2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Play the right tees guys

Let's say you have no handicap and you play on course. You should play par fours averaging 250 yards in length. There needs to be more tee boxes and you should have to qualify to move back. The game needs to be modernized somehow. Make it a chip and putt for golfers who are not serious.

Pace of play is why I don't play more.

My tee box idea might seem weird I'll call it tee it WAY forward. Golf is too tough for most people so let's bring people in by giving them a chance to drive the green every par four. I think casual golfers could care less anyways and they would play more because it would be more fun for them.

Side note that i dont think has been brought up.... Emulation. What do I mean? As a man, (Sorry ladies), With a ridiculous amount of EGO..... We want to do what we see on TV...... So by playing further up Tees, or by paying a Par 3 course we do not get to do what we see on TV. Driver the Ball 300 yards and hits monster Wedges that spin back 10 ft.

The question at hand is what is the problem here.

1) Pace of Play

2) Enjoyment of the Game

In this specific Order.

Pace of play, if you are a new golfer and want to play, PLAY, but be aware of your pace of play, So Tee off from the Gold Tees, Hit the living snot out of the ball heck hit 2 if you want. if the ball does not go in the desired location, pick up and place your ball in the desired location you intended to play from rinse and repeat all the way to the hole. There is no point in searching for a loss slice and take 5 more swings to get to the 150 yard marker. You want to take 5 swings per shot, go to the driving range.........

2) Enjoyment of the Game

If you have been bit by the age/ability bug as it is a normal, unavoidable fact.... Play from the tees that allow you to enjoy the game like when you were a single digit 25 year old. If you have been playing the game long enough and understand pace of play and your overall game. you just know you cant hit it far enough. Play where you can hit a driver and then a mid to low iron or even a wedge. there is no shame to it..... How fun is it to play a round of golf with 4 clubs? Driver, 3 Wood, Hybrid and Putter..... because its so difficult to reach any par 4 in regulation, more so reach any Par 3 now in regulation.

any ways

/soapbox.

# 2 Is what this is all about - enjoyment of the game. Not sure why slow play is part of this thread. If you hit it shorter than others, play it forward and enjoy the day. On my last time out, on the last few holes, we played the beige tees (old reds, they added a new red tees box ahead of that). Now, that was an extreme. But, it was nice to hit driver wedge for a few holes. Plus one hole had a long carry over a waste area, teeing it forward allowed me to clear the hazard with no problem!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# 2 Is what this is all about - enjoyment of the game. Not sure why slow play is part of this thread. If you hit it shorter than others, play it forward and enjoy the day. On my last time out, on the last few holes, we played the beige tees (old reds, they added a new red tees box ahead of that). Now, that was an extreme. But, it was nice to hit driver wedge for a few holes. Plus one hole had a long carry over a waste area, teeing it forward allowed me to clear the hazard with no problem!

Slow play is essential to this thread! Slow play can ruin the enjoyment of your playing partners and certainly for the people playing behind you. If the tees you are playing from cause disruptive slow play then you should move to a more appropriate set of tees. If tees do not affect pace of play then a player should be able to choose their own form of enjoyment be it hitting wedges into par 4s or hybrids into par 4s.

Slow play is essential to this thread! Slow play can ruin the enjoyment of your playing partners and certainly for the people playing behind you. If the tees you are playing from cause disruptive slow play then you should move to a more appropriate set of tees. If tees do not affect pace of play then a player should be able to choose their own form of enjoyment be it hitting wedges into par 4s or hybrids into par 4s.

Slow play is not essential to tee boxes, that is why I made my post and agree with Tanner..... I dont think slow play should be correlated to tee boxes.

1) Slow play is an individual responsibility to play within the realms to not affect their playing partners and others on the course.

2) As noted above a TEE Box does not control the players ability. If you are brand new to golf, it is the playing partners responsibility to advise the new player about etiquette and how to keep pace of play. In addition the new players responsibility to take action, As they say "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".

3) If you are a new player and cant keep a ball in the fairway, the right thing to do is pick up, place it at a legitimate second shot location and play in. Again pace of play has nothing to do with tee boxes. More so if you duff the shot off the tee and it takes you 5 shots to reach the 150 maker, again a responsible player would pick up and place in a legitimate area to keep pace with your playing partners or the group in front.

All in all The tee it up campaign should be more for those that do lack the physical ability to make the game as enjoyable as it can be. Someone made an example and we even have one going about a 3 vs 25 handicap.

