Atlanta Course Reviews and Conditions

Hey all, I know there are plenty of reviews on Atlanta coures, but a lot of the threads are recommending locations or specific places to play for a weekend. I wanted to start one that would be good for recent reviews so if you're looking to play and probably booking on golfnow or something you would know where to play and what to expect. I live in the Druid Hills are and over the past couple months I have played the following, these aren't in any particular order, just in order of what I remembered.

Charlie Yates- Only 9 holes but since it's so close I go there to practice occasionally. They have a good shortgame practice area across the street where you can take a couple wedges and your putter and practice for free (technically you're supposed to play to use the facility but no one has ever ask me, plus I play once a month or so and buy range balls occasionally so I figure I'm good) The range is decent but for some reason they have you on mats only a lot. The course it's self is an executive course and only had 3 par 4's the other 6 holes are par 3's. It's in generally good shape, but don't go out there expecting some great course. I'd recommend it as a place to play as a beginner or to take beginners.

The Frog- I played the Frog last week and it was good. I would rate it as one of the top 5 courses on my list. The layout was pretty interesting, a good mix of holes, definitely some holes you could score on and I also didn't feel like the harder holes were unfair. It was in good shape, the greens were a tad slow, but they rolled nice. They now have a clubhouse that's pretty nice, It's a bit out of the way as it's about an hour west of Midtown.

Heritage (27 holes) - Some people have mixed feelings about Heritage but I like it. It was originally built to be a really nice resort, but because it never got to that level. Dr. J the basketball player bought it, put lots of $ into it and then during the recession sold it. I think the owners now are doing the right things. It has 3 nines, two of which are full 9's the other is a little shorter but I still think it's a par 36. It has a huge practice area, and I know they teach a lot of lessons out of the practice facility. The course it's self is in good shape, they have large bunkers, and good bent grass greens. I would say there are a few quirky holes, and two of the par 3's from the back are really long (250 and 220). It's also not a huge property, you definitely see other groups while you're on a hole, but it's in good shape most of the time.

River Pines-River pines in John's Creek area is one of the better courses on my list. It isn't particularly long and I think it's a par 70, but the course is always in good shape, and the greens are generally pretty nice. It has a nice range and clubhouse and they try to make sure the rounds don't take too long, they do a good job of marshaling slow groups. My only complaint with RP is that I feel like there are about 5 quirky holes, for example there are about 4 holes that you have to hit iron off the tee and if fairway really narrows or turns past like 220 yards, where if you hit anything more it's probably in the woods or water.

Cherokee Run- Cherokee is the course I have probably played the most, as it's usually available for cheap on GN with a hot deal, and it's generally in really good shape. It's in Conyers on the site that the Olympic equestrian events were held. It's an Arnold Palmer design which means long par 3's, uphill approaches, and long narrow greens. I really enjoy the Zoysia fairways as you don't see those often and the greens are champions bermuda which are generally really fast. My one complaint is that the course was originally designed with bent greens and when they replaced them with bermuda they did not level some of the breaks in the greens, which unfortunately leads to some brutal pin placements. I would argue that the first green is borderline unfair as any ball above the hole will run way past and probably off the green if it doesn't hit the hole. There are 2 quirky par 5's that don't really allow you to hit drivers, but there is lots of elevation change and it's generally not too crowded.

Chapel Hills- Chapel Hills is a clubcorp course, but was running a member for a day promotion where they allowed the public to play for $30. The layout was nice but I would advise knowing where you have to hit it on each hole. There were many holes with blind or semi blind tee shots where if I had played before I would have knows what to do, but because none of us had played it, we hit what we thought were good shots only to find them in a creek or on the wrong side of the hole. I believe they were bent greens and the condition of the course was good. It is though a neighborhood but you don't feel like you're in the backyards. It's not one of the top clubcorp courses but it's a nice fun test of golf and in good condition.

