Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

My most detestable thing is when anyone touches my stuff, I would happily cut off both of their hands, no excuse for theft.

Hope it’s resolved quickly sco, sounds as if it’s a postal worker that has taken it as once it’s in their hands no one else should have access. Seen many videos recently of the way some American and Canadian postal workers treat the goods, under no illusions we in Australia have the same problem.

Along the same lines, son received a parcel yesterday,the item was damaged beyond repair, this was the sellers fault as it was not packaged in a sufficient manner. It was a bed for his 3D printer and it was only in a thin paper package with a plastic cover, looked as if it had been worked on with a hammer.

I suppose eith the amount of goods posted daily, we are lucky these things do not happen more often.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

My most detestable thing is when anyone touches my stuff, I would happily cut off both of their hands, no excuse for theft.

Hope it’s resolved quickly sco, sounds as if it’s a postal worker that has taken it as once it’s in their hands no one else should have access. Seen many videos recently of the way some American and Canadian postal workers treat the goods, under no illusions we in Australia have the same problem.

Along the same lines, son received a parcel yesterday,the item was damaged beyond repair, this was the sellers fault as it was not packaged in a sufficient manner. It was a bed for his 3D printer and it was only in a thin paper package with a plastic cover, looked as if it had been worked on with a hammer.

I suppose eith the amount of goods posted daily, we are lucky these things do not happen more often.

I'm not prepared to say within whose control the parcel was tampered. It was in many hands from Fed Ex to Pitney Bowes to Canada Customs to Canada Post. It could have disappeared anywhere along the chain. I suppose it had to happen sooner or later as I've made many eBay purchases over the years without issue. At least I have recourse and in the mean time I also have an alternative club(s). We'll see how this plays out, I just hope that there is some sort of relatively timely resolution as we're going to be travelling shortly with limited access to computers should further supporting evidence be required.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Interesting comments on the grip. I've now had the opportunity to hit a half dozen balls into the back woods with the interlock. Can't tell anything about ball flight as I'm only observing about 50 yards. But. There is now no doubt that the grip feels more comfortable in hand, like I have more control of the handle. Noticed in two spots. One, relaxed pressure in my left hand, can actually grip the club in my fingers and still feel like I have sufficient grip pressure to hang on to it during the swing. Two, increased feel of my right hand on the lower portion of the grip. In other words, equilibrium. Automatically.

I've tried interlock and overlap on successive swings and there is no doubt of what I'm experiencing. Feels quite different, to the better. That my right (lower) hand is better engaged with the handle.

Not sure where all this will lead. But based on your comments, may have a positive impact towards improvement. Even a stroke or two over a round would be nice. Once I can get out and hit some balls and observe and see what happens. Creeping incrementalism towards learning how to play better golf.

Additional note. Been fooling around with trying to add a more pronounced wrist c0ck and release during the swing. Not real a c0ck in the Hogan sense, more of a cupping ala Nicklaus. Heretofore, avoided doing this. Preferring a flatter wrist (actually not thinking about it a whole lot). But I've been trying different swing things as a means to recapture a few of the lost yards due to age. If I overdue the c0ck, turns into ugly snap pulls. But have seen some positives with trying to set and release the wrists during the swing. Now its become something of a timing issue. Trying this mostly with driver in hand. I've realized some longer than norm drives while trying to consciously adding some "cup and release" into the swing. Much to early to say its become routine, and only have been trying this while playing with the Mrs. But worth further trial and practice, once I can get back out to the range.

Described in my best language of swing that I can muster. Continue to lack in the fine points of explaining what I'm trying to do or words to describe it. Flying by the seat of my pants. Watched a couple of vids. Found the posts a couple of days back interesting relative to this wrist c0ck thing. Wish I was more interested in delving into the theory of methodology of golf swing to enhance my understanding. Alas, have to go about the process of trying to improve by small bits and pieces of swing mods. Otherwise, I become confused, lost and bored.

Go with it as you said "It already feels comfortable at hand" That means a lot

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Anyone else score better when playing alone.? I almost always shoot better paying alone than when playing with friends. I wish that wasn’t the case because I’d like my friends to see that I can occasionally play decent golf.

Today, played 18 with a couple of friends I haven’t seen in a while...shot 105...yikes. The goal this year is mid 80s again, so rounds like this aren’t helping. Did play a new to me hybrid for the first time, no range time, just put it in the bag. It went ok, some good shots and a few miss-hits. I am really liking my bag set up but for some reason I can’t get any real consistent ball striking going.

My card had pars, a birdie and 7s and 8s....I am trying to think my way around the course, within my ability. But it was tough today..lol.