If there is water that is 150 carry and the 25 Handicap cannot carry the ball no more than 140 yards from the white tees. But the Red Tees are across or closer with a max carry of 100 yards. No matter how good the 25 hits it, they WILL NEVER carry the water, why frustrate your self and others by losing a ball and having to re-tee. (while this is pace of play in essence, its again being responsible and knowing your limitations) Maybe just that hole you would tee it forward, Not all holes.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

NO one and I mean NO one plays it forward according to their "ability" or "club distance". I watch people golf all day long. The ONLY people moving forward are seniors and ladies. Seems as though ladies "get it" and guys have way to much ego and testosterone. Some seniors only move forward when their game suffers extensively and they are about to give up the game. I see way too many 20's and 30's guys playing from the tips and men's tees that would be far better off from the forward tees. Even lots of seniors should be playing the senior tees and just can't bring themselves to do it.

At 61 I play the senior tees on league nights, men's tees on the "buddies" nights, forward tees when I play with my wife and tips when I play with my boss/superintendent. . I hit the ball long enough to play the tips and really enjoy driving par 4 greens when I play with my wife.

Slow play is not essential to tee boxes, that is why I made my post and agree with Tanner..... I dont think slow play should be correlated to tee boxes..........All in all The tee it up campaign should be more for those that do lack the physical ability to make the game as enjoyable as it can be. Someone made an example and we even have one going about a 3 vs 25 handicap.

If there is water that is 150 carry and the 25 Handicap cannot carry the ball no more than 140 yards from the white tees. But the Red Tees are across or closer with a max carry of 100 yards. No matter how good the 25 hits it, they WILL NEVER carry the water, why frustrate your self and others by losing a ball and having to re-tee. (while this is pace of play in essence, its again being responsible and knowing your limitations) Maybe just that hole you would tee it forward, Not all holes.

If slow play is not a result of tee choice then do-gooders should let people make their own choice for what passes as entertainment. Why does choice of tees matter to anybody other than the player in question or his playing partners? I'm pro-choice when it comes to tees!

For as many players I see playing the back tees because of ego, I see twice as many playing the forward tees for the same reason. The embarrassment of posting a higher score keeps them from "enjoying" the back tees.

Slow play is not essential to tee boxes, that is why I made my post and agree with Tanner..... I dont think slow play should be correlated to tee boxes..........All in all The tee it up campaign should be more for those that do lack the physical ability to make the game as enjoyable as it can be. Someone made an example and we even have one going about a 3 vs 25 handicap.

If slow play is not a result of tee choice then do-gooders should let people make their own choice for what passes as entertainment. Why does choice of tees matter to anybody other than the player in question or his playing partners? I'm pro-choice when it comes to tees!

For as many players I see playing the back tees because of ego, I see twice as many playing the forward tees for the same reason. The embarrassment of posting a higher score keeps them from "enjoying" the back tees.

You are right, I am pro choice, play what tees you want..... that gives you the most enjoyment. Again moving tees is not a matter of pace of play though.

looking at this.... if you lack ability as i described above about not carrying water on a tee shot how the hell is that enjoyable? Losing a ball and re-teeing, I mean there might be some masochist but doubt that.

you can be a 50 handicap 20 year old that is strong as hell and play from the black but if you slice your ball out 3 times from the tee, you best be moving your @$$ with your group closer to the hole, and dropping somewhere closer. Again Tee has nothing to do with the choice of pace of play.

Again Play the Tee box that you can enjoy the game...and that goes along with your ability.....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I'm generally pro choice but it's frustrating when you get stuck behind a foursome of meatheads who play from the tips and 3 of them can't hit it past the forward tees on the first or second try. I do think many clubs are scared to use rangers to enforce pace of play for revenue reasons, especially here in New England where the season is so short.

I believe the USGA has right idea of playing from tees that corresponds to irons and wedges for second shots, but I won't judge another player as long as they keep it moving no matter where they play.

Maybe if people stopped referring to tees as Senior tees or Ladies tees others would be either less predisposed to play the "Mens" tees or more willing to move up. The abundance of tee choices in North America adds to the confusion - the traditional setup of forward, regular or competition tees made things easier when deciding when I started to play.

Yes, there's something to be said for choice. I play Black, Blue and White. From black to white I may lose 2-3 strokes depending on my frame of mind that day. Being in my mid-sixties, that will change for the worse in the next year or so. Anyhow, choice in tees is all about ego. Has little or nothing to do with skill or age. But an argument could be made that says, the guy that yesterday posted a high score from the Blue or back tees, today posts an equalyl high score from the front tees is likely to be mentally crushed. Maybe drink himself to oblivison, cry some while repeatedly mumbling "what do I do now?". :lol:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Yes, there's something to be said for choice. I play Black, Blue and White. From black to white I may lose 2-3 strokes depending on my frame of mind that day. Being in my mid-sixties, that will change for the worse in the next year or so. Anyhow, choice in tees is all about ego. Has little or nothing to do with skill or age. But an argument could be made that says, the guy that yesterday posted a high score from the Blue or back tees, today posts an equalyl high score from the front tees is likely to be mentally crushed. Maybe drink himself to oblivison, cry some while repeatedly mumbling "what do I do now?". :lol:

For some people any choice of tees is ego driven. No doubt there are players that will have to play the back tees to get their mancard punched. Others will play the up tees to keep their score respectable. I know far too many players who enjoy the challenge of the back tees and prefer testing their games to make a blanket statement saying they do it because of ego.