Rivermont- Rivermont is private, but it is on the lower end of the non clubcorp private clubs in Atlanta. What I mean by that is that it is not as exclusive as some of the top courses, but the golf is great. The course is a really interesting fun layout in great condition. I wouldn't get tired of playing there and would recommend it if you get the chance.

The Oaks- Probably my least favorite of the courses I played. It's east of conyers and just not a great course. The conditions are decent for what the course is, but it's really a basic low level golf club. If I lived right beside it and could play it for like $10 bucks it would probably be worth it, but I definitely won't be itching to return. The course is fairly long, but the holes and greens are just pretty plain. not much undulation and the conditions of the fairways and rough are mediocre at best.

The University of Georgia Club- I really enjoyed the UGA club. I played it during the spring when the grass was still dormant, but could tell that during the summer when it's greened up it's very nice. Good layout of interesting holes, my favorite stretch was 11-14 where you play along a large pond. This course used to host a nationwide event and still could. It is out of the way in Athens but only took me an hour to get to from midtown on a sunday morning with no traffic. I'm sure you have to be strategic about when you go over there but if you're in Athens I would recommend.

Chateau Elan (Woodlands and Chateau)- I just played Chateau Elan this week and was impressed. I had read reviews online saying it's not in great shape, and to be fair there were some greens that had issues on Chateau. Both courses were nice, although woodlands was very tight. From the back tees if you have to hit driver quite a bit and if you miss left of right on most holes, you're generally in the woods and it's not the woods that you can find it and play out of. You do play though neighborhoods but you're not right on top of the houses, and they don't really come into play. The houses are beautiful, I would assume most of them are around $600-800k with many in the millions. The greens were a little slow, but rolled pretty true on woodlands, and the tee boxes were a little spare on some of the holes but nothing too bad.

Stone Mountain (Lakemont and Stonemont)- I played both of these courses in one day, and wasn't too impressed. The conditions were just ok, and some of the greens needed some work. There are definitely some cool holes around the water, but there were many holes that were quirky, requiring irons off the tee with sharp doglegs. I won't be in a rush to go back, but if I found a hot deal for the right price I may go. I would recommend if you're going with a group, find a person that is a pass holder to Stone Mountain Park, I believe if you're not you have to pay to get in the park which is like $10. I think for like $20 you can be an annual member though so it's not too bad.

Barnsley Gardens- I love barnsley. It's north of Cartersville in Adairsville but I really think it's a great golf course. You get some good holes that feel like you're on a farm, you get some good holes thorough the woods, and then you get a few good elevated holes, with large downhill tee shots. The conditions are always really good. The bunkering is great and greens roll really well. They also have cabins, clay shooting, hunting, fishing and many other things, but most people are there to golf. I would recommend going and would say you won't be disappointed. It's in the top 3 on this list.

Stonebridge- Stonebridge in Rome was just ok. I liked the layout but I played it in February and it had rained some the week before. The fairways were really thin leaving a lot of mud and muddy lies, I think during the summer it's probably much better and I would actually like to return and play it now which I'm sure would be a better experience. It's in a neighborhood but once again you're not really on top of the houses, it was a good layout and I don't really remember there being any bad holes. The greens were good which was a plus, I would rank it as middle of the pack in this list.

Wolfcreek- Wolfcreek was ok, the conditions decent, and the layout was as well. I would rank it as a lower end course on this list, but you won't be mad you played there. There were some fun holes though just the greens were a little boring.

East Lake- Obviously a great course in great condition, they are swaapping the 9's for the Tour Championship so when I played #9 the par 5 was closed which kind of sucks, because I think it's their best hole. But the history and clubhouse is awesome and the experience with caddies is great. The golf course it's self isn't unbelievable it's kind of back and forth with a few holes that are really good.

Cannongate 1- Another clubcorp course, which was in a neighborhood. The homes were fairly close to the course but the course was fun. Definitely an older course and the conditions weren't amazing. I would say it's a midlevel club corp course on par with Chapel Hills. Wont regret playing there, but idk if it is much better than some of the public options.