Anyone else score better when playing alone.? I almost always shoot better paying alone than when playing with friends. I wish that wasn’t the case because I’d like my friends to see that I can occasionally play decent golf.

Today, played 18 with a couple of friends I haven’t seen in a while...shot 105...yikes. The goal this year is mid 80s again, so rounds like this aren’t helping. Did play a new to me hybrid for the first time, no range time, just put it in the bag. It went ok, some good shots and a few miss-hits. I am really liking my bag set up but for some reason I can’t get any real consistent ball striking going.

My card had pars, a birdie and 7s and 8s....I am trying to think my way around the course, within my ability. But it was tough today..lol.

That’s my type of golf, last year shot a 42 on the first 9 and 60 something on the back. So easy to lose shots.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I know that a great swing trumps all. A great swing can play any club. I don’t have a great swing and I have found clubs that help me a bit. Some of my bag is set, and some of my bag could be swapped out in a second.

Driver- 2017 M1 with Oban Devotion 04 65. This thing is a beast. I have tried and tried to find a better shaft but nothing tops the Devo. This thing is long and straight.

3w- Callaway X2 Hot Pro with Tour Green. Very nice club, first 3w that could bump my Vsteel R.I.P. combo. I’ve hit some great shots with this club...not so much lately...I’d flip this thing ina heartbeat if something better came along.

Hybrid- 19deg M1 with Kuro Kage 80 HYS.first round with this club, I’m not sure how much better it is vs my Cally Apex UT 21 but for now it’s in the bag.

4-PW Ping G25. Had these about a month and like them. About a club longer than my Cally X 20s so that’s messing with my gaps but they are nice irons for sure.

Wedges- Cally- MD forged 50/10, X forged 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 64, PM grind 58/10. I mix these up depending on the course, how I’m chipping etc.

Putter- Cleveland Classic 2- had this about a month or two and it’s permanent. I’ve had a couple of years fighting putters but this one fits perfectly.

Ball- 2017 Srixon XV my favorite ball and replaces my last favorite, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Really happy with my bag, I’d like some more consistency with my ball striking but I think I’d need some regular range time for that to happen and currently that’s not an option. Hopefully by the end of the year I’ll be back to mid 80s. Lessons are always good, but I have good swing thoughts and I’m aware of what I’m trying to do. Flatten a bit, in to out, etc. I need to hit more balls in meaningful situations, range balls don’t seem to translate to the course for me....?

Anyway, I’m having fun and that all that matters.

I know that a great swing trumps all. A great swing can play any club. I don’t have a great swing and I have found clubs that help me a bit. Some of my bag is set, and some of my bag could be swapped out in a second.

Driver- 2017 M1 with Oban Devotion 04 65. This thing is a beast. I have tried and tried to find a better shaft but nothing tops the Devo. This thing is long and straight.

3w- Callaway X2 Hot Pro with Tour Green. Very nice club, first 3w that could bump my Vsteel R.I.P. combo. I’ve hit some great shots with this club...not so much lately...I’d flip this thing ina heartbeat if something better came along.

Hybrid- 19deg M1 with Kuro Kage 80 HYS.first round with this club, I’m not sure how much better it is vs my Cally Apex UT 21 but for now it’s in the bag.

4-PW Ping G25. Had these about a month and like them. About a club longer than my Cally X 20s so that’s messing with my gaps but they are nice irons for sure.

Wedges- Cally- MD forged 50/10, X forged 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 64, PM grind 58/10. I mix these up depending on the course, how I’m chipping etc.

Putter- Cleveland Classic 2- had this about a month or two and it’s permanent. I’ve had a couple of years fighting putters but this one fits perfectly.

Ball- 2017 Srixon XV my favorite ball and replaces my last favorite, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Really happy with my bag, I’d like some more consistency with my ball striking but I think I’d need some regular range time for that to happen and currently that’s not an option. Hopefully by the end of the year I’ll be back to mid 80s. Lessons are always good, but I have good swing thoughts and I’m aware of what I’m trying to do. Flatten a bit, in to out, etc. I need to hit more balls in meaningful situations, range balls don’t seem to translate to the course for me....?

Funny that, I hit them extremely well at the range, always straight and a good distance. As with you and possibly many others on here it somehow does not translate to a good game on the course.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Funny that, I hit them extremely well at the range, always straight and a good didtance. As with you and possibly many others on here it somehow does not translate to a good game on the course.

I wish it did...I have gone to “work things out on the range” and done so but once back on the course I seem to forget what I worked out....lol

Nice bag Spooky!

I have a bunch of G25 stuff.