I think groups or players are slow primarily based on two things:

1)Not playing ready golf

2)They are slow around the greens. On the green in 6 on a par four and lining up a put like Jack Nicklaus in the US Open. But, I have also seen good players up there lining up 3 footers or a tap in like they are in the final group on Sunday at Augusta. Irritates me to no end. Damn you are 18 inches away. Stop plumb bobbing it because you are not out here for big money and oh might want to suggest to your group the words gimmee putt. Dang you are there on Saturday to have fun with buddies. This is not the PGA tour.

You have no business playing the tips if you are not a 5 cap or less. I don't care if you can drive it 300 yds. So you're hacking out from 150 instead of hitting from the fairway. You paid your money and can play from where you want but don't tell me a 94 from the tips is more enjoyable than a 79 from the tees a step up. All you're doing is looking like a weekend warrior and not impressing anybody with macho tees.

IMO if you can't consistently break 90 from the middle tees you need to move up until you can. From the back tees you should be able to consistently break 80. Just my opinion of course but I think it would make golf more enjoyable for all.

You have no business playing the tips if you are not a 5 cap or less. I don't care if you can drive it 300 yds. So you're hacking out from 150 instead of hitting from the fairway. You paid your money and can play from where you want but don't tell me a 94 from the tips is more enjoyable than a 79 from the tees a step up. All you're doing is looking like a weekend warrior and not impressing anybody with macho tees.

IMO if you can't consistently break 90 from the middle tees you need to move up until you can. From the back tees you should be able to consistently break 80. Just my opinion of course but I think it would make golf more enjoyable for all.

I like it. It would be hard to enforce though. I would make it 85 and 95.

i love when people make decisions on what is enjoyable for me.

Why not? If you are playing from the tips and spray the ball and your balls goes 150 -175 yards all day, it's really annoying to watch. True, you are a paying customer and get to do what you want. As a second thought and just my opinion, not sure why you would want to torture yourself from the tips. (Of course, I don't know your game, just making a point).

Do any of you think a 36 capper is going to get through 7100 yards just as fast as they could 6400 ? If you do, then what are you on because I want some to.

As far as enforcing something like this. I would be happy if people just policed themselves. You should know your friends and your own game good enough to know what to do.

I am not saying nobody belongs on the tips. If you got the ability and are not going to slow down every group behind you for the rest of the day, there is no problem. But I see alot of people pissing and moaning that other people know what's fun for them. Well the same logic can be applied to the ones who got no business playing the tips, they reload three balls off the tee on every hole and stink up the whole course. Well thanks for thinking the rest of us wanted to see that and get held up by it all day.

I think most of the people coming in here acting all butt hurt over this probly got a good enough game that this doesn't pertain to them anyway. But let's fake outrage anyway just cuz we can.

Why not? If you are playing from the tips and spray the ball and your balls goes 150 -175 yards all day, it's really annoying to watch. True, you are a paying customer and get to do what you want. As a second thought and just my opinion, not sure why you would want to torture yourself from the tips. (Of course, I don't know your game, just making a point).

With all due respect, how many guys do you ever see playing from the tips that hit the ball 150-175 yards all day ? I assume you mean with driver ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Also, nobody has mentioned the golf course over booking and double teeing and 8 minutes between tee times. They can be as much to blame as well.

I played not too long ago in a threesome and they told us to slow down as we were the first group off on #1 and we were going to get out ahead of their time. Seriously, here comes the ranger on 7 telling us to slow down. We were like ok whatever and no we won't. You all did it so you can deal with it. But you are making the turn to quick. Ok whatever.

I like it. It would be hard to enforce though. I would make it 85 and 95.

I have been told several times in this thread that pace of play is not an issue. So what would be the point in having a rule that would restrict where some decides to tee off? Do we really need a Department of Tee Control?

There is also NO reason that golf has to be played slowly from a particular set of tees. There is NO reason that bad golf has to be played slowly. And there is NO reason to expect that good golf will be played quickly.

That said, there is a very real connection between less-skilled players choosing to play big yardages and playing slowly. Think of it this way; does it typically take longer to play a par three, or to play a par 5? Is the difference more about the time spent riding or walking, or about more shots being hit?

The slowest golfers in the world are 4 guys in carts who are playing a yardage that is too much for them, and have no idea what they are doing. If any of you think that players playing from too long a yardage doesn't slow a course up dramatically, you just aren't paying attention.

