2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Play the right tees guys

A few years back I tried to get a buddy of mine to move up. I asked why he would rather shoot 99 from the tips and gave no real answer. I am a big fan of playing from the tees that fit my game. Last year, I was with the same buddy and we played a tough course from the whites, middle tees for the guys. Him, myself and another friend all shot horrendous rounds. Went back there a couple weeks later and moved up one set and the scores all around went down and the number of smiles and laughs went up.

I can only speak for myself, but I play to enjoy myself, not to punish myself.

I never understood this "tees that fit my game business......What does fit your game mean......Is there a score that everyone is supposed to shoot.....I always thought that if four guys teed it up, the guy who played the worse shot the worse score and visa versa........This kind of reminds me of kids on campus looking for a safe space.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should just pull up the bumper rails. He could go halfway up the lane but with all that oil on the lanes, he'd probably fall and bust his kneecap with the ball ( seen that happen before).

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

A lot of people seem to know how others enjoy or should enjoy a round or how they define fun. They seem to be the same people who tell you what clubs to play or what you should wear.

Play whatever tees you want that are fun or a challenge for you. Heck start at the 150-yard marker if that is how you enjoy the game. Just keep pace with the group in front of you, be respectful of the course and others and don't get PO'd if every once in a while our group is going to test ourselves from the back tees. Don't worry, we'll finish in under 4 hours if the group in front of us stays on pace.

And while I might hit a lot of hybrids into greens, know that's as fun to me as hitting a wedge and there is an equal chance that it will be a good shot based on my ugly swing.

Is this an American thing? All the courses I play in england tend to have 3 sets of tees, red,yellow and white. Red are for women only, yellow are for men and whites can only be played in a club competition by men.

When I visit a course I have to play off the yellow. If I started playing whatever tees I fancied the members would have kittens. Some championship courses do have blue tees but you can't play them except in special competitions.

Can you guys play whatever tees you feel like?

A few years back I tried to get a buddy of mine to move up. I asked why he would rather shoot 99 from the tips and gave no real answer. I am a big fan of playing from the tees that fit my game. Last year, I was with the same buddy and we played a tough course from the whites, middle tees for the guys. Him, myself and another friend all shot horrendous rounds. Went back there a couple weeks later and moved up one set and the scores all around went down and the number of smiles and laughs went up.

I never understood this "tees that fit my game business......What does fit your game mean......Is there a score that everyone is supposed to shoot.....I always thought that if four guys teed it up, the guy who played the worse shot the worse score and visa versa........This kind of reminds me of kids on campus looking for a safe space.

Exactly. There seems to be a fixation on "par". Players seem to have a different mindset for a 480 yard par 5 than a 480 yard par 4. Maybe people would enjoy the back tees more if they adjusted par upward.

Two other thoughts on playing it forward:

1. If you play a set of tees that are appropriate to how far you hit the ball, you actually interact MORE with the design of the golf course. Fairway bunkers that are not in play when you are too far back become risk-reward decisions when you move up. The same becomes true of going for the green on par 5's, and so on. I'm 63 and, and playing from much over 6300 is just boring; no decisions, no strategy, etc.

2. If your course has a large gap between the available tees, it is a very easy matter to get you local section of the state golf association to come out and do a course rating and a slope for a combination course. We just did this at my club; the blue tees are 6300, then the whites drop all the way to 5600. We have added a blue-white course that plays at 6000, and scores can now be entered in GHIN. Very simple to do if you can get your club's management to agree to it.

I see your point, but if you can driver 280 but it's wild left and right and you're playing one of these gappy tight courses, you really should swallow your pride and move it forward.

Exactly. There seems to be a fixation on "par". Players seem to have a different mindset for a 480 yard par 5 than a 480 yard par 4. Maybe people would enjoy the back tees more if they adjusted par upward.

By this logic, there should only be one set of tees. Women, seniors, kids, beginners...doesn't matter. Get yourself back there to 7000+ yds. and don't worry about par. I know you aren't really advocating that. Are you?

I think that the issue isn't necessarily what you shoot; it's having some variety in the type of shot you face. If a player has to hit a fairway wood or a hybrid/long iron for their second shot on every par 4, then the game just isn't much fun or very interesting, regardless of what they shoot.

