Play the right tees guys

Yesterday, I played Cutter Creek in E. NC (nice course!) and it made me realize how many guys are playing the wrong tees - when they should be playing forward by atleast one tee, This course had many tee boxes for this reason. It looks like as an after thought, they added red tees - for even more choices. When the reds used to be beige. There are plenty of tee choices at most courses. Having played with my regular partners for many years, playing the same white tees. Not because I would have been embarrassed to move up, I just never thought about teeing forward. I always thought average men play white and better golfers play blue. Now, that I teeing it forward, I noticed how many people ahead of me were just getting beat up from the longer tee boxes, not having fun at all and for no good reason. And, I was having a great time from the green tees (no golds there). Just a thought from a senior golfer, especially to the younger golfers. Be brave to bring this up to your golfing buddies. You might even enjoy your day the next time out!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good advice that often falls on deaf ears.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Tanner,

Nice thoughts, but I am afraid the beat of the drum will only resonate with a certain few, either those seasoned seniors, like ourselves, for whom golf can now be seen as a game to be played and enjoyed, or those who are social golfers.

The dyed in the wool, hardcore, full of testosterone's vim and vigor golfing male, will continue to puff out his chest and proceed to be beaten up by the game they claim so desperately to love.

The glory and the agony of youth.

This past winter, My golfing partners and I teed it up from what are euphemistically called the "senior" tees. The temperature was colder, we were stiffer and the ball flew a shorter distance. What I discovered is that, at age 58 and fairly fit, the white tees (about 6300 yards at my home course) were a bit too long for me and the senior tees just a bit too short (about 5500). I am the youngest in my group and hit my driver about 210 to 220. I did learn that teeing it forward allowed me to hit mid to short irons into greens that I might otherwise have to hit hybrids or longer clubs. Hitting from the forward tees was more enjoyable. As I calculate the amount of time I play golf, it may be wiser to play it forward for more enjoyment than playing it back for more frustration. In any event, I think Tanner makes an excellent point worth every golfer's consideration.

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

Two other thoughts on playing it forward:

1. If you play a set of tees that are appropriate to how far you hit the ball, you actually interact MORE with the design of the golf course. Fairway bunkers that are not in play when you are too far back become risk-reward decisions when you move up. The same becomes true of going for the green on par 5's, and so on. I'm 63 and, and playing from much over 6300 is just boring; no decisions, no strategy, etc.

2. If your course has a large gap between the available tees, it is a very easy matter to get you local section of the state golf association to come out and do a course rating and a slope for a combination course. We just did this at my club; the blue tees are 6300, then the whites drop all the way to 5600. We have added a blue-white course that plays at 6000, and scores can now be entered in GHIN. Very simple to do if you can get your club's management to agree to it.

1. If you play a set of tees that are appropriate to how far you hit the ball, you actually interact MORE with the design of the golf course. Fairway bunkers that are not in play when you are too far back become risk-reward decisions when you move up. The same becomes true of going for the green on par 5's, and so on. I'm 63 and, and playing from much over 6300 is just boring; no decisions, no strategy, etc.

2. If your course has a large gap between the available tees, it is a very easy matter to get you local section of the state golf association to come out and do a course rating and a slope for a combination course. We just did this at my club; the blue tees are 6300, then the whites drop all the way to 5600. We have added a blue-white course that plays at 6000, and scores can now be entered in GHIN. Very simple to do if you can get your club's management to agree to it.

One problem with number 1. Most older courses are not playing as designed even from the tips, because the new equipment has overtaken the course design.

I have no problem with anyone playing any tee they want as long as they keep up. If they've paid their money, play where they want. There's also nothing wrong with playing mixed tees in a group.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

One problem with number 1. Most older courses are not playing as designed even from the tips, because the new equipment has overtaken the course design.

Maybe courses should designate a chart on the #1 tee box showing what driver yardage each tee set is designed for. IE my home course, there's really isn't any forced carries to get to the fairway. We do have a few ditches that if you top the ball you could get wet. Another hole that from the blues your looking at a 220 carry to get over the pond leaving a sub 100 yard approach short or you could lay up short in the fairway with a 170 yard or more approach or bail out way left into the rough on the hole over. The next set of tees is about 5 yard difference at most for most of the course except the par threes. From the whites or blues a 230 carry will clear you of all bunkers and mounds on the course except for maybe the longish 18th.

Red ladies or black senior tees cut about 50 yards off. The golds(tips) bring a lot of trouble back into play off the tee but eliminate some chances of going through the fairway for the 270-300 yard guys on some of our shorter holes where the ditches end the fairways .

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

While this may be true for pros, high school and college golfers, and some low handicappers, I don't think it's true for the vast majority of the golf world. Most people simply don't have the swing speed and ability to deliver the club head squarely to hit the ball anywhere near the distances are possible and that we see on TV, and for them, newer equipment is MUCH more about forgiveness. There is no equipment out there that will translate a 95 mph swing speed into a 300 yd drive. Most older courses are at least 6500 yds., and there are very few players, even good ones, that overwhelm a golf course even at that yardage.

