Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

"Clubs are getting cleaned up today and put away for the year." -  Lefty (10/23).  

Keep playing until you can't.  What's the issue with a tidy 84?  Undoubtedly the chilliness impacted your outcome by 6 strokes.  Under the provision of OGA rule 54f.10......"A golfer over 50 years of age is allowed a 2 stroke adjustment to gross score for each 10* temp incremental below 80*."   Bam!  You actually shot a 78!!  It's kinda like slope.  

Anyhow, an 84 is a good score in my world of mediocre golf.  

I lied

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Woke up to a mess this morning. Some trees blown half over, our portable greenhouse cover

blown off and debris in the pool and everywhere else. All and all....it could have been worse.

The hurricane was moving so fast that it didn't have time to weaken much before going over

us.

We had already lost a few trees from earlier storms this year. Thankfully just cypress trees that

we had planted many years ago as a screen. I just cut 'em up and drag 'em out to the right of way

and the city hauls them away. No damage to any structures. The big old growth trees are still

standing. 

IMG_0879.JPG

• Sad 7

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Today was my last day working at the course for this season.  It has been a difficult year, one filled with much additional work and a few too many challenging customer interactions versus the sweet gig we had before.  I asked Brenda to look up the number of rounds I had in the books this year and she told me that it was 27.  I was kind of stunned figuring that the number was surely closer to 40.  [Upon manually checking back through the calendar in did play 40 games]  There was probably a few more rounds that didn't get entered along the way.  Still at only 27 rounds it worked out to about $700 worth of free golf.  I just added up my shifts for the season and I worked 25 days of generally 6 hours duration.  Not a great trade-off in terms of work for play, but I guess I always knew that.  It was the relationships that kept me coming back...

I said my goodbyes.  There will be no Christmas party this year.  As I walked down the asphalt path I began to feel as though that could well be the last time I would be doing that.  I've had the best of times and I've had the worst of times.  But the simple truth is that COVID changed everything!  I think we all know intuitively when our time is up and that has become apparent in these last few weeks.  I've been rather melancholy ever since.

Edited by scomac2002
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

3 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Today was my last day working at the course for this season.  It has been a difficult year, one filled with much additional work and a few too many challenging customer interactions versus the sweet gig we had before.  I asked Brenda to look up the number of rounds I had in the books this year and she told me that it was 27.  I was kind of stunned figuring that the number was surely closer to 40.  [Upon manually checking back through the calendar in did play 40 games]  There was probably a few more rounds that didn't get entered along the way.  Still at only 27 rounds it worked out to about $700 worth of free golf.  I just added up my shifts for the season and I worked 25 days of generally 6 hours duration.  Not a great trade-off in terms of work for play, but I guess I always knew that.  It was the relationships that kept me coming back...

I said my goodbyes.  There will be no Christmas party this year.  As I walked down the asphalt path I began to feel as though that could well be the last time I would be doing that.  I've had the best of times and I've had the worst of times.  But the simple truth is that COVID changed everything!  I think we all know intuitively when our time is up and that has become apparent in these last few weeks.  I've been rather melancholy ever since.

I know exactly how you feel, its difficult to make these decisions but in your own mind you know they have to be made, increasingly at my age I have made several recently and each one gets more difficult, its admitting you are getting older as I think we all do not want to admit we are nearing the end. 
Covid has impacted us greater than I thought it would, it does not matter how you try to ignore it its in your face 24/7, at the start DW was convinced we were going to be infected and pass away from it, it was only when we did a strict lockdown that the possibility of being around for the cure gave her hope.

We have now immersed ourselves in our art, its a way of turning off, and I am sure you can also find something to take the place of your golf duty. 
Take care sco, it will get better.

Edited by tolmij
  • Like 4

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

The end of an era for Sco. The uncertainty if life will return to normal anytime soon. Even in these

strange times in which we live there will be times we might wish to hold onto as life keeps

advancing along. I know there has been for us. Deja Vu...I think I posted this video in times past.

Oh well, it's always "This is the time"

• Like 4

SLED Gemini

All pandemics end. This will end also.

We're probably further away from the ending than we'd like it to be, but it will end.

We could very likely see it for a while as it becomes part of our human experience, like mumps, measles, chicken pox. All of these are easier to work through when we're young, but much more serious for adults contracting them

• Like 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

11 hours ago, Conrad1953 said:

Woke up to a mess this morning. Some trees blown half over, our portable greenhouse cover

blown off and debris in the pool and everywhere else. All and all....it could have been worse.

The hurricane was moving so fast that it didn't have time to weaken much before going over

us.

We had already lost a few trees from earlier storms this year. Thankfully just cypress trees that

we had planted many years ago as a screen. I just cut 'em up and drag 'em out to the right of way

and the city hauls them away. No damage to any structures. The big old growth trees are still

standing. 

IMG_0879.JPG

We are now coming into our storm season but the direction they come from is guarded by a very wide range of mountains, not too high but just enough to defray some of the intensity

• Like 4

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

1 hour ago, Sean2 said:

Been snowing pretty heavily all morning. 😑 Doesn't look like I will be playing tomorrow, lol. Wind chills are supposed to be in the low 20s tomorrow morning. 

Even we are getting a few flurries here.  They melt as soon as they hit the ground, but it's apparent that winter will soon be upon us.  We are supposed to get down to -6°C overnight.  I've already told the boys that I won't be out tomorrow morning.  That said, we may not be done yet with temperatures forecast to reach into the mid teens in the later part of next week.  Curling starts Monday.