Ashton Hills-Ashton Hills is east of Conyers and is ok. It's a mid level public course, that does go though some neighborhoods. The conditions of the greens were hit and miss with some of the greens having some major spots on them, but they did a good job of putting the pins in places where the greens were good. I would say it's worth playing if you find a good deal on GN.

Southwind- It's probably one of the worst on this list, maybe slightly higher than Oaks, due to it's layout with some interesting holes. But the conditions were pretty bad. Fairways were thin and dirt in some spots in the rough, the greens had some trouble and weren't great and some of the tee boxes were pretty bad. I think with some $ this course could be ok, but I don't really have the desire to go back.

Reunion Golf Club- I played Reunion golf club Jun 12, and was very pleasantly surprised. Plays around 7000 from the tips and didn't really have a bad hole. The course was in a very nice neighborhood but you never felt like you were in a back yard, and there were many holes where you didn't see any homes. The course had a lot of elevation changes, but nothing quirky like a straight downhill par 3. The course is a par 72, with the front playing normal with 2 par 3's and 2 par 5's but the back 9 having 3 par 3's and 3 par 5's. The greens are bent grass, rolling a little slow but well. I played with some guys that had played there before and they were helpful with tips on where to hit it on some holes, but there were probably only 3 or 4 holes where from the tee you would be unsure what to hit if it was your first time playing. The few holes with hazards in the fairway had signage on the tee box stating the yardage from each tee box to the hazard. I was very impressed and will definitely go back, I drove up from midtown and felt like it was definitely worth the 50 min drive. I'll be going back.

Summer Grove Golf Club- Summer grove is down near peachtree city, It's in a nice community with a few other club corp courses. Summer Grove is public though, but I was impressed. The front 9 I enjoyed more, as there was a large lake that you play a few holes around. I ended up playing 27, after I finished I wanted to play the front again. The greens were bent and and pretty nice, fairways and tee boxes really nice as well. I would put it in the upper class of public courses around the area. There's a nice clubhouse, with good food/drinks. I would get down there and play if you're in the area, and the good news is if you're in midtown you go against traffic so it won't take that long to get down there.

Crystal Lake Golf and Country Club- This course is in Hampton Ga, about 20 min south of the airport. Played it September 9th and was really impressed. The greens were bent and a little spotty due to the heat, but they still rolled well. The fairways were very nice, good mix of holes, plenty of distance (7200ish) from the tips. Couple quirky par 5's, especially 18 where you can't hit driver or 3 wood off the tee or you'll end up in a hazard. But I was really impressed and would put it up with some of the nicer public courses in town. (Also fired a career low 69! so maybe that helps my review!)

Hopefully this list is helpful, feel free to let me know if you agree/disagree with these ranking or if there's something I forgot that I need to include.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stonebridge is in better shape now since its dried up, but the fwys are still a little thin. Great for tee shot distance though.

Check out Woodmont in Canton if haven't already.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

• 4 weeks later...

Great stuff. Thank you for taking the time.

As a (sort of) new guy to the Atlanta area (Woodstock), your reviews and updates were very helpful. I really want to play The Frog and River Pines.

PXG 0811X Gen4 Diamana S+ 60S
PXG 0341x Proto 3 and 5 wood Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0311 Gen3 P 4-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54*/Camo 60* Elevate Tour S 
PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

As a (sort of) new guy to the Atlanta area (Woodstock), your reviews and updates were very helpful. I really want to play The Frog and River Pines.

I'm glad they are helpful, apparently right now Wolf Creek is in great shape, I played with a guy who had just played it and he said it's the best he's ever seen it. Might be worth a trip down. I played UGA course again today, really good shape would recommend if you're over near Athens.

I'm glad they are helpful, apparently right now Wolf Creek is in great shape, I played with a guy who had just played it and he said it's the best he's ever seen it. Might be worth a trip down. I played UGA course again today, really good shape would recommend if you're over near Athens.