In 2008, I played 36 holes at Kinderlou Forest in Valdosta, GA. Great golf course that has hosted a Web.com event many times, and from the tips, measures 7800 yds. I was by myself for the second 18, and decided I'd play it all the way back just to see what it was like; I'd guess that I was playing a 7500 yd. course. Well, I lasted 4 holes that way. I couldn't even reach the fairway on par 4s and 5s, much less the doglegs or architectural features like fairway bunkers. It wasn't that I was scoring badly; it just wasn't any fun. No strategy, no decisions, nothing. That isn't a good way to play golf, and isn't the way the course was designed.

I'll say it again; if you want to "play the entire course" find a set of tees that bring all of the features that the architect designed into play at the proper point. Learn to appreciate the design, and get ego out of the way.

Two other thoughts on playing it forward:

1. If you play a set of tees that are appropriate to how far you hit the ball, you actually interact MORE with the design of the golf course. Fairway bunkers that are not in play when you are too far back become risk-reward decisions when you move up. The same becomes true of going for the green on par 5's, and so on. I'm 63 and, and playing from much over 6300 is just boring; no decisions, no strategy, etc.

2. If your course has a large gap between the available tees, it is a very easy matter to get you local section of the state golf association to come out and do a course rating and a slope for a combination course. We just did this at my club; the blue tees are 6300, then the whites drop all the way to 5600. We have added a blue-white course that plays at 6000, and scores can now be entered in GHIN. Very simple to do if you can get your club's management to agree to it.

I see your point, but if you can driver 280 but it's wild left and right and you're playing one of these gappy tight courses, you really should swallow your pride and move it forward.

There are a few guys like that, but not many. The same set of abilities that allow a VERY small subset of all golfers to drive the ball 280 allow those same players to typically drive it relatively straight as well; Mark Broadie's research on that is very clear.

That said, if a player can't keep the ball in play, then that is a separate issue from the question of what tees he should play.

By this logic, there should only be one set of tees. Women, seniors, kids, beginners...doesn't matter. Get yourself back there to 7000+ yds. and don't worry about par. I know you aren't really advocating that. Are you?

I think that the issue isn't necessarily what you shoot; it's having some variety in the type of shot you face. If a player has to hit a fairway wood or a hybrid/long iron for their second shot on every par 4, then the game just isn't much fun or very interesting, regardless of what they shoot.

In 2008, I played 36 holes at Kinderlou Forest in Valdosta, GA. Great golf course that has hosted a Web.com event many times, and from the tips, measures 7800 yds. I was by myself for the second 18, and decided I'd play it all the way back just to see what it was like; I'd guess that I was playing a 7500 yd. course. Well, I lasted 4 holes that way. I couldn't even reach the fairway on par 4s and 5s, much less the doglegs or architectural features like fairway bunkers. It wasn't that I was scoring badly; it just wasn't any fun. No strategy, no decisions, nothing. That isn't a good way to play golf, and isn't the way the course was designed.

I'll say it again; if you want to "play the entire course" find a set of tees that bring all of the features that the architect designed into play at the proper point. Learn to appreciate the design, and get ego out of the way.

So when the course was too long and you moved up, you probably did the right thing, but telling others what tees they should play is the wrong thing.

If you are truly confused after reading the first two pages of this thread then I have neither the time nor the ambition to clear this up for you.

Believe me, nothing about this subject could be cleared up by you or any two pages of the half million pages of this that have been discussed on this forum. Maybe when asked a simple question, you could just give a simple answer instead of replying with a snide remark.......I am sure you would be very well suited to give a simple answer.

So when the course was too long and you moved up, you probably did the right thing, but telling others what tees they should play is the wrong thing.

I take your point, and on an empty golf course (such as the one I was playing at Kinderlou that day) I agree. But on a golf course where there are others playing with you and behind you, insisting on playing a set of tees that take you too long to play is MUCH more "the wrong thing". And make no mistake about it; it takes longer to play more shots.

But none of that is the point of the discussion anyway, is it? We're not talking about whether or not tee selection should be democratic or dictatorial. We're talking about the interaction between the abilities of the golfer and the golf course he or she chooses to play. The play it forward "movement" is about getting golfers to understand that not only is there nothing wrong with moving up to a set of tees more in line with their abilities, but that by doing so they will enjoy the game more and play the golf course more as it was designed.