Driver, 3 wood, 20/23/27/31 degree hybrids and irons 4-LW. I have a lot of Ping clubs......Ping

ho that I am...………..or was...……...I'm reformed now. I haven't bought a new club...….in a

long time.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I have found that there's little in the way of a substitute for games played. Range time has done little for me because it is easy to hit 5 or 6 in a row with a given club. That has nothing to do with hitting a different club every shot you take. Practice is probably most valuable to breed consistency and confidence in putting and the short game which is a good thing for me because it doesn't impact my back in the way a full swing might. The other day I made 22 putts in a row from 8 feet. The problem is that when you're on the course if you don't make the first attempt it's going to count as a two putt (or worse). AS my old pal Walter said to me yesterday; when you get to our age (he's 82) it's not about the quality of the golf. It's about getting out there and participating and the companionship of good friends.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Funny that this comes up now. I used to interlock and then went to overlap but lately have been

picking a club up and hands want to interlock again. I was just thinking today that I'm gonna go

with it. I'm glad to hear it's working for you Bill.

That tells me one thing that the interlock is natural for you. I am a big proponent of getting a grip on the club whether it is a regular grip or putter that feels natural and good to you. Then you are not forcing things and are comfortable gripping the club. No tension involved-- tension has ruined a many golf shot.

I agree it is the more natural grip for me. Went away from it for reasons I don't remember. Now

that the memory banks have been erased I think it's time to go back. That also puts my hands

more neutral is well. My grip had been getting stronger over the years.

SLED Gemini

The infamous danger of the range.

Rather than make statements, maybe questions are in order.

* Is it possible that always having a mulligan at the range relaxes a golfer?

* How many golfers rake balls in front of themselves at the range versus stepping into each shot with a pre-shot routine they can use during play?

* How many balls does a golfer typically send toward the same target before changing clubs?

* Does a golfer know his good and not-so-good tendencies on the way to the range and have a basic attack plan to deal with both?

" Do golfers typically perform drills at the range or are they afraid of looking stupid swinging with one foot dropped back and such?

* How many range golfers actually left knowing how many out of ten range balls hit ball first or on the sweet spot?

* Who honestly spends time on balance and rhythm and tempo? How about flighting the ball higher and lower?

* Is the goal at the range to see how far a club will send it - OR - how far it goes with the least amount of effort?

* Out of 100 golfers that appear at the range, how many laid alignment sticks on the ground for one single shot?

* How much time is spent working on and around the greens compared to on the range?

* During play - is it more about how you setup for a shot - including pre-shot, grip, setup, and nice balanced tempo, or is it about showing other players your "stuff".

* During play is there a tendency to start yelling at the ball and cursing the golf gods during the follow-through stroke, or finishing in a consistent finishing pose that you can hold until the ball lands?

* Is it somehow cocky or embarrassing to take a little relaxed practice swing or two before a shot during play? Does NOT taking a practice swing make it suddenly OK if the execution wasn't perfect?

* Provided it's a higher quality mat and not one of those worn-out and rock hard varieties, is there actually a time and place to practice on the mat? Conversely are there types of swings that will never be learned on a mat?

* During practice AND play, does a golfer pay more attention to his own inner peace with his own swing and game, or is he unable to shake off the notion "someone is watching" which changes how he executes (normally for the worse)?

For the record - This golfer isn't above asking himself these same things over and over again. And with a little luck I'll still be asking for many years to come. I'm personally going to keep hitting the range. It's something I totally enjoy and find great peace in it. Oh and most assuredly - I've left the range initially thinking that session deserved an "A+"... but when I actually asked myself many of these same questions - I really deserved an "F". And sure enough the next round played to an F.

Last question... Is it more about what we specifically practice - OR - how we practice?

Anyone else score better when playing alone.? I almost always shoot better paying alone than when playing with friends. I wish that wasn't the case because I'd like my friends to see that I can occasionally play decent golf.

Today, played 18 with a couple of friends I haven't seen in a while...shot 105...yikes. The goal this year is mid 80s again, so rounds like this aren't helping. Did play a new to me hybrid for the first time, no range time, just put it in the bag. It went ok, some good shots and a few miss-hits. I am really liking my bag set up but for some reason I can't get any real consistent ball striking going.

Usually when I play alone I do not play a real round per say. I am usually hitting several balls not holding anyone up of course. And this may sound funny but when playing alone I am enjoying the solitude and soaking in the nature so to speak.

* How many golfers rake balls in front of themselves at the range versus stepping into each shot with a pre-shot routine they can use during play?

* How many balls does a golfer typically send toward the same target before changing clubs?

* Does a golfer know his good and not-so-good tendencies on the way to the range and have a basic attack plan to deal with both?

" Do golfers typically perform drills at the range or are they afraid of looking stupid swinging with one foot dropped back and such?

* How many range golfers actually left knowing how many out of ten range balls hit ball first or on the sweet spot?