Wolf is super lush. You def have to play it. #8 is one of the hardest holes in the state IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Other NORTHSIDE courses you need to play IMO.

Crystal Falls

Chestatee

Hampton

Woodmont

All are in really good shape right now.

My neighbor is a native to the area and highly recommended Chestatee and Woodmont.

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

• 2 weeks later...

Played The Frog twice in in two weeks in June and it was in excellent condition. I had never played there before and did thoroughly enjoyed it. Our group walked it and it is an easier walk than Cobblestone which is where we end up playing the most. It is open enough to recover from a bad shot but you still need well placed shots to have a good score. The greens are a little flatter than some courses around but the break is still there.

Anyone play Govenors Club in Acworth? Anyone play Achasta in Dahloniga?

Pick 'em - Woodmont or The Frog?

My dad is coming in town and we are playing twice. Trying to decide.

PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Bridgestone BX

I should have searched this out before I started my own thread about ATL courses.

I have considered playing some of these courses while in the area, but have since scratched some off the list based on the OP's reviews. Thanks!

I'm interested in playing Bears Best. Have any of you played it recently? Also will be checking out Chateau Elan, and Mystic Valley.

Callaway BB Alpha 10.5
Cobra BioCell 3 wood
Taylormade Burner 3 hybrid
Taylormade R9 4-SW
Bridgestone J40 52, 56, 60
Rife Mid Mallet

Chastain (North Fulton) golf course is in terrible shape right now but they have a heckuva skins game on Monday night. $20 to get in, 9 holes, 2 man scramble, shotgun start at 6:00pm, 2 free *drinks* with entry. This week, there was only one skin and the team walked away with over $1,400. Make sure you sign up early, it always fills up.

They are also having the Buckhead Cup this weekend. It's a Ryder Cup style match between Chastain and Bobby Jones Golf Course. There's also going to be an individual Buckhead Championship August 22nd and 23rd, one round at Chastain, one round at Bobby Jones. The more the merrier.

I should have searched this out before I started my own thread about ATL courses.

I have considered playing some of these courses while in the area, but have since scratched some off the list based on the OP's reviews. Thanks!

I'm interested in playing Bears Best. Have any of you played it recently? Also will be checking out Chateau Elan, and Mystic Valley.

Chateau Elan is completely redoing their greens on one of their courses, I would pass on Mystery Valley. Depending on where you are staying could make drive time a big difference. Reunion is just down the road from Chateau Elan.

Chateau Elan is completely redoing their greens on one of their courses, I would pass on Mystery Valley. Depending on where you are staying could make drive time a big difference. Reunion is just down the road from Chateau Elan.

I disagree. For a County owned course, it is always in really good shape and the greens always roll true. Also, not as crowded as one would think a muni would be. Play Mystery Valley if you'll be on the Eastside of town. I'd play it over Stone Mountain ANY day.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

My buddy is a member at GTC and LOVES his home course. I have played Achasta (about three years ago) and thought it was a fantastic course. I'd like to play it again soon. I'd pick The Frog over Woodmont, but that's because I've played The Frog more and really enjoy the layout.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Hard to choose between Woodmont and the Frog. Both are great courses.

I'll be staying NW Atlanta, around Smyrna. I don't mind an hour or so drive to play a good course, hence the Bears Best interest.

I did have the Frog on my list as well but forgot to mention it. It also looks like I'll be staying close to there.

Thank for guys for the recommendations!

Callaway BB Alpha 10.5
Cobra BioCell 3 wood
Taylormade R9 4-SW
Rife Mid Mallet

I'll be staying NW Atlanta, around Smyrna. I don't mind an hour or so drive to play a good course, hence the Bears Best interest.

I did have the Frog on my list as well but forgot to mention it. It also looks like I'll be staying close to there.