To use an extreme example, if you were fortunate enough to play Augusta National, would you like to play #15 from a distance that gave you a decision to make on your second shot, or would you rather play it from a distance that offered you ONLY the option of laying up on your second shot? MacKenzie and Jones intended for that hole to be a risk-reward hole, and it may be the best in the world in that regard. That second shot is one of the most thrilling in golf, and the decision one of the most agonizing, too. THAT, at least in my opinion, is "playing the whole golf course" far, far more than playing from the back tees. (It's important to note here that ANGC wouldn't let you play the tournament tees anyway; you could ONLY play the members tees. ANGC is many things, but it is NOT a democracy.)

Tanner,

Nice thoughts, but I am afraid the beat of the drum will only resonate with a certain few, either those seasoned seniors, like ourselves, for whom golf can now be seen as a game to be played and enjoyed, or those who are social golfers.

The dyed in the wool, hardcore, full of testosterone's vim and vigor golfing male, will continue to puff out his chest and proceed to be beaten up by the game they claim so desperately to love.

The glory and the agony of youth.

Thanks, oldschoolrocker. Hopefully, some of our experiences can help the younger crowd. My son is 20 and at first he was afraid to join me on the

senior tees, now he is afraid to get off of them!

Great course!

It was.....but, very far away from civilization!

What? Snow Hill has a Bojangles. What else do you need before teeing off. :)

Why is it more interesting for someone to hit a 200 yard drive and have 125 into a 325 hole than for a person to hit a 200 yard drive, a 170 yard second and a 100 yard third into a 470 yard hole? I would think that you would face far more variety playing it back. The acceptance that what would be a par 4 for Jason Day is a par 5 for your game goes a long way towards enjoying a round.

Sometimes, as you so aptly pointed out, the course design just doesn't allow for a weaker player to play back tees. Forced carries are a big factor.

Tees should be chosen based on how you derive your enjoyment from a round of golf. One person's "getting beat up" is another person's challenge. Of course, playing slow should not result from a need for a challenge.

A lot of golfers apparently like to be "challenged".

Personally, I think it has to do with ego. I have been an active promoter of teeing it forward on this board, and elsewhere for a long time. The majority of people I know who do tee it forward often remark that they should have done it sooner, as they found their rounds much more enjoyable.

I played a round a few weeks ago and watched a group tee it from the tips. A large pond was in front of those tees. All four put their tees shots in the water. Re-teeing they did the same thing. Losing two balls on the first tee and carding at least a quad, must have been a very enjoyable way to start the round.

You are imposing your enjoyment qualifications on other people. Making a course easier to play is not synonymous with making it more enjoyable. Some people get enjoyment out of jogging at the beach while others find enjoyment in doing a marathon.

Yep. That's why I don't critize choices of others. Teeing it forward is a choice, that's all; and assuming how others feel when faced with struggles is a receipe for being wrong. I don't look at life or the way I tackle sports as right for others. We're all the same when we get up in the morning, but after the pants go on, its what we do with the rest of the day that makes us different. People that set high standards for themselves tend not to concern themselves with what others do. Reason why pace of play or tee it forward will never be served up and swallowed by all... but to only a few that have ongoing issues thinking their way is best.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Yesterday, I played Cutter Creek in E. NC (nice course!) and it made me realize how many guys are playing the wrong tees - when they should be playing forward by atleast one tee, This course had many tee boxes for this reason. It looks like as an after thought, they added red tees - for even more choices. When the reds used to be beige. There are plenty of tee choices at most courses. Having played with my regular partners for many years, playing the same white tees. Not because I would have been embarrassed to move up, I just never thought about teeing forward. I always thought average men play white and better golfers play blue. Now, that I teeing it forward, I noticed how many people ahead of me were just getting beat up from the longer tee boxes, not having fun at all and for no good reason. And, I was having a great time from the green tees (no golds there). Just a thought from a senior golfer, especially to the younger golfers. Be brave to bring this up to your golfing buddies. You might even enjoy your day the next time out!