* Who honestly spends time on balance and rhythm and tempo? How about flighting the ball higher and lower?

* Is the goal at the range to see how far a club will send it - OR - how far it goes with the least amount of effort?

* Out of 100 golfers that appear at the range, how many laid alignment sticks on the ground for one single shot?

* How much time is spent working on and around the greens compared to on the range?

* During play - is it more about how you setup for a shot - including pre-shot, grip, setup, and nice balanced tempo, or is it about showing other players your "stuff".

* During play is there a tendency to start yelling at the ball and cursing the golf gods during the follow-through stroke, or finishing in a consistent finishing pose that you can hold until the ball lands?

* Is it somehow cocky or embarrassing to take a little relaxed practice swing or two before a shot during play? Does NOT taking a practice swing make it suddenly OK if the execution wasn't perfect?

* Provided it's a higher quality mat and not one of those worn-out and rock hard varieties, is there actually a time and place to practice on the mat? Conversely are there types of swings that will never be learned on a mat?

* During practice AND play, does a golfer pay more attention to his own inner peace with his own swing and game, or is he unable to shake off the notion "someone is watching" which changes how he executes (normally for the worse)?

For the record - This golfer isn't above asking himself these same things over and over again. And with a little luck I'll still be asking for many years to come. I'm personally going to keep hitting the range. It's something I totally enjoy and find great peace in it. Oh and most assuredly - I've left the range initially thinking that session deserved an "A+"... but when I actually asked myself many of these same questions - I really deserved an "F". And sure enough the next round played to an F.

Last question... Is it more about what we specifically practice - OR - how we practice?

All of the above and more.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Pretty good set up--- that driver shaft combo is a beast I am sure but too much shaft for me

3 wood well you are on the fence about it. That is one of those things hard to find a good 3 wood that fits you---- V-Steels are hard to beat-- I am a big V-Steel fan even though I carried the same old Cally Steelhead for 13 seasons. Look over on some of the mainstream equipment threads ( i do not mean classics threads either) and some guys may be ultra modern but still bag a V-Steel or 2.

On the irons I do not know much about the Pings because I am a confirmed old school blade man. With any new iron you have to work on distance gaps some and adjust your game for the new irons. I did hit the G-25s when they first came out. A friend of mine who BTW is 75 years old ordered a set. Now his had a senior flex graphite shaft in them. He insisted I hit his 8 iron on the range one day. With the combo of the soft shaft and low GC I was ballooning his 8 iron as high as I hit a 60* flop wedge. But I could see the potential with the right shaft combo for me

Wedges--- The Cally forged wedges are pretty good their cast ones suck again IMHO--- I do have a couple of Cally forged wedges and one cast PM grind

Putters I will say one thing You have to have one no matter the brand style or age that first off fits your eye and second of all fits your feel. I have seen guys putt

the lights out with expensive Scottys and Pirettis but then again I have seen guys putt the lights out with 40 year old Bullseyes and even a Putt Putt putter.

All in all I say you have a pretty good set up

Personally I have never been a Range Rat even in my comp days. The only time the range does not bore me is when I am either dialing in a set of clubs or club I have tinkered with. Before a round I will hit about 10 balls max with my wedges to time myself up. I get more out of playing a 9 hole practice round than I do a bucket of balls. Most of my practice time if I bother to practice at all is around the putting and chipping green. You guys have to understand me I am at the stage of my life now that I do not care what I shoot and could care less if I practice or not. Honestly I play one day a week and shoot mid to high 70s and low 80s. A guy told me the other day "You know if you practice and play more you could still play" I told him why in the hell would I want to do that? I play for fun have a job making decent money that I love and do not take golf serious any more. Hell I am having the time of my life. A lot of the golf fun for me now is taking clubs 40 50 even 60 years old off the junk pile and shooting low to mid 80s with them untested and modified.

Funny that this comes up now. I used to interlock and then went to overlap but lately have been

picking a club up and hands want to interlock again. I was just thinking today that I'm gonna go

with it. I'm glad to hear it's working for you Bill.

That tells me one thing that the interlock is natural for you. I am a big proponent of getting a grip on the club whether it is a regular grip or putter that feels natural and good to you. Then you are not forcing things and are comfortable gripping the club. No tension involved-- tension has ruined a many golf shot.

I agree it is the more natural grip for me. Went away from it for reasons I don't remember. Now

that the memory banks have been erased I think it's time to go back. That also puts my hands

more neutral is well. My grip had been getting stronger over the years.

