Are you a lucky or unlucky golfer?

MtlJeff

I'm Unlucky.

ย 

Although I play with a guy though that is the luckiest golf player I've ever seen. Every time he hits it in the trees it pops out to center cut. Hit a cart path and bounces in the fairway. Hit a house and of course it will bounce back into play. Hell I've even seen him skip it off the water accidentally. It really pisses me off

• 2 weeks later...

I get ridiculously good bounces all the time. For example, last week, I hit a hard hook OB and it hits the trunk of the only tree standing and bounces back into the fairway. My playing partner hit the same shot. OB.

ย 

My best bounce was when I hooked a drive, it hits the side of a chimney on one of the houses which is pretty deep OB and bounces back into the middle of the fairway.

I'm going to say I'm slightly on the unlucky side of the scale

ย 

But there are days when it seems I get 4 or 5 really bad breaks in the same 18 hole round. Infuriating.

ย 

You know the drill, a shot that carried 1 yard farther would be perfect ... but you end up buried in the bunker face. You find your ball 1 foot into a red hazard but with no play

ย 

Or you hit into trees and end up hard against the trunk with no play but a lefty pitch out. The middle of the fairway deep divot lie. etc etc

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9
ย 

ย 

I like to think I'm fairly lucky. My buddy was very lucky yesterday. Hit a few into the bush that popped out into the fairway. It was legit as we saw them bounce back into the fairway..

Titleist - TSi3 8* - Ventus Black S6

Callaway - Apex UW 17* - HZRDUS Black Smoke

Taylormade - 2021 P790 4-AW - Project X LS

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

Evnroll - ER2b - Stability Tour Shaft

In golf, I'm what I refer to as "luck-neutral".... LOL

ย 

80% of my rounds seem like there is no luck involved whatsoever, good or bad. Ball goes where I hit it, good or bad.

ย 

The other 20% are "luck" rounds.... It's either all good or all bad, and they are generally happen in equal amounts.... To me anyway.

ย 

Some rounds are magic, I get all the bounces my way, ball rolls just out of a fairway divot, bad shots turn out well, balls bounce out of the woods and into the fairway and you can do no wrong.

ย 

The bad ones are really bad... Stripe a ball down the middle of the fairway, get down there and the ball has disappeared, hit 12/14 fairways with the driver and half are sitting in divots, hit a green collar sprinkler head and the ball bounces OB, hit a bunker and the ball imbeds in the lip... It goes on and on.

ย 

ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIMย 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3ย 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5ย 

ย 

The more time I have to practice and play, the luckier I seem to get... :yes:

ย 

(There just might be a connection there)

ย 

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

• 1 month later...

I have no luck I can hit a perfect drove and be in the first cut or hit a decent putt and horse shoe or just lip pit all day. IDK how many lip pits of mine don't go in but, my buddy on the other hand gets all the bounces and breaks. It sucks to watch cause all his lip out's go in. I don't get good bounces or good lies. Lol it's a pain sometimes but I play because I love it praying maybe I get that good break next time.

Driver-TM Sim 9 GD- Tour ADDI 6x

Fairway- Nike VR Pro 15- Fubuki Alpha 70x

Irons- Mizuno MP20 6-PW MMC-4,5- PJX LZ 6.5

Wedges- RTX4ย  50,56,60- DG s400ย 

Putter- Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 w/Hula Girl 2006 cover

This is a really interesting topic because I think it tells a lot about a players personality. Right now i'd tell you that I'm a lucky player but to be honest it's just a state of mind. Players are going to get good bounces and bad bounces when you hit a little white ball 70-100 times in a round and i'd bet if you totaled up your lifetime average you wouldn't be leaning heavily in either direction. This thread tells me more about whether a player can move on from hitting bad shots or not. i'd venture to guess that a lot of you guys that consider yourselves unlucky really dwell on the bad shots you hit and can quickly let it derail a good round. Likewise, posters that say they're lucky can move on from bad shots(bounces) and keep a round going.

ย 

But anyway, I say I'm a lucky golfer. Sure, I hit both good and bad shots in a round but I chose to focus on the good ones and forget the bad ones and it makes me a confident player. I use to think I got the worst bounces out there but in reality i was just limiting my thinking to every bad shot I hit instead of building confidence by thinking of all the good shots I hit.

ย 

It's like Harvey Dent says in The Dark Knight. "You make your own luck"

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex ย  MB 5-PW $-Taperย 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

ย 

Unlucky. True story: Playing in our local 'Vancouver Open'. Opening hole is a par 5. I can get nervy on the first tee, especially in a tournament and my arms get quick and I pull hook a lot of my first shots. But on the day I managed to hit a decent one that landed on the fairway and just rolled into the left rough.

