2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Arnold Palmer Forged Irons: How Good Are/Were They?

• 4 months later...

I have my fathers 1971 Palmer Original Standards. 1 iron..3 on down to the 56 deg Sandhog. Father was a pro and had these and his Wilson Staffs made at 1" over standard. I have used them for over 20 yrs. Working the ball is easier than the new Radspeeds I recently purchased. I was never going to get my handicap 10 or below with those blades. I'm 58 now and need more forgiving and distance.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/26/2016 at 7:28 PM, EmperorPenguin said:

I am curious about the old-school Arnold Palmer irons, most notably The Standard irons. When I started playing golf in 1990 I did see a few of those sets around, but over time they gradually disappeared. I suppose that Arnie's forgings simply fell through the cracks as people were joining the Mizuno bandwagon? I mean, if the muscleback The Standard irons were so good, word of mouth would have people keep asking for them. My first forged sets were Golden Rams, and those clubs were in the bags of Watson, Price, Floyd, Mize and quite a few other pros simply because they were coveted. Through the 90's I spoke with many golfers who loved MP-14, MP-29, Tour Blade, Tour Grind, Tour Model, Tour Action, Tour Edition, Apex, VIP, and nearly every Japanese forging out there. Arnold Palmer The Standard? I can't recall any golfer saying anything about that club, let alone even mention it. If Arnie's clubs weren't so popular, maybe they didn't feel very good. For those of you who did own a set of muscleback The Standard irons, I ask how they felt when struck in the middle. If you answer that they felt like nirvana, I must ask this follow-up question: why weren't they so popular?

I see a loose club every once in a while, they look good, if I ever Find a full set I would buy them, rarely ever see them though, not like the other makers

13 hours ago, WeAreAllUnique said:

I have a set of the Arnold Palmer The Standard 85 irons. So far they are my favorite of the hundreds of iron sets I have owned. 

IMG_20220511_060300038.jpg

IMG_20220511_060310385.jpg

IMG_20220511_060316384.jpg

IMG_20220511_060323899.jpg

I have two sets. My original Standards fom 1983? And a set of Standard 85s. I don't play them anymore, I need more forgiveness. But I'll keep my originals forever.

27 minutes ago, JimmyC59 said:

I have two sets. My original Standards fom 1983? And a set of Standard 85s. I don't play them anymore, I need more forgiveness. But I'll keep my originals forever.

I don't think that they are that difficult to hit. It would be hard for me to not put these babies in the bag. They are just too nice. 

1 hour ago, WeAreAllUnique said:

I hadn't either until some months ago. I was actually looking on eBay for the original Standard irons and these came up in the listing. I couldn't resist. They looked so pretty. 

I liked the set I had.  Simple, slightly flanged flat back blade.  Was surprised at the size, a bit bigger than the Original Standards or the 78-84 Standards.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, NRJyzr said:

I liked the set I had.  Simple, slightly flanged flat back blade.  Was surprised at the size, a bit bigger than the Original Standards or the 78-84 Standards.

There are so many things to like about this set of irons. Firstly, they are plain gorgeous. They have a very different feel when you hit the ball with them. They aren't the softest forged blade I have ever hit, but they are no way harsh feeling either. It's just a different feel and the sound is really pleasing. There is just something very special about these irons. They also look different from anything I have ever seen before. If you go on ebay, you won't find many of these like you do with the other versions of the Standard iron sets. This makes them even more unique. I'm completely smitten with these irons. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I’ve got a set of “Golden Standard” irons and persimmon woods that were my Dad’s.   Think they were a special anniversary edition from the early to mid seventies.  Iron heights get extremely shallow from top to bottom the lower the lofts. Golden honey colored/blonde woods are beautiful.  Will try to post photos. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2022 at 11:24 PM, WeAreAllUnique said:

There are so many things to like about this set of irons. Firstly, they are plain gorgeous. They have a very different feel when you hit the ball with them. They aren't the softest forged blade I have ever hit, but they are no way harsh feeling either. It's just a different feel and the sound is really pleasing. There is just something very special about these irons. They also look different from anything I have ever seen before. If you go on ebay, you won't find many of these like you do with the other versions of the Standard iron sets. This makes them even more unique. I'm completely smitten with these irons. 

I scored a set of these today. Also some Walter Hagens (Ultradyne 2). Both sets are super clean, the Palmers are sublime in appearance, and I can't wait to swing 'em. Happy Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Wade Patton
correction
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 6:05 AM, WeAreAllUnique said:

I have a set of the Arnold Palmer The Standard 85 irons. So far they are my favorite of the hundreds of iron sets I have owned. 

IMG_20220511_060300038.jpg

IMG_20220511_060310385.jpg

IMG_20220511_060316384.jpg

IMG_20220511_060323899.jpg

My Standards came the other day and I got to hit them properly yesterday. I was trying out five different 8i's.  The Palmer was so easy to hit, and lovely to look at. I hate to rip the old grips off, but they desperately need fresh and fatter grips for me.  They're my new favorites.

BTW are these heads stainless?  They've been buffed out and have absolutely zero nicks on the soles, but I can see minute wear in the faces. I was hesitant to even hit them, being so pristine, but am getting over that with the feel and shape of the shots.

32 minutes ago, Wade Patton said:

are these heads stainless?

No sir.  Forged carbon steel

• Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The first Palmers made were the "Tru-Matics" from ~1967 to 1971, actually at the Professional Golf Co/First Flite facilities, then got sold to Fuqua after the Sears controversy, then Fuqua sold back to ProGolfCo/First Flite.....the models mentioned in the above posts were all made after that sale in 1971...