There should be more tee options available. When I started playing when I was around 12 I played the whites and it was a struggle The only choices then were RED, WHITE and BLUE. Now there are commonly 4 tees, with GOLD. Being a teenager, i would never play the ladies tees I am sure alot would not. Funny thing. In my work league there was a female attorney who insisted on playing the Mens white tees. She was not that long or good but I never minded as it was an easy 4 points.. That was during the heavy womens lib days when you werent allowed to open doors for women.

While this may be true for pros, high school and college golfers, and some low handicappers, I don't think it's true for the vast majority of the golf world. Most people simply don't have the swing speed and ability to deliver the club head squarely to hit the ball anywhere near the distances are possible and that we see on TV, and for them, newer equipment is MUCH more about forgiveness. There is no equipment out there that will translate a 95 mph swing speed into a 300 yd drive. Most older courses are at least 6500 yds., and there are very few players, even good ones, that overwhelm a golf course even at that yardage.

I will agree to disagree on much of your post........None of the courses in my area play like they did 30 years ago for the majority of single digit cappers.....It's not speculation, it's simply a fact.

There is no motivation for a hacker to tee it forward. First, they will spray the ball just the same, it's not like they will suddenly put the driver away. Second, no matter the approach distance that ball is not getting on the green. Third chipping and putting will be dreadful. I play the muni courses and see them all the time and I have witnessed those that tee it forward with the same issues as those that don't.

Maybe ban drinking on the golf course to speed them up. They will go faster to get to the clubhouse for that drink!

I don't agree with the tee it forward crowd in many cases. To me, it isn't really handicap based but how far you hit off the tee. I look at the course length to give me a gauge. I will play whatever tees get me closest to 7000 yds without going over. I also look at each individual hole to see if if there will be anything unreasonable (par 3s over 230, par 4s at 480+, par 5s at 600) then make the call. The problem is all courses aren't created equally. Some courses I wouldn't even consider playing from the tips. But on many courses I do. It just depends on the course.

It's all how far you hit your clubs. If your directional control sucks, does playing forward really help that massive slice/push/hook/pull?

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

Mm heres an idea. Have non par 3 holes, have an extra set of tee boxes to make the course a par 3 course for beginners until they competent enough to play on the big boy part of course, offer discounted rate for the par 3 tees.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Yesterday, I played Cutter Creek in E. NC (nice course!) and it made me realize how many guys are playing the wrong tees - when they should be playing forward by atleast one tee, This course had many tee boxes for this reason. It looks like as an after thought, they added red tees - for even more choices. When the reds used to be beige. There are plenty of tee choices at most courses. Having played with my regular partners for many years, playing the same white tees. Not because I would have been embarrassed to move up, I just never thought about teeing forward. I always thought average men play white and better golfers play blue. Now, that I teeing it forward, I noticed how many people ahead of me were just getting beat up from the longer tee boxes, not having fun at all and for no good reason. And, I was having a great time from the green tees (no golds there). Just a thought from a senior golfer, especially to the younger golfers. Be brave to bring this up to your golfing buddies. You might even enjoy your day the next time out!

Sidebar to the thread ;)

Glad to see you made it out there and enjoyed yourself.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I'm fairly new to golf. Been playing a little under a year. Last week went and played 9 holes and decided to play from the senior tees just to make it easier. And used only my 5 wood off the tee. I shot a 35 (played best of 2 balls). I REALLY enjoyed that day. I think i'm gonna play those tees exclusively from now on. :-)

Though I believe golfers need to pick the right tees for ability, its hard to tell others when they have chosen poorly. I just watch and cringe. It comes down to a persons self-judgment and whether or not they feel entitled. If both those are bad, its going to be a long round and ugly to watch.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I have no problem with anyone playing any tee they want as long as they keep up. If they've paid their money, play where they want. There's also nothing wrong with playing mixed tees in a group.

I agree with this, but therein lies the problem. The majority of people playing from the tips don't (or can't) keep up. They are still hacking it around, just from much further back. An extra shot or two doesn't sound like much, but over 18 holes, it adds up, and so does the time spent playing those extra shots.

The only way to get people to change is to start painting the back tee markers pink and the front tee markers black.

I agree with this, but therein lies the problem. The majority of people playing from the tips don't (or can't) keep up. They are still hacking it around, just from much further back. An extra shot or two doesn't sound like much, but over 18 holes, it adds up, and so does the time spent playing those extra shots.

I have rarely seen folks playing the tips that belong 2 or 3 tees up - but it happens and that's what rangers are supposedly for.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Sidebar to the thread ;)

Glad to see you made it out there and enjoyed yourself.

I did Golfrnut - thank you. The course was incredible. As a higher capper, I'll know the next time to not always cross the water going for the green. In many cases, it would have been a good idea to bale out away from the water and then have an easy chip. They did have a bunch of different tee box choices, which was great. Even from that perspective it was well designed. The shorter tee boxes also meant less trouble.