 11th.

I'm thinking about taking my rep out for a steak this weekend so he'll remember to submit my order first on Monday morning. :) Realistically, I'd love to have mine midway through August or a little later at the latest. I've got a three day golf weekend with four rounds scheduled for Sept. 9-11 and I'd like to put the new irons through their paces before then.

TC, for point of reference, last time we had custom sets of the G irons coming in before an "official" release date.... I'm gonna hedge you'll get your iBlades in even before Aug 11th.

fwiw, orders start to be acknowledged for production on the 1st is correct (when you'll receive them after that will be case by case basis).... seeing wall sets beings displayed at locations that have them on 11th.

I'm thinking about taking my rep out for a steak this weekend so he'll remember to submit my order first on Monday morning. :) Realistically, I'd love to have mine midway through August or a little later at the latest. I've got a three day golf weekend with four rounds scheduled for Sept. 9-11 and I'd like to put the new irons through their paces before then.

TC, for point of reference, last time we had custom sets of the G irons coming in before an "official" release date.... I'm gonna hedge you'll get your iBlades in even before Aug 11th.

I was trying to remember how quickly custom sets of G and i shipped when they came out, and I thought it was before display sets but I couldn't remember. Thanks!

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

Went to Golfsmith during lunch today and got to hit the iblade. There was line to hit it so I I had to be quick snapping pics and hitting some shots with it. Hit a 7i blue dot with Modus 105 stiff. I didn't have my clubs with me so I couldn't compare distances and feel but its not like it would be apples to apples anyways. They felt great with the Nippon shaft but I was pretty amazed how they looked. Pictures do not do them justice.

Heres a couple pics comparing them to the s55. I was rushed so sorry about the quality.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

Went to Golfsmith during lunch today and got to hit the iblade. There was line to hit it so I I had to be quick snapping pics and hitting some shots with it. Hit a 7i blue dot with Modus 105 stiff. I didn't have my clubs with me so I couldn't compare distances and feel but its not like it would be apples to apples anyways. They felt great with the Nippon shaft but I was pretty amazed how they looked. Pictures do not do them justice.

Heres a couple pics comparing them to the s55. I was rushed so sorry about the quality.

Thanks for the nice Pics.

I know that you didn't have your clubs, but did you notice anything that stuck out. Like launch high or low.??

I know that you didn't have your clubs, but did you notice anything that stuck out. Like launch high or low.??

I launch the ball pretty high with my irons (At least from 7 in) so it was hard to tell. I know being on a Golfsmith sim the numbers aren't always accurate but on mishits the yardage between balls hit flush and not weren't as big as I would normally see with my s55s. If that holds true, along with the looks of them, I'll be picking up a set.

Other than the looks (Simply amazing) I agree with what Bear said about not being blown away by them but thats because the s55s are so good to begin with. Subtle improvements to one of the best players CBs out there is fine by me!

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

For the lazy...

Club Length Loft

3-iron 39" 20°

4-iron 38.5" 23.5°

5-iron 38" 27°

6-iron 37.5" 30.5°

7-iron 37" 34°

8-iron 36.5" 38°

9-iron 36" 42°

Pitching Wedge 35.5" 46°

I also imagine that no one is going to give a damn about a "U" wedge for this set considering what a 50º Glide looks like.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

May be late tongue game but hit the iBlade today at my golf Galaxy. X100 was what was delivered with the demo with GP MC. Down by the ball it looks the same to me as s55, essentially feels the same. It was actually a little shorter for me. Looks sick in the bag but will probably either stick with my VR Forged Pro Combos or get a set of s55's.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I really need to hit these to see what they fee/sound like and also I wonder how large/small the sweet spot is on these babies?

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

DG tour issue as a stock option?

Please say no upcharge!

Any word on glide replacements, or 1 more year on those?

That's gotta be an error.

My rep confirmed my order will place Monday.

3-W +1/2"

Green

DG S400

Cannot wait.

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

I *just* bought a set of iE1's, own a set of S55's, and will be ordering a set of the iBlades for my birthday/anniversary/Arbor Day present to myself. I am a complete sucker for the look of them. Plus, if they are anything like the S55's, they are freakishly forgiving for their size. Winner winner checkin dinner! :)

I launch the ball pretty high with my irons (At least from 7 in) so it was hard to tell. I know being on a Golfsmith sim the numbers aren't always accurate but on mishits the yardage between balls hit flush and not weren't as big as I would normally see with my s55s. If that holds true, along with the looks of them, I'll be picking up a set.

Other than the looks (Simply amazing) I agree with what Bear said about not being blown away by them but thats because the s55s are so good to begin with. Subtle improvements to one of the best players CBs out there is fine by me!

I tested them again today and I am leaning towards staying with the the S55s...I think. Yardages on the indoor Trackman are fairly accurate for what I see on the course. The mishits were about the same comparing them to my gamer.

I will say, I am glad Ping took their time with these. The S55s are just so good it is nice to see Ping really try to make a noticeable improvement. I just really need to see the differences outside. Before I had my S55s I had the Nike Vapor Pro Combos and on the indoor Trackman they were about the same when I compared them to the S55s; however, when I hit them outside, the S55s were (for me) clearly superior. Turf interaction was much better and so was ball flight, trajectory, and distance. Pretty much perfect for what I want to see. If the iBlades are more consistent in the shot grouping and maybe a touch more forgiving and while keeping everything else the same, then maybe I might try to do a trade...

Edit: Also, Go Spartans!

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

this is probably a stupid question but how much forgiving would you think these are over a set miura mb-001, i love my miuras but man i am just not consistent right now

I hit the demo 7i against my 712 MB 7i today outside. I do prefer the feel/sound of my well-struck MB, but I hit the iBlade much more consistently. Got away with mis-hits that would have been awful with MB.

I could still play blades in 7-PW...but better ball strikers on the PGA tour (and LPGA for that matter) play more forgiving irons than I currently have. It's that handful of 3-5 iron shots per round that lead to bogeys or grinding pars that I'm trying to take out of my game with more forgiving irons.

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

this is probably a stupid question but how much forgiving would you think these are over a set miura mb-001, i love my miuras but man i am just not consistent right now

I hit the demo 7i against my 712 MB 7i today outside. I do prefer the feel/sound of my well-struck MB, but I hit the iBlade much more consistently. Got away with mis-hits that would have been awful with MB.

I could still play blades in 7-PW...but better ball strikers on the PGA tour (and LPGA for that matter) play more forgiving irons than I currently have. It's that handful of 3-5 iron shots per round that lead to bogeys or grinding pars that I'm trying to take out of my game with more forgiving irons.

I gamed a set of s59's when i played in highschool and absolutely loved them but sold them cause i was stupid, was interested in the miura because to me they are the ultimate blade and just so damn beatiful.

ill probably pick up a used set of s55's when people start selling them to get the iblades lol

Hey, dumb question, what would be the difference between a "u" (if they made one) in the iblades and a 50-52 glide wedge (whatever matched up)?

I thought the Glide had a thicker top line than the S55. It is rounded, so the top line on the Glide doesn't look as thick as it actually is.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Strange the wedges are "thicker" than the irons.

After some research, I figured mired would go with other companies' wedges based on look alone. I know Louie was playing md3 (one of my favorite players( find another guys' career other than couples that mirrors his) but bubba, Cabrera and Westwood (lee using the set I series wedges, what a hack) using the SAME variation of grinds.

Strange.