Not far from Smyrna is City Club Marietta. It's short...fun...roughly $50 or under....and has been in good shape both times I've played it. It's not the Frog by any means...but fun to play. I think it's 5800 from the tips.

Not far from Smyrna is City Club Marietta. It's short...fun...roughly $50 or under....and has been in good shape both times I've played it. It's not the Frog by any means...but fun to play. I think it's 5800 from the tips.

I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks!

Callaway BB Alpha 10.5
Cobra BioCell 3 wood
Taylormade R9 4-SW
Rife Mid Mallet

If you don't mind a little drive, drive up to Adairsville and play Barnsley Gardens, it's better than any public course in the Atlanta area. Plus you get to replay it free. Usually not too crowded either.

If you don't mind a little drive, drive up to Adairsville and play Barnsley Gardens, it's better than any public course in the Atlanta area. Plus you get to replay it free. Usually not too crowded either.

It's in good shape right now.

1. Echelon

2. Achasta

3. Frog

4. Woodmont

5. Bears best

Seriously, achasta is in the best shape of all.. But echelon is hard to pass up if you want a test.

• 1 month later...

East Lake- Obviously a great course in great condition, they are swaapping the 9's for the Tour Championship so when I played #9 the par 5 was closed which kind of sucks, because I think it's their best hole. But the history and clubhouse is awesome and the experience with caddies is great. The golf course it's self isn't unbelievable it's kind of back and forth with a few holes that are really good.

How'd you get on there?

Also, how would you rate Creekside, West Pines, and City Club Marietta?

West Pines is nothing special, but I have played it a few times in the last couple of years. City Club is extremely tight and short, I played it once and probably won't go back.

Woodmont is a no go for me at this point. I played last weekend and they are having issues with their greens. A ton of goosegrass and bermuda grass on them. I love the layout though.

Frog was in great shape about 3 weeks ago, but they are bent grass, and not only can that change quickly, it is also getting close to time for Bent Grass courses to start aerating. Bear's Best and Echelon are bent as well.

Bradshaw Farms is in great shape, and Cobblestone is in very good shape at this point as well.

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 (Testing Odyssey V Line Tank @ 39" with split hands)
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 

Played the frog last weekend and it was in really shape. They need to add more sand to their bunkers though.

Played Marietta two weeks ago and the greens were being watered all through the day for some reason, anyone know why? Plugged balls everywhere.

So they don't lose them. Marietta had bent greens. Roots must stay cool to stay alive. Hence the reason for fans and watering all the time.

How'd you get on there?

Also, how would you rate Creekside, West Pines, and City Club Marietta?

Play in an event out there each spring... cool experience, but wish I could play my own ball and not scramble.

Haven't played any of those you mentioned, but I just added a review for Crystal Lake, I'd recommend if you were south of town.

Apologize if this has already been listed elsewhere, but here are the top rated courses in GA from the recent Golf Digest places to play article.

Sea Island Seaside Course

Reynolds Great Waters Course

Reynolds Oconee Course

Harbor Club

Reynolds National Course

Club at Savannah Harbor

UGA Course

Sea Island Retreat Course

Sea Island Plantation Course

Reynolds The Landing

Barnsley Gardens

Bear's Best Atlanta

The Frog

Achasta

Arrowhead Pointe

Apologize if this has already been listed elsewhere, but here are the top rated courses in GA from the recent Golf Digest places to play article.

Sea Island Seaside Course - good

Reynolds Great Waters Course - good

Reynolds Oconee Course - good

Harbor Club - good

Reynolds National Course - good

Club at Savannah Harbor - good

UGA Course - good

Sea Island Retreat Course - haven't played

Sea Island Plantation Course - haven't played

Reynolds The Landing - haven't played

Barnsley Gardens - good

Bear's Best Atlanta - LOL

The Frog - solid

Achasta - good

Arrowhead Pointe - haven't played

I've played most here. There are better courses. Wonder if this was pay to play in the magazine?