I played this exact course from the wrong tees one time. I went with a guy who was practicing for a tournament. From the tips it was way past my ability.

Great course but not from back there for me.

I have no problem with anyone playing any tee they want as long as they keep up. If they've paid their money, play where they want. There's also nothing wrong with playing mixed tees in a group.

I agree to a certain extent. I played in a group where a player in our foursome could not even make it over the hazards on most of his drives at a certain golf course laid out into the mountains. Kinda sad to see since I could tell he was trying his best. I agree with certain posts where distance should play a factor into where you tee off. Believe me when I say just because you hit it long, not an automatic that you will drive the green . Most course designers have that in mind. Often when I am teeing it forward, I find my self taking shorter clubs for better positioning. All about the short game and putting anyways.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Tanner,

Nice thoughts, but I am afraid the beat of the drum will only resonate with a certain few, either those seasoned seniors, like ourselves, for whom golf can now be seen as a game to be played and enjoyed, or those who are social golfers.

The dyed in the wool, hardcore, full of testosterone's vim and vigor golfing male, will continue to puff out his chest and proceed to be beaten up by the game they claim so desperately to love.

Thanks, oldschoolrocker. Hopefully, some of our experiences can help the younger crowd. My son is 20 and at first he was afraid to join me on the

Great course!

Funny story about that. We had a guy come here that had never heard of Bojangles, and thought it was actually like a Taco Bell. He actually tried to pronounce it Bohangleise the first time he ever spoke of the place.

In regards to being "remote", it is, but it was originally designed to be one of those areas that would draw in huge amounts of residential houses and become it's own thing. Wouldn't doubt if they had originally planned for it to become a private course after a while. It also got developed right in the middle of crazy bad economic times...so it never took off. We have a few golf courses around here that are just like it.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

WAY too many golfers simply look at raw yardage, rather than considering the slope of the course.

For most golfers slope is a much more accurate reflection of how hard the course is going to be (based on a bogey golfer) than rating. And much more accurate than yardage. You can make a 6,100 yard course a lot harder than a 6,600 yard course if it requires tight driving, small approach areas, risk/reward and target golf.

It doesn't matter how many tee boxes a course has because a large percentage of golfers will just say 'play one up from the tips'. Or say they like to play a course around X yardarge, with no regard to how difficult it may be.

The male ego is predictable as the sun coming up.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I have no problem with anyone playing any tee they want as long as they keep up. If they've paid their money, play where they want. There's also nothing wrong with playing mixed tees in a group.

I agree to a certain extent. I played in a group where a player in our foursome could not even make it over the hazards on most of his drives at a certain golf course laid out into the mountains. Kinda sad to see since I could tell he was trying his best. I agree with certain posts where distance should play a factor into where you tee off. Believe me when I say just because you hit it long, not an automatic that you will drive the green . Most course designers have that in mind. Often when I am teeing it forward, I find my self taking shorter clubs for better positioning. All about the short game and putting anyways.

Mixed tees ... I played in a regular group of 12-16 in Orlando for years. Some of us from the tips, some one up, and a couple of 65+ friends from the whites. Carts were always arranged by tees played. Someone ran the game, money changed hands, and we always got round in less than 4 and 1/2.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I am about a 12 handicap. Mid 40's. Don't hit it real long(I can but lose control). So, I hit drive 220 to 230. Occasionally the 250 or more, but not real often now.

I have determined the ideal yardage for me is about 6250 yards or so. When I get out to 6600 it starts to become harder.

I play several times a year with a group of seniors(over 60 or more) and honestly, I usually just go play the senior tees with them unless there is some guys my age in the group. Doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it is no big deal and we enjoy it.

Is this an American thing? All the courses I play in england tend to have 3 sets of tees, red,yellow and white. Red are for women only, yellow are for men and whites can only be played in a club competition by men.

When I visit a course I have to play off the yellow. If I started playing whatever tees I fancied the members would have kittens. Some championship courses do have blue tees but you can't play them except in special competitions.

More or less. You may have 3 on a short old-school course, typically in my experience 4/5, but up to maybe 6 or 7 on a resort course and/or one that has special youth tees.

A single tee box with a single set of medal tees on it (unless there is a comp and they put the other set of markers out) would have many seemingly apoplectic if you read through this thread.