Yep sometimes you do have to run what I call a basic check---- I do not give 2 hoots what the gurus say anyone that has played golf for a while knows what works for THEM whether it is grip or stance. Sometimes a layoff is good and like you say erases the memory banks. Then you get back to YOUR more natural approach to golf. I am not and never have been a proponent of method and the mechanical approach to the golf swing. One of the reasons I have never been a swing instructor even when I was a class A professional. I do not believe and never have believed that there is one etched in stone way to swing a club or play the game period. Too much thinking about method on the course leads to "trying to get it right" and that leads to tension IMHO. Now on the other hand I am downright anal about working on clubs. If I am working on my clubs or someone else's they do not leave my shop until they are right period. One of the reasons I do not think I could really make a living running a club repair shop. When we had the shop Big John or his FIL usually did the stock clone builds and I did all the repairs and what I call "Super Tuning" . Now I did do all of the custom builds on even clone clubs for the customers. Tipping a shaft glueing the shaft putting a grip on that is boreing to me. Now fine tuning before assembly that is my thing.

Anyone else score better when playing alone.? I almost always shoot better paying alone than when playing with friends. I wish that wasn't the case because I'd like my friends to see that I can occasionally play decent golf.

Today, played 18 with a couple of friends I haven't seen in a while...shot 105...yikes. The goal this year is mid 80s again, so rounds like this aren't helping. Did play a new to me hybrid for the first time, no range time, just put it in the bag. It went ok, some good shots and a few miss-hits. I am really liking my bag set up but for some reason I can't get any real consistent ball striking going.

Usually when I play alone I do not play a real round per say. I am usually hitting several balls not holding anyone up of course. And this may sound funny but when playing alone I am enjoying the solitude and soaking in the nature so to speak.

This to a T. Really enjoy playing solo rounds. Even better when I walk, using the push cart. Appreciate the quiet and the environment I'm in. Never take along a scorecard. Will drop a second ball and try a shot again if I'm not satisfied with the first one. One course in particular, can survey the lay of the land quite easily. To determine if I have an opportunity to hit 4 shots into the green from 125 yards and not impact another group playing up behind me.

The solo round also affords me the opportunity to bring out the vintage gear. A set of persimmon woods, the old Hogan irons, a bullseye. Spank them around for couple of hours, or at least try. No one is watching, thus no judgements are made. Simply the singular purpose of trying to hit them the best I can. And every once in awhile, a well struck ball off the face of a persimmon wood. And you say to yourself, "Oh Yeah. That's sweet". And chase after that sensation again with subsequent shots. Hard to describe, but its quite compelling.

Not that I don't enjoy playing with the buds, in the league. Those are social and some measure of competition (league). Trying to play your best. But solo, no pressure, no expectations other than trying to hit a "good shot" with each swing. There is a certain purity to playing alone. Just yourself, a ball, and an expanse of terra firma. Golf in its simplest form. Far from the maddening crowd.

Without trying to wax overly philosophical, but there are fleeting moments when the play becomes.........existential.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

It depends how many pairs of eyes are watching.

Is there any other way? The raking that is. I've never really understood this slavish adherence to a complex pre-shot routine, but I suppose even I have one as simple as it is.

Five is a nice round number.

I'm just trying to develop a bit of consistency and make decent contact. I'll need to go back and watch a few more videos to see what my attack plan should be...

" Do golfers typically perform drills at the range or are they afraid of looking stupid swinging with one foot dropped back and such?t

I see young guys doing drills. I don't practice enough to have drills.

The same number that know how many flushed shots they hit during a round. It's not hard to remember because it's probably about one!

In my world balance, rhythm and tempo are the basis for everything and playing as close to pain free as possible. Ball flight comes much later.

I like the idea of least effort, but I doubt that it's widely sought after. I'd be happy with consistent distance with average effort.

One or two...maybe. I bought some sticks, but have yet to use them.

When I do go to the range I'll hit a small or medium bucket and then move to the practice green. I can easily spend a third on hitting, a third on short game and a third on putting. On a typical nine holes I might have 20 full swings, 15 putts and 10 short game shots. Practice should mirror playing.

We attempt to do the former and if it's done well the result will be the latter! ;)

How about neither. Even the young guys don't hold their finish that long and the cursing doesn't come until the result is apparent!

I always take a couple of practice swings. I guess that's my pre-shot routine. Might even take a few more if it's a testy short game shot.

I personally have never found the time to practice on a mat. You won't get the same feedback that you get from hitting off of grass.

With the jokers that I play with the shot off the first tee is the shot that matters as that's the one that elicits commentary from the peanut gallery. Get that out of the way and it's a peaceful easy feeling the rest of the way...

I've never been a range rat. I'm still working off the tokens that I bought at least 5 years ago -- 20 medium buckets for $100. That tells you how much I practice.