Looking back over the season my greatest accomplishment was to get back to a more normal frequency of play.  In 2018 I played only 23 holes of golf.  My back just couldn't take it.

In 2019 I posted 13 rounds in league play plus a few additional rounds late in the season.  I had neither the time nor the recovery to play more often than that.

This season I was able to up that to 43 nine hole rounds most of which were at my old home course.  I guess that's the triumph in this season that I was able to play 2 to 3 times a week without issue even though the score of one of those rounds would not be particularly good.

This is the first year in memory where I haven't managed to break bogie at least a couple of times.  It's also the first time I have carded a +20 nine in likely a decade if not more.  I also know that I had a grand total of 3 birdies all season.  It doesn't seem all that long ago that I'd get one every couple of rounds.  Pars are getting more scarce too.  Needless to say, I've slipped a lot from before the injury. 😕

I don't foresee any equipment projects/changes this off-season.  I've turned everything over and then some over the course of the last two seasons.  I wouldn't mind a small GPS device.  It certainly helps knowing the yardage to the hole.  All I have to do now is figure out how far I hit the clubs as that has changed and not for the better.   Life goes on...

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

4 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Even we are getting a few flurries here.  They melt as soon as they hit the ground, but it's apparent that winter will soon be upon us.  We are supposed to get down to -6°C overnight.  I've already told the boys that I won't be out tomorrow morning.  That said, we may not be done yet with temperatures forecast to reach into the mid teens in the later part of next week.  Curling starts Monday.

Looking back over the season my greatest accomplishment was to get back to a more normal frequency of play.  In 2018 I played only 23 holes of golf.  My back just couldn't take it.

In 2019 I posted 13 rounds in league play plus a few additional rounds late in the season.  I had neither the time nor the recovery to play more often than that.

This season I was able to up that to 43 nine hole rounds most of which were at my old home course.  I guess that's the triumph in this season that I was able to play 2 to 3 times a week without issue even though the score of one of those rounds would not be particularly good.

This is the first year in memory where I haven't managed to break bogie at least a couple of times.  It's also the first time I have carded a +20 nine in likely a decade if not more.  I also know that I had a grand total of 3 birdies all season.  It doesn't seem all that long ago that I'd get one every couple of rounds.  Pars are getting more scarce too.  Needless to say, I've slipped a lot from before the injury. 😕

I don't foresee any equipment projects/changes this off-season.  I've turned everything over and then some over the course of the last two seasons.  I wouldn't mind a small GPS device.  It certainly helps knowing the yardage to the hole.  All I have to do now is figure out how far I hit the clubs as that has changed and not for the better.   Life goes on...

We do the best with what we have. We can't ask ourselves for anything more than that. 

• Like 3

On 10/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, tolmij said:

The problem with this one is the internet, the conspiracy theory nut jobs have taken over and too many are listening to them, this has resulted in thousands continuing as if nothing is wrong and spreading it far and wide so there are  many more deaths than would be normal. As we can all see in America it is now out of control thanks to the nuts and the government. In Australia we have had the majority of premiers working hard to stop it and we are now one of the best countries. Common sense I hope will prevale.

No kidding. I lived in Australia in 2018/2019, and talking to my friends over there recently, they are concerned about a couple cases popping up in their area, only to ask me how its going in the US and it's just like "oh, 50k or 60k new cases, still going up" and they are horrified, heh. I can't wait to tell THIS story to the next generation. 😬

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

34 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

No kidding. I lived in Australia in 2018/2019, and talking to my friends over there recently, they are concerned about a couple cases popping up in their area, only to ask me how its going in the US and it's just like "oh, 50k or 60k new cases, still going up" and they are horrified, heh. I can't wait to tell THIS story to the next generation. 😬

Yes they are really good with the contact tracing, all levels of government have taken it seriously from day one, some initial mistakes were made but they were quickly rectified. In Queensland our Premier who will be reelected tonight has resisted calls to open up has done a fantastic job keeping us all safe. We have been fortunate.

• Like 4

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

No trick or treaters here either. 

• Like 4

SLED Gemini

Another story about last night. We’re sitting there eating with friends and they start talking about anniversaries. I looked at my wife and said you know it’s 24 on Tuesday the 2nd. Long pause. We laughed because if the couple hadn’t said anything,  we both would have forgotten. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

10 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

27 trick or treaters braved the chilly night air on Hallowe'en.  WE were only down six or so from last year.  What I did notice was that the kids were on the older side this year than last.  It's hard to know if that means much or just reflects turnover in the neighbourhood with about a half a dozen houses changing hands.

Our neighbours, Stan and Joanne, directly across the street had quite the display with all manner of ghouls and goblins hanging from the tree or staked to the ground.  We had set ourselves up outside to hand out the candy which we had prepackaged in goodie bags that we handed to the kids.  I noticed that many would pass by our neighbours who weren't outside even if they had their lights on.

WE didn't don costumes, but tried to keep the theme with black outfits and orange disposable gloves and Hallowe'en themed masks -- it is still COVID after all.  I carved a pumpkin that was supposed to be an intricate Tiger's head based on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats symbol, but that proved too tall a task using kitchen utensils.  I'm going to look for a pumpkin carving set for next year with fine little serrated blades to help with the detail work.  I wrapped a strand of LED lights around a mason jar and used that instead of a candle and that worked really well.

Several of the neighbours put out big displays of varying sorts, many or which were graveyard themed.  Hallowe'en seems to be a big deal around these parts I'm finding.  We're already working towards our Christmas display.  😉

Gotta try and make life feel as normal as possible.  That soothes the psyche.

They are none existent where we live,  very few young children.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)