Rory's Outfit Thursday at The Players

jrgolfer37

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't stand the elastic cuffs, don't look comfortable to me. Are they not nothing more than sweat pants similar to what folks wear to the gym?

No one going to change how our younger players want to dress, can't happen and styles will change. The question is what dress codes are acceptable on the tour and at your course. For instance I think it's really stupid for some older players growing beards to appear, cool? Yes, one must try to gain attention! But that's my standard, not yours.

Many traditional standards are always attacked by others such as wearing your hat in the clubhouse, or wearing a traditional golf hat backwards or sideways, jogging shorts and tank tops on the course, loud music from the cart, or attached to the trolley. When traditions are broken down it can lead to the decline in the standards of the game. I've seen what occurs when dress codes are lowered, the quality of the facility follows. As mentioned in my previous post, I'm not against younger players changing clothing styles. What I'm against is anyone lowering the standards and traditions of the game. I play my golf at a military-municipal. Our course was one of the best in the area and top in the military. We lowered our standards, reduced our rates, and have virtually no dress codes or standards of conduct. The result is we now have a goat ranch where golfers have little respect for the game and no respect for other golfers. Cigarette butts litter tee boxes and green surrounds and you can see beer cans in all the wooded areas and especially around bridges. Course conditions, just bad. Yes I attribute this to reduction of standards and I do not blame the youth.

I believe who you are and what you are is a reflection of your standards, the question is; what's your's? I like the municipal course atmosphere and shy away from private courses. But as standards drop and conditions get worse, I will look for another location that maintains traditional standards. It's also my belief that other golfers feel the same way.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

This trend to me makes me think it will turn into more guys wearing jogging pants and sweats on the course to match the cuff look without buying $100 pants, I realize my opinion means little but this is another chip out of the class of the game. Say whatever you want but Fowler is more known for goofy clothes than golf, is that what he's after?

I think Fowler is known for having the greatest finish to the Players Championship in history. Also Btw also known for being 5th in the world :)

I disagree with you, if you ask most people what they know about Fowler it's going to be "isn't that the guy that wears..."

Actually, if you ask most people, they won't know who the hell he is.

As is the case with every one of these threads (and there are plenty of them)...there is a large amount of "GET OFF MY LAWN" in this thread. Just a heads up: if you currently wear pleated anything to play golf in, you aren't in the demographic that Nike is trying to cater to anyway. Producing the same old clothes every year doesn't move the needle. Nike has made a clear effort to keep their golf line targeted towards younger golfers and the current trends. If you spend any time around college campuses, you will see sneakers and joggers all over the place. You may not like it, but it isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so you can either keep making the same comments about it or just accept it for what it is :)

Agreed. I work at a college and I see kids wearing joggers all over campus. I don't understand why so many are offended by joggers on the course. Well, I did have to wait for a jogger to clear out as he was using the cart path for his workout. I guess not all joggers are welcomed on the course.

Couldn't stand the elastic cuffs, don't look comfortable to me. Are they not nothing more than sweat pants similar to what folks wear to the gym?

No one going to change how our younger players want to dress, can't happen and styles will change. The question is what dress codes are acceptable on the tour and at your course. For instance I think it's really stupid for some older players growing beards to appear, cool? Yes, one must try to gain attention! But that's my standard, not yours.

Many traditional standards are always attacked by others such as wearing your hat in the clubhouse, or wearing a traditional golf hat backwards or sideways, jogging shorts and tank tops on the course, loud music from the cart, or attached to the trolley. When traditions are broken down it can lead to the decline in the standards of the game. I've seen what occurs when dress codes are lowered, the quality of the facility follows. As mentioned in my previous post, I'm not against younger players changing clothing styles. What I'm against is anyone lowering the standards and traditions of the game. I play my golf at a military-municipal. Our course was one of the best in the area and top in the military. We lowered our standards, reduced our rates, and have virtually no dress codes or standards of conduct. The result is we now have a goat ranch where golfers have little respect for the game and no respect for other golfers. Cigarette butts litter tee boxes and green surrounds and you can see beer cans in all the wooded areas and especially around bridges. Course conditions, just bad. Yes I attribute this to reduction of standards and I do not blame the youth.

I believe who you are and what you are is a reflection of your standards, the question is; what's your's? I like the municipal course atmosphere and shy away from private courses. But as standards drop and conditions get worse, I will look for another location that maintains traditional standards. It's also my belief that other golfers feel the same way.

I would venture to say the decline in conditions, lowering the price of greens fees, and overall struggle of the golf course has absolutely nothing to do with lowering traditional standards of dress code and it has everything to do with the state of the economy in the area (in the golf industry) and the overall financial management of the club.

Millennials showing up with flat bills, athletic styled golf shoes, and even... GASP... joggers, have nothing to do with why your course is in the dumps.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

It's not about "Against the Norm " you Argued the reason for them is extreme comfort. The Counter to that is so are Golf pants.

What about sweat pants? They are comfy! Or some of those plaid pajama pants? So, so, so Comfy.

They are worn because they are comfortable. They get hate because they are against the norm. The idea is to be comfortable and stylish on the course. Payne Stewart wore knickers, he was loved by seemingly all. I am sure he liked them because they were stylish to him and comfortable. Go work on your game, I'll be right there next to you with my sweat pants on.