ย 

Walked up to where my ball was feeling happy and a bit relieved that I'd gotten past that hurdle chatting with my fellow competitors.

ย 

No ball. Anywhere. We searched. And searched. Gone. Back to the tee. Pull hook it. Took a 9 on the hole. You can imagine how it went from there.

ย 

Lots of other things like this in my tournament golf. Ball in the bunker? Somehow finds a rake mark that keeps it hanging on an impossible downhill lie. Tee shot to middle of fairway. In the only massive unfixed divot there. Perfect approach to a par 5. Sorry, you didn't account for that sprinkler head there and can now watch your ball bounce 30 yards over the green into an impossible lie.

ย 

I don't usually complain, but you did ask the question so I'm answering it. :)

ย 

WhiZ

Now i know on the surface this is a ridiculous question. Because chance applies to everyone the same and all of that....a ball going into the woods doesn't know who hit it.

ย 

Yet some players i know openly talk about how "lucky" they are, and man sometimes i play with these guys and i agree. They hit into the woods and the ball bounces back out, they hole a chip every round etc...

ย 

My playing partners always call me an unlucky golfer. My former playing partners called me an unlucky golfer. One of them still calls any bad break a "Jeff bounce". If there's a tree branch i will hit it, if there's a lip on a bunker i will hit it and ricochet against a lip, i probably have 2-3 lip-outs per round putting (my current group calls this "the jeff putt"). Yesterday in my round i missed 3 fairways in a row on reasonably open holes and ended up completely behind a tree (like within a foot of it) all 3 times

ย 

I think i might be an unlucky golfer. WHich means someone out there is stealing my mojo!!!!! (since everything evens out in the end)

ย 

So what are you?

ย 

I am the worlds most unlucky golfer. Needless to say, I get the odd bit of good luck, but most of the time 's really bad. Today for example, on the 5th playing a par 3, pond to the right, and a **** to the left. Played a shot pin high, albeit the ball landed 10 feet from the ****. It hit a rock, bounced viciously to left, and landed in the ****. To be honest, most things in life are the same for me.

I always seem to get lucky bounces when I play. Balls kick back into the fairway, balls that land either left or right of my target have kicked sideways onto the green. My fiancรฉ isn't so lucky. She will manage to hit every branch or anything else in her line. If there is a group anywhere near us, her ball always seems to move in their general direction. She's even made a few long putts that's popped straight back out. Reminded me of that Q School guy who's putt did the exact same thing. Something with the hole not being cut in straight or something, IDK. But I do agree that the better you play the luckier you get. Or maybe I'm just the worlds luckiest golfer.

I'm a bit of both and the weird thing is it is usually the opposite of the way I'm playing.

ย 

Example at Bandon last week I'm playing well and happy with my game. Hit a drive that I hit pretty well roles through the fairway and into a bunker, now it just doesn't go into a bunker, it rolls onto a lip that is about 1 ft deep under the overhanging lip of the bunker.

ย 

Seems when i play like garbage the ball bounces out. Just the breaks i guess.

I'm in the same camp as a few guys in this thread in that sometimes the luck is there and sometimes it isn't - sometimes I get away with the overcooked draw and it bounces back into the fairway, sometimes it's in the bunker/schmeg/trees...sometimes the slightly pushed/pulled putt lips in, sometimes it burns the edge/lips out/does a full 180 and comes back to stare at me...I did have one 5 footer hit a tiny pebble halfway to the hole and lip right out back at me last round, but I just took it as I should have moved the pebble not that I was especially unlucky haha :P

ย 

I also think that as a few people have said - the better you're playing, the more lucky you are (and vice-versa) I think that can be a state of mind thing a lot of the time too, but each to their own :)

ย 

And yes, I definitely feel lucky any time I'm on the course, so there's that too!

Luckiest son of a b**** to ever plant a tee, both on and off the course...

ย 

ย 

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...............Par 3 185, tree sits to the right side of the green about 15 yds right of the green. Hit my tee shot, push it into the tree and the tree spits it out onto the green. Ball rolls and hits the pin and stops about 6 inches from the hole. Ball should have gone in.......see, nothing but bad luck!........ :scare2:

I was told as a 15yo by my position coach(LB), who would be with me through HS graduation and has been a Mentor to me to this day that luck was nothing more than the intersection point of preparation and performamance...

ย 

I believe Him~

ย 

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

On the lucky side.

ย 

I believe putting skills have a lot to do with it. A good putter can hole putts from all over to make a score. If you stiff shots, you still have to make the putt for bird or you may as well have been 30'. Same for long putts to save par or whatever. It would be difficult to be considered lucky if you are a poor putter IMO.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8ย 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5