Probably a little bit of both.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Or as George Thorogood might say "When I Play Golf Alone, I Prefer to Play by Myself"...

[media=]

[/media]

Couldn't view Sixty's vid, so went with this one instead:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'll take a stab at this as well. To recognize the composition effort:

* Is it possible that always having a mulligan at the range relaxes a golfer? Never thought of it this way. Just trying to hit a good shot and then repeat it.

* How many golfers rake balls in front of themselves at the range versus stepping into each shot with a pre-shot routine they can use during play? Initially, try and implement pre-shot routine. But about half way through a large bucket, tend to start raking.

* How many balls does a golfer typically send toward the same target before changing clubs? Varies. A fair amount of time is spent with just a 7 iron in hand shooting at a target that's ~ 145 yards away. I'm working on the swing, not hitting a particular club "x" yards.

* Does a golfer know his good and not-so-good tendencies on the way to the range and have a basic attack plan to deal with both? No. Don't know enough about my swing tendencies to have established an attack plan. Simply trying to hit the ball straight with some rhythm to the swing.

" Do golfers typically perform drills at the range or are they afraid of looking stupid swinging with one foot dropped back and such? Don't know any drills to utilize at the range.

* How many range golfers actually left knowing how many out of ten range balls hit ball first or on the sweet spot? No idea. Simply try and have more quality ball strikes than inferior ones. That in the end, the time spent was a worthwhile endeavor on the whole.

* Who honestly spends time on balance and rhythm and tempo? How about flighting the ball higher and lower? ​Balance, rhythm and tempo is the primary focus of why I'm there. It's the most important factor with trying to improve my swing. Where it all begins. Flighting the ball, never.

* Is the goal at the range to see how far a club will send it - OR - how far it goes with the least amount of effort? ​How far is only a consideration with the driver. Practice smooth and easy to maximize distance. Unfortunately, this doesn't always translate when it's for reelz. Don't spend much range time with D in hand.

* Out of 100 golfers that appear at the range, how many laid alignment sticks on the ground for one single shot? Never paid much attention. Every now and again will notice sticks. Have my own tour issue Home Depot variety that I take periodically. Most of the time, just drop another club to check alignment.

* How much time is spent working on and around the greens compared to on the range? Not nearly enough. Chip and pitch has been by nemesis for way to long. Do spend time putting when I go to one facility in particular. They have a very nice practice green. But I kinda get bored after about 20 minutes of practice putting.

* During play - is it more about how you setup for a shot - including pre-shot, grip, setup, and nice balanced tempo, or is it about showing other players your "stuff"? Don't have anywhere close to enough "stuff" to be showing off. It's all of the prior. Take care of that, may have the opportunity to hit a shot to impress.

* During play is there a tendency to start yelling at the ball and cursing the golf gods during the follow-through stroke, or finishing in a consistent finishing pose that you can hold until the ball lands? I'll talk to the ball sometimes. Like "get there", "be enough club". Only curse myself after a crappy shot. I'm the only one responsible for the bad execution. Never hold a tour pose. Will reach down for the tee, while the ball is in the air if I clip a good one.

* Is it somehow cocky or embarrassing to take a little relaxed practice swing or two before a shot during play? Does NOT taking a practice swing make it suddenly OK if the execution wasn't perfect? ​That subject has been touched upon before. I've eliminated the practice swing. It's not the same as the real swing. Wasted time and effort. Focus on setup and alignment. Grip and go.

* Provided it's a higher quality mat and not one of those worn-out and rock hard varieties, is there actually a time and place to practice on the mat? Conversely are there types of swings that will never be learned on a mat? ​I loath hitting off mats. Tells me nothing about how the club is interacting with the ground. Don't know how one can learn to hit a proper wedge shot hitting off of mats. The only appropriate time for mats is at the golf dome in January. When there are no other options.

* During practice AND play, does a golfer pay more attention to his own inner peace with his own swing and game, or is he unable to shake off the notion "someone is watching" which changes how he executes (normally for the worse)? Go to the range during times when it's not crowded (weekdays, early afternoon is usually prime). Can find my space to do my thing. Thus, no reason for suffering any stage freight.

For the record - This golfer isn't above asking himself these same things over and over again. And with a little luck I'll still be asking for many years to come. I'm personally going to keep hitting the range. It's something I totally enjoy and find great peace in it. Oh and most assuredly - I've left the range initially thinking that session deserved an "A+"... but when I actually asked myself many of these same questions - I really deserved an "F". And sure enough the next round played to an F. On the whole, prefer playing rather than going to the range. Six times over the course of the season would be pretty typical. Have these grand notions of more range time and practice. But the reality is I do not allocate the time, nor have the inclination to do so. Other than every once in awhile.