There is also NO reason that golf has to be played slowly from a particular set of tees. There is NO reason that bad golf has to be played slowly. And there is NO reason to expect that good golf will be played quickly.

That said, there is a very real connection between less-skilled players choosing to play big yardages and playing slowly. Think of it this way; does it typically take longer to play a par three, or to play a par 5? Is the difference more about the time spent riding or walking, or about more shots being hit?

The slowest golfers in the world are 4 guys in carts who are playing a yardage that is too much for them, and have no idea what they are doing. If any of you think that players playing from too long a yardage doesn't slow a course up dramatically, you just aren't paying attention.

You completely contradicted yourself with your first paragraph and your last paragraph. What is "too long a yardage"? You either think tee choice is a pace-of-play issue or you don't. If you think there is NO reason bad golf has to be played slowly then the answer is marshaling slow play and not dictating where to play.

With all due respect, how many guys do you ever see playing from the tips that hit the ball 150-175 yards all day ? I assume you mean with driver ?

Well, I play senior tees.. My friend uses the blues and he is about a 3 handicap and hits the ball, maybe 280 and straight? I drive up and tee off minutes before he does and then come back. We play fast and smart and anyone who doubts his using the tips once they see his drives and they are straight, really have nothing to say. We do wait because there are 4 holes where he can drive the green and wait for the green to clear but whats the alternative? A mandated 5 wood for him because he hits the ball too far? Yesterday he hit his second on a par 5 with players on the green and his ball was maybe 30 yards short. One came back and picked up his ball. This happened twice. Having to wait evens out i guess because once i hit my 2nd the group behind is clear to hit. I just dont need rules to manage my game when I am doing nothing wrong. If according to some, your second shot should be a 5 iron or less, why do i need more than 7 clubs or why does anyone? I enjoy hitting hybrids and fairway woods.

Well, I play senior tees.. My friend uses the blues and he is about a 3 handicap and hits the ball, maybe 280 and straight? I drive up and tee off minutes before he does and then come back. We play fast and smart and anyone who doubts his using the tips once they see his drives and they are straight, really have nothing to say. We do wait because there are 4 holes where he can drive the green and wait for the green to clear but whats the alternative? A mandated 5 wood for him because he hits the ball too far? Yesterday he hit his second on a par 5 with players on the green and his ball was maybe 30 yards short. One came back and picked up his ball. This happened twice. Having to wait evens out i guess because once i hit my 2nd the group behind is clear to hit. I just dont need rules to manage my game when I am doing nothing wrong. If according to some, your second shot should be a 5 iron or less, why do i need more than 7 clubs or why does anyone? I enjoy hitting hybrids and fairway woods.

I'm confused how your post relates at all to what ghost of Snead said

I'm confused how your post relates at all to what ghost of Snead said

I wasnt replying to ghost of snead and i agree with him. You would have to be a total idiot to play back tees and drive 150. I personally havent seen it.I see young guys who watch golf on tv and want to emulate the pros. They are also the same ones who wont let an older man play thru because it somehow UN mans them

You completely contradicted yourself with your first paragraph and your last paragraph. What is "too long a yardage"? You either think tee choice is a pace-of-play issue or you don't. If you think there is NO reason bad golf has to be played slowly then the answer is marshaling slow play and not dictating where to play.

Ok, I'll say it again, slowly.

While it is possible to play bad golf from the back tees quickly, and while playing a more "appropriate" set of tees doesn't in itself guarantee fast play, the reality is that the slowest golfers on almost any golf course on almost any day are men who are playing from too far back for their skill level. Not women. Not old guys. Not good players. Bad golfers who insist on "playing the whole course". Note that the yardage isn't the ONLY reason they are slow; throw into the mix that, in addition to playing "too long a yardage", they are inept at using their carts, are NEVER ready to play when it's their turn, and plumb bob 2' putts for triple. They wouldn't be fast if they moved up, but it would take them less time to be slow.

You can see this on any golf course anytime you care to look. Or ask any course ranger. It's always the same thing.

That's as blunt as I can be. Hope it helps.

Welcome to the USSA - United Socialist States of America :swoon:

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

last week, all day long. But, many who play the tips are better golfers.

Is this concept really that hard to understand. If you are on the senior tees then fine. If your buddy is a good player and plays the tips, fine.

Part of the issue is wording I think. Some posts sound matter of fact. I myself don't think driver wedge all day would be much fun. But I would like it on some holes. I personally play tees that makes it challenging and use all the clubs I paid for.

One thing should be noticed is not one person came in here and said " I suck and can't hit it out of my own shadow but I still play the tips to keep my man card". Honestly if you are quick about it, I don't care where ya play from. There is more than just the tees being a problem, but etiquette as well. Ready golf and so on. I am just amused that most who come in here complaining about this concept aren't the ones that are causing problems anyway. But I appreciate your moral outrage for other people.