That said, in my experience and I am sure in loads of others, when on a golf course with fellow humans it is almost never a concern.

99% (because I can only think of 2 occurrences in the last 300+ rounds played) of the time sensible people choose tees they will enjoy the most, regardless of where they sit between the shortest and longest tees for the day.

People will also readily play different tee boxes in the same group (outside of competition) if one doesn't suit them.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Why is it more interesting for someone to hit a 200 yard drive and have 125 into a 325 hole than for a person to hit a 200 yard drive, a 170 yard second and a 100 yard third into a 470 yard hole? I would think that you would face far more variety playing it back. The acceptance that what would be a par 4 for Jason Day is a par 5 for your game goes a long way towards enjoying a round.

Sometimes, as you so aptly pointed out, the course design just doesn't allow for a weaker player to play back tees. Forced carries are a big factor.

There is NO difference in interest between the two situations you pose. The lack of interest develops, IMO, the second scenario is repeated 14 times; when the golfer who drives it 200 can't reach, much less carry, any of the fairway bunkers, doesn't have any risk-reward decisions to make on par 5's, and doesn't have to decide what to do on doglegs. There are other examples, but those are obviously length related. And it may not have much to do with what the player ultimately shoots, btw.

Not playing the course the way it was designed is simply not very interesting IF you love golf courses and the strategy involved in the design. And btw, it's no more interesting for the guy who drives it 300 yds to play from tees that are too short for him; that also takes the design of the course out of play.

IMO most men play the wrong tees at the local muni here. I watch them off the first tee and it's pathetic why are they trying blue?

There should be rules requiring a certain handicap before going to certain tees. It would speed up play. I never ever play anywhere during peak times because pace of play is a joke and a lot of it I am sure is because of poor tee choice.

Golf should be played more quickly. They should make more tee boxes available at shorter length too for high cappers.

The whole problem would be solved by making a certain handicap a requirement for certain tees.

See ball hit ball
KISS

In my opinion, your game should be looked at as a whole. I think more than just driving should be considered. Forced carries in my mind play a big role in the decision.

Now I am not going to tell someone I just met and got paired up with for the first time what they should or should not do. But when it comes to a friend that I have golfed with for 15 years I feel comfortable having the discussion with him about it. In the end, it is everyone's personal decision to make. But if I know you, we are friends and golfing together and you are trying something beyond your ability and stinking up the joint and the rest of the group is waiting for you, something will be said.

Too many times, I've been behind a group that thought they were all that and played the tips. What's the first thing that happens? They swing out of their shoes trying to bomb it and launch it so far out of bounds an Indian tracker couldn't find it. So now it's time to reload and hit another one or two. Does everyone fit into this, obviously not. And if they don't fit into then they are not causing problems for others.

Contrary to the populor belief here on golfwrx, not everyone carries it 300. Not everyone has a 3 index. And in the real world where I live, I have never been behind a group playing the tips who should not have been there, play at the pace of the group in front. I have seen people who could do it. It is quite simple to see the difference in skills. I don't think it's a huge problem, an epidemic or anything. But there are times.

We have a ton of tees. Sometimes 5 sets. Keeps things interesting.

Tanner,

Great course!

lol, there is a Bojangles and a Walmart every two miles from Snow Hill to Smithfield.

Just going to post to post,

Tough discussion, Never going to be answered because really it up to the player to know what tee's fit them.

Had a Crazy discussion with my normal group. 1 guy refuses to play blue tees at a specific course. The Blue Tees are like White tees at many other course.

His statement is he wants to play like pros do, Driver and mid to low iron or even wedge, since my group is getting older many of times they go Driver, 3wood, or Driver and Hybrid hardly do they ever go in a green with an Iron anymore. While I agree with this.... my other playing partner (a little unique) but his honest golf? would benefit him the other way.

He cannot hit an Iron to save his life, but can hit the snot out of his 6-4 hybrids, 5 wood and 3 wood. I get my @!@##$ handed to me by him with his hybrids. It fits him well if he can approach with his hybrid so he would rather play further back.... weird I know... but he plays better?

So while we "Should" tee it forward based on distance.... Distance doesnt measure score.... putts do.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"