Last question... Is it more about what we specifically practice - OR - how we practice? ​ Some of both I suppose. I don't hit the range with specific ideas in mind. Other than tempo, tempo, tempo . And maybe some experimentation with things like swing plane, hip turns, and now maybe a grip change.

As I sit here reading, the wee lad has taken to whacking his golf ball around the family room. He spends time every day at his indoor range. Using his plastic iron today (looks to be about a 5 in loft). Makes no difference whether the ball goes 6" or across the room. Every shot is met with raised arms, with club in hand, and a "Daaaaahhh". Like he just made a 30' putt. He's not bashful about showing off his stuff.

Ah, the exuberance of youth. Every shot is a good one. Lesson: Good, bad or indifferent, perhaps need to add more "Daaaahh" to my game. Golf is suppose to be fun. Otherwise, what's the point.

Yup! We can learn a lot from the children and the joy they get from discovery and play. AS adults we get so focused on getting somewhere that we can forget to enjoy the ride!

--------------------------

Swung some irons this morning in between showers after my morning walk. Maybe 10 minutes or so worth using a 4, 7, PW. Decided to give a few hits and after 3 balls thought better of it. I could feel muscles in my butt grabbing a bit. Thought I had it worked out with some stretches, but not real comfortable at the moment.

I guess my weeding episode on Wednesday has set me back a bit as I haven't been quite right since despite a massage and physiotherapy appointment. Best to lay low as we're flying out west on Tuesday morning. You think that you're getting there, but you're not. Doesn't take much to upset the apple cart. Maybe quite sometime before I play golf yet. :dntknw:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm more like Stu and Fella when I play alone; which admittedly hasn't been often. I tend to

goof off and use the time for practice and don't keep score. I'm not a range rat either. I'm

probably the epitome of a social golfer. I enjoy having companions when I play.

I played most of my solo rounds when I played on the road. If there was someone to play

with I would opt for that but often I would get put out solo because no one else was around.

I really enjoyed playing with random strangers when I was playing on the road. I played with

all sorts of interesting characters from many walks of life. It was good for me to do that

because it got me used to playing with all sorts of people at various skill levels. At some

point I grew comfortable with it.

SLED Gemini

Well I've experienced a first. The mail lady delivered a long narrow package from eBay that was supposed to contain my used Cleveland RTX-3 CB 54° wedge with graphite shaft. The box was empty! :huh: No club, no paperwork?

It appears as thought the box may have been carefully opened on one end so as to remove the contents, but not appear as though the packaging was damaged. I thought it was awfully light when the mail carrier handed it to me!

What a rigmarole to try and open a request for settlement with eBay when they don't even want to deal with something that they believe to not have been delivered due to out-of-date tracking, basically saying call back in two weeks if you haven't got it. Do they think that the thief is going to gain a conscience in the mean time and send the club along on his/her own dime? :rolleyes:

Sent an message to the seller eventually after I figured out how to work around their system to get them involved and maybe speed the process along the way. Very disappointing! :angry:

Just to bring everyone up-to-date on this I have been denied a refund based on tracking information that shows delivery of the package. I have asked for an appeal, but am not hopeful as the initial application was denied and closed within a half hour of me filing it. So much for insured shipping via the Global Shipping Policy! I'm actually shocked that this was dismissed so quickly out of hand! I have yet to talk to a human. :angry:

[Added] 2 hours later on the phone I have discovered that the insurance policy attached to my credit card that I used to pay for this only covers new items from the original retailer, so I am completely at the mercy of eBay. Regardless of the outcome, this will be the last purchase I make from eBay or any affiliated companies!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You guys talking about little ones just melts my heart... I love it. My DW is busy making some great smelling brats and sauerkraut on the range right now. Brian is coming over from his town about an hour away in a little bit. Seems like just yesterday he was a tyke, with plastic clubs, or baseball gloves, or his flight simulator. Today he had the great idea to come over so we could all watch the World Cup :fie: The only soccer I've ever liked is when the kids played in it. Just the thought of these adult guys running around hugging each other when they score, ugh... but, the comedy value of when they go down to the ground with knee injuries from the wind blowing on them from a guy on the other team passing too close is worth it :yes: But, on the other hand, watching it with your son who enjoys it tremendously cancels out all the things you don't like about it, like in my case when he takes me flying, and thanks me for the years growing up that we all spent together, doing whatever we did because we all enjoyed being together then too...

Do not get me started about soccer, it has the most idiotic supporters ever in all the history of supporters. In my 20s, now there is a good memory :), I used to play rugby union on Saturday afternoon, sometimes the game would be cancelled and so we would go to one of the local division 1 soccer matches. Listening to the supporters was a lesson in lunacy, I was amazed at how many of them were only there to cause trouble, you could bet on it every week there would be a fight, none of the regular soccer attendees seemed surprised. This is the situation world wide, how many times do we see riots after a team loses, unlike us golfers who are so laid back and can accept defeat with a smile :(.

Nice pic by the way two handsome looking dudes.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

You guys talking about little ones just melts my heart... I love it. My DW is busy making some great smelling brats and sauerkraut on the range right now. Brian is coming over from his town about an hour away in a little bit. Seems like just yesterday he was a tyke, with plastic clubs, or baseball gloves, or his flight simulator. Today he had the great idea to come over so we could all watch the World Cup :fie: The only soccer I've ever liked is when the kids played in it. Just the thought of these adult guys running around hugging each other when they score, ugh... but, the comedy value of when they go down to the ground with knee injuries from the wind blowing on them from a guy on the other team passing too close is worth it :yes: But, on the other hand, watching it with your son who enjoys it tremendously cancels out all the things you don't like about it, like in my case when he takes me flying, and thanks me for the years growing up that we all spent together, doing whatever we did because we all enjoyed being together then too...

Do not get me started about soccer, it has the most idiotic supporters ever in all the history of supporters. In my 20s, now there is a good memory :), I used to play rugby union on Saturday afternoon, sometimes the game would be cancelled and so we would go to one of the local division 1 soccer matches. Listening to the supporters was a lesson in lunacy, I was amazed at how many of them were only there to cause trouble, you could bet on it every week there would be a fight, none of the regular soccer attendees seemed surprised. This is the situation world wide, how many times do we see riots after a team loses, unlike us golfers who are so laid back and can accept defeat with a smile :(.

Nice pic by the way two handsome looking dudes.

I've heard lots of stories about soccer hooliganism. Fortunately I haven't experienced any of it. I remember when our boys played and it was enjoyable to watch the matches. Shoot, I caught the bits and pieces of the just finished Germany/Sweden tilt including the game decider in extra time! Pretty exciting stuff for a casual observer who has no horse in the race. Mind you, I stayed up until 1:30 last night to watch the CFL match between our hometown Tiger-Cats and the Edmonton squad. 38-24 for us, so that was a treat. They should rename it as the Canadian Fun League cause that's what it is. Even the commentators have personality and are hilarious; bunch of old footballers that have had one too many knocks upside the head! They tell it like it is. :happy:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well I've experienced a first. The mail lady delivered a long narrow package from eBay that was supposed to contain my used Cleveland RTX-3 CB 54° wedge with graphite shaft. The box was empty! :huh: No club, no paperwork?

It appears as thought the box may have been carefully opened on one end so as to remove the contents, but not appear as though the packaging was damaged. I thought it was awfully light when the mail carrier handed it to me!

What a rigmarole to try and open a request for settlement with eBay when they don't even want to deal with something that they believe to not have been delivered due to out-of-date tracking, basically saying call back in two weeks if you haven't got it. Do they think that the thief is going to gain a conscience in the mean time and send the club along on his/her own dime? :rolleyes:

Sent an message to the seller eventually after I figured out how to work around their system to get them involved and maybe speed the process along the way. Very disappointing! :angry:

Just to bring everyone up-to-date on this I have been denied a refund based on tracking information that shows delivery of the package. I have asked for an appeal, but am not hopeful as the initial application was denied and closed within a half hour of me filing it. So much for insured shipping via the Global Shipping Policy! I'm actually shocked that this was dismissed so quickly out of hand! I have yet to talk to a human. :angry:

[Added] 2 hours later on the phone I have discovered that the insurance policy attached to my credit card that I used to pay for this only covers new items from the original retailer, so I am completely at the mercy of eBay. Regardless of the outcome, this will be the last purchase I make from eBay or any affiliated companies!

Poor form on their part, but I suppose they have so many fake claims, we have had several parcels that have obviosly been tampered with, to date though nothing missing, fingers crossed.

On a similar subject, when I was recuperating from my finger loss, part of my rehabilitation was working In a retail store. I was amazed at what people will steal. Every Monday was looking at shelves time, working through the boxes to find those that had been opened and a part of the contents taken. Some packages were only worth one or two dollars with several small items in them and just one would be taken. I could not understand why someone would risk jail time over such a trivial amount. One person went all the way but we caught him, he had filled a garbage bin with electrical items, dressed himself down and walked out, he was caught Loding it into the back of his van, he had literally hundreds of dollars worth of good in there plus the very large garbage bin. How he expected to get away with it I don’t know, it’s the brazen way they do it.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Could you elaborate a little more on this question please? The way the question reads it's clear that you have some thoughts on this, and I would love to know more. I've never hit off of a mat. Thanks!

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)