26 year old here (Not sure how age particularly matters). You know what is comfortable, being naked. We should all just stop wearing pants and play naked because we put comfort at the top of our priority list. Point being, no one cares about how comfortable you are. Wear some respectable pants. I think Rory's pants look bad on Rory as well as Ricky. I can only hope for my generation that those do not catch on. I would rather play naked...

Looks like normal pants today ... birdies the first four.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I'm surprised there isn't more uproar about his non-traditional collar. It's a blade collar and doesn't fold over like a traditional golf shirt collar. The joggers totally rankled the traditionalist's but the lack of collar on a golf course seems to go unnoticed. I fear some heads will explode when they realize Rory wore joggers and a shirt without a traditional collar.

Looks like normal pants today ... birdies the first four.

Deep down inside, I'm sure McIlroy felt like a right idiiot in that get up yesterday. No surprise that he is playing better today in more orthodox attire. Probably more comfortable as well LOL. The restricted blood flow from those elastic bottoms probably stopped his glutes from firing properly in that first round ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

A lot of these comments are borderline mysoginistic. So what if a man decides to wear something that is different. Automatically equating them to a woman is offensive.

I am surprised nobody has said their pants make them look gay. Probably saying that to your golfing buddies in real life I imagine.

They are pants. Get over it.

So you feel they make them look gay.........Interesting.

A lot of these comments are borderline mysoginistic. So what if a man decides to wear something that is different. Automatically equating them to a woman is offensive.

I am surprised nobody has said their pants make them look gay. Probably saying that to your golfing buddies in real life I imagine.

The differences in fashion for men and women are a fact. No one is saying that's the way it should be, just the way it is. So, I think it's more correct to interpret the comments to which you are referring as "that looks like something usually marketed to women", which is really an indirect criticism of the fashion industry's gender concepts. B'Dum-Ching!1

I don't particularly like the new stuff Rickie is wearing, but he's being paid a lot to wear it, so there's that. But if I was wearing those shoes (& I'm a gal who really loves her golf shoes) they would distract me, especially when putting. :taunt:

Not only is he being paid as a Puma endorser, but Fowler would probably be wearing that stuff off the course anyway, and he does.

He's a young fashionable guy.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

That is not what I am saying at all.

I find the hatred of tattoos, beards and different than traditional pants a bit perplexing. I guess it is easier to attack than to accept.

Generation Me, Me, Me.....

LMAO, s***, I was born in the wrong generation ;)

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I find the hatred of tattoos, beards and different than traditional pants a bit perplexing. I guess it is easier to attack than to accept.

Just pointing out that you brought up the gay issue. By the way....I have seen no hatred in this thread....You will fit in quite well on WRX though as many love to throw the hate word around.

Just pointing out that you brought up the gay issue. By the way....I have seen no hatred in this thread....You will fit in quite well on WRX though as many love to throw the hate word around.

There were several posters implying that the pants were effeminate. Saying that a man is dressing like a girl implies other things. Let's not be obtuse.

Trying to bring more hipsters into golf. If Rickie or Rory could grow a beard, I'm sure Nike and Puma would be encouraging it. I just hope they know which bathroom to use...

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade M1 w/ Fubuki 73x
3W: Taylormade M1 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 73x
Titleist 710 CB 4-6 KBS Tour x
Titleist 710 MB 7-PW KBs Tour x
Vokey Spin Mill 52* and 56*
Vokey SM4 60*
Carbon Ringo Long Neck

Handicap: +0.3

So true Wobs!!

First TC, welcome to the board, it's great to have ya :)

Regarding "hatred" for tats & beards, well, I started the beard thread and participated in the ink thread and the vast majority of members were fine with both and only a minority, granted they were strongly opinionated however they were in the vast minority.

Most were of the opinion of live and let live.

Regarding trow, while I am conservative in my views and what I wear, I have a young nephew who wears the Rickie trow and he looks great in em, they're just not for me at 56yo not do I believe that many of the middle aged guys would wear em however I think to label those that don't wear em or sport a beard(I do) or ink(I don't) as "haters" or havin a "hate" on is a grossly inaccurate stereotype of the board. One can voice an opposing opinion without going to the extreme emotion that "hate" invokes, though WTF, I still rock pleats and cuffs, lol.

Have a great season and enjoy the board :)

And FWIW, I do not equate effeminate with gay-

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

slippery slope of accusation there Hoss..... you can make the leap to anywhere if you're on your jumping to conclusions mat.... but wont make it true...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

slippery slope of accusation there Hoss..... you can make the leap to anywhere if you're on your jumping to conclusions mat.... but wont make it true...

He has a point though. Plenty of the comments go right up to the line of calling the pants or Rickie "gay", even to the point of saying the pants are girl pants. It is a leap to say that the people saying this probably have an issue with gay people, but it isn't much of one.

Generation Me, Me, Me.....

LMAO, s***, I was born in the wrong generation ;)

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

My Best,

RP

I bet we would agree that there are plenty of "me me me" folks in every generation. Millennials don't have that on lockdown.

amen to that..Boomers got a lot of "me" too...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock